Lindsey Berg - Passion for fashion

• "Volleyball Magazine", May 2009
    by John Radtke

Lindsey Berg’s volleyball talents and successes have been well-chronicled over the years.

Now, the Hawaii native wants everyone to know about her passion for fashion.
    “I’m not sure exactly when it started,” said Berg, a setter on the last two U.S. Olympic teams who played professionally in Italy from 2005-2008. “In Hawaii everyone mostly just wears T-shirts and shorts. But when I came to the mainland and started to venture out a little, I got a passion for fashion.”

As she’s been rehabbing from knee surgery performed after the U.S. women won the silver medal in Beijing last summer, the former University of Minnesota and USPV standout has also been delving even deeper into her passion for fashion, launching the Web site lindseyberg.com, a site that not only chronicles her volleyball career but also has a lifestyle section that deals with fashion, body and mind, and offers her services as a speaker.

“All the traveling I’ve had the opportunity to do has allowed me to develop my own style,” said Berg, who graduated early from Minnesota in 2001 with a degree in business/marketing. “Fashion is an art that allows you to express yourself. I definitely see fashion in my future. I take my friends shopping now and style for them. I’d love to do that as a job. I’m going to start blogging on the Web site soon. The Web site is not only about volleyball, it’s also about lifestyle.”

How Berg left Hawaii has its own interesting story. She never planned to go to college anywhere outside the islands, or maybe California.

“I was all about the West Coast. But the recruiting process was really tough for me,” she recalled. “Schools were giving me ultimatums and I’m not a person to commit to anything without doing my research and visiting. My dad is a good friend of (Minnesota coach) Mike Hebert and my dad asked me to just consider taking a trip to Minnesota to check it out. The only negative was the weather. But I went there and while it was a little out of my comfort zone, I would not be the person I am today had I not gone there.”

The 5’8” Berg, who began playing volleyball at the age of eight for a Hawaii club team, became a star at Minnesota, earning all-Big Ten honors three straight years.

From there it was on to the USPV where she played one year for the Minnesota Chill, earning outstanding server, outstanding setter and all-USPV honors before the league folded. But, that experience led directly to Berg joining the U.S. Women’s National Team.

“It was a great transition for me,” she said of joining the USPV. “I finished college early and Minnesota had a team. I was able to join them after Christmas and it was a great experience for me to play a step higher. The national team saw me from there and I got to go to try out for (them) and show my stuff.”

Berg, USA Volleyball’s female indoor athlete of the year in 2008, made the national team, but after the disappointing U.S. finish in the 2004 Olympics in Athens, she almost quit the game.

“I almost didn’t go back after Athens,” she said. “I kind of lost my love for volleyball. We had a hard time at that Olympics. But then I got an offer to play professionally in Italy and after four years there, and with Jenny (Lang Ping) being the new coach, I decided to try the national team again.”

The Beijing Olympics, where the U.S. earned the silver medal, erased that bad memory of Athens for Berg and her teammates.

“I just wanted to do everything I could to help us get there,” Berg said. “It was a wonderful experience, the best experience of my volleyball career and one of the best experiences of my life.”

But knee surgery was imminent after Beijing and now Berg is close to being done with her rehab, which she did mostly in Minnesota while helping Hebert with spring practices and developing her Web site.

“The first 3-4 months after surgery I really didn’t have a routine,” said Berg, whose sister, Erin, played volleyball at North Carolina. “It’s good to be back into a routine.”

Berg intends to return to the national team at the end of May and doesn’t see an end to her volleyball career anytime soon. But when that day comes, it’s a pretty safe bet she’ll do just fine, using her passion for fashion as a new career.

source

• And now, after 3 years, she will reach her fashion dream!

It's possible, you just have to believe in yourself and really not care what other people say, because I've heard it all.
    If you let someone else dictate what you're going to do in life, then you won't get there.

Non so neanche come onestamente: in due mesi ero di nuovo in campo.