Speaking with...

• Speaking with "Jenny" Lang Ping
    In Beijing, expect the U.S. Olympic women's volleyball team to be followed by paparazzi, inundated with interview requests, and considered one of the hottest tickets of the Games. Yet the Chinese fans hounding it may know only one name on the roster: Lang Ping.

The current U.S. coach, "Jenny" Lang Ping is one of the most popular athletes in Chinese history. Known in her playing days as the "Iron Hammer," she led China to volleyball domination in the early 1980s, culminating with a gold medal at the 1984 Olympics. She turned to coaching and led China to a silver medal at the 1996 Games. Now, she leads the U.S. women's team as it attempts to win its first Olympic medal since 1992.

Before heading to her hometown of Beijing for China's first Olympics, where she'll be the only female volleyball coach at the Games, Lang spoke with NBCOlympics.com about where her U.S. team stands internationally, what she expects in China, and her memories from Los Angeles in 1984.

The U.S. won bronze at the 2007 World Cup, although Russia (reigning world champion) and China (defending Olympic champ) weren't there. Where do you think your team stands internationally?
    It's really hard to tell. It's not like I'm saying this politically because when you look at all those tournaments last year, no one team (could win) twice. This tournament it's Netherlands, next tournament it's China, next tournament it's Cuba, next tournament Brazil. So a lot of different teams couldn't win different tournaments. And because it's rally scoring, it's hard to say. Like you said, Russia and China were not there. But we have to be a good team, get together, do physical conditioning, and I think we're a pretty strong competitor too.

Have you worked with any of the coaches or players on China's team?
    I know them; I haven't worked with them for the last three years. I know very well their system because their head coach (Chen Zhonghe) was my assistant coach. So what they do, I know it; I just wish we could do it. Whatever they run, I know it exactly, but I can't stop it.

Have you thought much about what it's going to be like for you personally to coach at the Olympics in your homeland?
    Once I took over this job I thought about it. I think it's good or bad on different angles. I think it's good because sport is international. I've been playing and coaching China for many years. Now I'm doing it because first, I love volleyball. I like to coach the USA top team because they don't have professional teams here. But second, I can stay close to my daughter (Lydia); she lives in California. So basically I do it for myself, which the Chinese people understand. I still want to have a job and coach on a good level of volleyball. And also, I think the people are happy to see there's a Chinese coach coaching a great American team. They're happy, they're proud. But some people will say, 'You will beat China.' I think there's some people also upset too. I just hope they don't attack me. Just don't take this wrong; this is not political, this is sports.

Have you thought about the possibility of playing against China playing for the gold medal?
    Yeah, I don't take sides, I just be professional. I hope we have great performance and just win.

Would there be more pressure if you were to face China?
    No, no. I would love to go to the final. It doesn't matter if it's China or Russia or whoever. You have no choice. The only thing we need is to concentrate on our side to get our position.

Do you anticipate the Chinese teams having an advantage playing at home?
    You have to look at it two different ways. First, the whole country is supporting them. They gave them whatever they need. How many players you want? How many coaches you want? How much money you what? How many tournaments you want? They can get them whatever they want. The second way: They get used to the weather, no jet lag, their culture, the same food and the competition gym. For sure they're going to train there many times. This is an advantage for them. But, if they don't take this right, it could be difficult for them and they may take a lot of pressure. The people gave them everything; the only thing they want (in return) is gold. I think silver is pretty good too, and bronze.

What are your memories of winning the gold medal at the 1984 Olympics?
    It was very special for everybody on my team. Before those Olympic Games we won every tournament except for the Olympics because we boycotted in 1980. So we lost that chance. We won the '81 World Cup, '82 World Championships, and the '83 World University Games -- every tournament. So it was pretty exciting. But that's really big pressure too because it was the first time I played in the Olympic Games. It was a group tournament and in one of the preliminary matches we lost to the U.S. The U.S. was very, very strong. But in the (gold medal-match) we beat them.

Where do you keep your gold medal?
    I keep it in China. My mom probably put it somewhere. A secret place (laughs).

-- Compiled by Jon Ackerman, NBCOlympics.com

• Speaking with Logan Tom
    Logan Tom made her Olympic debut as a 19-year-old at the 2000 Sydney Games, and was the team's leading scorer at the 2004 Olympics. But Tom grew so frustrated with the national team that she left after Athens. After a stint on the beach and professional indoor volleyball overseas, Tom inquired about coming back in 2007. She was welcomed with open arms and fit right back into her role as one of the most dynamic scorers in the world.

After Athens, you left the U.S. team but continued playing professionally overseas and on the beach. How did you go about coming back?
    I contacted them first to see if they needed help. I knew World Cup was coming up. They have young girls coming up that can bang balls but I thought they would probably need help with ball control, which is probably what I do best being outside hitter. So I came back to see if they needed any help with anything, and just came back completely open to whatever they needed. Whether they wanted me back I had no idea. But they were very nice about it and said, "Yeah, come back and start training and see what you can do."

Was it an easy transition back onto the team?
    Oh yeah, it was fine. Obviously there are different players, so it's going to be new learning the players and learning to play with them, especially passing and stuff like that. But it was fine. The girls made it easy for me.

Did your time on the beach help or hurt your indoor game?
    It's give and take, a little bit of both. For me probably the hardest thing coming back was that my arm swing was different. They stopped me from full swinging on the beach so I got in the habit of half swinging, which here you can't do. (Some of the differences indoor are) having six players on the court, being a faster surface, and players are used to digging hard-driven balls. On the beach that was probably the easiest thing for me to do was digging hard-driven balls because I'm used to having balls come at me all the time.

Do you think you might go back to playing on the beach?
    Possibly, yeah. It depends on how things kind of go, how my indoor career is going, or if I want time off, which I probably won't because I get stir crazy. It's ridiculous. I drive myself insane. But I enjoyed it, I like the beach. I guess I'll probably, if I go back to the beach, want to keep up something more light for me, just from a professional point of view if I'm still playing indoor. Just because you book eight months out of the year where volleyball is my job; I don't want 12 months to be like that.

You played against Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh a few times on the beach. What's it like playing against the best beach volleyball team in the world?
    They don't make mistakes. It's frustrating playing against them. You know they're good, both technically-wise and they've been playing together for a long time, so they just don't give you any leeway. You have to be on top of you game.

How many different partners did you have in your stint at beach volleyball?
    Six.

Is it hard to get the chemistry down with so many partners?
    Yeah, especially on the beach it's different because there's only two players out there, so you definitely feel your personality and obviously your partner's personality a lot more than you would indoor, where there's six players on the court. So if your personalities don't mesh, if you're a frickin' bitch on the court and you have this timid little kitten over here, you're going to scare her half to death. And then if you have two really aggressive people they can butt heads and fight with each other.

Do individual personalities not come into play as much indoor with more players?
    I think they can be overlooked a lot of the times, be put on the back burner for a little bit, I would say. But I just think there's more of an influence when there's only two players on the court.

Back to the U.S. indoor team, you guys won bronze at the 2007 World Cup, but two of the top teams, Russia and China, were not there. Do you feel you're a medal contender going into Beijing?
    I think for sure we're a medal contender. And I think if you ask anyone they would say that, even opponents. I definitely think the last quad (quadrennium) was up and down, but I think there's definitely potential. We've beat all the good teams at least, it's just a matter of consistency.

Early in your national team days, you were given the nickname of "Doogie" after the TV child prodigy. Do you still hear that name?
    Yeah, it never leaves. It's the older players, because I was 15, 16 when I first made the national team. So even if it's not even volleyball they'll call me Doogie, or they'll write Doogie on emails. It's cute, it's endearing. There's some players I don't think I've heard say my actual name.

• Speaking with Danielle Scott-Arruda
    Few athletes are able to qualify for one Olympics, let alone four. But Danielle Scott-Arruda remains one of the world's best middle blockers 12 years after making her Olympic debut at the Atlanta Games. And she's not yet ruling out a fifth trip to the Olympics. She's obviously found a way to stay healthy year after year, and surprisingly enough, chocolate may have played a large role.

You are on the cusp of your fourth Olympics. What's your secret for sticking around so long?
    First and foremost, I just feel really grateful to God for sustaining me throughout these years. I have not had any real serious, serious injuries. But definitely I think staying in shape in the off-season and coming back prepared to play right away -- because a lot of times you don't have time to work in slowly and get better. And then since I've been playing so long, I'm pretty familiar with what types of exercises I need in the weight room. And the coaches and staff for all my teams, professionally and here (in the U.S.), have allowed me to do those exercises I need to kind of keep my self in shape and healthy.

Will these be your last Olympics?
    Well, I'm not retiring so it won't be my last match in volleyball. Future? Only the Lord knows. Five Olympics? Wow, that would be outstanding. But I don't know. I'd like to have a family. I'll probably play at least a couple more years abroad but I'm not putting any limitations. We'll see how my body is and if the desire is still there and if the need is still there for me to play. Who knows?

The U.S. women's team took bronze at the 2007 World Cup, but Russia and China were not there. Would you consider the U.S. a medal contender?
    I think our team has a lot of room for growth, which is good. That could be really explosive at the Olympics. We have players who have won national championships, who have won world titles. So we're definitely always in it to contend for a medal, even a gold medal. Right now the level is so close it kind of depends on how prepared you are, how much you fight, and your will to just finish the games and do it at the Olympics. And if our team can stay healthy I definitely think we can be a medal contender.

The women's national team coach, "Jenny" Lang Ping, is extremely popular in China from her playing and coaching days for the country. Can her knowledge of the culture and people help your team over there?
    I think in terms of maybe sometimes if we need extra gym time in a different location. I think that's going to be an advantage. We just can't allow it to be a distraction because she's going to get a lot of attention. But she's gotten that attention throughout the quadrennium so I think our team is pretty prepared for that.

What was it like the first time you traveled with her to China?
    Well, even in the remote places that are not even China, if there is a Chinese person around they're like, "Ahhh! Jenny!" I remember one time at the airport we kind of surrounded her to give her a break after taking a million pictures; there was still a million more to be taken so we surrounded her. But it's pretty cool that in some countries even after many years of playing you can still maintain (the celebrity status). It's like our Hollywood people, how famous they are.

Between the national team and your professional team in Brazil, do you really have an off-season?
    I haven't had an off-season since '97 and '98. And in those two years I tried out for the WNBA, so I was still doing something. But no, my off-season is usually about three weeks, and six weeks is the max. So I keep training during that period.

Do you still play basketball at all?
    Once in a while I do pick up a game but not so much anymore.

Understand you have a ritual of eating chocolate before every match. Can you explain?
    (laughs) I've done that for I don't know how many years. And this year from January I've been trying to do a slightly different regimen. Actually just being a little bit healthier with my diet; eating the five times a day -- you know, the snack in between breakfast and lunch, and things like that. So I really minimized my sweets and chocolate intake. I was just thinking: I usually take the Hersey's nuggets with me, like two or three bags. And I was over at Tayyiba's house and she had some on her table. I was like, "Ah, no! You're evil!" So I don't know if I'm still going to do that. I think one before a match should be fine, you know, a small piece. Just controlling it. So yeah, that's been a ritual for I don't know how long. And even Emery (Hill, Jr., a team medical support member) gets involved. He's like, "Have you had your chocolate? Wait, it's gotta be right before we get on the bus. Or as soon as you leave out of my training area."

• Speaking with Tayyiba Haneef-Park
    At 6-foot-7, Tayyiba Haneef-Park is four inches taller than any of her teammates -- and six inches taller than her husband, who's an Air Force pilot. So naturally, she's a force at the net for the U.S. women's volleyball team. But what if she wants to wear high-heeled shoes around her spouse? He's as confident as his wife is about her team's medal chances in Beijing.

How are you before these Games as opposed to four years ago? Feel more prepared?
    My first experience we went in with really high expectations and early on we lost a few crucial matches, so the gold medal wasn't really obtainable anymore. I think things kind of fell apart from there. So my first experience at the Olympics wasn't a really positive one and I think I kind of learned from that just to work really hard and take nothing for granted. This experience will be what we make of it, like nobody's going to hand us a gold medal. You really have to go in every day and work hard for it.

You guys took third at the 2007 World Cup, but two of the best teams -- Russia and China -- were not there. Is the U.S. a medal contender going into the Olympics?
    We finished off last year (2007) very well with the bronze medal. I think we feel renewed and we have a new spirit; we just want to fight. Our first goal: make it to quarterfinals. From there, I think once we make it to the quarterfinal round, anything's possible. I definitely think that we should be on the medal stand.

The U.S. women's team got a new coach after 2004, Jenny Lang Ping, who's a legend in China for her role on the 1984 gold medal-winning Chinese team and later as the Chinese coach. Were you aware of her celebrity status in China before she got here?
    Not so much. I knew a little bit about her, of course, from playing volleyball. But traveling with her is a completely different experience. She's like Michael Jordan over there. You know, we're sitting on the plane and people are coming by taking pictures; we go to baggage claim and they swarm her. It's unbelievable. No, I didn't know that she was so famous to that extent.

When was it that you traveled with her over there?
    I want to say we've played there at least two or three times for a leg of Grand Prix (the past few years) or some tournament. And even going to Macau (1,200 miles south of Beijing), they still know her there.

Has everyone gotten used to the attention so it won't be much of a distraction for the Olympics?
    Yeah, definitely. The first time around we were just kind of amazed by it and taken aback by it. But we've experienced it now and we know it's going to happen. I'm sure they're going to have some extra security for her with people around. I think this is a different experience: you're going to the Olympics and you're focusing on one goal, so you can't be distracted by the rest that.

You were recently married and your husband, Anthony, is a pilot in the Air Force. How did you guys meet?
    We met here (Colorado Springs), he went to the Air Force Academy. We met right before the Olympics in 2004; he was graduating. Just kind of out on the town we met. He's stationed out in Hawaii now; he's flying C-17 cargo planes and he'll be out there for about four years. So we try to make it work as best we can, he comes when he can. We usually see each other for a week or two every two or three months. We make it work.

You're 6-foot-7 and he's 6-1. Was he cool with being shorter from the get-go?
    He's been really cool. We have fun with it. As far as dating, I think he was one of the first people that was just himself. He didn't try to impress me by being an athlete or being tall. A lot of guys I'd meet were football or basketball players. He was just real; he was himself and he doesn't mind it. Some of the girls have husbands who are the same height, and they'll want to wear heels but their husbands don't like it. The other day I bought some two-inch heels and he's like, "You know what, you're already six inches taller, so what's two more inches?"

We understand that you had a lucky sports bra for the 2004 Olympics?
    (laughs) Still have it. I do.

So you still wear it?
    I still have it, it's a little worn now so I can't wear it as often. But yes, my big matches and ones that I'm really geared up for I still have it. I still put it on.

What's the story behind it?
    My mother worked as a volunteer at the Atlanta Olympics. That's when I was still kind of coming up and the dream was to one day go to the Olympics. So that was my little token and I'd wear it thinking, "This is what I'm playing for, this is what I'm going towards."

• Speaking with Heather Bown
    Despite just being thrilled to make the 2000 U.S. Olympic team, Heather Bown was a significant contributor. On the verge of her third Olympics, her role has gone from newbie to veteran, but her power and speed are still as much of a force as they've ever been.

As the U.S. women prepare for Beijing with aspirations for their first medal since 1992, Bown talked with NBCOlympics.com via e-mail about how the 2008 team compares to her past Olympic teams, what it's like traveling with a Chinese legend, and why she ended up pursuing volleyball over swimming.

Beijing will be your third Olympics. Did you ever anticipate going to three Olympics?
    In all honesty, the first Games were a gift, the second were a lot of hard work, and the third, well I am not there yet, but I hope that it will be the rewarding one out of the three. The group of players that I have had the honor of representing our country with in the last two Games is still hanging around to finish what we have started together.

How does this team compare to Olympics past?
    For me personally, it's strange to have been the youngster on the 2000 team and now one of the oldest players. So the dynamics have shifted a bit, but the team on a whole I think is extremely talented. We have a great mixture of new and old players. And it's a team that everyone can play on; not just the starting six, but truly the entire 12 that travel. Which we have not really had in the past. So I guess it has much more depth, which is a wonderful thing to have when going against the best in the world.

Do you consider the U.S. a medal contender, or was the bronze at the 2007 World Cup tough to judge because Russia and China weren't there?
    I always believe we can have a podium finish. We have a very hard working team, and when we are on, it's very difficult to play with us. And I think we turned some heads in Japan (at the World Cup) last November. The way we played as a cohesive team was amazing, and even with all of our injuries we still managed to play well and reach our goal. If we continue on that road, we will be seeing our flag hanging at the award ceremony in Beijing.

The U.S. women's head coach is "Jenny" Lang Ping, an Olympic gold medalist and former coach for China. What's it like to play for her?
    I really like Jenny, I have a good time with her in the gym. She challenges me on little things that I don't always realize I need to pay attention to, which is frustrating and eye-opening at the same time. She understands when she can push us and when she needs to back off a little. It's nice to see her openness to listening to our opinions on things. She also challenges us to look at all aspects of the opponents when we scout them for competition. In the end it's a lot of hours in the gym, but if she will take us where we want to go in August then it's all worth it as far as I am concerned.

Were you aware of her legend in China before she started coaching here?
    I had heard of her, but never really understood until we went to Asia with her. We travel to China almost every year for the Grand Prix, and she will get the cell phones taken out to snap photos of her, people staring and pointing. It's really funny to see her in that arena because for us she's just our coach, but for them she is an icon. The only downfall for us is that she gets gym time anywhere and everywhere she wants (lol).

Understand you used to be a swimmer? What led you away from that and into volleyball?
    Yes, I swam in high school before joining the volleyball team my junior year. In all honesty, the only thing that took me away from the water was the recruiting letters I started receiving for volleyball. Well, maybe the second reason I stayed with volleyball was that I could finally talk to people in practice -- not so easy to do when swimming a 500.

And you're friends with Olympic swimming gold medalist Jason Lezak. What's it like to have a friend who's won an Olympic gold medal?
    I hope that this can be asked to my friends come August 25th! Seriously though, I have a few friends that have medals, and for me nothing changes. If anything, they are the most humble people you will come across. However, they do get awful busy running around, fall off the radar for a bit, then pop back up again. But we all do what we do because we love it. We enjoy the people and experiences we are fortunate enough to have in our lives. Earning a medal is just a bonus to all the great things we get to do. And well, it sure does beat a postcard as a keepsake.

• Speaking with Kim Glass
    The U.S. women's volleyball team is loaded with Olympic veterans. Kim Glass is not one such player. She joined the national team in 2007 and will make her Olympic debut in Beijing. A part-time starter at the 2007 World Cup and 2008 World Grand Prix, Glass spoke with NBCOlympics.com via e-mail about how her role on the team, her first experience witnessing her coach's Chinese legend, and which reality show she tried valiantly to appear on.

On the verge of your first Olympics, is this a place you expected you'd be at age 23?
    Actually, this is a new adventure for me. I kept my options open. Honestly, I didn't know where I'd be at 23. But I'm glad I'm here.

You'll turn 24 during the Olympics. Are there any birthday traditions you'll have to try to carry out in China?
    Naw, I'm thinking about ballin'! I don't have any family traditions, but the team always gets a cake and sings the traditional song, which is super cool. My birthday has always been during a pre-season, or a tournament since high school. So there's never much of a celebration. But I like to think that I celebrate my life everyday, so it's okay.

What do you see as your role on the team, being young with so many veterans who've been to multiple Olympics?
    My role on the team is to be a straight baller! Be the biggest asset I can be to the team, in every way possible. I learn from the veterans, but also try to challenge them. They are great, and so inspiring and supportive. They make you feel right at home.

Do you consider the U.S. a medal contender, or was the bronze at the 2007 World Cup tough to judge because Russia and China weren't there?
    This is America -- we're not in this for participation points. Yes, it's a tough road with or without Russia or China, two very good teams, but of course we're medal contenders. Everyone on this team is committed to winning.

What's it like to play for Jenny Lang Ping?
    She's a cool coach. She's very calm, I like that. All coaches have different styles and you gotta learn to fit in with each of them.

She starred on the early '80s Chinese women's volleyball team that won Olympic gold in 1984. Were you aware of her legend in China before she started coaching here?
    No I wasn't. But with our first trip overseas, I instantly became aware of her royal status in China. We had to form a wall around her in the airport. People were sending their kids to snake through our cracks. I can only imagine how celebrities out here feel. In a way it was exciting, and in a way it was like, "Leave the lady alone and let her eat a meal, geez." But she's a stud, she's humble, and absolutely great with her fans. I didn't see her turn one person down! We did use her name to our advantage in the airport, and they totally hooked us up on the seating. So boy I'm glad she's my coach!

You've played professionally in Turkey. Any idea why Turkey came to have an elite professional women's volleyball league?
    I've been playing professionally for three years now. I've only played in Turkey one season. Why they developed the league, I'm not exactly sure. It wasn't the first thing I asked when I signed the contract, but I think it had something to do with mini spandex shorts paired with the whole long leg thing. I'm thinking that definitely could have been a deciding factor.

Any pre-game rituals you like to do?
    Game day, I like to take bath and sit in the dark and just relax and meditate, and do visualization, and pray. Then I take a nap, wake up, and put on my pump-up CD. And it's game time!

What's one interesting thing about you that most people might not know?
    In college, I tried out for America's Next Top Model five times. Tyra (Banks, the host) is a hater! Just kidding. But seriously I have a shoe fetish, and I absolutely love heels -- even though I'm 6-2 1/2. Now only if they made more in my size!

• That's great stuff! :thumbsup:
    I didn't know Lang Ping is still so popular in China! Nor that Scott-Arruda played basketball.

Tayyifa's husband must a really self-confident man. Good on him! And I'm not surprised Glass wanted to try out modeling. ;)