Blog: Bojana Doganjic - If someone told me four years ago...

• If someone told me four years ago that I would be playing for this long in Azerbaijan, I wouldn't have believed them. But the paths in our lives can be so much different from what we initially expect.

In the beginning, I was a skeptic. The Azeri volleyball league was totally foreign to me. I knew a lot about the National team of Azerbaijan, and about VC Azerrail, the team we played against earlier in the Champions League, but that was about it.

I spoke to my good friend Sanja Starovic, who had been in Baku for a month already. She told me that she was satisfied there, and knowing that really made my decision to come here much easier. Throughout the last three years of my stay in Baku, the level of the national league has risen tremendously. I have witnessed major changes within the clubs and in the organization of the league. The success of the clubs, especially Rabita, in European competitions, have enticed many excellent foreign players to come to Baku. People from all over the world are here. The league boasts a variety of nationalities from Bulgaria, America, Ukraine, Croatia, Thailand, Brazil, Spain, Argentina, Puerto Rico... and of course Serbia! :-)) This array of diversity is something that makes volleyball much better and more interesting. With such strong reinforcement from all around the world, Rabita has managed to keep the leading position, which makes me very happy and proud.

Season 2008/09, was the first step towards making the best results in the history of my club on the European stage. We started playing well in the Challenge Cup. In the next season, 2009/10, we finished third in the Final Four of the CEV cup, which we played in Baku. This season we are playing in the Champions League, while, at the same time, competing in the very strong Azeri League. As we all know, it is always everyone's goal to win against the champions, so it is not easy for us! :-)) That's why management of the club made a team of 13 players, where each player can help the team, while competing at a very high level. VC Rabita has always tried to keep the core of the team that functions well together, and build it up with more experienced players. Also, the important thing for the club was that girls have good character, which makes our everyday hard work much easier.

Besides, the little free time that we have, we spend together discovering some new and pretty places in the city. This year, we have been very lucky, because each free day that we've had was sunny and beautiful. The soft climate of Baku has made us enjoy Baku even more.

Now, we are entering the final stage of this season (2010-11), and it is going to be more exciting than ever! Now the most difficult, but also the most interesting part of the competition for all of us comes. We work very hard to make the best result possible and for sure we will make a great show for all spectators! :-)

At this moment we are facing a very difficult and stressful game against BPS Fakro, a team from Poland. AS ALWAYS, we will need all possible help and support from our wonderful spectators.

To sum things up, I am very glad that I am a part of the growth and development of the Azeri league. I hope that with very careful and organized work, it will continue in its progress of making women's volleyball stronger and stronger in Azerbaijan, which will make it well known all over the world.

I know that three years ago I had some doubts about coming to Azerbaijan, but now, playing with Rabita, has given me an opportunity to fight with and against some of the best players in the world! Which is the biggest wish of every player, and only goes to show that the paths in our lives are so unpredictable, and we should not be afraid to take a challenge.