Italian NT 2013

• S - Ferretti Bechis
    OPP - Ravetta Diouf
    MB - Guiggi Arrighetti Pisani Folie
    OH - Costagrande L.Bosetti C.Bosetti Barcellini Marcon
    L - Merlo Sirressi

My choice :D It's time to let old players like Gioli, Lo bianco, Piccinini, Del core go take a rest. Italy can't rely on the players anymore. Well, If you mention about Carolina Costagrande's age, She's 33 yo like Del core, but It has been only 2 years since she has played in Italy NT, So She can lead the team as a leader right now. I haven't seen her playing in Chinese League, but I'm quite sure she has improved a lot, because her coach is Jenny Lang Ping.

The most interesting position to look at is definitely setter and OH position. Ferretti should have been the first setter already, but She was too unlucky to have a legend setter like Leo. The OH position is quite fun to look at. Bosetti sisters will be the most outstanding ones in Italy NT I think. Apart from the sisters and Costagrande, there's no particular OHs. Anybody knows who else can play well?

• Di Iulio is playing pretty impressive this season. She is very stable at both offence and defence :thumbup: I don't like Barcellini she is not powerful neither at attack nor at reception. On the other hand, inviting Marcon might be interesting, she has outstanding reception skills (even better than some good liberos) It would be good combo to have her and a powerful attacker OH with low reception skills (Opp originated ones such as Neriman, Zebrowski, Tandara) Yet, Italy never had this kind of system (one offensive OH+one defensive OH) and they don't have a powerful offensive OH to put aside of Marcon. ?(

For MBs, both Guiggi and Arrighetti are offensive MBs rather than blocker. Only blocking specialized MBs of Italy are Barazza and Anzanello. Thus, I would call Barazza, at least.

Agree with Libero choice

• Please no more Lo Bianco in NT. Today she was more boring than ever! She's done as player.

I agree. She had her brilliant career but now as a setter and as a person she has nothing to offer to Italian NT. Now Italy needs young, humble and most of all highly motivated players...and Lo Bianco is definitely not one of them.

• I agree. She had her brilliant career but now as a setter and as a person she has nothing to offer to Italian NT. Now Italy needs young, humble and most of all highly motivated players...and Lo Bianco is definitely not one of them.

I think she should be in the NT for a while if Ferretti will not be there...

Btw Del Core said she will not play anymore in the NT

It's possible, you just have to believe in yourself and really not care what other people say, because I've heard it all.
    If you let someone else dictate what you're going to do in life, then you won't get there.

Non so neanche come onestamente: in due mesi ero di nuovo in campo.

• I think she should be in the NT for a while if Ferretti will not be there...

Btw Del Core said she will not play anymore in the NT

I think that our NT still needs Lo Bianco...she is still one of the best setters in the world and her experience, especially in a young national team as the one that probably Mencarelli will create, will definetely be needed! and what can she do in a team without reception as Galatasaray this year? I'd say more Gioli than Lo Bianco looks done as player!

• I agree with you

It's possible, you just have to believe in yourself and really not care what other people say, because I've heard it all.
    If you let someone else dictate what you're going to do in life, then you won't get there.

Non so neanche come onestamente: in due mesi ero di nuovo in campo.

• I think Italy NT should let the new faces play. I really like Lo Bianco, Gioli, Del Core and Piccinini, but it's time to new ones.
    I would call:
    Ferreti, Bechis
    Diouf, Zago
    C. Bosetti, L. Bosetti, Costagrande, Di Iulio
    Arrighetti, Guiggi, Barazza*, Folie
    Cardullo*, Merlo

*I chose Barazza because Italy needs a strong blocker, maybe Anzanello can be called. And Cardullo is not that old, so I think she can stay.

• Cardullo is the best of the best liberos in the World! But she is seriously injured at the moment and we don't know when she will be able to play again :(

I agree with your roster except for the 2nd setter. In my opinion Dalia is the best Italian setter after Ferretti at the moment ;)
    But I'm pretty sure Mencarelli will call Signorile and Camera.. :down:

• Cardullo is the best of the best liberos in the World! But she is seriously injured at the moment and we don't know when she will be able to play again :(

I agree with your roster except for the 2nd setter. In my opinion Dalia is the best Italian setter after Ferretti at the moment ;)
    But I'm pretty sure Mencarelli will call Signorile and Camera.. :down:

I kow Cardullo is injuried, but it's that serious? I really like her, she can get the ball everywhere.
    I don't like Signorile and Camera has some talent, but the good think is that they are young and can develop their skills.

• I tihnk Italy has to look from now on. Obviously just throw a young setter in the international play is risky, so a transition with Ferretti + a talented young setter is the best choice (and the most chosen one of the forumers ^^) for now. I also don´t like Signorile, but Camera or Bechis could be a good choice as 2nd setter....

P.S: I also forgot Rondon! She should still be an option!

• What about Caracuta? Busto is currently in first place in the league by a pretty comfortable margin with Lloyd having been on the bench most of the season due to injury. From what I've seen from Caracuta I would definitely put her up against Camera, Signorile and the likes.

• I forgot Caracuta and Rondon! And yes, Caracuta is doing really well in Busto this season. She can be an option to Mencarelli. And Rondon... she doesn't convice me. I don't like her style, she sets high and slows balls many times... but I didn't see her playing this season yet. Maybe she is becoming better. But for now Italy still has Ferretti and, for me, the second setter postion is empty.

• Rondon is just useless, She is too slow and can't block that much unlikely Naz who is as tall as her. I think Ferretti should be the main setter and Bechis as second setter.

• Caracuta is a solid "caretaker" setter. She does her job, but at the end of the day does not improve or weaken the team. She is not very physical and not able to save bad passes very well (esp. at the net) and she does not play with much creativity. Similar to Feretti in this respect. Even after sitting on bench for 4 months, Lloyd came in immediately and ran crossing combinations and brought speed and unpredictability to Busto's offense that Valeria could not.
    As Italy does not have dominant spikers, they need a setter with great creativity and deception (like Leo or Berg or Brazilian style) or someone with great athleticism who can make spectacular plays (like Glass). Caracuta would be unsuccessful with Italian NT, whereas I think she would be a great fit for maybe Russian team, who needs a solid consistent ball and decent decision-making, and the speed and creativity of some of the "better" setters would be wasted and potentially a liability.

• Caracuta is a solid "caretaker" setter. She does her job, but at the end of the day does not improve or weaken the team. She is not very physical and not able to save bad passes very well (esp. at the net) and she does not play with much creativity. Similar to Feretti in this respect. Even after sitting on bench for 4 months, Lloyd came in immediately and ran crossing combinations and brought speed and unpredictability to Busto's offense that Valeria could not.
    As Italy does not have dominant spikers, they need a setter with great creativity and deception (like Leo or Berg or Brazilian style) or someone with great athleticism who can make spectacular plays (like Glass). Caracuta would be unsuccessful with Italian NT, whereas I think she would be a great fit for maybe Russian team, who needs a solid consistent ball and decent decision-making, and the speed and creativity of some of the "better" setters would be wasted and potentially a liability.

Totally agreed.

• I think that our NT still needs Lo Bianco...she is still one of the best setters in the world and her experience, especially in a young national team as the one that probably Mencarelli will create, will definetely be needed! and what can she do in a team without reception as Galatasaray this year? I'd say more Gioli than Lo Bianco looks done as player!

Gioli looks done as player?

she performed not so brillant in final four of CL,but you said it too early.
    even she is in a team with a spiker of poor reception,a opposite of no spiking, a blocker of nothing , she is better than the rival-arrighetti in busto,
    she had achived something top level of MBs in Italy,i can tell a truth:
    she is better than arrighetti and guiggi and young girls right now in NT.
    she has no need to join in NT anymore, but you cannot say she is done!

• and this is my choice of new line-up:

i love the veterans,but i think this year ITA should have more new faces (in fact most of them are not new, they once were called by barbolini,so i think barbolini has a good sight and taste, even someone and himself was criticized at that time.)

S- Rondon, Signorile

OH- Di Iulio, Barcellini, C.Bosetti, L.Bosetti (Partenio)

MB- Arrighetti, Folie, Pisani (Crisanti)

OPP- Diouf, Zago

L- Merlo (De Gennaro, Sirressi)

• Is this roster also valid for ECh? Nice OH and Opp choice however noone of MBs are good blocker :whistle:

• Okay, Guiggi is more balanced as an attacker, but both Arrighetti and Folie could be great blockers too. Well, not as great as Furst, but I think they're okay.