Sarah Pavan, Canadian or Italian?

• I know this is a weird question, but I was looking at some Nebraska videos and Im simply stunned by Sarah Pavan's talent.

Here's the question, as I was researching anything about her on the internet, I came across the fact that she's from Ontario, Canada. No Problem. However, listed at the website of the Italian A1 league is about her nationality as being an Italian. (I know she was born to Italian parents).

My question, had she represented Canada before, thereby forfeiting her chances of representing Italy?

Or is she a lock-in for Italy?

Im sure she'll be a part either of the 2 if situation exists. She's just a tremendous talent on the Opposite.

"[size=8]It's years and years of work and sacrifice and dedication. Along with a lot of these girls, we've sweat and we've bled and we've cried together in past Olympics. It just brought tears to my eyes, & I'm more than thrilled. This will be forever." -LOGAN MAILE LEI TOM (Silver Medallist - 2008 Beijing & 2012 London Olympic Games, 2011 World Cup runner up, 2003 & 2007 World Cup 3rd place, 2002 World Champs runner up, 4-time World GrandPrix Champs)

• She has represented the Canadian NT before,but I guess she'll choose to be a Italian citizen in the next years,so maybe she'll get the chance to represent th Italian NT in the future.

Lloyd + Naz + Wołosz + Hanke + Smutná + Mori
    Bokan + Zakrievskaja + Bricio + Vilponen + Jupïter + A.Lazić + Stepanova + Marković
    Onyejekwe + N.Dimitrova + Crkoňová + de Kruijf + Truškina + Thibeault + Omelčenko + Schauss
    Rourke + Bošković + Fabris + Kajalina + Collar + Simić + Miklai + Vasilantonaki
    Courtois + Venegas + Gaído + Castillo + Gómez + Kiselyova

• If she wants to play in Italian NT, she should stop playing in Canadian NT, then after 2 years break, she can play for Italy.

• If she wants to play in Italian NT, she should stop playing in Canadian NT, then after 2 years break, she can play for Italy.

Oh okey. So that's the rule. 2 years of no playing for the Canadian NT, she'll be able to play for Italy.

She has represented the Canadian NT before,but I guess she'll choose to be a Italian citizen in the next years,so maybe she'll get the chance to represent th Italian NT in the future.

So she represented Canada before. Thank you for the wonderful replies!

"[size=8]It's years and years of work and sacrifice and dedication. Along with a lot of these girls, we've sweat and we've bled and we've cried together in past Olympics. It just brought tears to my eyes, & I'm more than thrilled. This will be forever." -LOGAN MAILE LEI TOM (Silver Medallist - 2008 Beijing & 2012 London Olympic Games, 2011 World Cup runner up, 2003 & 2007 World Cup 3rd place, 2002 World Champs runner up, 4-time World GrandPrix Champs)

• Oh okey. So that's the rule. 2 years of no playing for the Canadian NT, she'll be able to play for Italy.

However, only 1 player for a NT is allowed to have played previously for other NT. So Italians with Aguero can't have more naturalized players who represented other countries (like Carolina Costagrande and in this case S. Pavan). When Aguero is not on the team anymore, one spot will be up for grabs.
    I have no idea about Pavan's case, but usually having a dual citizenship (I'm assuming Canada allows to have it) is simply convenient because of European Union's rules regarding the labour market (equal rights, well, almost equal, with some restrictions for the new members that joined in 2004 or later). Besides, the Italian federation has a limit of minimum 3 Italians on field (out of 7, libero included), so Pavan can simply play as an "Italian" making more room for other foreign players. That was for example Aguero's status in Novara in 2006/07 season (they only had Anzanello and Cardullo in the usual starting seven and other girls were foreigners: Skowronska, Osmokrovic, Spasojevic, Mert), Aguero received the Italian citizenship right before the start of the season.

• Pavan grew up in Kingston, ON however has spent close to 5 years in the US under Nebraska scholarship. She currently plays for Congeliano in Serie A1. It's possible for her to play for the US NT if she has had dual citizenship between CAN and US. In fact it might be more likely for her to play for US then ITA. Assuming she resides in the US during professional off-season, she could qualify for US citizenship in a reasonable time frame.

• Pavan has been a full Italian citizen for about 18 months now. It has already been more than 2 years since she last represented Canada in a national team. She can represent either nation at this point. The only people who have talked of Pavan representing the USA are wishful thinking Americans! :D

I can't imagine Pavan representing Canada ever again. The Canadian national team program is in bad shape and showing no signs of being able to improve itself.

I don't think Pavan is considered a naturalized citizen by Italian law. She accepted Italian citizenship that is her right by "jus sanguinis" (parent is a citizen). She only had to claim Italian citizenship by a certain age. I don't know if the FIVB would consider her a naturalized player because she previously represented Canada, or if the FIVB would not because by Italian law she is not naturalized.

• Pavan has been a full Italian citizen for about 18 months now. It has already been more than 2 years since she last represented Canada in a national team. She can represent either nation at this point. The only people who have talked of Pavan representing the USA are wishful thinking Americans! :D

I can't imagine Pavan representing Canada ever again. The Canadian national team program is in bad shape and showing no signs of being able to improve itself.

I don't think Pavan is considered a naturalized citizen by Italian law. She accepted Italian citizenship that is her right by "jus sanguinis" (parent is a citizen). She only had to claim Italian citizenship by a certain age. I don't know if the FIVB would consider her a naturalized player because she previously represented Canada, or if the FIVB would not because by Italian law she is not naturalized.

Canadian NT womens and mens team are one of the few programs without well... any sponsorship.Its a wonder it exists at all when a fair portion of their practice time is funded through fundraising.

• Sarah Pavan is selected for Canada NT.

Athletes attending the 2010 Selection Camp (May 5- 8 ) include:
    Setters:
    Lauren O'Reilly, BC, Trinity Western University
    Samantha Loewen, MB, University of Manitoba
    Kelci French, AB, Full-Time Training Centre
    Carla Bradstock, BC, Linz, Austria

Left Side:
    Tammy Mahon, MB, Baku, Azerbaijan
    Tiffany Dodds, SK, Mayaguez, Puerto Rico
    Brittany Page, BC, Las Palmas, Spain
    Kerri Smit, NS, St. Mary's University
    Kristina Fabris, ON, Klagenfurt, Austria