Russian NT 2014

• Whether Marichev will rely on Obmochaeva and Kosheleva or will again play the B team ? :whistle:

• Final roster for WGP 2014.

Setters

Ekaterina Pankova-Kosyanenko (Moscow,1990)
    Evgeniya Startseva (Kazan,1989)

Middle Blockers

Irina Zaryazhko (Ekaterinburg,1991)
    Anastasia Shlyakhovaya (Omsk,1990)
    Irina Fetisova (Odintsovo,1994)
    Yulia Podskalnaya (Krasnodar,1989)

My prediction - Shlyakhovaya&Podskalnaya as starters, Zaryazhko at bench and Fetisova as 13th or 14th player outside of the court...

OPPs

Natalia Goncharova-Obmochaeva (Moscow, 1989)
    Natalia Malykh (Odintsovo, 1993)

OHs

Tatiana Kosheleva (Krasnodar, 1988 )
    Anastasia Bavykina (Odintsovo, 1992)
    Yana Scherban (Krasnodar, 1989)
    Alexandra Pasynkova (Krasnodar, 1987)

I think Kosheleva&Bavykina are supposed to play as offensive OHs, Scherban&Pasynkova as defensive on the other hand.

Liberos

Anna Malova (Moscow, 1990)
    Svetlana Kryuchkova (Krasnodar, 1985)

http://www.russiavolley.com/52…at-world-grand-prix-2014/

It must be like Sophie's choice for Marichev, because both Kuyukova and Aliseva who have just been cut played well throughout the previous tournaments...

• It would be interesting to see if Morozova's absence is a key factor for this young Russian squad. But I'm glad to know that she will be rejoining the team to compete at the World Championships later this year which is inarguably a more important tournament. I believe the most ideal OH combinations would be OH1a/OH1b: Kosheleva/Scherban OH2a/OH2b: Bavykina/Pasynkova (1 offensive/defensive OH). I also agree with Marichev's decision in cutting Alisheva, Kutiukova from the team as I think their teammates can do a better job (Kutiukova in particular is mainly used as receiver and gets replaced when she is in the front row).

• The question should be how she's going to adapt the new atmosphere of the young Russian team :D And Gamova coming back means Natasha Malkyh will possibly be out, or one MB or OH should be out in stead... she's always needed but I don't want Sokolova in NT anymore.

• :down: :down: :down: :down: I have no words! This is a really great Russian team, with great atmosphere, no real boss or star or whatsoever... Gamova back means Obmochaeva on bench and Malykh out and she really deserves to be there.. I hate this kind of attitude.. Those were the girls that trained hard and fought and won the ECH after 100 years for Russia, and she was sitting home, she the queen.. And I really liked Russia..........

• Gamova is such a class as OP, but it would be unfair for players who are training whole summer, it probably means that Malykh will be out ;(

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• This Russian team just got more interesting. With Gamova and Morozova back for WCH (and with Borodakova gone), Russia it seems a really hard team to beat. I wouldn't classify it as greed for Gamova, but I think WCH is a really special tournament for her having won the last two editions and awarded MVP no less in WCH 2010. But I also feel sad that with Gamova's return, 1 OH/OPP is sure to be out.

• Don't start to beat her up, it was always on the cards as I saw it. She's very competitive, she still enjoys volleyball, she continues her career for the club, doesn't have children. So that's there to do in October? Why not go to WCh if it's 99% your last chance to play there. All summer long I wondered why Gamova isn't coming back to NT, cause I had suspicion she wants to. So I don't think it's a surprise.

• Gamova is such a class as OP, but it would be unfair for players who are training whole summer, it probably means that Malykh will be out ;(

Well yeah, that's what I've said.. I think it's time Russia stops relying on Gamova... Obmochaeva is good and old enough to be a starter, and Russia has won the last two editions so I don't think there is an urge for Gamova to play.. Wining gold in Rio should be their goal and I doubt Gamova will be there for that.. so if they want to win in Rio with Obmochaeva, Malykh and the rest, they have to let them play now

• Don't start to beat her up, it was always on the cards as I saw it. She's very competitive, she still enjoys volleyball, she continues her career for the club, doesn't have children. So that's there to do in October? Why not go to WCh if it's 99% your last chance to play there. All summer long I wondered why Gamova isn't coming back to NT, cause I had suspicion she wants to. So I don't think it's a surprise.

I don't think neither and I don't blame her, but it would be interesting how this team can work without her during WCH. I hope it won't spoil atmosphere because Ekaterina wasn't in NT in last year when team got gold. Now we have many new players like Kosianenko, Malova, Shlyakhovaya, Zaryazhko, Fetisova, Podskalnaya, Bavykina, Shcherban or Kutyukova, while Pasynkova is back, fortunately they got rid of Borodakova :D

• Well yeah, that's what I've said.. I think it's time Russia stops relying on Gamova... Obmochaeva is good and old enough to be a starter, and Russia has won the last two editions so I don't think there is an urge for Gamova to play.. Wining gold in Rio should be their goal and I doubt Gamova will be there for that.. so if they want to win in Rio with Obmochaeva, Malykh and the rest, they have to let them play now

This club season Gamova prooved that she's the best Opp in the world (my opinion). Do you think she will get that dramatically old and out of shape in 2016? Its World Championships and we all understand in which way Russia has more chances to be in the medals - with Gamova or with Malykh. Natasha is only 20, her time will come soon enough.

• This club season Gamova prooved that she's the best Opp in the world (my opinion). Do you think she will get that dramatically old and out of shape in 2016? Its World Championships and we all understand in which way Russia has more chances to be in the medals - with Gamova or with Malykh. Natasha is only 20, her time will come soon enough.

Gamova playing like that should be in Rio without any doubts, but this team should learn how to play without her. First bigger lesson was ECH in last year :wavy:
    I hope that Sokolova won't join because they don't need her anymore ^^

• I don't think neither and I don't blame her, but it would be interesting how this team can work without her during WCH. I hope it won't spoil atmosphere because Ekaterina wasn't in NT in last year when team got gold. Now we have many new players like Kosianenko, Malova, Shlyakhovaya, Zaryazhko, Fetisova, Podskalnaya, Bavykina, Shcherban or Kutyukova, while Pasynkova is back, fortunately they got rid of Borodakova :D

I agree that it would be interesting, but I wouldn't overestimate the value of winning ECh last year and the quality of the game Russian NT produced there. In my opinion it was not the WCh medal quality. So if there's a possobility to make team stronger - gotta do it!

• This club season Gamova prooved that she's the best Opp in the world (my opinion). Do you think she will get that dramatically old and out of shape in 2016? Its World Championships and we all understand in which way Russia has more chances to be in the medals - with Gamova or with Malykh. Natasha is only 20, her time will come soon enough.

I agree with you, she played as the best right now.. And yes her shape can get down for 2 years significantly.. It doesn't mean that she won't be able to score a point, but Obmochaeva would be better for example and for her to be a starter she needs to play till then as a starter in big tournaments.. Logan was one of the leading scorers for the USA in 2010, and as much as her role changed when Destinee became the scorer, her scoring ability went down by 2012.. So 2 years does change a lot for 30+ woman.. Also not want to talk about injuries which are more common for older players.. And I was talking that it's Obmochaeva's time to be a starter, not Malykh.. although I like to see Malykh in WCH too, she deserved it

• Gamova playing like that should be in Rio without any doubts, but this team should learn how to play without her. First bigger lesson was ECH in last year :wavy:

I think WGP would be enough of a lesson for this year. All the players say in interviews that they treat this tournament very seriously. But WCh is an event where you go to get medals, not lessons, once again, my opinion)

• I just have a feeling that IF Gamova plays as starter, Startseva definitely should play in stead of Kosianenko...and obviously we will see Startseva's typical games relying on Gamova :wall:

• I think WGP would be enough of a lesson for this year. All the players say in interviews that they treat this tournament very seriously. But WCh is an event where you go to get medals, not lessons, once again, my opinion)

That's why it's good for NT to have Gamova back for WCH although I wrote that could be unfair for hard working girl like Malykh, anyway Gamova still adds a lot of power to the team and she proved in Kazan that she's still a leader ^^