Russian NT 2012

• Yay, she'll be back and then three days before the Olympics she'll change her mind again and they will all start begging her to come back and she will, and then on the day of the first game she'll say she can't play and walk out.

I'm starting to think we won't see the day she finally goes away forever.

• Tatiana Kosheleva went back from Germany 28th june so she´s finished with her rehab at least.

She won't participate in Yelstin Cup right? anyway, what do you think of this rumored return of Sokolova to the team?

• She won't participate in Yelstin Cup right? anyway, what do you think of this rumored return of Sokolova to the team?

Nope, she will not...about Sokolova, I think likely she really wants to come back, but then its up to the coaches to decide, likely some in the staff/team will complain since she has not been with the team since 10th june when they started the olympics preperation training, which was the rules to participate. So its not really fair for the other players who have been training hard together and learned combinations and followed the rules etc, to act like that so im not 100% sure they will forgive her this time. Its similar to the "Parable of the prodigal son" in the bible acctually, which is about if its right to forgive somebody and give him just the same things as somebody who have been loyal and worked hard, just because the person suddenly regret his mind? Somebody might say "forgive her because its Sokolova" but how fair is that for her team members who would have been banned from the squad if they done the same thing?

I like Sokolova but obviously this is not good acted by her, its impossible to say something else.

• If Sokolova really changed her mind that late, this is very unprofessional for such world class player :down: First she walks out on team and now she thinks that they will let her in again :mad: Even if Russia would win gold medal in OG when Sokolova is accepted to team, I wouldn't let her join team. It would be really disrespectful behaviour to other Russian players who work hard for months while 'drama queen' enjoying summer :mad:

• Nope, she will not...about Sokolova, I think likely she really wants to come back, but then its up to the coaches to decide, likely some in the staff/team will complain since she has not been with the team since 10th june when they started the olympics preperation training, which was the rules to participate. So its not really fair for the other players who have been training hard together and learned combinations and followed the rules etc, to act like that so im not 100% sure they will forgive her this time. Its similar to the "Parable of the prodigal son" in the bible acctually, which is about if its right to forgive somebody and give him just the same things as somebody who have been loyal and worked hard, just because the person suddenly regret his mind? Somebody might say "forgive her because its Sokolova" but how fair is that for her team members who would have been banned from the squad if they done the same thing?

I like Sokolova but obviously this is not good acted by her, its impossible to say something else.

I've read from Volleyrussia that the door for Sokolova in NT is always open for her. although I can imagine that some players will not like it, particularly Kosheleva, Estes and Makhno. It's unfair to them and they could feel they've been robbed of their position and that could cause tension again. If you ask me, it's a hard decision for Ovchinnikov to make. Yes, everyone knows Liuba is world-class player and highly important for Russia but what good is that when it means destroying the team's harmony? I think at this point, teams have already worked on their teamplay by at least 50% and if changes are made to that this late, it could ruin things. Two scenarios I have in mind: 1. Liuba did not participate in OG. Russia lacked firepower and reception is bad. Coach regrets not calling her. 2. Coach decided to accept her. That caused tension in team and in OG, morale is at an all-time low and the team is not playing. Coach regret calling her.

Really tough decision IMO and with possible catastrophic results either way. But right now, Kosheleva could be the key to Russia's success. If she makes full recovery before OG, if she improves her reception and eat her nerves, Russia could still have its chances even without Liuba :)

• i think the players will accept here for the sake of the team(nationalism)..but you know i think there will be a gap...
    i'm not sure but i think also Gamova and Artamonova understand her because they've been together for a long long time..
    and what's the use that Sokolova of Included in the expanded list if in the end they will not accept her?!....

• Sokolova will be arriving to Russia tomorrow. So her return to the team is final. Maybe the coach will try Estes for the Yeltsin, just to see if the team will perform well against Italy and Brazil. If not, I think Sokolova should get her position back. I really hope Gamova, Sokolova, Estes and Obmochaeva gain their top form. Only Russia or maybe Italy has the change to defeat USA.

• I was sure Sokolova would be back!

Ze Roberto once said he had a joke talk with Sokolova. Here what he said:

I was saying: "don't go to the OG, stay at home taking care of your son, you already have two gold medals in world championships."
    But she aswered: "but I don't have a olympic gold medal. Would you like to exchange with me?". And he said: "No way."
    ^^

The OG gold medal is every athlete dream. But at the same time it's not fair with the others players...

Well, let's see how they gonna react.

I would be pissed off.

• I want to see Sokolova with a gold medal, but also Tom.

It's no fair! ;(

• ouba is really important for the and i don't think that there will be tensions between here gamova and artamonova.
    coz they ve been playing for a long time together so this just a fan's idea. about ollympics it's really important to russia to have a good reception if they want to play the first role, and without liouba in the court reception and deffense of russia is poor. add to that here versatylity gave this last 4 years russia better offense solutions, so i won't be surprised to see here on the court again as universal while gamova and estes will play outside.
    about makhno i'm sorry but here level isn't so good to put russia on top for olympics, so that coach will certainlly think about results and forget confusion situations, and liouba had alwys some problemes with the russia federation and coaches, but she is a key in the team and most of players love to have here on the court coz she gives them confidense <this what most players told me on 2008 olympics and 2010 world championship.

• about comparaison between liouba and artamonova my oppinion is that in reception and deffense liouba is better then artamonova she became one of the best in the world between 2002 and now,
    in blocking liouba is also better more agressif and even here stats say the same.
    the attack is different artamonova is more powerfull in position 4 she just finds impressive angles and has more height. liouba is more versatyle and she really made an evolution to the russian game with here slide, pipes and here attacks on position 2 are just amaizing and she knows how to use off the block. artamonova has here style with all the power of russian game.
    the serving of liouba is more powerfull then artamonova ,

so both of the are important, in my oppinion liouba is the key of russia since 1998. and they still need here and i really don't think they won't fine another universal player like here.
    so hope to see both of them add gamova

• Short interview with Sokolova in sport-express

You were on roster for the tournament, but you weren't given an opportunity to play a match. Tomorrow's Russian NT game with Italians will decide the destiny of a title of Yeltsin Cup. Will we see you on court in this game?

- No, I won't play in this tournament .

- It upsets you?

- Any athlete wants to be useful to team, to play. Theoretically I can go out on court, but is it necessary to risk? I didn't train nearly a month. Naturally, the head coach doesn't want to risk, and I perfectly understand, why he doesn't allows me to play this games.

- After Yekaterinburg, literally tomorrow evening, the national team departs at first to Moscow, and then to Italy, for the Edison Alassio Cup tournament.

- I'll fly to Italy too. I hope, I can play exactly there - on tournament in Alassio. For me it is the familiar tournament, a familiar hall.

- Two years ago, on the eve of the World CH, if I am not mistaken, exactly there you've played the first match of a season for the national team.

- Yes, it is true. In Yekaterinburg we worked together with Tanya Kosheleva by our own plan.

- You officially said goodbye to "Fenerbahçe", yet didn't find new club. There is information that the Istanbul club insists on payment by you or your new club a certain compensation at a rate of at least 70 percent from the last contract.

- I have legal proceedings with "Fener". Filed documents to FIVB, I ask to understand my situation. New club, I believe, I will find, but for now I am a player without the contract.

• about comparaison between liouba and artamonova my oppinion is that in reception and deffense liouba is better then artamonova she became one of the best in the world between 2002 and now,
    in blocking liouba is also better more agressif and even here stats say the same.
    the attack is different artamonova is more powerfull in position 4 she just finds impressive angles and has more height. liouba is more versatyle and she really made an evolution to the russian game with here slide, pipes and here attacks on position 2 are just amaizing and she knows how to use off the block. artamonova has here style with all the power of russian game.
    the serving of liouba is more powerfull then artamonova ,

so both of the are important, in my oppinion liouba is the key of russia since 1998. and they still need here and i really don't think they won't fine another universal player like here.
    so hope to see both of them add gamova

Russia's top3 stars:gamova,sokolova,estes we chinese fans have made a stats rollup for the three players.the stats rollup inlude OG WC EC WGC and some years' WGP.during 1996-2000 when zhenya and louba both in nt ,the stats of this period unable to clearly define the difference between two players' reception.
    both two players' serving peak period is not too long,but their serving both have been brilliant,get best spiker award.and then the two' serving all flop in the stats rank.
    but there is noTournaments stats even one show sokolova ranked before artamonova-estes in defense and block rank top10 lists. :aww:

estes's entire career, rest less particular during 2000-2003,those years the russian newspaper reporter's word "no artamonova, no russia" just came ture , and she is older .

• I agree with Marshmellow, I hope she choose to not play because she can get hurt and she cant get in good shape in so short time either, at least most likely not better than Goncharova anyway, who is in super shape. Its very sad for her, but she´s only 23 and im sure she will come back later in OG, and then it will be more important than now anyway probably.

• I think so too...remember that already for OQT in Japan she tried to come back but had to understand after some days that she isn't ready yet, so for OG it would also be fair to leave the spot to a healthy player who can help the team, even though I'm really sorry that Kosheleva can't recover in time.

• This fact doesnt affect russia so much the roster is already enough for an achievement in OG 2012

Yepp, I liked how they played in Ekaterinburg last week, and when they charge Estes with Sokolova, it will be even stronger. I think its the strongest possible line-up then, with one exception that Morozova is out, which is a significant setback IMO. She is a very underrated player I think, esp. her value for Russian NT since she is their best blocker and also has very nice slide attacks, better than the others I think.