Young stars of the USA Ashley Engle and Julie Rubenstein about Azerbaijan.

• Promising young stars of the USA National team.

More than 11,000 kilometers away, Baku may seem an odd destination for California natives Julie Rubenstein and Ashley Engle. But rising profile of the Azerbaijani league has brought these talented young players to the shores of Caspian Sea and this is what they had to say about it.

Ashley. I didn't know anything about Azerbaijan before I came here. Some girls from the U.S. team had told me about their experiences, but that was all the information I had.

Julie. A few of my American teammates were here last season, and I was able to ask them what Baku is like and also what it’s like to play here. I was very surprised at how beautiful the architecture is here, and especially at how the city lights up at night.

Ashley. The city is much different than I had expected, more construction than I thought and the downtown area is very nice with lots of great places to eat, which is very important to me. Since I have been in Baku I have checked out the old town and I enjoy walking around the downtown area, especially at night.

Julie. I really like my new team. I am trying to adjust playing with people I am unable to communicate with because of the language barrier. And the league is going to be very competitive and fun to play in. I’m excited to be in this league and of course play against all of my other U.S. teammates that are or will be here.

Ashley. The level of competition will be very high throughout the season. Our team has already scrimmaged a few teams and they are all very talented and will continue to get better just as we will.

I am very close with my family, they were surprised when I had the opportunity to play in Baku but were supportive nonetheless, they knew I wanted a competitive environment to start my professional career. Since I have been here the language barrier has not been a huge problem. My head coach speaks Russian and the majority of the players on my team speak English and have helped me when there is a communication break down.

Julie. When I told my family that I'm going to Azerbaijan their first question was, "you’re going where!?". We all had to do some research online. But once they did, they were happy for me. They are very supportive of everything I do. It has been challenging in terms of language barrier, but it is a great learning experience for me. I enjoy learning about other cultures. I am also trying to learn Russian so I can better communicate with my teammates, coach, and to be able to get around the city better. I love the city center; it’s so beautiful. I spend a lot of time there, with friends, and also eating out at different restaurants. I like trying new foods. I love the lula kebab!

Ashley. I really enjoy the local cuisine. The kebabs are really good. Overall, the hospitality has been refreshing and very helpful as well. In public, I find that people stare often but I assume its because I am very tall and typically in volleyball attire. It seems that volleyball is very popular here and everyone wants to know what team I play for.

Julie. Well being tall, blond, English-speaking, and the fact that I am almost always in athletic clothing makes me stick out too just a little bit.

What am I going to do after I quit playing volleyball? I have thought a lot about what I'm going to do after I retire from sport, and I am still unsure. I enjoy coaching, and have also thought about teaching elementary school students, which is what I studied in college.

Ashley. Once I retire from volleyball I am not sure what I will do. I think it will depend on where I live and when I retire. It's hard to know what I will want to do, when I may not retire for a few more years.

Julie. I credit my family for making me who I am today. I love and miss them very much and when I get homesick I talk with them, my friends and my fiancé on Skype!

Ashley. I do get homesick from time to time but I went to college out of state so I am used to missing my family. I also use Skype everyday to talk to my parents and my sister. My sister and brother in law currently live in Moscow, Russia because my brother-in-law, Kevin Hansen, also plays professional volleyball.

Ashley. My iPod playlist right now has John Mayer, Kid Cudi, Kesha, Tyrone Wells, Brett Dennen, Lady GaGa, and any other songs that you can dance to.

Julie. And I have quite a mix of genres and songs!

• Nice interview, thanks :)

I love the lula kebab!

I missed lülə kabab ;(

• Ashley Engle is a setter/opposite. She's 6'3 and has played for 4 years at University of Texas..and is a former teammate of Destinee Hooker.

Engle was hired as a setter for her club this year... I would be very interested how will the setting work and whether she has a shot at the setting position for the National Team.

"[size=8]It's years and years of work and sacrifice and dedication. Along with a lot of these girls, we've sweat and we've bled and we've cried together in past Olympics. It just brought tears to my eyes, & I'm more than thrilled. This will be forever." -LOGAN MAILE LEI TOM (Silver Medallist - 2008 Beijing & 2012 London Olympic Games, 2011 World Cup runner up, 2003 & 2007 World Cup 3rd place, 2002 World Champs runner up, 4-time World GrandPrix Champs)

• Really? Setter/opposite? You don't here that very often. She should go play in Cuba :P she could do both. I take it she is left handed? Since that is advantageous for both of those positions? Can she hit the second ball?

• Really? Setter/opposite? You don't here that very often. She should go play in Cuba :P she could do both. I take it she is left handed? Since that is advantageous for both of those positions? Can she hit the second ball?

Exactly. She is left handed. IMHO, she is a decent setter and an excellent attacker.

Check out this video -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYfY-3e6m50&feature=related

Check out 1:18..You can see Engle hit the 2nd ball.

Engle is the setter for the team that is wearing white. Engle is setting Destinee Hooker almost all of the time. :lol:

"[size=8]It's years and years of work and sacrifice and dedication. Along with a lot of these girls, we've sweat and we've bled and we've cried together in past Olympics. It just brought tears to my eyes, & I'm more than thrilled. This will be forever." -LOGAN MAILE LEI TOM (Silver Medallist - 2008 Beijing & 2012 London Olympic Games, 2011 World Cup runner up, 2003 & 2007 World Cup 3rd place, 2002 World Champs runner up, 4-time World GrandPrix Champs)

• NCAA matches are so fun to watch. The level of the games look so high. Not surprising US NT is full of new talents.