Brazil NT - Team Roster - 2007 Season

• Today the Brazilian Volleyball Confederation released Brazil's Team Roster, which consists of the following players:

Setters: Carolina Albuquerque (Cimed/Macaé), Fabíola Josefa (Brasil Telecom/Brasília) and Hélia Souza a.k.a. Fofão (Despar Perugia)

Opposites: Renata Colombo (Rexona-Ades/Rio de Janeiro) and Sheilla Castro (Scavolini Pesaro)

Outside hitters: Érika Coimbra (Bigmat Chieri), Jaqueline Carvalho (Monte Schiavo Jesi), Marianne Steinbrecher (Scavolini Pesaro), Natália Pereira (Finasa/Osasco), Paula Pequeno (Finasa/Osasco) and Welissa Gonzaga a. k. a. Sassá (Rexona-Ades/Rio de Janeiro)

Middle-blockers: Caroline Gattaz (Finasa/Osasco), Fabiana Claudino (Rexona-Ades/Rio de Janeiro), Thaísa Menezes (Rexona-Ades/Rio de Janeiro) and Walewska Oliveira (Despar Perugia)

Liberos: Arlene Xavier (Finasa/Osasco) and Fabiana Oliveira (Rexona-Ades/Rio de Janeiro)

Invited players: Regiane Bidias (Rexona-Ades/Rio de Janeiro) and Joyce Silva (Fiat/Minas) (both of them are opposites)

• Where is Sassá???? :shock: :shock:
    I think you forgot her! I checked on the official roster and she was there!

Fabíola is a great setter, I thought she'd have been invited earlier to join the NT. But I also wasn't expecting her.
    About Thaísa, it was SURE she'd going to be invited, amazing player! But... I hope she remains on the team after the cut -- I mean, to go to the GP at least --, she's the tallest player in Brazil.

BTW, I had heard that Brazil would have 2 teams... but I guess some of them are going to play in both competitions - GP and Pan American Games.

• Hey Lothie, thanks for the info! I've already edited my post!

I think Fabiola is good, she was part of Brazil´s NT in the 2003 season under Marco Aurélio Motta´s command. She played the 2003 World Grand Prix in wich Brazil finished 7th place and after Zé Roberto´s coming to Brazil NT she was only invited to train with the group.

Now she has a chance to show her value. I hope she could grab it. As the Pan-American Games are too close to the WGP, maybe Fofão will rest a little and Carol A. and Fabiola will play the competition in Asia.

When it comes to the middle blockers, I guess Thaísa will take Carol G.´s place. She serves a lot better than Carol G., her attacks are much stronger than Carol G.'s and she reaches much higher than Carol G. in the blocking.
    Although Fabiana is in great form, I´d like to see both Thaísa and Walewska playing for Brazil NT.

• Quote from "Celso"

When it comes to the middle blockers, I guess Thaísa will take Carol G.´s place. She serves a lot better than Carol G., her attacks are much stronger than Carol G.'s and she reaches much higher than Carol G. in the blocking.
    Although Fabiana is in great form, I´d like to see both Thaísa and Walewska playing for Brazil NT.

So far, I have NO idea what the hell Carol Gattaz is doing in the NT.
    Nothing personal against her, but she should be at least the 5th choice when it comes to middle-blockers.

Note: Since there was a misinterpretation on my post, just want to make sure that it should not be interpretated as an offense, it's just a strong way to say I don't like her work.

• [quote=

So far, I have NO idea what the hell Carol Gattaz is doing in the NT.

i think its fair to say this when you compare her with fabiana and walewska, but she is 191cm tall, unless the new play plays better, she will be in the nt, i guess

with the return of paula, i think either mari or sasa will be out of the team, if not this year then in 2008 cos paula seems to receive pretty well, especially erica returns, and natalia could spike reach 3.19 m, so the competition will be tough

while theres a new libero, my guess will be that she belongs to the post-2008 rooster

anyway, brazil has gathered the best players so far this year

• Thanks for the infos!!!

As usual Brazil has a strong team. With the returns of Paula and Erika. The arrival of tall Thaisa. The competition for the spikers is strong. Who will be left out, Sassa or Mari? Or maybe Mari will play as opposite instead of Renatinha?

Hope this is the year Brazil win the World Cup.

• Quote from "colossus"

isnt she the 19 years old setter, or did i get the wrong information?

No, Thaísa is 19-years-old middle-blocker. She turns 20 this month.

Quote from "samba_player"

As usual Brazil has a strong team. With the returns of Paula and Erika. The arrival of tall Thaisa. The competition for the spikers is strong. Who will be left out, Sassa or Mari? Or maybe Mari will play as opposite instead of Renatinha?

I still have dreams that Mari comes back as opposite, but don't know if it's going to happen...
    About WGP and Pan American... some players will play both, and others will only play one of the competitions. When it comes to the World Cup, the thing is unpredictable. If I were the coach, I'd take Erika and Sassá (they have the same function on the team, so if the starter is doing a lousy job, he can replace her...) and also i'd take Mari and Jaqueline, leaving Paula and Natália behind. But, well, I'm not the coach :roll:

• For me Mari, Jaqueline and Paula are already among the 12. The other place for the outside hitter will be disputed by Natália, Érika and Sassá and if I were the coach I would choose Natália.

As regards the middle-blockers, my trio would be Walewska, Fabiana and Thaísa.

When it comes to the opposites I would choose Sheilla only. I don't like Renata very much and her performance in the Brazil's Superliga was below the critic. My choice would be either Joyce Silva or Regiane. I guess Joyce Silva is a little better than Regiane right now.

When it comes to the setters, my choice is the same as Zé Roberto´s: Carol A. and Fofão and as regards the liberos I would chose Michelle, not Fabi nor Arlene. Arlene did a lousy job in the last match of the final playoffs of the Brazilian Superliga and although I like Fabi on defense, I think she's not as good in reception.

• Quote from "Celso"

For me Mari, Jaqueline and Paula are already among the 12. The other place for the outside hitter will be disputed by Natália, Érika and Sassá and if I were the coach I would choose Natália.

I think Natália has still a lot to learn, and in international games is not exactly the place to learn (I mean, she makes basic mistakes yet!)... About Paula, I think if it was any other coach, I doubt she would have been in WCH last year. She gave birth only 5 months before the competition and he put his bet on her, a lot of coaches wouldn't do that. You're right, probably she wouldn't leave the team even if she had to play with a broken leg :lol: :lol: :twisted:

Quote from "Celso"

As regards the middle-blockers, my trio would be Walewska, Fabiana and Thaísa.

ITA!

Quote from "Celso"

When it comes to the opposites I would choose Sheilla only. I don't like Renata very much and her performance in the Brazil's Superliga was below the critic. My choice would be either Joyce Silva or Regiane. I guess Joyce Silva is a little better than Regiane right now.

I want so bad to see Mari as opposite again. But since there's no way... Regiane!! :wink2:

Quote from "Celso"

When it comes to the setters, my choice is the same as Zé Roberto´s: Carol A. and Fofão and as regards the liberos I would chose Michelle, not Fabi nor Arlene. Arlene did a lousy job in the last match of the final playoffs of the Brazilian Superliga and although I like Fabi on defense, I think she's not as good in reception.

I even like Carolina, but if Fabíola is able to do a better job, I wouldn't mind to say I'd prefer her to stay in the team. I was expecting him to put Dani Lins on the roster... :cry2: :cry2: :cry2:

And I also LOVE Michelle! She has so much energy, she's always jumping, and celebrating every point, she does perfect receptions and digs... and for lord's sake, Arlene is almost retiring! I don't think her last match at Superliga should define how she plays, but she should give her place to someone younger to make this so talked "renovation". Calling a 37-years-old libero contradicts all the stuff Zé Roberto has been saying over the years.

But I don't know why he does not put her on the roster. She has been invited to play with the NT two years ago along with Fernandinha, and the only explanation I could find to not see them both in the roster (or at least Michelle) was that he did not like their jobs. Or them. I don't know...

• Well, Lothie, I don't think that's the case. Even being part of the group that finished 1st runner-up last WCH, Paula wasn't given the chance to play. She has by far the player who less played that competition.

With respect to Natalia, you may be right, she indeed commits stupid mistakes, I acknowledge that, but one thing is true: she is also capable of doing majestic plays on court. So, for her potential, I think she does deserve a chance to play in Brazil NT.

• Quote from "Celso"

Well, Lothie, I don't think that's the case. Even being part of the group that finished 1st runner-up last WCH, Paula wasn't given the chance to play. She has by far the player who less played that competition.

With respect to Natalia, you may be right, she indeed commits stupid mistakes, I acknowledge that, but one thing is true: she is also capable of doing majestic plays on court. So, for her potential, I think she does deserve a chance to play in Brazil NT.

What I wanted to mean when I said about Paula is that if it was other coach, she wouldn't even be called to join the NT. There were other players with potential that were in better shape than her, but he did give her the chance to be there :wink2:

Celso, eu não gosto da Natália, acho que pelo mesmo motivo que a Tiemi tá difícil de descer: quando ainda não eram conhecidas criou-se um clima de "nossa, esse é o maior talento q eu já vi" e vc fica naquela expectativa, e quando finalmente vê ela jogando e tal, fica aquela sensação de "nossa, era isso daí?". Mas admito que ela é uma jogadora de bom nível, apesar de não gostar. Só acho que convocá-la para competições internacionais é um pouco de sei lá... forçar ela a ter um amadurecimento que se conquista só com o tempo... treinar com a seleção sim, mas competir, eu não concordo... Mas enfim, se eu fosse o Zé, eu estaria agora trabalhando e não postando aqui! uhauhauhauha

PS: Sorry for the message in portuguese, but it was easier to express my point of view to Celso :wink2:

• [quote=Well,

i think the popular choice of opposites will be sheilla and mari

mari is the most powerful hitter brazil has now and ze roberto simply will not let her go,

as for paula, 5 months after giving birth, well, if she could make a speedy recovery then is okay, like luis in the past

a libero of 37, simply contradict what ze roberto always do; jacqueline was very young in athens olympic and sasa as well,

• Lothie,

I respect your opinion, but what you said doesn't convince me. One can't compare Natalia with Ana Tiemi in the first place. I like Natalia because of what I've seen, not because of what other people said.

I think her achievements speak for themselves, even playing in team who lacks a good setter, she finished second top scorer of the competition. If I'm not mistaken Natalia was among the top-10 both in attack, blocking and service. That is impressive for a 17 year-old girl.

Physically, she has a lot more potential than Sassá and Érika. Maybe the fact that you don't like her makes you have a biased opinion about how good she is. I think Zé Roberto is competent enough to decide which player will be best for the team and maybe that's why Natalia is part of the team, not an invited player, like Regiane or Joycinha.

Well, I guess I can understand English perfectly well! LOL! There's no need to speak in Portuguese for me to understand what you say.

• [quote="colossus"][quote=Well,

i think the popular choice of opposites will be sheilla and mari

mari is the most powerful hitter brazil has now and ze roberto simply will not let her go,

as for paula, 5 months after giving birth, well, if she could make a speedy recovery then is okay, like luis in the past

a libero of 37, simply contradict what ze roberto always do; jacqueline was very young in athens olympic and sasa as well,[/quote]

What about a 37 year-old setter? I guess the thing with Arlene is that she's rather new in the National Team, her first appearance in the NT roster was in 2002, when she was already 32 years old.

As her position doesn't require as much physical preparation as it is required for a player who has to attack and block, I don't see any problem for her being called. My objection lies on the fact that she didn't play well the Brazilian League. Last year, though, she played much better than Fabi and Zé Roberto eventually pick the younger for the WCH.

• I'm sure you do understand English perfectly, that wasn't what I meant. I think it was better for me to express my thoughts in Portuguese since, doesn't matter how much my English is good or bad... my Portuguese will always be better. Sorry if I ofended you in any way.

About Natália, I'm not saying any more word. Just want to let you know that my dislike about her is not personal, I just think she has the potential but is not a good player yet. I've got my opinion, you've got yours, and I guess that's it :wink2: It's a good thing people have different opinions, and as you said you have your opinion on what you saw, I also saw her playing. If everyone thought the same way, the world would be sooo perfect, but boring :P
    So... I guess this ends here :wink2:

• LothiePG, nothing against Carol Gattaz???
    hahahahahaha
    I remember that!!!

Just kidding :wink2:

I got a little surprise with Fabíola, but after the finals, Dani Lins couldn't be in the National Team... YET. I do prefer Ana Tiemi to Lins, but Fabiola is good enough.

About Natália, I believe she's not going to still in NT, because she is a player with the same style of Mari and Paula; and Zé Roberto is not crazy to cut one of those two GREAT players.

The other cut probably will be between Sassá and Érika. I don't have any idea about wich girl Zé will prefer. I think Érika is better than Sassá, but Sassá was very important to us through these years, includind when Érika did decide not play in the NT.

• Quote from "Felipe Oliveira"

LothiePG, nothing against Carol Gattaz???
    hahahahahaha
    I remember that!!!

Just kidding :wink2:

Hahaha... really!!
    I don't like Carol Gattaz as a player, I said that even to her. My opinion of her as a person do not count when I said that. Even if I absolutely loved her, I'd not like her as a player the same way :wink2:
    I also saw Jaqueline and Mari being rude with their fans and that does not influenciate my opinions of them as players :wink2:

• Quote from "Felipe Oliveira"

LothiePG, I've seen some photos with Paula, and I think she is nice, but this nicely seems a little fake... what do you think about it?

I've never seen her being rude, she has never been rude to me too. I don't pay attention to rumours, I think some people overreact because they have expectations on the player. Of course not everyone, but I've seen people start crying just because the player did not give all the attention he/she wanted, for example.

If her sympathy is fake or not, I don't know. I'm no one to tell you that :wink2: