Brazil players

• hey, guys and girls
    i wanna know where is the paula (brazil player in GP 05) ? she is a powerful hitter

and will she be in the brazillian NT this year? if she does, will ze roberto drop sasa or mari cos brazil has shellah as opposite, jaqueline and mari and sasa as hitters? thx so much?

• Paula played this season for Finasa/Osasco, she also won the Best Attack Award. And for what I know, she'll stay in Finasa/Osasco for one more season.
    Last year she had a daughter, Mel, but she went to WCH and didn't play as a starter, but she entered in some games :wink2:

I think she'll be in the NT this year, and I guess Zé Roberto won't have to drop anyone out of the team. As opp. we have Sheilla and Renatinha (althought I prefer Mari as opp.), and for outside we have Sassá, Jaqueline, Mari and Paula. Usually there's always 4 outside hitters on the NT. If he must chose only three, I think Mari would go as opp. and then Renatinha would be out.

I don't know if Paula will take a part in the GP'07 because the main team will be playing the Pan American Games here in Brazil this July, but I'm quite sure that she'll be in the World Cup.

• [quote="LothiePG"]Paula played this season for Finasa/Osasco, she also won the Best Attack Award. And for what I know, she'll stay in Finasa/Osasco for one more season.
    Last year she had a daughter, Mel, but she went to WCH and didn't play as a starter, but she entered in some games :wink2:

I think she'll be in the NT this year, and I guess Zé Roberto won't have to drop anyone out of the team. As opp. we have Sheilla and Renatinha (althought I prefer Mari as opp.), and for outside we have Sassá, Jaqueline, Mari and Paula. Usually there's always 4 outside hitters on the NT. If he must chose only three, I think Mari would go as opp. and then Renatinha would be out.

thanks LothiePG, now i am scared of that, she is such a powerful hitter in brazil for years since ana moser
    if she is goinf to play for brazil this world cup, russia has to be careful about her lol

• Quote from "Colossus"

thanks LothiePG, now i am scared of that, she is such a powerful hitter in brazil for years since ana moser
    if she is goinf to play for brazil this world cup, russia has to be careful about her lol

Was that ironic? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :wink2:
    I'm starting to doubt Brazil is ever going to beat Russia! :roll:
    Fabi (the libero) and Fabi (the middle blocker) gave an interview and the reporter asked about the losses to Russia, they answered that it was two different matches, but they feel like they want to face Russia everytime, in every championship, even in the Pan-American games 8)

• Quote from "LothiePG"

[quote="Colossus"]thanks LothiePG, now i am scared of that, she is such a powerful hitter in brazil for years since ana moser

Was that ironic? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :wink2:

no, though she is 184 cm tall, but with power and technique, dont get me wrong :)
    wonder if brazil will face the real russia in pan american cup cos gosha and sokolova only play for the world cup, currently not in the NT rooster 8)

• Quote from "Colossus"

no, though she is 184 cm tall, but with power and technique, dont get me wrong :)
    wonder if brazil will face the real russia in pan american cup cos gosha and sokolova only play for the world cup, currently not in the NT rooster 8)

THAT was ironic! :lol: :lol: Russia can't play at Pan American Games because only America's countries can play! :wink2: But they will so much of winning a tournament over Russia, that they want to face them every tournament they play! :wink2:

Personally, I'm still chocking on that 24x19 in OG2004. 3 years went by and I still CAN'T believe...

• Quote from "LothiePG"

Personally, I'm still chocking on that 24x19 in OG2004. 3 years went by and I still CAN'T believe...

yeah, i know how hard it is to digest this, isnt it the same thing happens when the usa vs germany in the 4th set in championship

btw, lothie, i wanna know if the brazilian team has any thought of changing the current strategy this year

i mean, will mari play hitter along with paula and jaqueline play MD so that to maximise the offensive capabilities

• Quote from "colossus"

yeah, i know how hard it is to digest this, isnt it the same thing happens when the usa vs germany in the 4th set in championship

btw, lothie, i wanna know if the brazilian team has any thought of changing the current strategy this year

i mean, will mari play hitter along with paula and jaqueline play MD so that to maximise the offensive capabilities

I really don't know that :wink2:
    Maybe, for OG, it's a possibility, because there the coach will try everything to make the team win, but now, I really have no idea!
    But as opposite, I think Sheilla can handle very well, just as good as Mari :wink2:

• Quote from "LothiePG"

[quote="colossus"][quote="LothiePG"]

I really don't know that :wink2:
    Maybe, for OG, it's a possibility, because there the coach will try everything to make the team win, but now, I really have no idea!
    But as opposite, I think Sheilla can handle very well, just as good as Mari :wink2:

i think sheilla is unstoppable, the current players are mostly from the same rooster of 2005 and 2006, i would like to know if ze roberto will use this roster for OG cos i guess there are enough new blood and renata will be out of the team and even possibly sasa????

• Quote from "colossus"

i think sheilla is unstoppable, the current players are mostly from the same rooster of 2005 and 2006, i would like to know if ze roberto will use this roster for OG cos i guess there are enough new blood and renata will be out of the team and even possibly sasa????

I think not even Zé Roberto knows that :wink2: The base of the team probably will be the same, and since he can take only 12 to OG I think it will be very very similar to the roster of WCH06. I don't know how it's going to be. We have very good players and it's impossible to predict which of them he'll choose :wink2:

• Well, I'd like to see Brazil's team playing with Jaqueline, Mari and Sheila or Paula, Mari and Sheila, or Jaqueline, Paula and Sheilla, or Jaqueline, Paula and Mari.

I think Brazil's coach strategy for this year is working on the team's weaknesses. Zé Roberto's desire is having tall outside hitters, so Sassá and Érika may be dropped out from the team.

As regards the middle-blockers, I guess Thaísa will carve her space in Brazil's NT. In my opinion, she's better than Fabiana in attacking and serving, and as good as her in blocking.

I hope the new setters could evolve enough to keep the same level of playing when Fofão leaves the team after Beijing Olympics. But that's a long-term challenge.

• [quote="Celso"]As regards the middle-blockers, I guess Thaísa will carve her space in Brazil's NT. In my opinion, she's better than Fabiana in attacking and serving, and as good as her in blocking.

then brazil will be the most rigorous contestant for 2007 and 2008 cos brazil has the full team
    in this year, the only teams that might cause trouble for ze roberto might be russia, germany and holland and serbia if they meet

ps: i know how to pronounce jose, but how to pronounce guimaraes in spanish :) is it gi-ma-ra-es, thx

• Quote from "colossus"

ps: i know how to pronounce jose, but how to pronounce guimaraes in spanish :) is it gi-ma-ra-es, thx

the "a" in Guimarães is nasal, so it's like "an"... :?
    But we don't speak Spanish here, we speak Portuguese, so there's a small difference when we say the name (the J doesn't have the R sound) :wink2:

• Quote from "LothiePG"

[quote="colossus"]

the "a" in Guimarães is nasal, so it's like "an"... :?
    But we don't speak Spanish here, we speak Portuguese, so there's a small difference when we say the name (the J doesn't have the R sound) :wink2:

oh, i see, portugese. then is "jose" pronounced as "hose" with the h sound articulated 8)

• Hi Colossus! Wassup?

It is really hard to pronounce the nasal phonems of Portuguese /ã/ /õ/, especially because they are normally followed by an other vowel.

I was trying to find a way to explain you how to pronounce it and it's kinda difficult, but still I'll give a shot.

How to pronounce José in Portuguese:

The /J/ sound is the same as french for example, in English it is the /zs/ sound, like zsa zsa for example.

The /o/ sound, in the name José sounds as the /au/ sound in French like Au revoir, or like the /o/ sound in english, like in old.

The /s/ sound is like the /z/ sound in english in zero, for examplo, or the /x/ sond like in xerox

And then the /é/ sound, it is like the first /e/ sound in every, or the /è/ sound in the french word frère.

So now, I guess you can understand how we can pronoun José in portuguese.

Now Roberto.

The /R/ sound is like the /h/ sound of house in English.

The /o/ sound is the same as in José (remember the au revoir, LOL!)

The /b/ sound is the same as in english or french

The /e/ sound is the same as in José

The second /r/ sound is like the Russian /r/ or the Italian /r/ or even the Spanish /r/ (people from the countryside pronounce it as the english /r/, but I have to confess that I find it strange. People from Rio de Janeiro pronounce it as the french /r/)

The /t/ sound is the same as Spanish or Italian, it is slightly different from the /t/ sound of the English or the French languages.

The second /o/ sound is weaker than the 1st one... I guess it sounds like the second /o/ in color, for example.

Finally the word Guimarães

the /Gui/ sound is the same as the english sound, in guilty.

then the /M/ sound is the same as English, french, spanich and so on

the /a/ sound is like the English a in American

then the /r/ sound sounds like the russian or italian or spanish /r/ (in portuguese, in the beginning of a word the /r/ sounds like the /h/ sound in house, and in the middle of a word like the italian /r/)

Then the biggest challenge, the /ã/ sound! To pronounce it... first you have to open your mouth as if you were going to say the 1st /a/ sound in American but pronounce the /o/ sound like in ocean instead.

The /e/ sound in guimarães is different from the /e/ sound in Roberto. In Guimarães this /e/ is a week sound, like the /e/ sound in complete.

Finally the /s/ sound, it is like english /s/ in soul, I guess this one is very easy.

Now you have to gather together all these weird phonems (they are not weird only for Portuguese speakers, LOL!) and pronounce the words as fast as possible. I know it's not an easy task, but then you'll be able to pronounce José Roberto´s name as a native brazilian-portuguese speaker! LOL!

Good luck on your task! LOL!

• [quote="Celso"]Hi Colossus! Wassup?

It is really hard to pronounce the nasal phonems of Portuguese /ã/ /õ/, especially because they are normally followed by an other vowel.

I was trying to find a way to explain you how to pronounce it and it's kinda difficult, but still I'll give a shot.

How to pronounce José in Portuguese:

The /J/ sound is the same as french for example, in English it is the /zs/ sound, like zsa zsa for example.

wow, thx celso, its a really detailed account, i need some time to digest the phomes
    you remind me of my spanish speaking friend from quatamala; i always like people speaking different languages ; thx :)