• Don't you see guys?? Larson were prepared to be the new Logan Tom of the US team! She's too much better at receive and getting better in other fundaments... Hodge and Klineman are good options for the another OH position.

For the libero I think that Miyashiro is the best choice. She's a good player with some experience (she was in the last competitions with USA's shirt). Lloyd and Glass are good but first of all these girls need to make a big season to have confidence. And Glass, here's a note: PLEASE, FIND A CLUB WHO CAN PAY YOU!!!!!! :lol:

• Don't forget Lauren Paolini!!! She started the season very well with Crema, but now I don't know how she's playing in Igtisadchi! Can someone tell me?
    Btw, it's a good team, but I don't think that Akinradewo and other players are ready to be pillars of the US team as Berg and Tom already did.

• Don't forget Lauren Paolini!!! She started the season very well with Crema, but now I don't know how she's playing in Igtisadchi! Can someone tell me?
    Btw, it's a good team, but I don't think that Akinradewo and other players are ready to be pillars of the US team as Berg and Tom already did.

hooker is ready, akiradewo is ready larsson is still in the process of becoming a pillar but what they need is setter who will utilize the strength of their mb's because i dont think they have exploited this option as much as we want them to

• i think about setters that USA nt should try with the 2 most talented young ones,Lloyd and Glass ( i think that Lloyd is waaay better than Alisha IMO)..

Berg is amazing,but i think it's time to try with them,that are young,talented but already with a good experience and they can keep USA to future medals..

it's time to look over and wth these 2 girls i think it's not difficult to replace Berg in the next future..

• But I totally get how Bown, Tom, etc. can choose not to play anymore. And in Tom's case, she has played for USA for many years and has started every Olympic match in 4 Olympics. That is unreal. :white: I can't even remember many Olympians who do that. Maybe Gamova? I don't think Piccinini and I'm not sure about Lo Bianco. And in London, Tom had to play every point of every match. She's the only US player who did that, never getting to rest. So I'm glad she gets to rest now if she wants. :)

Yeah, of course I want Logan to get some rest, cause if there's a player who needs a break it's definitely her. For my own selfish reasons, I would just like to see her in the NT someday again.

Quote from voleielite

Don't you see guys?? Larson were prepared to be the new Logan Tom of the US team! She's too much better at receive and getting better in other fundaments... Hodge and Klineman are good options for the another OH position.

Uhm, I don't think there can be someone like 'new Logan Tom'. At least not now and not in the near future. Personally I think there are players that just can never have a 'new' versions of themselves - for example Logan, Sokolova, Glinka, Gamova. I like Jordam, I really do, and she will be one of the most important players in the NT for the next few years, but I'm not sure if she can be THE leader the way Logan always was.

• I think Logan is still very important for the NT. She won't be there this season for sure, every year after the Olympics it's like that. With Karch being selected head coach I think there is a big possibility for her to return. She loves working with him and he'll probably continue working with the system Hugh was working with which proved to be very much effective. As for this season I expect to see other players get a chance, setter will be Glass and Lloyd for sure - they are both very very good. Larson's position in the next years is guaranteed as there is no other all-around player in the US as her - except Logan of course. And if Karch continues working with that system the other OH should be Richards - a good receiver, she has the potential to improve, a good attacker and defensive player. Hodge will get a chance of course! But her reception is a very big problem for the USA so is she doesn't improve I don't see her as a starter unless USA changes their system of play. Hooker will probably get a rest after her injury, Fawcette is doing a great job in Korea. As for MB they have a lot of talent here too, Foluke and Harmotto may rest and other players should get a chance, but in the future they are the best MB duo in the world IMO. Thaisa and Fabiana are also good but they are pretty much MB1 and MB2, but Foluke and Harmotto both like to hit slides and usual middle sets. And Myashoro is a good libero, she should play to improve over this next few years. I see a very bright future for USA volleyball and I think they've got what it takes to win and Gold and the WCH 2014 which they never did

• Sad to hear about Barboza!!! :( She did great last season with Us team...and she is definetly still young...I was looking forward for her return in NT this season. I read she had a injury in her knee right? but didnt know it was so bad..that made her decide to retired...or that are other reasons involved?

• Yeah, I know. but still her surname sounds japanese to me 8| 8|

She actually is Japanese. Okinawan to be specific.

• I don't think Barboza officially announced her retirement but she's had quite a few knee injuries and surgeries and at a certain point her health outside of volleyball has to be taken into consideration. I hope for her healthy return but I wouldn't bet on her making the next Olympic team either even if she did.

As much as I appreciate Tom as a player I think her role on the NT is up. Not because she couldn't be of any use but because all of her generation will have moved on (Bown, Scott-Arruda, Sykora, Berg). I think the dynamic for this quad will be very different and I'd be curious to see how she'd fare as the lone veteran. However, if her desire is still there and barring injury she has to be in consideration.

One thing that worries me a little about the NT is the vulnerability of their passing. The Americans have never been traditionally known for their passing ability but now that they have some exceptionally talented middles and opposite player it sure would be nice to be able to utilize them with more frequency. Unfortunately, in the USA the collegiate rules allow for outside hitters to be substituted out of the backrow every time and they never develop adequate passing and by the time they reach the professional level they are just too far behind the curve. I'd almost like to see the USA bring in a player that is not a big and not as physical as everyone else but who can pass consistently. Someone similar to the role that Francesa Marcon plays for Busto. I do not think Juliann Faucette has a real place on the NT. Klineman has more potential on the passing front but I doubt either will ever develop into true receivers.

I've had high hopes for Hodge but she hasn't proved to be a great receiver. I know she is a tall and physical woman which makes it more difficult but she still has very poor footwork at times and does not track the ball as intuitively as she needs to. She's much more reactive than proactive. If she could make substantial progress in the next four years I would love to see her as a full time starter but I have my reservations. Larson has proved herself both on the pro scene and on the NT. I look forward to her taking a bigger leadership role in both passing and attacking. Kristin Richards has been a disappointment for quite some time but she has really come on strong recently. If she were able to get her passing to a consistent level I could definitely see her playing the Francesa Marcon role. Other players I'd like to see involved in the program who have not been in the pipeline thus far are Sonja Newcombe, Colleen Ward, Tarah Murrey. They may not be big names yet but I'd like to see them given time to develop and the opportunity.

Besides Akinradewo and Bown I think there is a solid core of American middles that could be effective. Crimes and Gibbemeyer are both talented. As are Rachel Adams, Gwen Rucker, Lauren Paolini, amongst others. I am least concerned about this position and the USA traditionally produces very good middle blockers.

As others have already mentioned Lloyd and Glass look set to take the reins. Although, with Lloyd's injury, which appears to be chronic, could be a factor. I hope she's able to recover quickly and reach the level that she reached last season. Nellie Spicer is still an option and I'm sure she'll be in the pipeline. I also think Lauren Cook, who currently plays in Puerto Rico, is a talented setter and should be picked up by a better league next season and should get a sot.

• In my opinion Jessica Jones shall be in NT this summer. She is having an amazing season in Puerto Rico and she is really strong blocker. She took best blocker award at Club world championship in 2012. She can even score a lot by spiking.

• I like what USAfan wrote. I think it is always easy to talk about players who have been on the team in the past, but I think USA has some really talented players, mostly outside hitters that could benefit from some good coaching from Karch that have not yet had a real chance on the national team.

I really like Sonja Newcombe, I think she is already better as an ALL AROUND player than Klineman, faucette and Richards. She has proven this in her pro career in Europe. I think murrey has struggled a bit with the transition and Im not sure Ward is quite there either. Kanani Danielson is another player to considerate who has potential for good ball control. She played in Japan this past year and did well.

I hope that karch can bring in and develope a couple of these players that are not currently stars and turn them into key players with the team. If he can, USA is in great shape!

• Because Logan Tom is a great setter :thumbsup:

It's possible, you just have to believe in yourself and really not care what other people say, because I've heard it all.
    If you let someone else dictate what you're going to do in life, then you won't get there.

Non so neanche come onestamente: in due mesi ero di nuovo in campo.

• I don't know about Kim Glass, but I heard Jennifer is gonna retire at the end of the season. ;(

Kim's one of my favorite players, but her career since 2008 Olympics is going downwards. She was never a good passer but during the Olympics she passed good, that's why Jenny inserted her to the starting 6.. and then she missed the 2010 WCH, made a comeback during 2011 never got a real chance because USA had a new system and Larson was a way better receiver. And now I don't think there's room for her.. there are many good OH Larson, Hodge, Richards, Barboza, Klineman... although Klineman is not a good passer I think Karch will give her a chance since she's young and can improve that. Kim is not that young anymore.. Anyways I would LOVE to see her back playing for the USA, she has the fire in her

• Question: Why does USA team use backrow hitters to set the ball as opposed to using the MB or libero?

Because 5 skills is not enough responsibility for Tom and Larson to receive, attack, block, dig and serve.

They must set too! :lol:

Such a difficult position to play :obey:

• Question: Why does USA team use backrow hitters to set the ball as opposed to using the MB or libero?

That's a decision specific to Hugh's team. Under different coaches, past USA teams used the middles to set. At times even the libero.

As posted above, it was a matter of choosing players to set out-of-system balls that could give hitters the best chance of winning the point. Tom and Larson are particularly strong at using their hands and both put up hittable sets. In terms of the overall system, it offset having one less backrow attacker.

Designating them as backup setter also protected Berg from running to get to every second ball.