CHINA NT Roster officially announced!!! 2012's new hope !!!

• hey guys, CVA (China Volleyball Association) officially announced the new NT list of 20 players this Monday. the very 2nd NT list this season comes out on 2009.03.30 just after the USA roster last weekend, here are my briefly introduction to this China new NT roster, although it leads more doubts, argument, astonishment, puzzlement and uncertainty in China at the moment.......

In the brand new roster, only 6 "young veterans" were members of 2008 Beijing OG bronze medal squad, Wang Yimei, Xue Ming, Li Juan, Wei Qiuyue, Ma Yuewen and Xu Yunli. Feng Kun, Zhou Suhong, Zhao Ruirui, Yang Hao and more experienced players are out of the new coach, CAI Bin's proposed composition, who is aiming at the gold medal in London OG.

The big Striker, Wang Yimei, is definately counted in, but her name turns up in the position of Opposite this time. Another universal player from Shanghai Club, Zhang Lei, who's been highly regarded as Zhou Suhong's successor, is called in NT for the very first time with her fairly good performance in CVL this season. the rsing star, Zeng Chunlei, from Beijing Club is the third competator for this crucial position.

China NT's outside hitters become stronger than ever this season, not only Li Juan, Hui Ruoqi and Zhao Yanni are convocated again in China NT, but Wang Yimei's teammate, Chu Jinling, the powerful come-backer, who used to be a wing spikers in Chen Zhonghe's NT roster in 2005-06, will surely strengthen china's offensive attacks. Together with them, Huo Xuan from Henan Club is the new comer. she appears slim but still a tough attacker physically.

the middle blockers seem to have reached a tallest avarage height in china volleyball history. all 7 players are of over 190 cm. The "double Tower" in 2008 WGP----Ma Yunwen and Xue Ming will be the leaders who still hold the space to improve a lot. the substitute, Xu Yunli has almost the same height with pioneer, Zhao Ruirui. Four new blockers, Yin Meng, Luo Yu, Zhao Yu and Chen Yao complete the rest of the list.

Wei Qiuyue is going to be the first line-up setter for China NT, Wang Chen and Shen Jingsi, the setters from National Junior Womens Team and Youth Girls Team will have quite a long way to approach the senior level. this convocation is gonna be a big approval and affirmation from head coach and CVA.

the last but not the least, Zhang Xian and Wang Qian deserve it, because they are the most active and intelligent liberos in China so far.

finally, the 20 player list for 2009, about to be submitted to FIVB shortly for official confirmation.

SETTER (3)

WEI Qiuyue 1988 182cm TIANJIN
    SHEN Jingsi 1989 186cm ARMY
    WANG Chen 1990 182cm SICHUAN

OPPOSITE (3)

WANG Yimei 1988 190cm LIAONING
    ZENG Chunlei 1989 186cm BEIJING
    ZHANG Lei 1985 181cm SHANGHAI

OUTSIDE HITTER (5)

CHU Jinling 1984 190cm LIAONING
    LI Juan 1982 187cm TIANJIN
    HUI Ruoqi 1991 192cm JIANGSU
    ZHAO Yanni 1988 187cm SICHUAN
    HUO Xuan 1988 190cm HENAN

MIDDLE BLOCKER (7)

XUE Ming 1987 192cm BEIJING
    MA Yuewen 1986 190cm SHANGHAI
    XU Yunli 1987 197cm FUJIAN
    YIN Meng 1985 191cm HEBEI
    LUO Yu 1987 191cm ZHEJIANG
    ZHAO Yu 1986 190cm SHANDONG
    CHEN Yao 1988 192cm ARMY

LIBERO (2)

ZHANG Xian 1985 167cm YUNNAN
    WANG Qian 1989 174cm TIANJIN
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

whats your opinion then???

i may not be the tallest,
    the fastest, or the strongest,
    but at least i can do one thing better than anyone else,
    to be me...

• -

Wowww ,
    verry good !
    7 middle blockers ...

and the numbers ?????
    exemplo :

J Li - # 11
    Xue Ming - # 10

• Oh no, is China dropping its peculiar system?

Wang Yimei is listed as OPP. Chinese OPP are false OPP (kinda MB, or better Universal if you want). But I don't think Wang has the characteristics of Suhong and Yanan Liu to play that way.

A big question mark

Wang Yimei is listed as OPP. Chinese OPP are false OPP (kinda MB, or better Universal if you want). But I don't think Wang has the characteristics of Suhong and Yanan Liu to play that way.

A big question mark

The new coach Cai Bin said that he will change somethings of the system,and 4 players in the list- Wang Chen,Zhao Yu,Huo Xuan & Chen Yao will not join the team this time,numbers are not decided yet!

Lloyd + Naz + Wołosz + Hanke + Smutná + Mori
    Bokan + Zakrievskaja + Bricio + Vilponen + Jupïter + A.Lazić + Stepanova + Marković
    Onyejekwe + N.Dimitrova + Crkoňová + de Kruijf + Truškina + Thibeault + Omelčenko + Schauss
    Rourke + Bošković + Fabris + Kajalina + Collar + Simić + Miklai + Vasilantonaki
    Courtois + Venegas + Gaído + Castillo + Gómez + Kiselyova

A big question mark

:lol: China's new tactics as the new young coach Cai said will change. At least the opposite will not do anything as what Zhou Suhong did before. Wang Yimei doesn't need to take the reception. All she needs to do is spike and spike and spike. :rolll:

A big question mark

Cai said he planned to blur the conventional Chinese conception of OPP and OH. That's how Wang Yimei was listed as OPP while Chu Jinling (she's been in NT from 2006 to 2007 as OH, but good performance as a OPP during this season) was listed as OH. It looks he wanna lead Chinese Female Vbol team into an American or European way, which is not optimistic in our understanding...

Hope he won't ruin the new NT~~~

Personally, I am hoping Suhong Zhou will get chance to play in London OG although she's tired and really need some rest to be with her family.

Anyway, good luck to them~

• :lol: China's new tactics as the new young coach Cai said will change. At least the opposite will not do anything as what Zhou Suhong did before. Wang Yimei doesn't need to take the reception. All she needs to do is spike and spike and spike. :rolll:

She will be exhausted on the floor~~~she's such a huge girl..

• The new team's reception - my opinion based on paper - is not that good. The Athens team had a stable reception. Now that they won't be having a receiving OPP, who are their OHs that are most stable?

• It looks he wanna lead Chinese Female Vbol team into an American or European way, which is not optimistic in our understanding...

Hope he won't ruin the new NT~~~

I'm worried!! China had the most beautiful way of playing volleyball. Very pleasant to the eye! But I guess art is not important in VB. hehe :lol:

I understand that they want to win, but China didn't do bad in the last year!

Euro style is so boring! I hope they are going to mock the Brazilians at least, which style is much more sparky.

• I'm worried!! China had the most beautiful way of playing volleyball. Very pleasant to the eye! But I guess art is not important in VB. hehe :lol:

Euro style is so boring! I hope they are going to mock the Brazilians at least, which style is much more sparky.

I couldn't agree more.

But China should has several aggressive in hitting and good in receiption OHs like Marianne of Brazil to follow Brazilians way. Maybe it's time to have a revolution. Who knows...

Let's see their first show at end of this May.

• I'm worried!! China had the most beautiful way of playing volleyball. Very pleasant to the eye! But I guess art is not important in VB. hehe :lol:

Oh. Thank you. But beauty doesn't make a champion,Hehehe. :cup:
    And as the host of 2008 Olympics that China lost in semi-final was a big pity.Feng cried in one of group match.Because she felt she couldn't do as good as what she performed in 2004. After the semi-final almost all the girls cried. Coach Chen didn't cry in court. But he cried like a baby after the match in an interview. :wall: Anyway losing to Brazil is not a shame. Now almost all the girls in previous 2 Olympic cycles will have to leave the NT. Few of them may be remained for 2012. But this year young players will be major in NT.The new coach Cai admires Euro-Latin style for years.And it is hard to copy Zhou Suhong (the special OP) depending on the ability of young players in China now .

From my point of view China is mocking Brazilian style. :lol: See Wang Yimei is like Sheilla : no reception just spike (#1,2,4) any positions on court. But she needs to be on a diet a little bit or she will be exhausted. :white: CHU Jinling is like Mari (once OP now OH). LI Juan is like Paula Pequeno (not as tough as Mari in spike but with a comparably stable reception). And Ma Yunwen will be Walewska or Carol Gattaz. XU Yunli (1.97m) will be trained to be close to Thaisa. This girl has an incredible body status. She was chosen to be the successor of Zhao Ruirui. But 3 years past she doesn't improve anything. Sigh... :hit: Hope this year she could be a miracle.Who is Fabiana's countpart? :read: Give up. China's young middle-blockers are tall but too skinny too weak in strength.Maybe XUE Ming, YIN Meng and LUO Yu could give a chance to try. Setter WEI Qiuyue, the girl is kinda like Mari after 2004. She was blamed for what she did in semi-final.Substituted in court to make a serve then serve out again and again.But the girl is tough-minded and she gave a shit and won this season nantional champion again. She is tall, plump and slow. Look she is like Carol Albuquerque. :dance6: (sorry, if I offend) Libero: ZHANG Xian is physically like Fabi, WANG Qian is mentally like Fabi. See a Chinese version Brazil NT. :teach: Wanna see how good we are. :thumbsup: Let's meet in international this May.
    (If my comments offend someone I am sorry in advance. But this is my true viewpoint. :rose: )

• Rainbow looks like did a quite good lesson about Chinese NT not only for the current crew but the former.

Well, if it really happens like what you assumed, we shall be delighted. Brazil NT is a female team but applying a male way to play vbol mostly among the world. That's the trend for female vbol.

But...some of the players have a long way to go to be the equal players in Brazil team. Like...Ji Juan, Wei Qiuyue... :lol:

• I hope you are right guys!
    Brazilian volleyball is almost as beautiful as Chinese style. But the Chinese doesn't have the samba factor, so I don't know if it will work? Let's hope.

The Chinese team in 2004: that was pure art!

About Wei Qiuyue - she has the potential to become the new Feng (or Fofao). :)

Oh. Thank you. But beauty doesn't make a champion,Hehehe. :cup:

Unfortunately! But Brazil last year won with their beautiful style. People criticized Brazil, saying that they have pleasant way of playing, but that doesn't make them champions. Finally they won the most important competition.

• :down: Yeah, We can't dance samba like Brazilians. Generally Chinese dances are a little bit slow. But we still can shake a lot like yangko :whistle: And Besides we have Chinese Kungfu. :box: (just kidding).

About Wei Qiuyue - depending on her body size and ever-slow pace I think it is hard to copy Fofao.Anyway I think Mr. Cai wants to make her a large version of Lo Bianco. He is super crazy about Lo Bi.

Sorry for my simple volleyball knowledge but here we call Brazilian style is man-style volleyball. ^^ Thank you for saying 2004 Chinese team pure art. After all I hope new Chinese NT could be still competitive. :win:

• Wang Yimei cannot be compared to Sheilla in terms of speed and quickness, but what she lacks in that area she compensates with power. However, from what I observed over the past few years, the chinese love a quick style of play - love the combos of Zhou Suhong and Liu Yanan, so I don't know if the change of OPP will mean a change in the team's playing tempo.

I disagree (not in an antagonizing way :lol: ) that Paula is not as tough as Mari in attacking, I do think that Paula hits harder and that Li Juan is not comparable to her. However, Li has a good court vision which she uses to her advantage.

• Wang Yimei cannot be compared to Sheilla in terms of speed and quickness, but what she lacks in that area she compensates with power. However, from what I observed over the past few years, the chinese love a quick style of play - love the combos of Zhou Suhong and Liu Yanan, so I don't know if the change of OPP will mean a change in the team's playing tempo.

We don't know what the coach have in mind (at least here in Italy). In China maybe you have more clues? So mine is just pure speculation.
    Maybe the coach will not change that much after all! I can see that it s a good idea to not having the OPP to receive, if she is Wang YiMei, but changing the team's playing tempo will create a lot of troubles to team and a lot of time for the players to adjust to the change. I'm skeptical.

From my point of view, China relies a lot on ball change. That means conquering the serve until the opponents makes mistakes and China has a clear lead. That could seem obvious but it's not. Italy and Japan for example rely on defense not on ball change. They defend until the opponent make a mistake. You could see it is a very different strategy.
    This means China must have (see that I used the verb "must" not "have to") almost perfect reception, not just decent. Why? Their strategy to conquer quickly the serve, they play a lot in combination and cross combination. It depends also on the setter. With not so good reception but still decent, chinese setters of the past still run intricate combo. Chinese game is known of being very fast and witty, especially with MBs. Their "one" (or "short") are very quick and anticipated. In this way they avoid the blocks of the opposite team and trick their defence. With bad reception, even great setters could not play "one" balls.
    Even if chinese players became taller and stronger, the attackers (even OH) are still accostumed to spike quick balls. We see in Perugia that Yang Hao does not play very well, because she is not accostumed with slower and higher balls. She is often substituted. With bad reception the sets becomes very predictable.
    The chinese played their combos a lot between the MB and the OPP (the Japanese on the contrary run their combos often between the MB and the OH). So to do this they need a false OPP (Zhou Suhong, Yanan Liu). With that effective play they almost always tricked the block and the defence. Again what they needed was good reception to enable this.

What China should do it is not to revolutionize their game. That is simply fool, considering that chinese clubs and junior teams play the chinese style. They should change completely the system, if they want the revolution to be effective. Or to send all their players abroad. If not the revolution it will be inneffective.

What China needs is to polish their reception. Make it good as it was back in 2004 and in the 80s. It needs just this in my opinion.

And if they really want to change something, they should really mock the Brazilians, which style is more similiar than the Euro teams.

Just my two coins. :lol:

• Oh and if we really want to generalize and make a spectrum of teams style in my opinion should look like this (I could be really wrong on the center of the spectrum and about the distances though. If someone has a better idea and perception of the spectrum just say it)

CUBA -- RUSSIA ----------- POLAND -------- USA ------ SERBIA ---- ITALY --------- BRAZIL ----------------- CHINA ------------- JAPAN

So, if China wants to change, it has to move a little bit closer to Brazil, but not that much.

• No good. There is no stable reception on the team. The loss of Zhang Na as a Libero, Zhou Suhong and Liu Yanan will undoubetdly affect the teams tempo and ball movement. Li Juan has the best ball reception on the team now.
    Also, Wei as starting setter is questionable. She did not have the offensive cabailities as Feng and does not commit the amount of blocks or digs either. Despite possibly having better ball placement, China's move seems to be heading towards a more Italian/Serbian style of play.
    Last I remember J.L Chu was cut for being too out of shape. I really doubt that this has changed much recently. She does add to China's ability to play more of a 'power' style volleyball as she has one of the best jump serves in the CVL and can attack with similar power to that of Wang. Digging and reception are lacking however.
    Xu Yunli, despite playing as a blocking and middle substitute over the past 3 years, did not yield any productive results. She may have the height of Rui but she does not have any versatility as a middle attacker or blocker. She makes many unforced errors as an attacker too and even free ball reception has seemed questionable. Wei and Feng's lack of confidence in her is shown through how few sets she gets.
    Ma Yunwen and Xue Ming are a solid duo however China has historically used the middle attackers as 'go to' hitters through Rui. Neither hitters are capable of filling this role. Xue Ming maybe, but definitely not Ma Yunwen.
    Wei is going to be running all over the court with this team. It will be like watching Akulova try to throw the ball as high as possible to Gamova because she can't do anything else with the ball. Lets hope she has been marathon running this season.
    Either this coach will be the unpredicted success in Chinese womens vball, or he will fail terribly in his attempt to play a style of volleyball that China is unaccustomed to.

• CUBA -- RUSSIA ----------- POLAND -------- USA ------ SERBIA ---- ITALY --------- BRAZIL ----------------- CHINA ------------- JAPAN

if it means tha Cuba is playing the simplest and the least beatiful volleyball i don't agree at all. they're have horrible setter but at least they try to set fast ball(they are so damn unaccuerate but players with vertical jump ~330 know how to deal with them :D ) i still remeber this match in OG against POland when they found right rythm.they were absolutly unstopable and it was real plasure to see how great thay can play.
    Russia is definitly out of speculation their style is horrible but unfortunatly POland come 2nd, with Bonitta our setter forgot they have someone called middle blocker on court

Anyone can support a team that is winning - it takes no courage. But to
    stand behind a team to defend a team when it is down and really needs
    you, that takes a lot of courage.

• if it means tha Cuba is playing the simplest and the least beatiful volleyball i don't agree at all. they're have horrible setter but at least they try to set fast ball(they are so damn unaccuerate but players with vertical jump ~330 know how to deal with them :D ) i still remeber this match in OG against POland when they found right rythm.they were absolutly unstopable and it was real plasure to see how great thay can play.
    Russia is definitly out of speculation their style is horrible but unfortunatly POland come 2nd, with Bonitta our setter forgot they have someone called middle blocker on court

Thanks mateo that you shared your idea about the spectrum. As I've said I can really be wrong about it. It's just my perception of the teams styles.

I've put on the extreme left the teams that rely more on sheer force, powerful attacks and serves, strong block. On the contrary these teams have weaker defence, poor setting and reception, slower pace and generally they do not play a lot in combination.

I've put on the extreme right the teams that rely more on defence, reception, quick and tricky attacks, play a lot in combinations and the setter position is crucial. On the contrary these teams have problems in attack, when reception is not good, have less powerful attacks and poor blocking. They prefer tactical float serves to powerful serves.

I've put Cuba there for their game with two setters, reception disorganization (even worse than Russia), almost no use of libero, relying just on force in attacks, strong blocks and strong jump serves (Barroz, Carillo, Carcaces, Santos). Also the use of some attacks that are not seen in other teams, because seen as antiquated, but that work very much for Cuba.
    I like the way Cuba plays and I say Cuba, please, do not change!!!

This is just my point of view and if any of you are in disagreement about the spectrum of team styles I would really like to hear your opinion! :obey:

Poland with Bonitta worsened a lot. I remember Poland playing a lot in combination before Bonitta. I hope they will regain their sucesfull way of playing.