Germany NT 2012

• After 3 matches... I just think that either Beier/Matthes should be replaced by Burchardt...
    it is very weak for the outside hitters...
    even more obvious when both Grun and Brinker were not performing well on these days...
    both Beier/Matthes couldn't save the team...even made the situation worse :wall: :wall: :wall:

Burchardt are not good at reception but Matthes also had very horrible receptions for the last few matches...

• Germany with 3 games in 45 hours - Wow! Thursday 18:00, Friday 16:00, Today - 13:30......I wish you good luck, hope to see you in London! :thumbup:

Радо Стойчев каза: Мизия, Тракия, Македония! Западните покрайнини - завинаги български!

• Well, the Olympic dream is over ;(

So it's time to think about the future. The only competition left this summer is GP, I expect Tzscherlich and Grün will not play there, they mainly stayed in NT to reach Olympics. I also don't want to see Weiss in the team in GP, it's time to prepare Apitz and Hanke as setters for German team, they have much better perspective to be great setters in near future. It sucks that Sandra Sell and Patricia Grohmann are not at all in GP roster, we need better OH alternatives than Beier and Matthes :thumbdown: I hope Luise Mauersberger will get chances in GP too as Opposite. We have nothing to lose in GP, I don't care if we finish last, we must start thinking about the future now. Most of our players are still young enough to fight the next 4 years to be in Rio OG, but we need more players, not just 7-8 good ones.
    I hope Guidetti will remain coach, even though I'm not always happy with some things he does I don't think we could get a better one...

• Well, the Olympic dream is over ;(

So it's time to think about the future. The only competition left this summer is GP, I expect Tzscherlich and Grün will not play there, they mainly stayed in NT to reach Olympics. I also don't want to see Weiss in the team in GP, it's time to prepare Apitz and Hanke as setters for German team, they have much better perspective to be great setters in near future. It sucks that Sandra Sell and Patricia Grohmann are not at all in GP roster, we need better OH alternatives than Beier and Matthes :thumbdown: I hope Luise Mauersberger will get chances in GP too as Opposite. We have nothing to lose in GP, I don't care if we finish last, we must start thinking about the future now. Most of our players are still young enough to fight the next 4 years to be in Rio OG, but we need more players, not just 7-8 good ones.
    I hope Guidetti will remain coach, even though I'm not always happy with some things he does I don't think we could get a better one...

Grun certainly brought a lot to this German team and while they won't be in the Olympics she sure did give it her best shot after being away from the indoor game for quite some time. Perhaps she won't get the farewell she wanted but she's solidified her importance in the history of German volleyball.

I completely agree about the WP this summer. McCutcheon played a lot of rookies in 2009 when the USA finished 9th and those rookies are among the top players in the American program at the moment (Larson, Akinradewo, Harmotto, Spicer). Germany has got to be able to produce bench players. I'd like to see Guidetti stay but I highly doubt it.

• German Volleyball Federation should have started to think about the future 3 or 4 years ago.

So in your opinion what should have happened?

Honestly I don't think there is much to complain about in the last years. 4th in ECH 2009, 7th in WCH 2010, 2nd in ECH 2011, participation in World Cup for the first time since 20 years or so...and all that with just very few real top class players. The problem is that there simply are no better players in Germany than those we have right now, we just can hope that the young talents will develop into better players. But I don't think with a different coach we could have achieved better results in the last years.

• So in your opinion what should have happened?

Honestly I don't think there is much to complain about in the last years. 4th in ECH 2009, 7th in WCH 2010, 2nd in ECH 2011, participation in World Cup for the first time since 20 years or so...and all that with just very few real top class players. The problem is that there simply are no better players in Germany than those we have right now, we just can hope that the young talents will develop into better players. But I don't think with a different coach we could have achieved better results in the last years.

I totally agree. Germany is a team that undoubtedly got the most out of their abilities over the last few years. There are very few other teams that can say that.

Will Grun retire from NT now?

• Will Grun retire from NT now?

It's too early to say. Next year Germany will host ECH, I can imagine that we will want to play with our best team there including Grün.

Our team has two weeks off now and meets again on 18 May to prepare for WGP. Guidetti says they will analyse the tournament when they have some distance, preparation was difficult because some players were sick or injured and the main team could play only one set together in the preparation matches, but after all, Poland simply was better in all elements today and he ackoledges that.

• ...The problem is that there simply are no better players in Germany than those we have right now, we just can hope that the young talents will develop into better players.

I´m not complaining about what we have reached over the last four years. What i don´t like is, that we are obviously not able to incorporate new, young players in the national team. When it comes to the roster of german NT what has really changed? Basically, it came down to the same players again and again.
    The problem is, that our young players "gain experience" by sitting on the bench. Getting invited to training camps also don´t makes them better players, if they don´t have the chance to play and prove themselves in competition. Like you said, players like Sell, Grohmann and Mauersberger should be in the team. Let them play the friendlies and let them gain experience so that they are ready or at least at a certain level when it comes to important or big tournaments.

Why do we have no better players? I think, it´s because of too many foreign players in the german league. Of course, these players are important, but in my opinion three per team should be enough. This way, the coaches would have been forced to let (young) german players play. Of course, at first the level would have gone down the drain, but this way, our players could have developed into better players, because they would have gain experience by playing and not sitting on the bench. This way we would also have more players to pick from for NT.

• The problem is, that our young players "gain experience" by sitting on the bench. Getting invited to training camps also don´t makes them better players, if they don´t have the chance to play in competition. Like you said, players like Sell, Grohmann and Mauersberger should be in the team. Let them play the friendlies and let them gain experience so that they are ready or at least at a certain level when it comes to important or big tournaments.

Why do we have no better players? I think, it´s because of too many foreign players in the german league. Of course, these players are important, but in my opinion three per team should be enough. This way, the coaches would have been forced to let (young) german players play. Of course, at first the level would have gone down the drain, but this way, our players could have developed into better players, because they would have gain experience by playing and not sitting on the bench. This way we would also have more players to pick from for NT.

I agree about the first part, but it's also a question of money...WGP gives points for world ranking, so it's difficult to play there with young players. In 2008 Guidetti did it, Hanke and Möllers were our setters then and also Berit Kauffeldt was already in the team back then, it was even before the Junior team became World Champ. It would be good if Germany could play in European League, that would be the best opportunity to let new players gain experience, but obviously our federation does not have enough money for both GP and EL.

About the 2nd part I disagree. In the last years some good foreign players improved the level of our league a lot, but most teams also have (young) German players in their teams anyway, so no need to make an official limit. It's also good that German players don't only play because they must be on court because of the limit, but that they have to fight in training to get their place in first team, because that will also make them better players and make them give 100% all the time.

• I think that Guidetti works very well with young players. It's not a problem of GER. The problem is lack of good players. In last years they achieved more that they could :!: And this is because of Guidetti. He created this team by inviting Brinker, Ssuschke, Beier, Weiss etc to NT. They were quite young when they started to play in starting six. Guideti trusted them a lot and it paid off. Now GER NT is still young and there is no need to make some generation change...

Polish TV commentator said that GER NT is like compressed lemon. They are playing very good but they simply can't be better.

Thanks to Grun's comeback they could achieve higer level. In this tournament she didn't play so good as last year. In general GER NT used to be rather poor at the beginning of the season. I think it's connected with Guidetti system of work (which maybe demands more trainings). Before that tournament he didn't have so much time :!:

• I agree about the first part, but it's also a question of money...WGP gives points for world ranking, so it's difficult to play there with young players. In 2008 Guidetti did it, Hanke and Möllers were our setters then and also Berit Kauffeldt was already in the team back then, it was even before the Junior team became World Champ. It would be good if Germany could play in European League, that would be the best opportunity to let new players gain experience, but obviously our federation does not have enough money for both GP and EL.

About the 2nd part I disagree. In the last years some good foreign players improved the level of our league a lot, but most teams also have (young) German players in their teams anyway, so no need to make an official limit. It's also good that German players don't only play because they must be on court because of the limit, but that they have to fight in training to get their place in first team, because that will also make them better players and make them give 100% all the time.

Of course, it is difficult to play WGP with young players. But that´s not what i mean. We need to have young players play in preparation and friendlies so they can reach a certain level. Because what would happen, if one or more experienced players are not able to play, because - for example - of an injury? We would have nobody to pick from, because our young players wouldn´t have get a chance to get better by being given the opportunity to play on a regular basis and that way be ready for competitions like WGP.

There is no doubt, that some good foreign players improved the level of our league a lot, but i´m afraid that this could lead to a point, where coaches/clubs would only want to play with foreign players or at least more foreign than german players, because that way they will win more titles and therefore more money.
    Even if you always give 100% in training, but only have a few opportunities to play, you eventually come to a point where you no longer have fun to play. And then, there will also be no fight in training to get a place in first team.

• I think that Guidetti works very well with young players. It's not a problem of GER. The problem is lack of good players. In last years they achieved more that they could :!: And this is because of Guidetti. He created this team by inviting Brinker, Ssuschke, Beier, Weiss etc to NT. They were quite young when they started to play in starting six. Guideti trusted them a lot and it paid off. Now GER NT is still young and there is no need to make some generation change...

Polish TV commentator said that GER NT is like compressed lemon. They are playing very good but they simply can't be better.

Thanks to Grun's comeback they could achieve higer level. In this tournament she didn't play so good as last year. In general GER NT used to be rather poor at the beginning of the season. I think it's connected with Guidetti system of work (which maybe demands more trainings). Before that tournament he didn't have so much time :!:

I agree with oyu...Germany improved a lot thanks to Guidetti and also Grun's comeback gave them a lot of improvements..anyway now Grun is not playing so good (maybe blocks and defenses started to take better measures on her, and she is tired after the season) so german's level dropped! I'm very sorry for them as they are so nice and positive girls! I think that the greatest priority is to find a young OH that can substitute Grun in the future...and it can't be Beier or Matthes I think as they don't guarantee the same level of performance and Germany would be back again as they were before Grun's comeback!

• As a Turk, I'm so sorry for German team. Compared to previous matches the defense of the team didn't work yesterday hence, German blocks were weak. Poland took cheap points and their atack rate was much more higher than the Germany. I'm not an expert on volleyball but in my opinion the reason behind this loss was miss concentration like match against Turkey. Watching tears of those beautiful and talented players was the worst thing about the match.. Anyway, every single lost is a new beginning and brings new success. Thanks for showing the German volleyball; watching all of these great players especially Apitz's ambition was really fun. IMO Apitz is better than Weiss.

Btw, I took an autograpgh from Apitz. She became my one of the favorite player.

• There is no doubt, that some good foreign players improved the level of our league a lot, but i´m afraid that this could lead to a point, where coaches/clubs would only want to play with foreign players or at least more foreign than german players, because that way they will win more titles and therefore more money.
    Even if you always give 100% in training, but only have a few opportunities to play, you eventually come to a point where you no longer have fun to play. And then, there will also be no fight in training to get a place in first team.

Look at the top 4 of German league last season: Schwerin and Dresden both usually played with 2 foreigners in first 7, Münster with 3 and Vilsbiburg with 4. So the best German players definitely are main players in their clubs, and players who can't even be main players in their clubs (apart from young players of course) are very unlikely to ever be good players in NT. Let me take Sarah Petrausch as example, I know that you know and like her and I certainly don't want to be rude, but she is the best example. She was the biggest talent in Germany 3 years ago, she went to a good club, I know that she had many problems with injuries, but if she can't even start as OH over Myrthe Schoot who is usually a libero or over Lina Meyer who spent many years in weak teams, how could she ever be an option for NT? Certainly not just by playing more matches...or also Saskia Hippe, she always played in Dresden, and her level was OK for German league, but she never really improved. Or Kristin Kasperski, when she first went to Münster Axel Büring said his goal is to make her good enough for NT, but after one season as starter it became obvious that she won't make it, so Münster got Lonneke Sloetjes instead and improved from 8th to 4th rank just because of that one player change.
    The other thing you mention is a problem of coaches. Of course it is bad when coaches never give players enough chances even if they fight for it, but still I don't think forcing coaches to let players play just because they are German and not because they are good is the wrong solution. Again, look at Schwerin, they bought a Norwegian MB, but Berit Kauffeldt and Anja Brandt were better, so they played. Basically I think when clubs buy foreigners they should be good enough to play in the main team, places on the bench might as well be taken by more German talents rather than by mediocre foreigners.