Debby Stam

• When, where and why did you start to play volleyball?
    I was 7 when I started playing volleyball, that was at VV Zaanstad. My parents wanted me to play a teamsport. They let me decide what sport it will be, and because my mother played volleyball already, I wanted to play as well.

What would you have done if you hadn't volleyball player?
    I have a passion for fashion. So maybe I will be a visagist, stylist or a photographer!

The most important success and the biggest defeat in you career?
    The most important success for me and my team was winning the WGP 07.
    The biggest defeat was ofcourse that we didn’t qualified for the Olympic Games

What do you like the most in volleyball?
    Actually I like every part of volleyball. Maybe I like the most to play quick and tricky combinations!

What is your main motivation which makes you fight on court?
    I always want to be the best and I don’t like to loose… Do I have to say more?

What are your weak and strong points?
    I think my strongest point are defence, reception and service.
    On the other effors I think I can still improve a lot.

In your opinion, who is the best player playing on your position?
    Lioubov Sokolova

What was the main reason, why you decided to accept the proposition from Russian club?
    Belgorod showed a lot of interest from the beginning. They were very enthousiastic about me and that gave me a very good feeling.

Remember WGP2007. What was your first thought after you realized that your team had become the best in the world?
    In the beginning I didn’t realised it. But later I was so happy that we showed everybody that we can play such a high level. And that our project really worked and made us a really strong team!

Did something change in people attitude toward to your team after winning WGP2007? Had you started to feel increased pressure and responsibility?
    People are more focussed on the team right after winning the WGP 07. They expect a lot more than before. For the team it was a really different situation, something we could not handle with during the following tournaments unfortunately…

Sometimes defeat may give to the player more than victories do. After the games in Halle and last games in the Champions League, do you feel that you had matured, became more confident in decisive moments?
    It’s always difficult to loose, especially on the decisive moments. Loosing on these moments makes you stronger and more experience during the way and you can use this in the future.

If you could decide to continue the National Team as a club project, or to stop it, what would be your decision?
    On this moment I think it’s good that the project is over. I learned a lot, and now it’s time to get experience in an other competition. I think these experiences are necessary to become a stronger player.

If NeVoBo decide to start 'The Project' again in a couple of years, will you join it?
    I am not sure. I absolutly believe in this project, so when the conditions are good I will think about it.

If you were a coach, which players would you chose to play in your team?
    Setter, Feng Kun
    Middle blocker, Ingrid Visser and Simona Gioli
    Outside hitter, Lioubov Sokolova and Paula
    Opposite, Angelina Grun
    Libero, Sano Yuko

Who is your favourite male volleyball player if you have one?
    Paul Pilon

Have you ever taken part in the beach volley competitions?
    Yes. This summer actually, because we got a lot of weeks free. I wanted to stay in shape, so that’s why Kim (Stealens) and me decided to play on the beach. It was really fun!

Are you going to support some teams on Olympic Games? Which are they?
    Yes, I am gonna support beachvolleyball team Boersma/Ronnes. Emiel (Boersma) and Bram (Ronnes) are good friends of mine.

How do you think, is watching technical time-outs interesting for the spectators, or maybe it's worth to play bigger number of shorter sets without TTO to make volleyball more popular?
    I think this is a really difficult question. But although very intressting, because it would be very nice if volleyball become more populair.
    I think volleyball is a great television sport, in the time-out you can, for example, represent statistics and that makes it maybe more intressting.

What country, of those where you played (with club and NT), you memorized most of all and why?
    I really like to go to Italy. The food is always really delicious. Also I like to go to Japan, the way they repesent volleyball is really different! And also the people there are really nice.

What do you like to do most of all, except playing volleyball? Your biggest hobby?
    Shopping!

You had made a great photo session with Ronald Hoogendoorn. Are you going to make a new one with another photographer? You definitely should!
    The photoshoot with Ronald was really fun.
    When a good photographer will ask me to do a shoot I think I will do it again.

What do you rather prefer, to go to the noisy party or to stay at home watching TV, or your choice?
    I like to have a good time with my friends and boyfriend so it depence in which mood we are. Sometimes we go to a party, but most of the times we have diner to getter, go to a movie….

What's your favourite band?
    Nouvelle Vague (French band)

Please, name the book, that you have recently read and your favourite book ever.
    Nicolas Flamel, The Alchemist. That’s the last book I red. I love the books of Harry Potter.

What is your favourite movie?
    Le Fabuleux destin d’Amelie Poulain

Do you have any dream?
    In sport it’s still to be at the Olympics one day.

Pictures: volleyrosa.net & daylife.com

• It's a pity Netherlands is not on the OG. If they were, it would be just great! ;(

• YEAH BABY!!!!!!! THIS IS THE THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I can now surely say, that to read an "xtra long" ((c) Nastja :D ) interviews is much funnier than standart ones. You can really feel, that you're becoming a little bit closer to your favourite player. And you can get the answers to the questions, which would never be asked in another case. I want to say huge thanks to Justyna, to Nastja and to Debby, who was patient enough to answer this longest ever questionnaire!!! 8o :thumbup: :drink:

Quote from Debby

My parents wanted me to play a teamsport.

Never heard it to be that way. That parents wanted a child to play exactly the 'team' sport. Not just a sport, or some specific kind of sport. Interesting, what was the reason?...

Quote from Debby

I always want to be the best and I don’t like to loose… Do I have to say more?

It would be great to learn, does she feel a sporting anger sometimes. I think, it can really add strengths in difficult moments.

Quote from Debby

Belgorod showed a lot of interest from the beginning. They were very enthousiastic about me and that gave me a very good feeling.

I'm very glad, that relation with the team is more important than money :thumbup:

Quote from Justyna

If NeVoBo decide to start 'The Project' again in a couple of years, will you join it?
    I am not sure. I absolutly believe in this project, so when the conditions are good I will think about it.

Honestly, I expected more certain answer. At least because if they will decide to start over, it turns to be the only way to London 2012...

That's a great question! Respect to a person who asked it! :drink:

Quote from Justyna

Do you have any dream?
    In sport it’s still to be at the Olympics one day.

I'm wishing soooooo badly this dream to become a truth... ^^

• Oooohhhhh!!!! :rose:

Thanks girls!!!I loved the interview!!!

I know Lightmaster is the bigest fan...hehe...but if he alowds me...I love Netherland team too!!!and I REALLY hope to see then shining at the next competitions!!!!!And they will definetly be in London in 2012!!! :super:

• I know Lightmaster is the bigest fan...hehe...but if he alowds me...I love Netherland team too!!!and I REALLY hope to see then shining at the next competitions!!!!!And they will definetly be in London in 2012!!! :super:

Hehe.. Feel free! ;)
    I love the fact, that you love the Team! :D

• I just talked to debby and she said that her bf is working on her website and that she will write there about her experiences in russia etc and that we can feel free to copy and paste here :lol:

btw she is happy to know that there are positive comments about her interview :thumbup:

So, a big thanks from our team and Debby for enjoying these interviews

• Happy birthday to Debby! :kiss:
    Wish her all the best! Be healthy and happy! :drink:

• I just talked to debby and she said that her bf is working on her website and that she will write there about her experiences in russia etc and that we can feel free to copy and paste here :lol:

I'm wondering, in what language will this site be? If in Dutch, than her new russian fans and me too will have some 'little troubles' trying to understand something there :lol:

• Congratulations Stam!!!!!

What a day....Stam, Barazza and Lehtonen borned in the same day!!!!!!! :drink:

I agree with you Light master!!!I hope there is a setions in english in her site!!! :roll:

• She's awesome... :D

• Thanks LightMaster!!!!

I also really like the site!!!!! I just wish also had a part in english...but maybe that is for the future!=)

I've read your comment already. So nice... You're really have a chance to see them live playing in Brazil 8o

• I've read your comment already. So nice... You're really have a chance to see them live playing in Brazil 8o

^^ ...hehehehe...yeah....I wrote there...hehehe

Is true!!!So I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!! :lol: ....Would be perfect a group like... Brasil, Netherland, Germany and Poland!!!!hehehehe....but I think is really hard...the way I'm lucky will problably going to be Thailand, Dominican Republic and some other, I don't know :lol: ....(nothing against this ones guys....just aren't my favorites!!! ^^ )

• Debby in Belogorie. Russian Cup 2008, Belogorie vs Stinol

• Nice pictures he! I saw them on the site of Belgorod.She's doing good in the team.

Yeah, I'm shocked with Belgorod's win over Uralochka. Haven't expected anything like that! :thumbsup: