Natalya Mammadova: I want to win the Champions League

• One of the world's best volleyball players, Natalya Mammadova is in Belgrade right now getting ready for the new season. In an interview to the Serbian web portal "Odbojka24", "Rabita Baku" star talks about her plans for the new season, as well as her desire to play in Brazil one day.

Natasha, what brought you to Belgrade?

I came to Belgrade from Ukraine, where I spent my holiday with my parents. I came here to prepare for the new season, and to have my shoulder treated by one of the local physical therapists. I want to be ready for the new club season.

You have recently signed a one-year contract with "Rabita Baku." What are the expectations at the club for the new season?

Obviously, the goal is to win the Azerbaijani championship and the national cup. Also, our team will participate in the Champions League for the first time and I personally have great expectations for this tournament. We have created a very good team and we expect to go as far as the Final Four. I would like to finish at least third in this competition.

In "Rabita" you will play with a lot of players from Serbia. How will you communicate with them?

I have already played once in a team that had a lot of Serbians. It was in Zurich and we had seven or eight Serbian players in that team, and since I was eager to get to know them better I learned the language and now I am fluent in Serbian.

What position do you play in "Rabita"?

My primary position is a receiver and this also happens to be my weakest element. But I am working a lot on this component of the game. My strongest elements are attack and block.

What are the expectations for the Azerbaijani national team?

We had no competitions this summer. We have successfully qualified to the European championship and now we are getting ready for the Olympic Game qualifiers this December. Our goal is to qualify for the 2012 Olympic Games and to make a successful appearance at the European championship next year. If we play the way we know it, I think we can go far and maybe finish in top five.

Why is women's volleyball so popular in Azerbaijan?

Volleyball is indeed the most popular female sport in Azerbaijan. Back in a day, the success of the women's national team invoked a great interest from the public. There were a lot of good players and a lot of money was invested into the sport. Then at one point the development has stopped, but now it is again on the rise. We have a lot of up and coming young players and a great deal of money is invested into volleyball right now. I think our time is coming and the current generation can achieve a lot.

Who are these young athletes?

First of all, it is Polina Rahimova and Darya Zamanova and there are lots of other young players who are yet to make their names well known.

Have you had an opportunity to follow the Serbian national team?

The last time I played against Serbia was at the European championship in Poland. I haven’t seen Serbian team since then. I know old players, like Nikolic, Ognjenovic, Spasojevic, and I know young players like Brakocevic, Antonijevic, but I have not had a chance to see them play together as a team. Serbia was always at the top in recent years, it has a very good team and what is more important Serbia has a great future ahead.

Which team do you think demonstrates the most beautiful game?

It is definitely Brazil.

Who are your favorites to win the World Cup?

I think that the U.S. may surprise everyone if they put a complete squad. Then there is Brazil. From Europe, there are Italy and Russia. Russia has great players, especially with Sokolova back in the team, but I think their coach is their weakest link. When you have so many top level players you need a top level coach. But again the success is not all impossible for them.

Which players on your position do you value the most?

Piccinini and Sokolova.

Is there a league where you would like to play one day?

I would like to play in the Brazilian league. Top Brazilian players return home to play in their national league and they have a lot of foreign players as well and the Brazilian league is really getting stronger.

What are your career dreams?

Personally, I would like to be the best player at the European championship and on a club level I would love to win the Champions League someday.

Are there any Serbian players in particular you like?

Yes, Jelena Nikolic.

How do you spend your free time?

I like to walk. I like water parks, if I'm near a sea, I like swimming and water sports in general.

How did you like Belgrade?

This is the third time I'm here. First two times I came with my club and I did not have time to get to know the city. I visited the White Court, Kalemegdan, some exhibitions and I would love to see what else the city has to offer.

What was the last book you read?

It was a book on human psychology.

Source: Dejan Ignjatovic, Odbojka24.rs

Translation: Azerivolley

• I hope she improves her reception. It's nice that she acknowledges that it is her weakness and she is doing something to fix it. I guess this says a lot about her character as an athlete. :)

• I hope she improves her reception. It's nice that she acknowledges that it is her weakness and she is doing something to fix it. I guess this says a lot about her character as an athlete. :)

Yes,I like this character in everyone,it makes yuo look sincere. Natasha is very simple person!

• Thanks Shabovta for this very nice interview :flower: