"Pátria" (Brazilian documentary about 1996 Bronze Medal)

• Translation:

Mireya: “Because my most brilliant moments, I believe it was there. In many places you know? But to me the brazilian crowd, even If in some moment I said that I didnt agree with some attitudes right, the brazilian supporters are patriots, as you were saying or as is going to be called this documentary. Because they really fell what they do, and the brazilians and us we put our names, our continent, our families very high”.

Pátria (Homeland)

Virna: (1:42) “The rivalry from the players dont exist anymore, cause these players didnt live that, they have no clue how it was, how it used to be and how was to play against Cuba in that time, but the public makes this rivalry, the world keeps this rivalry.”

Atlanta 1996 – OG Semifinal

Marcia Fu: (2:03) “Wow I was so pretty, so thin! No butt, what a situation. Aiai, we could really come back in this time right? To this game, to that day. In this day, we could come back in this day right.” (Marcia Fu comments as always are the best, she is so funny..hehe)

Ana Moser: (3:04) “It was a despair, the first couple of days were a despair, cause there was no doctor, besides the one that operated me, that said that I was going to play again in time for the Olympic Games or even that I would come back playing at all. Cause a twisted the good knee and I had to make the reconstruction of the cruciate ligament and make the recovery using the bad knee”.

Carvajal: (3:53) “Do you see why Ana Moser is so good? Because I was not there in the net, I was in the backcourt. So of course she scores.”

Virna: (4:09) “This one was cocky, men I used to have a hage for her. If you see her today , you do not recognize, she is huge.”

Ana Moser: (4:18 ) “Already screeming in the face, you see? And she was the nicest one, Carvajal, but It was a strategy.”

Carvajal: (4:32) “We use to really get along with the brazilians. Really well. And to be honest with you, I dont know how it started the fightings ith Brazil.”

Mireya: (4:43) “We used to say to Fernanda: Fernanda buy some shoes for us, the ones that had big feet, and Fernanda took the shoes for us. And we used to go to their rooms, talked, played cards. It was a beautiful friendship, very very beautiful.”

Ida: (4:57) “And we used to feel sorry for them, cause they didnt have the stuff, so when they come to Brasil, I took Mireya and many of them a thousand times to the market, and I used to say, buy shampoo, toothpaste...they went there and bought all these stuff and I didnt let them not even pay. They used to ask us to take them there and at the end we were the ones that paid for them”.

Shanguai 1994 – Grand Prix – Final Phase (Two years early)

Fernanda: (5:33) “We only lost, lost, lost, and then in the moment we started winning, It was when they started to get nervous, and to have the fights and so on, cause till that time, when they used to win easy against us you know, there was no problem, we were little friends.”

Carvajal: (5:47) “No way. When they beat us in the World Grand Prix, Marcia Fu told me really ugly things, that hurt me so much.”

Marcia Fu: (5:55) “And The Grand Prix is a tournament that has money involved. And that was a money that Cuba always used to get. A little part stayed with Fidel and they automaticly recieved also a little bit. They got really pissed that we had won the Grand Prix.”

Ida: (6:14) “And they already came in the net talking to Ana and was going to have the World Championship in Brazil, and they came saying in Brazil we are the ones that are going to win.”

Ana Paula: (6:22) “And Bernardo kind of (she makes the sign of cut), no more cigars, no more sneakers, let’s not buy anything, they use to bring “regalo”, regalo” (gifts)...”

Mireya: (6:32) “And I think that Bernardinho, Bernardo in 1994 World Championship searched for this distance, because we arrived to the championship and they suddenly did not greet us, none of them. And we used to say: “What happened to our friends?””.

Marcia Fu: (6:47) “So we started to stop being so much friends, also cause they kind of abandoned us a little bit, you know. They started to not greet, to not talk currently, so I said, you know what, Its fine for me, want to say hello is a favor, dont want to are two, I really dont care.”

São Paulo 1994, World Championship Final

Regla Bell: (7:08 ) “When they started to say things to us, close to the net, it was the worse. It was like to motivate this temper of ours. Like, ah ok, so pay attention, that you will see what is going to happen.”

Mireya: (7:22) “At night we put the curlers in our head, so we wont give Brasil the taste of seeing us, that they dont tousle our hairs. That we get in Cuba with our hairs made.”

Carvajal: (8:04) “It was not curlers actually, It was the hair stucked with bobby pin, cause after the game we were going straight to Cuba and there they were going to recieve us. And of course there was no time to get ready, to put some make up, taht is why I decided to play with the hair like that.”

Marcia Fu: (8:18 ) “Do you imagine our faces, in our home loosing to some girls with hair curlers in the head, the humiliation?”

• Atlanta 1996 – Premilinary Phase (A year and a half later)

Ana Paula: (8:55) “We went there with the schedule pretty much designed. We will win against Cuba in the preliminar phase, we were absolute sure about that, we will beat Cuba in our pool, Cuba will fall for the second in the pool, would drop into the other semifinal, and we will face Cuba in the final again. But then Cuba lost.”

Ana Paula: (9:25) “Cuba lost against Russia, that was something the usually would not happen, and end up facing against us previously than we imagined.”

Carvajal: (9:33) “Of course, after we have lost two matches, in Cuba people got worried, because everyone was use to see us winning, winning, winning, and seems Fidel called Eugenio and aksed what was going on, why we were loosing.”

Atlanta 1996 – Semifinal (1ºset)

Mireya: (10:09) “Are you not embaressed? Cause definetly our leader is watching, cause there is broadcast to Cuba. The commander is definetly seated in front of tv, watching you loose to this teams with no level. In this time you think, but If Im the best, how will I loose and my people watching?”

Ana Paula: (10:20) “Big money awarding..that was it, Cuba used to win..and used to win best player, 20 thousand dollars, It was Mireya, best another thing, It was Bell, best another thing and it was Torres, they used to win a lot of money, but nothing stayed with them.”

Torres: (10:41) “These money, many times, went for our spendings with travels, or for an important competition, like a World Championship from, for an example, table tennis, or for some junior team ours that did not win money in competitions. So, we used to help somehow the sports development in our country. And that is ok.”

2º set

(images of the match only)

3º set

Mireya: (11:30) “Brasil was strong, had won all games so far and we would have to face against each other to go for the gold medal. And that was went came to me the strategy to insult the brazilians. They asked me, Mireya, but how to offend? Lets insult them, lets say any kind of things, whatever we want, the worse things we can say to a woman, lets say to them.”motherfu***” we said...and Marcia answered motherfuc** is you..and what else we used to say...we also used to say lesbians! Everything, everything!”

Ana Moser: (12:13) “They made us crazy with them. They made us crazy with them. I dont know why, maybe cause of the history before..I dont know.”

Mireya: (12:20) “When, for example, Fernanda did the codes, we used to say, Fernanda put this codes in your ass.”

Fernanda: (12:27) “(angry) You know, they looking at you. When they use to make a block, they shouted. They were really disrespectful you know.”

Ana Paula: (12:38 ) “We used to try our best not to give importance to that, but I wont say we were saints, I won’t.”

Virna: (12:43) “In this game in particular, they achieved it what they wanted, some of our players made mistakes in some moments cause they were wanting to much to get it right you know.”

Carvajal: (12:53) “I took the chance, to say things, and since Ana Moser was my responsability and was the strongest one, I took the advantage and use to say things to her. And she did get mad cause I said those things. And I also used to spat in some of them. Yes.”

Torres: (13:14) “I miss those games. I miss it. I think no one play this kind of volleyball anymore, with this hot temper. It’s not like that anymore. I dont know why.”

Ana Paula: (13:23) “But we knew it, we knew it that the semifinal against Cuba was the Olympic Final. They knew it, we knew it, the press knew it, everyone knew it.”

4º set

Mireya: (14:45) “Are you going to atack, here target here.” (showing her private parts)

Ida: (15:00) When I got inside It was 7-2, the difference was to big already.”

Virna: (16:19) “How much is this?”

Mireya: (16:20) “10-10. When much this set finished?”

Carvajal: (16:24) “10 equal cause they still didnt put one ball to me. Let’s see now. Suc* it.”

Ana Paula: (16:50) “They were inconsistents, we could just not make a mistake.”

Ana Moser: (17:05) “It was really a chess game. It was so difficult.”

(Playes watching the match...)

Tie-break

Marcia Fu: (18:56) “Makes me wanna curse..stupid! (talking about herself..hehe)..It was my fault.”

Virna: (19:26) “Fu played so well this game. In the tie-break I remember she made two mistakes. She didnt forgive herself just after the game.”

Marcia Fu: (19:56) “Out, wow that was a miracle that she hit that ball out (laughting).This pest! This woman was a pest, I wanted to split her in two so angry I was with her.”

Torres: (20:10) “We even talked about it. After a while that we were not playing anymore. Where is Marcia Fu that we never saw her again? After the game in 1996 seems she didnt want to play anymore.”

Ana Moser: (21:40) “So ended you know. It was a shock..It’s over. And they kept shouting. And I just saw Regla Bell in front of me. And she was still screaming. So I went to the net and said that is enough. It was till now, Its enough, you already won, its enough. I pulled Bell’s shirt and requested respect. And then I didnt see anything else, I didnt know what was happening, I was only there saying “Respect, Respect, Respect’, like a broken victrola. Taht was the only thing that came out.”

Marcia Fu: (22:14) “Ah, I hit in the middle of the court. It was a mess in the middle of the court, in the changing room, the the changing room Torres kicked Ana Paula, It was a mess there too. All that was a circus. It was definetly a circus. I dont remember where I hit, wh I hit, I remember that I did hit someone, of that Im sure.”

Ana Paula (22:29) “I got beaten a lot. It is hard to say that, but I got beaten a lot when I was going to the changing room. It was two huge girls against me alone.”

Virna (22:39) “Ok that Ana Paula provoked a little bit, she asked excuse me to the cubans that were in front of her go inside the changing room and when Ana Paula passed beside the cubans they (shows hitting sign).”

Torres: (22:51) (laughting) “Wait, cause Im laughting. I hit Ana Paula in the back? If I had hitted Ana Paula in the back, she would not be able to play volleyball anymore, of that Im sure of. If I, with the anger that I was, after what happened with Marcia Fu, what you can see in there, If I had touched one finger in Ana Paula, she, Im secure of it, that she would never play volleyball anymore, cause I would let her..”

Ana Paula: (23:16) “At night, when we arrived in the rooms, It was really hard for us to look to each other and contain the crying. It was really hard. Cause our dream has gone away.”

Virna: (23:33) “For me the one that deserved the most was Ana Moser. Cause she was responsable for all that success, from all of us. Cause she really used to take the responsability for herself. She was a trully warrior.”

(the bronze medal conquered in 1996 was the best result in Olympic Games in the history of Brasil women volleyball at the time)

Torres: (24:18 ) “Never gave up, they never gave up any match, and that is something everyone have to respect, I mean, Its a team that we have to respect.”

Marcia Fu: (24:27) “For the brasilian people I think It was much more rewarding that it was for us, to be honest. That is why I love this people. A people that is happy with everything.”

Ana Paula: (24:37) “No one could listen Cuba’s National Anthem. No one could listen. The brasilian crowed were singing so loud ‘Deitado eternamente em berço esplêndido’ (Lyrics of Brazil’s National Anthem)”

Virna: (24:44) “There is nothing better than you being in a podium, you look to your flag there being pull up and listen to your country’s anthem, I even get emotional to think about it.”

Ana Moser: (24:58 ) “It is not only the first place that matters, but It is how you make it, the road. And that is what stays. And that is what is history, It is more than the image, you know, cause the images bring the emotion involved, the emotions that we lived. So It is not the beauty of the spiking moviment, that is nice, Its part of it, but what stays in history is the emotion.”

(Ends with the image of the brazilians recieving the bronze medals, and the brazilian crowd in the gym sining Brazil’s Nationa Anthem).

• I didnt know where to post this news, but since we are talking here about the brasil and cuban team in the 90s, I thought it could suit here perfectly.
    I just found a video on youtube about cuban (she has the spanish citizenship and also played for Spain during 2001) MB Magaly Carvajal playing in season 2010/11 for the spanish club Voleibol Alcobendas. What interesting is, that she is playing as setter ! She changed many times her position as it seems during her career, she played MB, Opp and now Setter. This season she plays for Cuesta Piedra in Teneriffe in the spanish first league.

[media]

[media]

• I just found a video form 1994 Super Four Cup

In the end, you can see that the rivalry is there, some do not give their handy each other

[media]

[media]

• Here is an interview with my newly favorite player Marcia Fu, telling Mireya Luis is one of the best Cuban Players in the World

[media]

[media]

• And here is the "sequel" to the Atlanta semifinal: final of 1996 WGP some weeks later, and the fun continues:

It starts at 10'00, and look how Regla Torres completely goes mad :lol: But after reading her interviews in the documentary I'm not so surprised about that...

• My goodness! carvajal looks like the hindenberg! If she played alongside suellen, the fivb could be pushed to enforce weight restrictions. Just kidding. But really carvajal looks like a walking blimp. Interestingly though, none of the other ladies hit as strong as she did in this video.

I didnt know where to post this news, but since we are talking here about the brasil and cuban team in the 90s, I thought it could suit here perfectly.
    I just found a video on youtube about cuban (she has the spanish citizenship and also played for Spain during 2001) MB Magaly Carvajal playing in season 2010/11 for the spanish club Voleibol Alcobendas. What interesting is, that she is playing as setter ! She changed many times her position as it seems during her career, she played MB, Opp and now Setter. This season she plays for Cuesta Piedra in Teneriffe in the spanish first league.

[media]

[media]

• I try to watch the video again and now is private.