Russia National Team for Olympics

• Yulia Andrushko is injured - ankle injury and has to be operated. This is so unfortunate for the team because she is a possible contender for the two remaining attacker slots to the Olympics. I hope this is the only injury that will be faced by the team.

• Yulia Andrushko is injured - ankle injury and has to be operated. This is so unfortunate for the team because she is a possible contender for the two remaining attacker slots to the Olympics. I hope this is the only injury that will be faced by the team.

It gives a warning to players to take care of their bodies...Getting hurt will bring serious consequences..I hope that this will be the only injury for Russian players, especially the start six of RUssia team....

• Oh no Celso. On the contrary, I want my favorite team to kick the other team's asses. :lol: Your team is composed of young players. They still have the 2012 Olympics. Give this Olympics to Russian team. Please. This is their only chance. I will cry a bucket of tears if Artamonova, Sokolova, Godina and Gamova will retire without a gold in the Olympics. :win: Chinas does not need this Olympics. They won the previous one already. Cuba has won enough gold.

This is a call to the other teams. I am begging you. Please let Russia win. :love:

That's also what I'm considering...I support your idea!! :lol:

• I want to second that Caprara should leave our command. WTF is he talking about?! "Russians don't know what hard work is". What a tool. Russians are very hard working people. Must be because we are so lazy that we are such a sport powerhouse, and Italy is not. :roll:

Good riddance Caprara!

• I want to second that Caprara should leave our command. WTF is he talking about?! "Russians don't know what hard work is". What a tool. Russians are very hard working people. Must be because we are so lazy that we are such a sport powerhouse, and Italy is not. :roll:

Good riddance Caprara!

The girls just need a strong/strict coach. Caprara is great but not suitable for Russians.
    Russians improve best if they have an "asshole" as a coach. Karpol was great :D

And if i look at other sports, (russian) athletes with very strict coaches, are the best....
    You have to cry to improve! Anger helps a lot.

If you push the right buttons you can get out a lot of the players.
    Its just a proof that Caprara didnt find thouse buttons, if he says such stupid things...

• Haha, even I got angry at Karpol sometimes, and I am a harsh person. :lol:

By the way, are you talking about our girls only, our Russians in general? Alekno is pretty cool and calm. Evgeny Trefilov - women handball - is Karpol style. :D Alexander Kleymenov - women water polo - is from Karpol's school too. Igor Grudin - women basketball - is not too calm either...

Russians don't respect rulers/leaders that don't show might and strenght, so I think you have a point. But at the moment, I wonder how a Russian coach would improve and modernize our volleyball... Unlike our male generation, we don't have new talents to substitute the ones retiring, and I see a dark future ahead of us.

• Caprara - Kirillova is a great coaching duo. You cannot deny this.

And remember if Karpol was still there, you won't have in team Sokolova and Godina. So, no 06WCH title. :roll:

• Caprara - Kirillova is a great coaching duo. You cannot deny this.

And remember if Karpol was still there, you won't have in team Sokolova and Godina. So, no 06WCH title. :roll:

I don't want Karpol back. I just want Caprara out. He did a good job in the WCH 06, but he has been really confused lately, and it's time for him to take his bid.

• About Caprara, I really think he talks nonsense. He said he wanted to change Russian mentality, but what is the need for it when they were a world class team for the last 40 years with their "wrong mentality"? It does not work!!! It is just the same as trying to make Gamova hit faster balls. Why??? Her high balls have always been very successful, so why change rhythm?

• I hate Caprara. The team lost and for him to blame the lack of work and mentality of the star players is just stupid. He kept on blaming the team for not being able to participate in the WGP08 so they were not able to compete in the high level. But same thing happened in 2004 and the team won the silver. The problem is that he did not maximize and improve the players. He could have surprise everyone like what Karpol did in 2004.

What did Caprara do for the past months to improve the settings of Akulova and Sheshenina? None.
    What has he done to improve the middle players with their attacks and with their connections with the setter? None.
    Where are the combination plays? None.
    Where are the strong and powerful services that made the team win in 2006? None.

I only thing I saw this Olympics is the low-middle sets of the setter to the hitters Sokolova, Estes and Gamova. Well, middle sets for Sokolova and Estes may work sometimes but my golly, low sets for Gamova? Why? She does not need those low sets? She attacks best with high sets. Why change something when she is already good at that.

Besides, the idea of fast and low-middle sets to attackers is only good if you have the most stable setters in the world. But Russia has no stable setters. The strategy of Caprara just made the attackers less efficient and more prone to drop balls and mistakes.

Oh well, I just have to move on after this nightmare ....

• I think Caprara must not leave,players must leave.They played so willingless.I think someone make them to play.

For me, Caprara should leave. His style is not fit for the Russian team. He's focusing too much on things that Russia is not good at (like fast plays, shorter players, middle plays, low balls). Russia needs a coach who understands well the strengths and weaknesses of the Russian team. Karpol did a great job in managing the team because he knew that the team's advantages against other teams are the players' height, power, service, and blocking ability. Since Caprara handled the team, no classic superstar was born. He invested too much time on players like Kulikova and Fateeva. He forced the team to set low balls and to execute fast plays which are out of Russia's capabilities. For me, the team needs to go back to its roots and find out what they can really do as a team given their natural playing characteristics. I believe that Volleyball, or any other sport for that matter, is a game of character. Do what you can do best and you will win.

• For me, Caprara should leave. His style is not fit for the Russian team. He's focusing too much on things that Russia is not good at (like fast plays, shorter players, middle plays, low balls). Russia needs a coach who understands well the strengths and weaknesses of the Russian team. Karpol did a great job in managing the team because he knew that the team's advantages against other teams are the players' height, power, service, and blocking ability. Since Caprara handled the team, no classic superstar was born. He invested too much time on players like Kulikova and Fateeva. He forced the team to set low balls and to execute fast plays which are out of Russia's capabilities. For me, the team needs to go back to its roots and find out what they can really do as a team given their natural playing characteristics. I believe that Volleyball, or any other sport for that matter, is a game of character. Do what you can do best and you will win.

I totally agree with you. He seems so lost and confused when he forces the "Italian" way of playing with the Russian team. Why put small players when there are taller ones? Why set low balls when players can attack better with high sets? What's wrong with high sets if that's how Russians can score and win tournaments? Instead of developing the skills of the team, Caprara forced new skills and then Russia just fell apart. Mistakes everywhere. Unstable attacks and settings. Argh!

Look at Cuba. It maintained its way of playing and instead of adapting other team's methods, it focuses on its own and voila, look at Cuba now.

• I think Caprara has a point but I acknowledge he should have expressed it with better words. He didn't mean Russian players are lazy, but he wanted the team to play the 2008 WGP and the players decided not to dedicate to win the matches of the Qualification Tournament - he said that in an interview. This is what he was referring to when he mentioned hard work. After winning the 2006 World Championship the Russian players thought they play better than they actually do and decided to choose which tournaments they would play. It seems they wanted to hide their game so well that even them couldn't find it at the OG.

Besides, the setter compromised the performance of the Russian attackers, especially against China. It seems Russia was concerned only with serve, attack and block and they completely neglected set, defense and reception. Debuting a 21-year-old libero in the OG was not intelligent either. Maybe overconfidence was the Russian problem.

Naturalizing a foreign setter might be Russia's way out to become a high-performance team again.

• To me, i think there is no need for Caprara to step down. What seems to be the problem is that no new spectacular players have been discovered. Gamova, Sokolova, Estes, Godina cant play forever. What is really important now is a long term goal. Russia, i bet, has thousands of potential athletes..All it has to do is to develop these players. True, champions arent made overnight, it always takes time and patience to build, say, an Ekaterina Gamova. Its not the end of an era, i bet its just one of those few humps they need to tackle....Russia is till Russia. Nothing more, nothing less.

Go Russia!

"[size=8]It's years and years of work and sacrifice and dedication. Along with a lot of these girls, we've sweat and we've bled and we've cried together in past Olympics. It just brought tears to my eyes, & I'm more than thrilled. This will be forever." -LOGAN MAILE LEI TOM (Silver Medallist - 2008 Beijing & 2012 London Olympic Games, 2011 World Cup runner up, 2003 & 2007 World Cup 3rd place, 2002 World Champs runner up, 4-time World GrandPrix Champs)

• I hate Caprara. The team lost and for him to blame the lack of work and mentality of the star players is just stupid. He kept on blaming the team for not being able to participate in the WGP08 so they were not able to compete in the high level. But same thing happened in 2004 and the team won the silver. The problem is that he did not maximize and improve the players. He could have surprise everyone like what Karpol did in 2004.

Russia was present at the 2004 WGP, so there is a huge difference!!

Which surprise are you talking about, if you want that Russia plays just high balls??? Non-sense! :roll:

• I totally agree with you. He seems so lost and confused when he forces the "Italian" way of playing with the Russian team. Why put small players when there are taller ones? Why set low balls when players can attack better with high sets? What's wrong with high sets if that's how Russians can score and win tournaments? Instead of developing the skills of the team, Caprara forced new skills and then Russia just fell apart. Mistakes everywhere. Unstable attacks and settings. Argh!

Small players??? Merkulova, Borodakova, Kosheleva, :lol: :lol: :lol:

Italian way of playing in Russian team? :lol: :lol:

• hmmmmm. i'm thinking if marco bonitta would make a good coach for russia. he's almost always angry like karpol...

i think caprara isn't to be blamed for the team's losses. the "high balls to the outside" will not continue to work in the next years because other teams have adjusted to this strategy. remember when japan and china dominated women's volleyball because of their quick sets? their quick sets were almost unstoppable. where's japan now? other teams have adapted to japan's playing style and japan on the other hand has failed to modify its game to suit today's standards, they have become stagnant. russians on the other hand will also be (or have been) stagnant because they do not find new tactics when the team has adjusted to theirs.

• I totally agree with you. He seems so lost and confused when he forces the "Italian" way of playing with the Russian team. Why put small players when there are taller ones? Why set low balls when players can attack better with high sets? What's wrong with high sets if that's how Russians can score and win tournaments? Instead of developing the skills of the team, Caprara forced new skills and then Russia just fell apart. Mistakes everywhere. Unstable attacks and settings. Argh!

Look at Cuba. It maintained its way of playing and instead of adapting other team's methods, it focuses on its own and voila, look at Cuba now.

I couldn't disagree more. After Perdomo's arrival, the Cuban team defense improved. Ruiz is attacking a faster ball and the teams is playing with some combinations. Reception, though, seems to be their weak point yet.