What are the most popular meals/dishes/food in your country?

• The first thing to say about food in London is that if it exists, you can find it here somewhere! Obviously pizza/Chinese is a lot easier to find than Bulgarian, but our selection is very diverse! Indian food is very very popular and with good reason, although nowadays much of it is really Bangladeshi masquerading as Indian.

Traditional English food… Cooked breakbast (bacon, egg, beans, sausage)

Roast beef & Yorkshire Pudding

Fish and chips

Crumpet!

And of course English Tea. Always with Milk :P

Looking forward to hearing about Dutch food ;)

• Well, one of my favourite meals is 'картофени кюфтета (kartofeni kyufteta)' - it is something with potatoes and my mother makes them perfect :D Usually kyufteta are with meat, but these one are not :P :

And something very popular in Bulgaria is also "домашна бисквитена торта (domashna biskvitena torta)" - homemade biscuit cake. It is very simple and easy dessert to make, main products are biscuits and cream, but if you want, you can put other things, too. Usually as a cover over the cream we put sugar or chocolate sticks. The cream for this cake could be in different colours. It's nothing so special but as I said it is quite common here and I like it very much :P

And the last thing which you see was mentioned a lot of times in some other topics so I feel some kinda 'obliged' to finish my post with it :lol: .
    Cheers! :drink:

Wild Wild West!

..............................................................................................

" There is nothing better than this"

..............................................................................................

• The most popular food and drinks in Poland are:
    Vodka:

Pickled cucumber:

Herring with onions, sour cream or vinegar :

EAT ALL TOGETHER. ENJOY! :drink: :lol:

• The most popular food and drinks in Poland are:
    Pickled cucumber:

Pickled cucucmbers are a 'must' in Bulgaria, too :D
    That reminds me of:
    'Цветна туршия' (Tsvetna turshiya)

'Руска салата' (Russian salad) - Personally I don't like it, but most people do

'Снежанка (Млечна салата)' - Snezhanka or also Mlechna salata - it is made of strained Bulgarian yoghurt, cucumber, garlic, salt, usually cooking oil, dill, walnuts and parsley. I just love it, it is one of my favourite :thumbsup:

Ola, you already said you love tomatoes, now we see you love vodka, so... :D :

Наздраве (Nazdrawe) :drink:

Wild Wild West!

• Ola, you already said you love tomatoes, now we see you love vodka, so... :D :

Наздраве (Nazdrawe) :drink:

Ahahahah :lol: Come on, I'm a Slavic soul after all :D Cheers! Na zdrowie! :drink:

Hey, don't we have more alcohols than national dishes? Or I just don't know many Polish dishes :rolll:

• I really don't like fishes in general...but there is one exception, ryba po grecku, which means something like 'Greek fish'. It's just delicious.

And uszka! Who loves uszka, Poles? :D

We eat it usually on Christmas.

I also really love this sallad with napa cabbage? (I really didn't know how to say pekińska, wikipedia helped me :D )
    Sałatka z kapusty pekińskiej :D

Yuuuummyyy!

• Ahahahah :lol: Come on, I'm a Slavic soul after all :D Cheers! Na zdrowie! :drink:

Hey, don't we have more alcohols than national dishes? Or I just don't know many Polish dishes :rolll:

hahha, I have no idea... :lol: maybe as a girl, you just want to be fit and that is why you don't pay so much attention to meals, but bet on drinks - that's a good tactics :thumbsup: Relation 'Slavs -alcohol' is a very interesting phenomenon, at least some scientists say so :teach: :rolll:

Bulgarians consume a lot of types of alcohol, but as I we already know rakiya has its special place in our culture. If we exclude for a moment the homemade rakiya :roll: , here are one of the most popular brands, if I have missed something important I beg guys to add it:

Peshterska

Karnobatska

Kaylashka

Yambolska

Pomoriyska

Wild Wild West!

• I've come across an article from an American girl who describes some Bulgarian food. Since I don't want to repeat myself with some dishes I've already describe, I'll post about the others not mentioned(the following are not my words!):

SIRENE or CERENE (Bulgarian: сирене) is a type of white brine cheese made in Bulgaria, similar to feta cheese. This is a very popular Bulgarian cheese, usually made with a combination of sheep and cow milk. It is very soft, with a fat content of 40-45%. It is commonly produced in blocks, and has a slightly grainy texture. Sirene has a fresh lemony taste. It is used as a table cheese, as well as in salads and in baking.

KASHKAVAL (кашкавал) this word in Bulgaria is generally used refer to all cheeses except Sirene. In English-language menus, it is normally translated as “yellow cheese”. So basically every cheese is labeled Kashkaval, but they all taste slightly different than each other – so you never really know what you are gonna get. As I learned from my Italian friends here in Sofia its basically a rip off of the name of an Italian Cheese “Kashkavale.”

LUTENITSA (lutenitsa or lutenitza, Bulgarian: лютеница) – I almost made the mistake of buying this instead of tomato sauce at the grocery store when I first arrived, since the packaging is very similar. Lutenitsa is a spread made from tomatoes, peppers, onions, garlic, black pepper, vegetable oil, sugar and salt. Some types have a pleasant chilli taste. It may contain eggplant puree as well. It is mainly used as a spread on bread, sometimes sprinkled with grated white Feta cheese and its delicious with Eggplant and potatoes.

MAVRUD – is unique red wine common only for the region of Thrace in Bulgaria. It is the only red wine I have ever truly enjoyed. In the States red wine typically gives me headaches, but here in Bulgaria!

TRAMINER – is a white wine unique to the Black Sea region of Bulgaria where 30% of all vines are located. It is a sweet white (which you all know I love ;p), similar in taste to a muscat but dryer. The traminer grape is similar to a Sauvignon blanc grape.

BULGARIAN YOGURT – In Bulgaria yogurt is called “кисело мляко” (kiselo mlyako), which means “sour milk”; in Serbia, yogurt is also called “кисело млеко” (kiselo mleko), while Serbian yogurt is a thick, milky liquid produced by fermentation of milk. Bulgaria is very proud of their special Bulgarian bacteria used to produce the country’s yogurt. It tastes the best with homemade jams which you can buy right off the street from a grandmother or produce stand for 2-4 BGN. I just bought a homemade fig jam in Melnik and it tastes amazing.

GUVECHE - A traditional Bulgarian dish prepared in a clay dish of a similar name. Typically made with sausage, various vegetables of your choice, mixed with cerene “white cheese” and an egg cracked and on kashkaval “yellow cheese” on top. Its then place in the oven to bake. I usually make it just with broccoli, onions, peppers, potatoes, and sometimes chicken. Its so easy and the smaller clay dishes are perfect when you just want to cook dinner for yourself.

• Kopytka all tha way(it's like dumplings made of mashed potato-delicious)
    also placki ziemniaczane(potato pancakes) with gravy mmm feeling hungry now :D

Anyone can support a team that is winning - it takes no courage. But to
    stand behind a team to defend a team when it is down and really needs
    you, that takes a lot of courage.

• Menemen

Menemen is a Turkish dish which includes egg, onion, tomato and green paprikas and spices such as ground black pepper, ground red pepper, salt, oregano, and mint. Black or green olives can be included as ingredients. Turkish meat products such as a sausage can be added, although this strays from the traditional recipe. The eggs are scrambled. It is cooked with butter, although olive oil may also be used. The dish is similar to shakshouka, but the eggs are always scrambled. Menemen is commonly eaten for breakfast and served with bread

"Lo sbaglio più grande e quello di credere di aver vinto prima ancora di giocare la partita"

• According to a recent study the 3 favorites meal in France are:

1. "magret de canard" (duck breast). A very tasty meat (though quite expensive) often served roast with sauce. Duck breast is a very popular dish in restaurant because it can be served with very different sauces and vegetables. Dry magret is also very tasty.

2. "moules frites" (mussels with french fries). The favorite dish in the north of France and Belgium. Every year in Lille there is a rummage sale during first week-end of september. Mussels with fries is the traditionnal meal and about 500 tons of mussels are eaten on this occasion and restaurants make a pile of mussels shell to show how many mussels have been eaten!

3. Couscous. Though it is a Berber dish, the semolina served with a meat and vegetable stew is one of the favorite dish in France for many years, and is enjoyed all over the country.

Besides the study shows differences between regions.

In Britanny the most well known dish is "crêpes" and "galettes de sarrasin" (buckwheat pancakes). Both are fine pancakes, that you can stuff with whatever you want. you eat the "galettes" with salt food (most common being eggs, Ham and cheese, but you can try almost everything you want as long) and crêpes are eaten for dessert with sugared food. Commonly jam, chocolate sauce, but also fruits, ice cream. Most simply you can just go with some sugar and a bit of butter.
    My favorite fillings ?
    - apples cooked with salted butter + sausage for galette
    - pear + salted butter caramel for crêpes.

Crêpes and galettes are served with cider (fermented beverage made of apple juice) rather than with wine.

Besides the many different dishes in France you can point out 2 things:

- Cheese. It is said that there are as many different kind of cheese in France as there are days in a year. Cheese is always part of a traditional french meal before dessert.

Wine: Like dishes, wines are related to regions. Therefore you most often match a regional dish with a corresponding regional wine. Of course, most red wine are fine with most cheese, or most dry white wine will be great with fishes. But there are enough differences between the many sort of wines to have you wonder about what kind of wine you are going to serve with a given dish ! Though wine is still seen as a component of a traditional french meal, many french don't drink wine at every meal nowadays. Personally I only drink wine when I'm eating with friends, or at the restaurant. Since wine has because some kind of a "special occasion" drink, people can afford higher prices and therefore higher quality. Yet quality is not always related to price and you can find interesting wines for 3€ per bottle.

• hahha, I have no idea... :lol: maybe as a girl, you just want to be fit and that is why you don't pay so much attention to meals, but bet on drinks - that's a good tactics :thumbsup: Relation 'Slavs -alcohol' is a very interesting phenomenon, at least some scientists say so :teach: :rolll:

Bulgarians consume a lot of types of alcohol, but as I we already know rakiya has its special place in our culture. If we exclude for a moment the homemade rakiya :roll: , here are one of the most popular brands, if I have missed something important I beg guys to add it:

Is relation 'Slavs-alcohol' really scientifically proven? 8o Really interesting :lol:

• Agaa! Cheers, girl!

:D

Zagorka and Sobieski Mandarin rock my heart :thumbsup:

Vine and pancakes are like the best dream for me. I can't say I'm addicted to vine :P but it's my favourite alco. But I'm totally adicted to pancakes :roll: It's the only thing I can cook with myself on the master level.

• In Bulgaria tradition is wine, not rakiya ;)

Gumza is traditional Bulgarian wine from North Bulgaria. It has relatives in Hungary and Romania. Suhindol is the heaven of Gumza :love:

Mavrud is probably the best wine we make, from Southern Bulgaria. It has quality to age properly

Melnishka loza is competitor for Mavrud in matters of aging and taste for best Bulgarian wine. It is proudced in south-western Bulgaria

Cheers for the wine drinkers here ^^

• Yeah, I love Bulgarian vine :thumbsup: I had this pleasure to taste it but I don't remember how it called. But for sure it was Bulgarian.

• Being abroad, one thing I always missed, was good german bread. The germans really love their bread and the bakeries offer a huge variety, such as

whole-grain bread

Black-bread, very popular in northern germany:

For breakfast people love their "Brötchen"
    You can find them in all possible variations.