Mira the Magnificent ( Interview with Mira Golubovic)

• Mira the Magnificent

One of the most experienced players in the Azerbaijani Superleague, Mira Golubovic is the epitome of success. With a good dozen of championship titles from five countries, she is a true inspiration for many and we are honored to have her as our next guest.

Have you had any prior information about Azerbaijan and Azerbaijani volleyball?

During my career I played lots of times against Azerbaijani clubs, so I knew very well what is the level of volleyball here, and I have to say that in the past two years there was a huge progress.

What were your first impressions of the city?

Baku changed a lot over the last few years. The city center is very beautiful with all the parks around. But Baku at night - with lights going up everywhere - is my favorite.

How did your family react when you told them that you were going to Azerbaijan?

Over the years I have played a lot abroad, so my family had already gotten used to it. And more importantly, they know that I feel very comfortable here and that is what matters for them.

How long did it take you to decide on the offer from Azerbaijan?

After I played for Rabita in the playoff finals last year, I saw that it is a very serious club and that the club is determined to be one of the best in Europe, so I really didn't think for long when they offered me a new contract.

How do you spend your free time in Baku?

Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of free time, but when I do, I usually like to rest with a good book or a movie. I also enjoy spending time with friends.

Is there anyone you credit for helping you to become who you are today?

First of all, it is my family for they supported me in every decision that I made. Also, in my professional career I had 28 different coaches, and I guess they all helped me become who I am today.

Have you already tasted any local dishes?

I love to eat, and I already tried a lot of different dishes. For example, kebab is just great! I am also a big fan of Italian cuisine, and I'm happy that I found a great Italian restaurant here in Baku!

Do you get an extra attention in public?

There are a lot of people in Baky who like Rabita and sometimes they greet me on the street, welcoming to the club. People are very polite and friendly here.

What do you do when you get homesick?

I don't have time to be homesick (smiling). My friends visited me here and I also talk to my family every day, and thanks to Skype we stay in touch!

http://www.azerivolley.com