Marcus Popp

• When, where and why did you start to play volleyball?
    In Paris 1990 because my father told me to try to play. He is also a player but an amateur.

Could you tell us something more about your beach volleyball career?
    From 2000 until 2005 I played beach every summer. I like it very much. I won several tournaments in Germany and also a FIVB Challenger in Italy. I was 3rd at the German Beach Championship and 2nd at the u23 Beach European Champioship in Stare Jablonki close to Olsztyn.

What is your experience to play in Italy?
    Its a good experience because the played level is very high. If you dont play your maximum you can't win and that is very satisfying. The strongest players from the wold are playing there, its an honor for me to play with and against them.

What are your weak and strong points?
    My weak points is my impatience. I want to know to do everything immediatley but its obvious that its not possible. My strong point is my positive lifestyle. I am smiling a lot and I am enjoying life very much that is the key to much satisfaction. Regarding volleyball techniques it depends on the day and the period but my athletic is also a strong point.

Which are the best skills of your team?
    The group was our best skill, we played together and pushed us always to play a good level. We like eachother and that helps very much to give the best on the court.

What do you like the most in volleyball?
    I like that you need to be smart to play volleyball. You have to use your brain otherwise nothing would work. And i like very much to do a monsterblock, especially because I am not the tallest guy.

Is volleyball popular in your country?
    We are working on that. It could be better but now that we qualified for the Olympic Games I think that we will have a better reaction from the medias. This beautiful sport needs to be in TV.

Who is the funniest player on the German NT?
    For me its Simon Tischer, we are laughing a lot, he is a funny guy with a special crazy sense of humor like me.

What do you like to do in your free time?
    I like surfing in the internet and I like to cruise with my car. I am interested in lot of things.

Do you have any dream?
    I had a dream, that was the qualification to the Olympic Games, now we did it an di am very happy. My next big dream is to play in London 2012 or 2016 is a beachvolleyballplayer. I want to be like Karch Kiraly!

Pictures: DVV and AP

• Who is the funniest player on the German NT?
    For me its Simon Tischer, we are laughing a lot, he is a funny guy with a special crazy sense of humor like me.

after seeing some videos on youtube i thought jochen schops is the funniest player on the german nt :lol: