USA NT 2012

• Sisters in volleyball

Stacy Sykora was born in Fort Worth in 1977. Four year later, Logan Tom entered the world in Napa, Calif.

Though the two didn't meet for many years, they have become sisters through USA Volleyball.

When Sykora, a former standout at Burleson High School and All-American at Texas A&M, suffered severe injuries in a bus accident in Brazil in April 2011, Tom had to help.

Tom was in China at the time, but she caught the first plane to Brazil.

"I knew her family was out there, and I knew they were by themselves," Tom said.

Sykora's memory is blank for about three weeks around her accident; she was in a medically induced coma because of swelling in her brain. During that time, Tom aided Sykora while the Texan relearned basic motor skills.

"You go from one second doing the sport at the highest level of anyone in the world, and the next second you can't see," Tom said at the Team USA Media Summit. "You wake up and have a big scar on your head and have your head shaved. I can't even relate."

Tom gets emotional talking about Sykora, her proclaimed sister. Sykora is back in the gym, where she is trying to reclaim the lightning-quick reflexes that made her a world-class libero who stabilized Team USA's defense in three Olympic Games.

"My biggest thing with Stacy is, I just want her to have patience with herself," Tom said. "It's unbelievable how hard she's working, where she's come back from. And she's still in the gym every day, even though it's hard for her at times."

Tom will do anything she can for Sykora, her longtime teammate and friend.

"I grew up pretty much with Stacy," Tom said. "She was there for Sydney, for Athens and for Beijing. She is pretty much my family."

The 12-member U.S. roster will be announced before July 2. Sykora called her chances of making her fourth Olympic Games slim.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2…orward.html#storylink=cpy

• Even after more than a year, Logan gets all choked up when it comes to Stacy. ^^

They have been thru a lot together. ;)

People know that Logan went to Brazil, but Logan didn't just visit Stacy, she was there for days.. she watched over Stacy in the hospital, and kept Stacy's family company in a foreign country with a foreign language, and helped Stacy take her first bath after the coma (Stacy got her mom and Logan drenched in the process), and Logan saw firsthand as Stacy relearned to do the basic things.

And of course Stacy's mind was busy healing during that time, so Stacy doesn't remember much of those first few days. But she remembers things starting April 23. :)

On the wet night of April 12, 2011, Sykora was sitting on a teammate's lap, the pair sharing the headphones to her iPhone, as Volei Futuro's bus approached an arena outside Sao Paulo. Sykora and her teammate, Clarisse, were listening to one of Sykora's favorite songs when the bus overturned only a few meters from the arena.

Sometimes, it's the little things... Like the reason Stacy was sitting on a teammate's lap was because there weren't enough seats on the bus and Stacy offered her seat to someone else. And maybe if she hadn't, then she would be all fine today. But that's just the kind of teammate Stacy is. :rose:

• I will be very happy if Stacy makes it on USA's London roster. Her passion and contribution to USA volleyball has been enormous.

"[size=8]It's years and years of work and sacrifice and dedication. Along with a lot of these girls, we've sweat and we've bled and we've cried together in past Olympics. It just brought tears to my eyes, & I'm more than thrilled. This will be forever." -LOGAN MAILE LEI TOM (Silver Medallist - 2008 Beijing & 2012 London Olympic Games, 2011 World Cup runner up, 2003 & 2007 World Cup 3rd place, 2002 World Champs runner up, 4-time World GrandPrix Champs)

• I didn't know all those things, marshmellow. Thanks for sharing :thumbup:

• As I was watching some of USA's matches the last 2 years over on youtube, I've realized the Akinradewo's attacking capability hasn't been fully utilized....As being one of most dominant MBs that has ever played in US NCAA. To me, theres a bit of a problem with her connection to Berg. I think she will be the key for USA if they want to medal in London. Berg, Hooker, Bown and Tom will always deliver. But Akinradewo needs to step it up and reach her full potential.

"[size=8]It's years and years of work and sacrifice and dedication. Along with a lot of these girls, we've sweat and we've bled and we've cried together in past Olympics. It just brought tears to my eyes, & I'm more than thrilled. This will be forever." -LOGAN MAILE LEI TOM (Silver Medallist - 2008 Beijing & 2012 London Olympic Games, 2011 World Cup runner up, 2003 & 2007 World Cup 3rd place, 2002 World Champs runner up, 4-time World GrandPrix Champs)

• Actually, Im sorry but the second part is not true. There WERE enough seats in the bus! What happened is that they were just playing, listening to music, that is why Stacy was in her teammate lap. No one would imagine something like that would happen in the middle of the city. so like everyone does in tour bus they were just relaxed inside of it. Unfortunetly we all know what happened then.

• Actually, Im sorry but the second part is not true. There WERE enough seats in the bus! What happened is that they were just playing, listening to music, that is why Stacy was in her teammate lap. No one would imagine something like that would happen in the middle of the city. so like everyone does in tour bus they were just relaxed inside of it. Unfortunetly we all know what happened then.

The words I put here are from Stacy Sykora's words and she specifically said she gave her seat to someone. It is possible that Stacy's recollection of events is faulty, but to the best of my abilities, I share things in good faith. :)

• The words I put here are from Stacy Sykora's words and she specifically said she gave her seat to someone. It is possible that Stacy's recollection of events is faulty, but to the best of my abilities, I share things in good faith. :)

Yeah Stacy did give her seat to someone else, but not cause there were not enough seats, cause they were just relaxed and moving in the bus..at least this is what came out in all brasilian press at the time ;) Anyway, that is not important..hehe

• Yeah Stacy did give her seat to someone else, but not cause there were not enough seats, cause they were just relaxed and moving in the bus..at least this is what came out in all brasilian press at the time ;) Anyway, that is not important..hehe

Thanks, dear. I understand what you're saying now. I just recall Stacy saying that one of her teammates was standing because they didn't have seats so Stacy offered her seat and just sat on her teammate's lap and listened to music.

You're right that it doesn't matter now. Life is just so random that little things can change everything. :)

• Today's Logan Tom birthday... Happy Birthday Logan :drink:

very big cat you :P

Here we used to call her "Vur vur kafasına kafasına çivi gibi çivi gibi Tom Tom Tom" :D :super:

"Lo sbaglio più grande e quello di credere di aver vinto prima ancora di giocare la partita"

• I don't know how to translate it :D and I don't think anybody can help you with that :D

its rarely spelling rhyme twister

"Hit hit, to the head to the head, like a nail like a nail, Tak Tak Tak" its too stupid in English :rolll: :rolll: :rolll: Tak is reflection sound of hitting and looks similiar with Tom's name

but im not sure that you might be understand this :dance4: