roundhouse serve

• Why players don't use anymore the roundhouse serve? It was an important weapon for the Chinese team some years ago. He Qi and Wu Dan used it with success. I don't see that the reception of the various teams is so good today. :whistling: Adding another weapon to the strong jump and tricky float would be good and will mess up other teams reception.

• Why players don't use anymore the roundhouse serve? It was an important weapon for the Chinese team some years ago. He Qi and Wu Dan used it with success. I don't see that the reception of the various teams is so good today. :whistling: Adding another weapon to the strong jump and tricky float would be good and will mess up other teams reception.

how is it like :whistle:

• You swing your extend arm sideways at the ball.

I think they realised that the succes of the serve had nothing to do with the technique, but more with those who were employing the serve and that they could have the same amount of succes with 'proper' technique.

• serdar, to really understand how it looks like, you have to see it. Try to watch some China matches of the 90s. You can find them on youtube or in the multimedia section in our forum and pay attention to the serves. The most recent exemple is Chinese setter He Qi, doing wonders with this serve when she played in the Italian league in Novara. If I remember correctly she played there from 2000 till 2005. But matches of Novara aren't available on the net, at least I'm not aware of.

I think they realised that the succes of the serve had nothing to do with the technique, but more with those who were employing the serve and that they could have the same amount of succes with 'proper' technique.

Probably the "proper" serve is much easier to execute with success. However I think a well executed roundhouse serve, for exemple that of the forementioned He Qi, is more difficult to receive than a well executed "proper" one. In Italian league she was the most efficient among the bunch of float servers. Maybe is just to difficult to make it efficient, so it is not worth the candle?
    There must be a reason, 'cause now that technique has become obsolete in high levels.

• Okay fair points, but I can't come up with a reason why it would be better. A ball starts to 'float' when it is hit right through the centre of the ball, that way it can float on difference in air temperature / density or whatever, because there is no spin. The spin creates it's own fluxtuations around the ball; neutralizing the effects of the air layers in the air. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm by no means an expert. The round house serve therefore can also float when it is hit in the centre of the ball. The problem with it is that it is contacted at a lower height than the normal serve, so it will have to go up and then down, which makes it easier for receivers to judge, as opposes to when it's coming straight at you in one direct line. Also it is possible to hit the ball harder and still have it go in when you hit it at a higher position.

• If I'm not wrong former Eczacibasi player Aihua Qui (CHN) would use such a serve and it was pretty effective.