Mari Steinbrecher gives an interview to a Brazilian journal

• The original one (in Portuguese):http://jbonline.terra.com.br/e…/Esportes20080316016.html

I'll try to translate... ^^

Do you consider the idea of coming back playing in Brasil?

I think the only team able to get close in finacial terms is Osasco. By the way, I think they have the condition even to iqual with what I win here in Italy. The difference is that Euro cost more than Real and you have to remember that. I could come back, but I'll only think about that in may, when my contract ends.

Everyone says wonderful things about this Italian National team. Living close to them now, is really all that?

Look, Aguero don't win the games alone. Indeed Italy grown a lot since she came in, but she needs someone to recieve and set the ball with quality too. Italy National team is really strong, but I don't think they are unbeatten.

What we are going to find in Beijing?

It is going to be very iqual. Beside Italy, China and Russia will also get there really strong. The USA team learned how to play against Brazil, and will be really hard to beat Cuba. We have potencial to a medal, like all the NT that I just told about, but is like Zé Roberto said, I don't it think it would be any absurd and surprise if we stay out of the semifinals. The thing is really hard.

Why Brazil, that got there like one of the favorites, ended the 2004 Olympic games in a disapoiting 4th place?

Look, usually you win an Olympic games for deserve and not cause you are the best. The fellings inside the group has to be good, united group, 100% focous. If it's not like that we won't get a medal.

What you actually wanted to mean with that?

In 2004, in Athens, I was really young and thought that everyone liked everyone. But actually was not real liking, there were some little problems behind the scene. We didn't win cause you shoulnd't have won. That's it.

Did you get hurt with the critical comments that you recieved after that matche against Russia?

I was upset, specially with the jokes in public places that came from people that don't understand anything of volleyball. For you to have an idea, I only came to watche the 5th set of that game like one month and a half ago. What happened just made me grow professionaly. I did my part and have my mind peaceful.

Did Zé Roberto change a lot with the players after Athens?

I think that Zé Roberto became harder after what he passed in 2004, but is normal. There were some atlets that used to have some preferences, some privilege, and this never works out. Ended like that. But he is right. Today, you really can't admit an atleth out of shape, that don't want to play in National team and that is fisicly bad.

And his declarations saying that he won't call the player with big buddy?

The term "big buddy" is a little havy (laughting). But we have to respect...

Mari, you were out of World Cup last year. Do you hope to come back to NT?

Of course yes. I'm at the starting six in Pesaro, playing as a OH, reciving, in shape fisicly and tecnicly well. Everything that Zé Roberto wishes for an atleth that wants to be in NT.

Will the fight be good?

Yeah, it will. Sassá has a good reception, Jaque a good defence, Nathalia was at World Cup and I grown in all this her in Italy. But we can't forget that Valeskinha is making a good Italian League and Fofinha too. There are a lot of players with quality, and this is cool.

They say that you are to cold inside the court. What do you think about that?

People, this is my way. I have always been like this since I was 14, but I am much better now. Today, I'm a leader in Pesaro, I talk more and, if I have to complain with the referee, I do. Out of court I'm the same Mari as always, continium to be the most eletric girl of the group, that talk with everyone, funny. But a lot of people don't know about that.

How do you analise your personal and professional moment?

Understand how you want and wish. I am really happy, living a big moment in my career in Pesaro and really respect inside and outside the court, cause I did choose the team and right place for me to play. Here, indeed, is a real family and they don't let anything miss for us.

Do you feel fulfild?

With 24 years old, I think I was able to conquer a lot of things that others coulnd't. I won brasilian championships, played an Olympic game, won a medal in an World Championship, and I play in the best league in the world. But I want more. Of course I dream with a gold medal in Beijing, but nay Olympic medal will be very welcoming.

• Well, I got a bit annoyed when she says that "i'd play in Osasco because it's the only team that could pay me just as well as the teams in Italy". It sounded like she only is interested in the money she can earn, not to play volleyball or come back to her country.
    Anyway, but at least she was honest...

• well, lothie, you cant blame her for that, after all, players have to make a living, dont they? ^^
    plus they get injuries easily
    im quite interested if she will ever play for brazil, cos she said she feels peaceful now --

• well, lothie, you cant blame her for that, after all, players have to make a living, dont they? ^^
    plus they get injuries easily
    im quite interested if she will ever play for brazil, cos she said she feels peaceful now --

After that interview, I wouldn't be surprised if she changed nationality only to earn more.
    But in general, I think she's ready to play again for BR NT, but it depends more on the coach than her...

Colossus, I agree that everyone must make a living... But basically to Mari what matters is the money she makes... it's honest, but still annoys me, maybe because I can't put money before a lot of other things.
    I'm not kinda blaming her, because who am I to do that... but I can't just like what she said.

• and ı couldn't quite understand what she meant by that:

But actually was not real liking, there were some little problems behind the scene. We didn't win cause you shoulnd't have won.

are there some external factors in volleyball which can affect a team's succes negatively?did she mean that by''you shouldn't have won''? :?: :?:

• and ı couldn't quite understand what she meant by that:

are there some external factors in volleyball which can affect a team's succes negatively?did she mean that by''you shouldn't have won''? :?: :?:

Well, the "shouldn't have won" has the destiny meaning: if they were defeated it was because they shouldn't have won. That's how I interpreted her phrase (in portuguese it's clearer :) ) but she also said that there were a lot of things on backstage that affected negatively the team.

• she said that openly maybe because there is not much chance to be in the team any longer

remember what ze roberto said if she wants to return to the team, she has to understand how important team discipline is

if undertsood this way, Mari could say this without fear though, just lets see if brazil will have her back in the GP 00