Ekaterina Gamova
    Natalia Goncharova
    Eugene Estes
    Lesya Makhno
    Yana Scherban

Liberos:
    Svetlana Kryuchkova
    Ekaterina Ulanova

Great to see Scherban back in the team :)

• I don't understand why Ovchinnikov takes 3 setters with him all the time when one is worse than the other :aww: After watching Russia in Ankara I really think Sheshenina could not possibly be any worse than Startseva and especially Akulova!

• I don't understand why Ovchinnikov takes 3 setters with him all the time when one is worse than the other :aww: After watching Russia in Ankara I really think Sheshenina could not possibly be any worse than Startseva and especially Akulova!

It is weird indeed!

• Remember than Matienko doesn't play good either. I wonder why Babeshina isn't or couldn't be with team. Any suggestions?

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• Remember than Matienko doesn't play good either. I wonder why Babeshina isn't or couldn't be with team. Any suggestions?

This is just my guess, but I have feeling Ovchinnikov is kinda biased to Dinamo Moscow players. He preferred Merkulova and Perepelkina to Moroz (although I understood now why he choose Merkulova), Kryuchkova over Ulanova, Matienko over Babeshina.

Meanwhile, great to see Scherban and Moroz in the roster. :thumbsup: Still no Babeshina though. :pinch:

• Sometimes I think Sheshenina has the "problem" of being a Karpol setter, so everyone tends to think she can only set high balls and has no own brain during the game. As I already said sometimes, I think last season in Kazan she showed that she is also capable of playing a faster and more varied game, so I really think she should deserve a chance in NT.

• Noone remember that during 2004 Athens Final versus China in first two sets She played fast ball but after 3rd lost set Karpol ordered Her to play high balls and He destroyed Russia's game.

• Sometimes I think Sheshenina has the "problem" of being a Karpol setter, so everyone tends to think she can only set high balls and has no own brain during the game. As I already said sometimes, I think last season in Kazan she showed that she is also capable of playing a faster and more varied game, so I really think she should deserve a chance in NT.

I have the same opinion.
    But I don't think Startseva is bad setter, she did well in 2010. Now I've seen her a little bit nervous.

• I have the same opinion.
    But I don't think Startseva is bad setter, she did well in 2010. Now I've seen her a little bit nervous.

Akulova also looked good in 2006, but with hindsight it was mainly because her big hitters Godina, Gamova and Sokolova all were in great shape, so it's not too hard for a setter to look good. And right now I think Startseva had the same advantage in 2010...I know she just returned from injury break, so it's normal that she is not in best shape, but usually setters are less affected by that than attackers and it doesn't fully explain her performance in Ankara. She just had two types of sets there: high ball to 4 and ball to Gamova wherever she was. Her plays with MBs were seldom, predictable and often with mediocre quality...I hope she can play better soon, but in the end, I'm afraid she is just another Russian setter :|

• I remember in athens olympics, the Middles have a good contribution to the team's attacks. But after that, the MBs are in the game just for blocking. I'm missing the slide attacks from Tishchenko ang Tebenikhina.

• I remember in athens olympics, the Middles have a good contribution to the team's attacks. But after that, the MBs are in the game just for blocking. I'm missing the slide attacks from Tishchenko ang Tebenikhina.

Are you sure? If I remember well middles attacked very seldom in Athens 2004 :!: Tischechnko was after the injury and she didn't contribute as much as always. Only in the final match Tebenikhina scored a lot of points but it was only one match.

• Akulova also looked good in 2006, but with hindsight it was mainly because her big hitters Godina, Gamova and Sokolova all were in great shape, so it's not too hard for a setter to look good. And right now I think Startseva had the same advantage in 2010...I know she just returned from injury break, so it's normal that she is not in best shape, but usually setters are less affected by that than attackers and it doesn't fully explain her performance in Ankara. She just had two types of sets there: high ball to 4 and ball to Gamova wherever she was. Her plays with MBs were seldom, predictable and often with mediocre quality...I hope she can play better soon, but in the end, I'm afraid she is just another Russian setter :|

But what about if your other options (Kosheleva, Goncharova, Borisenko) are not making points?
    She just have two options: Gamova and Sokolova. She didn't play with Perepelkina but we don't know if it was because she wanted it or it was an order by Russian NT coach.
    Long ago Russia NT doesn't play with MB.

• Are you sure? If I remember well middles attacked very seldom in Athens 2004 :!: Tischechnko was after the injury and she didn't contribute as much as always. Only in the final match Tebenikhina scored a lot of points but it was only one match.

If you watch Russia vs US in athens, Tebenikhina was also contributing some points to attack. Of course I'm not talking about getting many balls like Gioli does in Italian team.

• If you watch Russia vs US in athens, Tebenikhina was also contributing some points to attack. Of course I'm not talking about getting many balls like Gioli does in Italian team.

It was 5 set match and she had 7/13 in attack. For me it's rather average result:) Gamova atacked 45 times and Sokolova 61 in this match :!:
    OK, it's not so important now. I was surprised what you wrote because it was really visible for me how rarely Sheshina played with MB in Athens :!:

• It was 5 set match and she had 7/13 in attack. For me it's rather average result:) Gamova atacked 45 times and Sokolova 61 in this match :!:
    OK, it's not so important now. I was surprised what you wrote because it was really visible for me how rarely Sheshina played with MB in Athens :!:

But Sheshenina was just 19 when she played in Athens...so it's normal that she does not have the nerves to use MBs in difficult moments. I remember quarterfinal vs Korea, first two sets Russia won very easy just with high balls, in 3rd set Sheshenina started using MBs very often but it didn't work, Karpol shouted at her, she still continued and Korea took the lead, he took her out, she sat beside him crying hard, then she returned and played only high balls and Russia won eventually 3rd set too. So it's not too surprising that she did not use MBs so often then, but for example last season in Kazan I think she did a good job with Borisenko and Moroz...

• But Sheshenina was just 19 when she played in Athens...so it's normal that she does not have the nerves to use MBs in difficult moments. I remember quarterfinal vs Korea, first two sets Russia won very easy just with high balls, in 3rd set Sheshenina started using MBs very often but it didn't work, Karpol shouted at her, she still continued and Korea took the lead, he took her out, she sat beside him crying hard, then she returned and played only high balls and Russia won eventually 3rd set too. So it's not too surprising that she did not use MBs so often then, but for example last season in Kazan I think she did a good job with Borisenko and Moroz...

I have nothing against her. In fact I appreciate the fact she managed to win silver as 19 old setter (in starting six) :!: And I'm sure that she didn't play with middles only because of Karpol's tactics.

I think she deserved to play in London. I don't know why she is out now...