Fernanda Venturini will be Murcia's setter

• That's what everyone is saying here in Brasil...
    Fernada said she would stop, but Grupo Murcia 2002 from spain offer her a lots of money for her play there this end of season, and she say yes!!

Now I think it would be difficult for Tenerife wins....because Sokolova+Venturini.....no way....

That's make me sad...because I like Logan so I was supporting Tenerife....but as a Brasilian I wish the best for Fernanda!!!!

• hmm i dont know if Venturinis coming will make murcia better,
    Sure, she is a great setter, but she needs to fit in the team...
    Before the season i thought that Murcia will be unbeatable with sokolova, glinka etc, but they dont work well together in the team, as Lalaa said in another topic, its like Real Madrid of Volleyball. And now that Venturini is coming, doesnt change so much.....

• I think it'll change!!!!
    I good setter can make all the diference....it's like Zé Roberto(brasilian coach) say...."a bad setter can cause trouble to a good team....and a good setter can make a not so good team goes well!"

I think it'll be better because she uses a lot of fast balls...so she'll make the life of good spikers as Sokolova, Glinka and Metcalf a lot easier!

thats my oppinion! :wink2:

• First of all, I'm very suprised with this news.

Since the early 90's, Fernanda Venturini has always suprised me how well she can show her versatility, preciseness and consistency of her sets. With the help of her husband Rezende, she was able to bring men's volleyball into the women's court. She can simply run sets that only a few can do in Women's teams nowadays.

She is still exceptional until now, with Yang Xi Lan, Feng Kun, Kirillova (Karpol thinks she's one of the best players that has ever been) and Karine Salinas from France (Lang Ping thinks she's one of the best setters that has ever been) in her caliber. She was actually the one who brought Brazil to the ranks of the powerful Cubans so that each player in her team can fight tooth and nail with each strong Cuban player in the 90's.

Whoever said that Fernanda wouldn't be a key to Murcia... I could say right now, that statement is very wrong and an insult to the fantastic Fernanda. I always dreamed of having Fernanda and Liouba Sokolova Kilic in the same team. She can make every player move to their best of their abilities to hit her fast, perfect placed balls.

• Well, a good coach and a good setter can change the way a team play, that's for sure.

I believe Paulo Cocco is a very good coach, he was ahead of Finasa last season and he cause a lot of trouble to Rexona, even with Bernardo Rezende and Fernanda Venturini, the title was only decided in the 5th match of the playoffs.

I really believe that Paulo Cocco's coming is as important as Fernanda's. Anyway, we have to bear in mind that Fernanda is already 36 years old and she hasn't played since the end of the 2005/2006 season of the Brazilian Superliga. Although her physicall form is good, I don't know how well her technical form is right now.

Anyway, there's no comparison between Sara Perez and Fernanda Venturini, and as the brain of a volleyball team, having such a gifted setter will definitely enhance Murcia's Team performance.

• I agree with Celso that Cocco is at least as important as Fernanda joining Murcia.

Clearly at her best Fernanda is superior to Perez. I tend to agree with Nastja that Fernanda by herself may not make as much of a difference as other people on this board seem to think. In the games I've seen, Perez has not been the problem. Rodriguez and Kilic would be great if they only had to receive 1/3 of the court each. With Glinka being such a liability in reception and Metcalf not being able to help, Rodriguez and Kilic have to cover too much court and their passing was not as accurate as it could be. Perez, smaller and quicker than Fernanda, may actually be better at correcting 2pt receptions.

This is going to sound bad to some here, it's nothing personal though: I think replacing either Glinka or Metcalf with a primary passer would make a much bigger difference than replacing Perez. Maybe Sassa' for example? Glinka's back problems are just to limiting in reception. She needs to be an opposite at this point in her career.

Hopefully the new coach will find a new solution to the problem. I'd like to see Murcia and Tenerife in the IECL next year!

• Hi !! I have read all the topic, and I think that the setter wasn't the problem of the team, as I said in other topic, I saw the match between Murcia and Tenerife and the real problem is the comunication between players, I saw a match where two (sometimes three) players went to a free ball !!! That in a top-class team can't happen.

Maybe the next match between Murcia and Tenerife is in Copa de la Reina that is hold in Madrid from 22-25 February, I will be there and I'm waiting to see the match !!! What we don't know if that Fernanda will be the inicial setter, because she arrived a few days ago.......