Nancy Metcalf

• When, where and why did you start to play volleyball? That's something you have ever dreamed of?
    I started playing volleyball at the age of 14, for my school team. I played because most girls in my school played (there were only 14 girls my age in my class at my school). I liked playing volleyball, but swimming was the sport I loved. I had been swimming with a competitive team for 4 years, and thought that was the sport I would continue in. However, my high school didn't have a competitive team, so I continued playing volleyball and basketball there. By the time I finished high school, I loved the sport, and found out I could pay for my college education by playing a sport I loved!

When did you realize volleyball could be a job for you?
    I never really saw volleyball as something that would be a job for me. I thought after college if I could play for a couple of years and earn some money, that would be about all I could do. That was 7 years ago, and I am still loving playing. To think that I've been able to earn a living from it still surprises me sometimes!

A lot of coaches say that it’s hard to set up the block for a left-handed player. What’s your opinion on that? Do you think that being left-handed brings some advantage when you’re going to attack?
    I think most good teams have faced a left-handed player pretty regularly, so most players are able to adjust for blocking me to be in the right position, so I don't think it's much of an advantage that way.

This years you'll be 30. Can you make an assessment of your career?
    Well, it has been longer than I thought it would be. When I finished college, I thought I would try to make the 2004 Olympic team (3 years away) and play the seasons until then. But I thought that after the 2004 Olympics, I would quit playing and move on to another job. However at that time, I decided I still loved playing and wanted to continue. Playing volleyball has also helped my husband and I to start a business in Nebraska, where we live, so this has opened doors for us outside of the volleyball world.

What do you think about the level of volleyball played in the Turkish League?
    In the Turkish League, there are probably 4 or 5 teams that are all very good. This league has a limit of 3 foreign players per team, so the level is not as high as a league like Italy, where they are allowed many more foreign players. But the competition between the teams in this league is very difficult among the top teams.

You were nearly having a terrible accident in Diyarbakır a few months ago... How that event affected you and the team?
    What happened in Diyarbakir didn't really affect our team. Turkey (as a country) is continually attacking the Kurds in Iraq in response to the attacks the Kurds do to the Turkish people in that region. So for our Turkish girls, once their families knew that they were alright, it wasn't that big of a deal to them. For us, it was a little bit scary, because we are not used to being in a region that is so unstable. We learn to be careful when we are overseas because of animosity (bad feelings) towards Americans, but that attack wasn't even about anything American, we were just in a place that was attacked. So that made it pretty scary for us as Americans.

Do you think USA has some chance of winning OG? What teams do you consider to be favorites?
    I think 6 teams all have a good chance to win the Olympic Games in 2008. The USA definitely has a chance, but Cuba is always strong in the Olympic year. Italy has a very good team right now. China is very good and will be playing at home, so they will fight harder for victory. Brazil is always a very good national team as well. Russia is very good if they are playing well. There are several teams from Europe that can surprise people by playing very well. There will definitely be very good competition at the Olympics!

Do you have any superstitions (related to matches)?
    I don't do anything because of superstition, but I have my own routine that I follow before games. I think routine is important to help your mind be ready when you step on the court.

Do you have any problems because of being tall? :)
    The only problem I have is finding clothes that fit right, because my arms and legs are very long, and my feet are very big!

What are your next goals?
    Right now, my next goal is to help my team in Turkey win the Championship for this league!

Thanks USOC and Nancy Metcalf for the pictures.

• Nancy is very good player.I can watch her league matches.Her face is so childish for me :D But i didn't heard about accident in Diyarbakir.
    And Thank you :)

• I like this player....if it was my decision she would still be in USA's NT....maybe if she played in a stronger team....I don't know....

I also didn't know about this incident in Turkey.... :what: ....definetly the fact must had been really scary...for anyone....specialy an american....I mean...must be strange.....but glad nothing serious happened....

• The team she plays on is plenty strong ;) Her not being a part of the USA NT is out of her own choice and nothing else...

Well, if you have been playing for so many years non-stop, you need to get some rest at one point ;)
    USA volleyball missed her a lot during 2007 season, and it was not only it was her decision but also a totally right one, if she needed time for herself, it's because she knows what is best for hersel ;)

(But I still have hopes she'll be able to play OG :P)

• The team she plays on is plenty strong Her not being a part of the USA NT is out of her own choice and nothing else...

Well, if you have been playing for so many years non-stop, you need to get some rest at one point
    USA volleyball missed her a lot during 2007 season, and it was not only it was her decision but also a totally right one, if she needed time for herself, it's because she knows what is best for hersel

(But I still have hopes she'll be able to play OG )

I didn't know shw was out cause she wanted...I thought was Lang Ping's choise....well....then is good to know is her choise!!hehehe....I agree that Istanbul is good...what I mean was a stronger league...like the Italian one for example.....

And I agree with you Nivea...I think the players know better their own time....are us, the fans, that sufer...and be hoping for them to come back!hehehehe :lol:

But I hope she will be back for Olympic Games as well...

• I'm not sure she'll come back to OG because she may have to undergo shoulder surgery, but I hope she doesn't need it :)
    I got so mad that she didn't came to Pan Am and blamed Ping sooo much haha but then I knew that it was Metcalf's choice and I can't get mad at her :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Nice interview.
    She is one of my favourite players too. I believe that was her decision. I don't believe any conflicts will happen between two nice people.
    I was very worry about the USA team when competing the World Cup without Metcalf. But USA surprisingly won Brazil, that's amazing. I totally adored Lang Ping and devoted players.
    Anyway, I also hope she could be back for Olympic Games.

• just wanted to share that about 1 week ago Nancy had surgery on her shoulder, and probably won't be able to take part in USA NT during the olympic games...

• if nancy has no problem noone can stop her. and i never saw volleyball player that muscled like her.

• Nancy's maiden name is Nancy Meendering. She is one of the few players i really admire. She's just very very humble. And she's very cute. And she's a very good opposite player. I will be missing her in Beijing but i know she will cheer for the US. USA will definitely be missing her services but there are a couple of players who can do the job as well.

Good Luck on the turkish league!

"[size=8]It's years and years of work and sacrifice and dedication. Along with a lot of these girls, we've sweat and we've bled and we've cried together in past Olympics. It just brought tears to my eyes, & I'm more than thrilled. This will be forever." -LOGAN MAILE LEI TOM (Silver Medallist - 2008 Beijing & 2012 London Olympic Games, 2011 World Cup runner up, 2003 & 2007 World Cup 3rd place, 2002 World Champs runner up, 4-time World GrandPrix Champs)