Basketball - Euro 2009

• So, ECH Basketball 2009 starts today in Poland . Here is the official site of the tournament: http://www.eurobasket2009.org/en/default.asp

These are the pools:

A

Croatia

F.Y.R. of Macedonia

Greece

Israel

B

France

Germany

Latvia

Russia

C

Great Britain

Serbia

Slovenia

Spain

D

Bulgaria

Lithuania

Poland

Turkey

All basketfans can comment here the matches or whatever they like about the tournament ;)

Wild Wild West!

..............................................................................................

" There is nothing better than this"

..............................................................................................

• And Poland beat Bulgaria in the first match :D We are plaing Lithuania today. It will be more difficult game: 1) Lithuania is better than Bulgaria and 2) they lost their first match to Turkey.

The most important 3:
    POLAND-SZCZECIN-VOLLEYBALL

5th place - Prediction Game - World League 2011 :D

• Famous Fans
    Plamen Konstantinov-Bulgaria

Bulgarian volleyball legend Plamen Konstantinov came to basketball relatively late in life.

The 2.02m outside hitter grew up in a volleyball family, but once he started playing the sport professionally he found himself more and more attracted to the orange ball.

"In all the Greek clubs where I have played, basketball is very important and that's how I became a fan," says the Sofia native.

"It's interesting that so many of the Greek volleyball players are excellent basketball players as well. In fact sometimes they are better basketball players, even though they play volleyball professionally."

His volleyball career has taken him to some legendary clubs, and in close proximity to legendary players.

"I was very impressed when Dominique Wilkins came to play for Panathinaikos," says Konstantinov.

"I also like Dimitris Diamantidis, he plays with heart and he is not only connected with the club on a professional level, but on a personal one."

Konstantinov has also become a big fan of his countries national team, and has followed their every move on the way to Poland.

"Some people think the two sports have to be rivals, but I don't think so. Every sport can be the face of the nation. If Bulgaria have good basketball, it's great, if we have both good basketball and volleyball, it's even better."

For now the Bulgarian national basketball team can only dream of a place on the podium, where their volleyball playing countrymen have been on more than one occasion.

Bulgaria has won countless medals at the international level in volleyball, and Konstantinov himself has twice found himself atop the podium, including a bronze medal at the 2006 World Championships in Japan.

He knows that the same level of success is a long shot for Bulgaria in Poland, but he doesn't count them out.

"It is said that the Bulgarians are outsiders or underdogs, but that could be an advantage," he says.

"They won't have the pressure to win at any cost."

When asked what he thinks the key factor is in their success he points not to the court but to the bench.

"I think Pini Gershon is the key factor."

"My wish is that they can win at least one game, and advance to the second phase. That would be a real success."

source: eurobasket2009.org

You can read also:
    Ivano Balic-Croatia
    Zoran Predin-Slovenia
    Ana Ivanovic-Serbia

• Poland beat Lithuania :woohoo: :super: :win: Have we ever beat them in basketball? I can't remember :lol:

The most important 3:

• Turkey rocks!!!

I am really amazed with our teams perform!! If u all keep playing like this, I am sure we`ll turn home with a medal. And why not a gold?? Go boys!!

• Turkey rocks!!!

I am really amazed with our teams perform!! If u all keep playing like this, I am sure we`ll turn home with a medal. And why not a gold?? Go boys!!

Turkey was great today, they won Spain! Cong! Go Turkey for gold, really why not? ! :cup:

• Gold for Poland in Turkey and gold for Turkey in Poland... WHY NOT? 8)

I still remeber the previous volley ECH in Russia when in the last match Spain won against Russia and in Spain on Eurobasket just a few days later Russia beat Spain on the final. So that would be something similar :D

Wild Wild West!

" There is nothing better than this"

i hope so and we hope to take two golds in Poland :thumbup: other s with Women's European Championships.

• I still remeber the previous volley ECH in Russia when in the last match Spain won against Russia and in Spain on Eurobasket just a few days later Russia beat Spain on the final. So that would be something similar :D

So, we should have Poland-France final also in Eurobasket. But it is rather impossible ;)

The most important 3:

• Spain in semifinals :woohoo:

An amazing performance by Spain, just like their previous game. In defense, attack and attitude they showed the level we had been waiting for although the big difference in the final score was unexpected.

• :rolll: :rolll: :rolll: :rolll: Greece tomorrow against Spain.Angelo get ready :box: :box: :box:

• We have been having very high level of competition since quarterfinals. Good basketball show in Poland (although basketball is still team sport no.4 for me, after football, volleyball and handball :P ).
    Funny thing: in volleyball championships we had one of the first games Poland-France and the same at the end. And now, in Eurobasket: it began with Spain-Serbia and will finish with Spain-Serbia :) I hope Spain win tonight. We won our first European title in volleyball and now I wish first European gold for Spain. Good luck.

The most important 3:

• Hellas won the bronze medal :thumbsup: