Sanja Tomasevic: Before I came to Azerbaijan this year I was looking at team rosters and couldn't believe it!

• Natural Born Winner

Sanja Tomasevic is a globetrotter and a winner. In a prolific career that few may rival she played and won numerous accolades in Serbia, United States, Puerto Rico, Korea, Switzerland, Greece and now she is in Azerbaijan and she is a guest of Azerivolley.

Have you had any prior information about Azerbaijan and Azerbaijani volleyball?

Yeah my sister played volleyball in Rabita last year [Vesna Tomasevic] and I have heard from her a lot about the country and the league.

What were your first impressions of the city and your new team?

The city seems to be rebuilding, seems to be growing. Center is very nice and actually I was surprised how nice it was. I really like my new team! I know it's a new one in the league, but I like how the team management together with the coach is taking care of everything. Day by day everything seems to be falling into place.

What do you think about the level of competition in Azerbaijan?

Even before I came to Azerbaijan this year I was looking at team rosters and couldn't believe it! At first I thought Rabita was going to sweep the league and then I saw other teams and their players... and wow! Must I say that I am really excited to be here and that I will compete against all these great volleyball players!

How did your family react when you told them that you are going to Azerbaijan?

My family was ok with it. Like I said, my sister played here last year and I knew what to expect.

How long did it take you to decide on the offer from Azerbaijan?

It was a pretty quick decision, certainly because of the financial part of the contract, and also I will have a great year playing in this strong league.

Have you experienced a language or cultural barrier?

I would have to say that I haven't experienced anything that I didn't experience before!

How do you spend your free time in Baku?

I am hanging out with my teammates and friends from other teams. We are all trying to get to know the city!

Do you have any favorite spots?

So far we like the center and the Park Boulevard mall. Actually, the restaurant there on the top that overlooks the sea is our favorite spot.

Is there anyone you credit for helping you to become who you are today?

My parents and my sisters.

Have you already tasted any local dishes?

Yeah I have, pilaf was ok, but I love kebab!

Do you get an extra attention in public?

Umm... not that I am aware of.

Have you ever thought about what are you going to do after you retire from sport?

I will definitely like to stay in sport, maybe sport broadcasting.

What is currently on your iPod playlist?

Lot's of stuff. I love Hip-Hop, R&B, and I definitely love to listen some good old Serbian music.

What do you do when you get homesick?

I don't get homesick that much anymore thanks to Skype!

Have you had any chance to experience Baku's nightlife?

Not yet, but hopefully soon!

• Once again a very nice interview. Thank you :thumbsup: