Russia National Team for Olympics

• Caprara has just announced the 21 players who will be preparing for the Beijing Olympics. I am just curious when I saw Anna Philippova on the list. Who is she? Does anyone know? I tried to look for her name in the list of club players but I was unable to see her name. Maybe someone can enlighten me?

There are really no surprises as to the list. Everyone is somehow expected, except Philippova. She is the only one who is new to the list. :wavy:

And who do you think will compose the 12-member team based from the 21-member list?

• I suppose Philippova = Anna Gansonre from Spartak Omsk.

My choice would be: Akulova, Sheshenina, Kabeshova, Merkulova, Alimova, Borisenko (actually I would prefer Pronicheva but she's not there...), Gamova, Godina, Sokolova, Artamonova, Safronova and Kosheleva/Fateeva.

• Anna Matienko, who replaced injured Irina Zhukova, has made an excellent impression during the final serie against Dinamo. She played so calm and precisely, like if she wasn't a player from the bench at all. Zarechie hasn't lost anything without Zhukova. Caprara says, that Olympic doors are opened for Matienko, but only if main setters won't satisfy him or get an injure, because he want to have only proved players in the team in such a decisive moment.
    I saw her playing in finals and I think, she must be on OG, because she seems not to be affected with these "moments of weakness", like other players do. I suppose, she can be the last part of mosaic our team needs to become the strongest in the world 8o :box:

• (actually I would prefer Pronicheva but she's not there...)

She cannot play for Russia, because she has already switched to Greek NT.

• She cannot play for Russia, because she has already switched to Greek NT.

Not exactly like that. Pronicheva can't play for Russia, because she has to wait some time after switching from Greek NT. She will be involved in NT as soon as possible.

• As far as I know, once you've switched nationality, you cannot return to your previous one. That's why Kirillova cannot play for Russia, because she switched to Croatian NT from Russian NT.

If Pronicheva never played for Russian NT (senior, junior or youth) then this is another story. She may play for Russian NT, if two years have passed from her last appearance in Greek NT.

• the most fiercesome russia has formed, the arounded artamonova is back in the team and she could help reception and defense, the 06 champion is gonna be great

currently, russia is the only team that could rival italy

• Caprara is not sending his 9 main players to Abu Dabi Tournament as they will be having training in Croatia. Gamova, Godina, Artamonova, Sokolova, Alimova, Borisienko, Merkulova, Kabeshova and Sheshenina. The other members will be playing. I think Caprara will use the tournament also to determine who will fill in the last remaining 3 spots for the Olympic Team. My take on the remaining three spots:

1. Andrushko - She will be a substitute for Gamova. Though i think that if the three main hitters of Russia will be Gamova, Sokolova and Arta, the best substitute to replace any of three players will be Godina.

2. Kulikova - I think that between Safronova and Kulikova, Kulikova has a greater chance. Caprara has confidence on her. In 2006, she was used more often than Safronova. In the Halle qualification, she was used to play for the position of Godina.

3. Akulova - There is no other option. Caprara likes her and let us just hope that she plays the way she played during the WCH06.

Just my thoughts: I think that if Russia wants to win the Olympics, they have to improve on two important things, reception and service. With the return of Arta, reception will be fixed. As to the service, they need to bring back and improve the powerful and strong services of Arta, Gamova, Godina, Sokolova and even the service of Sheshenina. Merkulova, Alimova and Borsienko can do the strategic floating serves. For me the main reason for the dismal result in the 2007 season was the poor service of the team, allowing Italy and China to execute their fast, quick and unpredictable plays.

Improve the team's reception! Destroy other team's reception! This is what they did in 2006 - destroyed the reception of Brazil (causing Fofao to give high balls to outside hitters and underutilizing Fabiana and Waleska), Italy (similar to semi-finals of WCH2006 where Riniere and Piccini were blocked several times and their middles were not functioning well. the middles must be stopped especially Gioli whom i hate very much because she causes much trouble to Russia. they only have to worry about Aguero and i do not have any idea how to destroy her attacks) and even that of China (destroy their fast and combination plays).

I know this Olympics will be the hardest and most unpredictable. But with the team's will and motivation and perhaps luck, I hope they will make it.

• I agree with your choice of Kulikova. I am not sure about Andrushko. I have not seen her play.

Does anyone know of nelia ashileva? She is playing for dinamo yantar and from the profile is as tall or taller than gamova or merkulova. Why is she not called by Caprara to the national team? She seems to be performing well in the league based from the statistics. Maybe she can be a potent force of the Russian team in the future and so she must be given now all the opportunities to be trained well by experts and compete in the international competitions.

• Artamonova Engenia
    Gamova Ekaterina
    Shashkova Lioubov
    Godina Elena
    Merkulova Yulia

Alimova Natalia
    Fateeva Olga
    Safronova Natalia
    Kosheleva Tatiana
    Sedova Yulia
    Kryuchkova Svetlana
    Akulova Svetlana
    Akulova Marina

• This Russian squad is very powerful and must be respected.

I don't think the Russia's team problem is service and reception. All teams must work on these fundamentals, of course. For me, though, what may help the Russian team a lot is playing with more combinations and fastly. If Sheshenina could improve as a setter, it will be almost impossible to beat the Russian Team., even if the Russian team service and reception doesn't improve.

• Yes I totally agree with you Celso. They have to work on that really hard. If they can't do combinations, at the very least, I hope they will develop their middle attackers with their quick plays and also with Sokolova. I am kinda worried about the middle players. Borodakova may be good in block but she is poor in attacks. I hope she can be like Titschenko or Tebenikhina who have perfected the slide attacks. Merkulova is very raw in blocking. Alimova has her own style; it will just be a matter of consistency and improving it.

If Russia will have good middle players to do the quick attacks and possible combinations with Sokolova, I think they will have greater chances.

• I just hope the Russian team have mercy on my Brazil's team. I always get sad after seeing the Russian team kicking Brazil's ass!

• Oh no Celso. On the contrary, I want my favorite team to kick the other team's asses. :lol: Your team is composed of young players. They still have the 2012 Olympics. Give this Olympics to Russian team. Please. This is their only chance. I will cry a bucket of tears if Artamonova, Sokolova, Godina and Gamova will retire without a gold in the Olympics. :win: Chinas does not need this Olympics. They won the previous one already. Cuba has won enough gold.

This is a call to the other teams. I am begging you. Please let Russia win. :love:

• As regards Brazil's team... even without letting Russia win, Russia beats us. That's why I beg for mercy!

• Even if I have long been a fan of the Chinese team, I hope that the Russians will win this OG. Of all the teams, they are the ones who really deserve to win the gold. I am confident enough that they will be able to beat Brazil, Cuba and Italy which are the major threats, but they will first have to work on their tactics to beat the unpredictable Chinese players.

With Russia going against China in this year's OG, it might be a replay of the Grand Prix 1993 which China won. But then again this could be anybody's game. After all, Russia has already defeated China in the WCH2006.

I think the better player to sub Gamova in case that she is having a bad play would definitely be Safronova. She has superb attacks and great placement.

Let's all cross fingers and hope Russia will win this OG. I want to see Gamova's tears but her smiles instead. I dont wanna see the Russian team reaching the finals only to lose it.

Good luck to the Russian team. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• I really don't think that Safronova is a good substitute. If you have watched the Russia League, i am sure that Safronova will not be your choice. Her strongest aspect is reception but not attack. Her reception is good so Caprara always substitute Safronova with Godina in WCH2006. But if she substitute Gamova, that will be a problem because Safronova 's attack is very bad, her spikes always get blocked. I think Fateeva or Andrushko wil be a better choice.

• I agree with Safronova not being a good substitute. My choice for a substitute would be Andrushko, Kulikova or Kosheleva. Fateeva plays like Safronova. It is like Fateeva is the new Safronova of the future generation. She gets blocked always. I remember their game with Italy in the EC07. She was blocked several times and even consecutively just like Safronova. She has limited tactics. She always hits against the blockers' hands.

Kulikova may be smaller but she is smart player and has good strategies. I think Caprara knows about this so Kulikova was chosen as the replacement of Godina in the Halle qualification rather than Fateeva or Safronova.

• It seems that Russia is gonna be a shorter team in the future (Kulikova, Fateeva, etc.). Where are the younger and taller players of Russia?

• I agree with Safronova not being a good substitute. My choice for a substitute would be Andrushko, Kulikova or Kosheleva. Fateeva plays like Safronova. It is like Fateeva is the new Safronova of the future generation. She gets blocked always. I remember their game with Italy in the EC07. She was blocked several times and even consecutively just like Safronova. She has limited tactics. She always hits against the blockers' hands.

Kulikova may be smaller but she is smart player and has good strategies. I think Caprara knows about this so Kulikova was chosen as the replacement of Godina in the Halle qualification rather than Fateeva or Safronova.

Kullikova will be someone like Safronova in the WCH 2006. she will substitute Sokolova, Gadina(artamonova) but not Gamova, and Fateeva or Andrushko will substitute Gamova, because both of them are uncapable to make good reception. Btw, Fateeva performed really good in teh Russia League, she gets even more points and similar attack % with Sokoolova..