Dutch NT 2013-2014

• Getting to know: DRESDNER SC and Dutch national team libero Myrthe Schoot

Myrthe Schoot – the libero of DRESDNER SC and of the Dutch national team – is a great athlete and personality at the same time. The 25-year old is spending her second season in Dresden. She is working hard and has a dream to fulfil: “It shall come true in 2016, on a beautiful day where the hosts of Brazil and the Netherlands will be playing each other in the Olympic final. In the tie-break I catch the ball, our team scores that rally and ends the set at 15-13 thereby winning Olympic gold,” she says.

That would be the perfect day for Myrthe. However, apart from this big dream, she always takes her role and responsibilities very seriously. It has been already 18 months since the young and good-looking player from Winterswijk moved to Dresden. She is now one of the pillars of the team that this year made the semis of the CEV Volleyball Cup after participating in the prelims of the 2014 CEV DenizBank Volleyball Champions League. She follows in the footsteps of another excellent libero, Kerstin Tzscherlich. She has improved a lot as a player and as a person as well, thereby becoming one of the most loved team members among the fans of DRESDNER SC.

By the time she arrived in Dresden she was much helped by Tzscherlich. “She really helped me a lot and provided many useful tips. However, I have to stay myself and cannot copy her way of playing Volleyball. I have to find and go my own way.” She discovered Volleyball by the time she was only eight years old following her sister Anne who was already 13 and playing for a Volleyball club. “I started as an outside hitter but the former coach of our national team Avital Selinger discovered my skills in defence. So I switched and became a libero” recounts the 183 cm tall player. She is now fully at ease in her new role: “I have more fun stopping the balls than by clashing with the block. I need to be very communicative with the other members of the team. Moreover, I have to be able to read and understand the game very quickly. Honestly, I do not wish to go back to the position I started with,” she admits.

Like many other Volleyball players, she also has been going through ups and downs in her career. “The happiest moment came at the 2009 European Championship in Poland where we played before 15,000 fans,” she recounts. By that time she was already a national league and national cup champion with her former team from the city of Amstelveen. So far she has played more than 100 matches with the national team. “I was really disappointed last year when I was not retained for the group that played at the European Championship in Germany. It was a very difficult situation for me to stand.” However, she also found the right motivation to work harder than before and is now back in the group: last January she helped the Dutch finish second at the qualification tournament in Croatia whereby they booked their ticket to the 2014 World Champs in Italy. “I am very grateful to our coach Alexander Waibl. He always showed he believes in me and gave me a lot of confidence. He has helped me get back to my real strength.”

Schoot feels good on and off the court right now. “There is a player from Belgium in our team here in Dresden, Elies Goos, and with her I can speak Dutch. This way I feel a bit like being at home,” she says. However, she also perfectly speaks German. “I think that people from the Netherlands are very good at languages and assimilating other cultures. On top of this, I always want to learn something more about the country where I live,” she stresses. She has already explored the historical centre of Dresden a few times together with her parents. “My father used to teach history and knows many things about the past and other cultures. We also went to the Semperopera. There I watched an Italian opera with my parents and it was the first time in my life I had such a chance. It was just amazing.”

Another thing that amazes Myrthe are the fans that regularly get together at the Margon Arena. “Our fans are great and can create a great ambiance in our matches. This is particularly true when we play in the Bundesliga or European Cups. There are not that many people who come to watch a Volleyball game back home in the Netherlands,” concludes the libero who would like to stay in Dresden for yet another season while continuing to work in order to achieve her lifelong dream…

Credit to CEV website
    http://www.cev.lu/News.aspx?NewsID=16873&ID=2,3,6

"Lo sbaglio più grande e quello di credere di aver vinto prima ancora di giocare la partita"

• Dutch NT will play 2 friendly matches against Belgian NT in DELA Trophy 2014 tournament.

31 May, 2014 - NED - BEL (Eindhoven)
    01 June, 2014 - NED - BEL (Eindhoven)

Gido Vermeulen has been announced wide roster for National Team. The Netherlands squad consists the players for friendlies, Grand Prix etc. listed at the below:

Setters: Laura Dijkema, Femke Stoltenborg, Inge Molendijk, Kim Staelens
    OPPs: Manon Flier, Judith Pietersen, Celia Diemkoudre, Karine Muijlwijk
    OHs: Maret Grothues, Anne Buijs, Celeste Plak, Flore Gravesteijn, Lonneke Sloetjes (also as OPP), Esther van Berkel
    MBs: Robin de Kruijf, Quinta Steenbergen, Yvon Beliën, Lynn Thijssen, Carlijn Jans, Nicole Koolhaas
    Liberos: Myrthe Schoot, Kirsten Knip, Quirine Oosterveld

"Lo sbaglio più grande e quello di credere di aver vinto prima ancora di giocare la partita"

Edited once, last by Burak ().

• And now finally the roster and programm for the summer is released

23-roster for 2014:

Setters: Dijkema, Stoltenborg, Molendijk, Staelens

Libero: Schoot, Knip, Oosterveld

MB: De Kruijf, Steenbergen, Beliën, Thijssen, Jans, Koolhaas

OH: Grothues, Buijs, Plak, Gravesteijn, Sloetjes, van Berkel

Opp: Flier, Pietersen, Muijlwijk, Diemkoudre

Programm: friendlies against Bulgaria, Belgium, Germany, Turkey..Yeltsin Cup...

http://www.volleybal.nl/volley…ectie-en-programma-bekend

Surprise: Carlijn Jans, Nicole Koolhaas, (Karine Muijlwijk)..

Unfortunately no Tess von Piekartz...

Kim Renkema isn't in the roster anymore.

• I'm really happy to see Carlijn Jans in the roster!

Muijlwijk really deserves it.

Renkema is out now..she showend nothing special last summer, so I think good decision.

• Renkema is out now..she showend nothing special last summer, so I think good decision.

But as long as Grothues is injured, without Renkema there is no OH with solid reception. Having either Buijs or Plak on court is OK, but both at the same time will mean marathons for the setters probably :S

I thought Staelens retired from NT or would only play in emergency?

• But as long as Grothues is injured, without Renkema there is no OH with solid reception. Having either Buijs or Plak on court is OK, but both at the same time will mean marathons for the setters probably :S

I thought Staelens retired from NT or would only play in emergency?

Is Gravesteijn a good receiver ??? I hardly know her game :D :D

About Staelens: I think only for emergency, indeed. Kim is a very loyal person :rose:

• Gravesteijn was the best receiver in Hamburg, but that doesn't mean anything at all :D I think in Italy she played better overall than in Hamburg, but I don't think she has the level to be starter in NT. When she and Renkema played together in Stuttgart Renkema always started over Gravesteijn.

• Gravesteijn was the best receiver in Hamburg, but that doesn't mean anything at all :D I think in Italy she played better overall than in Hamburg, but I don't think she has the level to be starter in NT. When she and Renkema played together in Stuttgart Renkema always started over Gravesteijn.

Thanks for info.

Well, we will see what the line-up will be during Maret's absence. Poor setters, but both Plak and Buijs on court rocks in attack :D :D :D As long as it is in friendlies, no problem :P

• A question: Meijners is out forever? A herself-choise?

Every year the same question..and the same answer ;)

Yes, Floortje chose herself to quit NT (after a conflict with Selinger already in 2007)...and she doesn't want to return yet (possibly also because Vermeulen wanted to force her to return in 2012... :wall: :wall: ).

I had a little hope, because of the WCH in Italy, but her opinion hasn't changed yet, likely.

• Is Gravesteijn a good receiver ??? I hardly know her game :D :D

I don't know it much better, but from what I saw last season she looked solid enough.

Being without Stam and Grothues will be a major headache, I actually think they should roll the dice and play with two attacking OHs sometimes. NL can be too conservative sometimes...

• I don't know it much better, but from what I saw last season she looked solid enough.

Being without Stam and Grothues will be a major headache, I actually think they should roll the dice and play with two attacking OHs sometimes. NL can be too conservative sometimes...

Yes, just give it a try :drink: Celeste and Anne :D

Btw, did Debby disappear from the globe? I mean, Caro officially retired..but there isn't any news about Debby for a long time..

• Gravesteijn played as opposite in Montichiari. Very good player. :teach:

What about Debby Stam? :heart: Is she still injured? :S

Gravesteijn played opposite?? She should receive :teach: :D

About Debby: still no news...

Her choice, yes… But never say never ;)

Yes, just give it a try :drink: Celeste and Anne :D

Btw, did Debby disappear from the globe? I mean, Caro officially retired..but there isn't any news about Debby for a long time..

I didn't hear any new info, but with Grothues injured, she's either in or out… Not 'resting'

• Gravesteijn also played as OPP in Hamburg in some matches but was receiving in some line-ups.

Russia became European champion without reception, so maybe in the end it's not such a bad idea for Dutch NT to play with the strongest attackers too :D

About Meijners, I was hoping that maybe De Kruijf could talk her into coming to NT in Piacenza, but obviously not :(