USA NT 2014

• 2014 USANT Schedule

• May 15-18: FIVB World Championship NORCECA Qualifier, Colorado Springs, Colo.
    • May 27-June 1: Montreux Volley Masters, Montreux Switzerland
    • June 10-21: Pan American Cup, Mexico City, Mexico
    • July 3-13: USA Volleyball Cup with Brazil, four matches at sites TBA
    • Aug. 1-3: FIVB World Grand Prix Weekend #1: vs. Japan, Russia and Turkey at TBA
    • Aug. 8-10: FIVB World Grand Prix Weekend #2: vs. Brazil, Russia and Korea at Sao Paulo, Brazil
    • Aug. 15-17: FIVB World Grand Prix Weekend #3: vs. Brazil, Dominican Republic and Thailand at Thailand
    • Aug. 20-24: FIVB World Grand Prix at Tokyo, Japan (top four teams in top tier, plus second tier winner and host)

The NT is currently evaluating recent college graduates and some current college/high-school athletes while the main athletes are wrapping up their professional season.

TRAINING GROUP ROSTER

Lauren Plum (S) - 1.74 - 1992
    Molly Kreklow (S) - 1.83 - 1992
    Sydney Gedryn (S) - 1.80 - 1992
    Hayley Hodson (OH) - 1.90 - 1996
    Kat Luft (OH) - 1.86 - 1990
    Tia Scambray (OH) - 1.83 - 1996
    Haley Eckerman (OH) - 1.89 - 1992
    Maddie Martin (OH) - 1.88 - 1992
    Taylor Simpson (OH) - 1.92 - 1993
    Kelsey Robinson (OH) - 1.88 - 1992
    Kelly Reeves (OH) - 1.82 - 1992
    Nicole Davis (L) - 1.67 - 1982
    Natalie Hagglund (L) - 1.74 - 1992
    Betsi Metter (L) - 1.78 - 1992
    Kylin Munoz (OPP) - 1.86 - 1990
    Bailey Webster (OPP) - 1.92 - 1991
    Alexis Olgard (MB) - 1.98 - 1991
    Alexis Mathews (MB) - 1.92 - 1991
    Katie Slay (MB) - 2.01 - 1991
    Chloe Ferrari (MB) - 1.86 - 1992

• Core USANT 2014 Roster (From USAV)

1. Alisha Glass (S) - 1.84cm - 1988 - Fenerbache Instanbul
    2. Carli Lloyd (S) - 1.80cm - 1989 - Imoco Volley Conegliano
    3. Courtney Thompson (S) - 1.70cm - 1984 - Voléro Zürich
    4. Jenna Hagglund (S) - 1.78cm - 1989 - Rote Raben Vilsbiburg
    5. Jordan Larson-Burbach (OH) - 1.88cm - 1986 - Dinamo Kazan
    6. Kristin Richards-Hildebrand (OH) - 1.85cm - 1985 - AMIL Campinas
    7. Megan Hodge-Easy (OH) - 1.91cm - 1988 - Guangdong Evergrande
    8. Cassidy Lichtman (OH) - 1.85cm - 1989 - Lokomotiv Baku
    9. Kim Hill (OH) - 1.93cm - 1989 - Atom Trefl Sopot
    10. Lauren Gibbemeyer (MB) - 1.87cm - 1988 - Imoco Volley Conegliano
    11. Rachel Adams (MB) - 1.88cm - 1990 - Tauron Banimex Dąbrowa Górnicza
    12. Christa Harmotto (MB) - 1.88cm - 1986 - Eczacıbaşı VitrA Istanbul
    13. Foluke Akinradewo (MB) - 1.91cm - 1987 - Rabita Baku
    14. Lauren Paolini (MB) - 1.93cm - 1987 - Hitachi Rivale
    15. Destinee Hooker-Coulter (OPP) - 1.93cm - 1987 - Criollas de Caguas
    16. Juliann Faucette (OPP) - 1.88cm - 1989 - Guangdong Evergrande
    17. Kelly Murphy (OPP) - 1.88cm - 1989 - Igor Gorgonzola Novara
    18. Nicole Fawcett (OPP) - 1.91cm - 1986 - Leonas de Ponce
    19. Nicole Davis (L) - 1.67cm - 1982 - Dinamo Romprest Bucureşti
    20. Tamari Miyashiro (L) - 1.70cm - 1987 - Rote Raben Vilsbiburg
    21. Danielle Scott-Arruda (MB) - 1.88cm - 1972 - Brasília Volei
    22. Alaina Bergsma (OPP) - 1.90cm - 1990 - Minas Tenis Clube
    23. Regan Hood (OH) - 1.88cm - 1983 - İlbank Ankara
    24. Cursty Jackson (MB) - 1.88cm - 1990 - Rabita Baku
    25. Kayla Banwarth (L) - 1.78cm - 1989 Rabita Baku
    26. Natalie Hagglund (L) - 1.74cm - 1992 - University of Southern California
    27. Sonja Newcombe (OH) - 1.82cm - 1988 - Tyumen-TSU
    28. Caitlyn Donahue (S) - 1.75cm - 1990 -Sm’Aesch Pfeffingen

Players I Think Deserve a Shot:
    -Alexis Crimes (MB) - 1.91cm - 1986 - Lokomotiv Baku
    -Nellie Spicer (S) - 1.75cm - 1987 - Guohua Life Shanghai
    -Ariel Turner (OH) - 1.86cm - 1991 - Nantes VF
    -Gina Mancuso (OH) - 1.83cm - 1991 - Rabita Baku
    -Becky Perry (OH) - 1.91cm - 1988 - Dresdner SC
    -Lauren Cook (S) - 1.73cm - 1991 - Mets de Guaynabo
    -Kanani Danielson (OH) - 1.78cm - 1990 - Toyota Auto Body Queenseis
    -Bailey Webster (OPP) - 1.92cm - 1991 - University of Texas

• Pretty much all of the training roster will not be there for the summer and actual national team events. The only one who I really see staying around is Natalie Hagglund.

Also I know for sure that Nellie Spicer will not be returning to the National team. She has been there before, but I think she is done with USA NT. Which is too bad because I think she is extremely talented.

Becky Perry was there last summer but was released after a month or two. After her injury I really doubt that she will return to the NT.

Also I am about 99% sure that Sonja Newcombe will be on the NT. She was there last summer and was even on some of the preliminary rosters for NORCECA and other events. I am not sure why they don't include her in the updates, maybe because its hard to get her information from Russia.

As for the other potentials I agree they are all solid players, but not sure there are really any openings within the current team.

• Hmm...I'm not sure USAV wants to send their core squad

Hmm...not so sure USAV wants to send their core group to something like Montreux which has no influence on ranking and is a relatively small tournament. I hope Kiraly decides to send some of the newer girls. I want my girl Kanani there :love: but I think Gina Mancuso and Natalie Hagglund should be given a chance as well. I like Olgard and Slay as MBs; they are both extremely tall but IMO Olgard is still a little awkward with her movement and Slay's attacking... :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Lauren Plum (S) - 1.74 - 1992
    Molly Kreklow (S) - 1.83 - 1992
    Sydney Gedryn (S) - 1.80 - 1992
    Hayley Hodson (OH) - 1.90 - 1996
    Kat Luft (OH) - 1.86 - 1990
    Tia Scambray (OH) - 1.83 - 1996
    Haley Eckerman (OH) - 1.89 - 1992
    Maddie Martin (OH) - 1.88 - 1992
    Kelly Reeves (OH) - 1.82 - 1992
    Nicole Davis (L) - 1.67 - 1982
    Natalie Hagglund (L) - 1.74 - 1992

Betsi Metter (L) - 1.78 - 1992
    Kylin Munoz (OPP) - 1.86 - 1990
    Bailey Webster (OPP) - 1.92 - 1991
    Alexis Olgard (MB) - 1.98 - 1991
    Alexis Mathews (MB) - 1.92 - 1991
    Katie Slay (MB) - 2.01 - 1991
    Chloe Ferrari (MB) - 1.86 - 1992

These layers bolded can be part in smaller competitions at least.

• I don't expect any of the top players to play until at least July when they host Brazil. Montreux and the other smaller tournaments will almost assuredly be a mix of rookie players with a few veterans mixed in. They host Panama, Guatemala and Honduras I think at the WCH qualifier which the USA Sub-14 could beat :) so I would expect the entire roster for that tournament to be rookies as well.

In response to SoloBlock's post, if true about Spicer, it's a real shame. After how well she played in China this year and how quick the USANT wants to run the offense these days it's unfortunate she's not giving it another go. I think she could definitely compete for a spot this quad.

As per Becky Perry, prior to her injury she was dominating the German League. Last summer with the NT she was still rehabbing her shoulder and wasn't 100% and now with this knee injury I'm not sure if we'll get to see her with the NT due to her injuries but if you saw her play this year there is no way she doesn't deserve a chance to be in the gym this summer, especially when players like Faucette and Lichtman are there.

• I don't expect any of the top players to play until at least July when they host Brazil. Montreux and the other smaller tournaments will almost assuredly be a mix of rookie players with a few veterans mixed in. They host Panama, Guatemala and Honduras I think at the WCH qualifier which the USA Sub-14 could beat :) so I would expect the entire roster for that tournament to be rookies as well.

In response to SoloBlock's post, if true about Spicer, it's a real shame. After how well she played in China this year and how quick the USANT wants to run the offense these days it's unfortunate she's not giving it another go. I think she could definitely compete for a spot this quad.

As per Becky Perry, prior to her injury she was dominating the German League. Last summer with the NT she was still rehabbing her shoulder and wasn't 100% and now with this knee injury I'm not sure if we'll get to see her with the NT due to her injuries but if you saw her play this year there is no way she doesn't deserve a chance to be in the gym this summer, especially when players like Faucette and Lichtman are there.

I wanted to write about Spicer some days ago.. whatever happened to her.. I guess Berg coming back and she getting out of the picture she did not want to try again... I think she would have been a better option for London that Thompson, with all respect to her.

• My USA NT 2014

Glass - Lloyd
    Harmotto - Akinradewo - Gibbemeyer
    Larson - Hodge - Hilldebrand - Hill
    Hooker - Murphy
    Davis - Miyashiro

• My USA NT 2014

Glass - Lloyd
    Harmotto - Akinradewo - Gibbemeyer
    Larson - Hodge - Hilldebrand - Hill
    Hooker - Murphy
    Davis - Miyashiro

I would agree only change would be liberos.. I don't wanna see Davis nor Myashiro. Kyla should be main libero, as for that girl Natalie that everyone says is great, i haven't seen her but maybe she is worth the try..

Of course I wanna see Logan back.. If she decides then Hill we probably go.. And I don't think Hodge will be be a starter unfortunately... USA doesn't seem to like to play with an attacking OH at least not after Glass since Hugh came in. And Kristin has improved her passing but we'll see

• Is Klineman going to be back in NT?

Klineman is serving a one year suspension for her doping violation and is not eligible.

• But her suspension lasts until April, so she could play after that

Her suspension ends June 22, 2014. It's definitely a possibility. She was in the USA gym before and I don't see why she wouldn't be invited.

• What was the reason for that Hill has played surprisingly well during summer with NT however she is a real disappointment in Poland with her club :what:

By the way, except Harmotto and Akinradewo's slot, competition for 3rd MB position will be really tough. Jackson, Crimes, Gibbemeyer, Paolini, Adams... All of them are very good MBs and can be starter in most of top NT including ours :rolleyes:

I am curious about libero Hagglund. Is she sister of setter Jenna? Libero position has been the weakest slot of USA NT since Sykora quit :S

• What was the reason for that Hill has played surprisingly well during summer with NT however she is a real disappointment in Poland with her club :what:

I am curious about libero Hagglund. Is she sister of setter Jenna? Libero position has been the weakest slot of USA NT since Sykora quit :S

I agree that Hill underwhelmed during the pro season. In fact, I think Hood, Lichtman, and Hill could all easily be replaced by a few of the other players I mentioned earlier. The aforementioned three OH's don't do anything spectacularly that I don't think could be performed by another player.

There is no relation between Jenna and Natalie Hagglund. Just same last names like Kim and Alisha Glass :) I think Hagglund should definitely be given a shot, but like most American liberos she is a much better defender than she is a receiver. I would love for the USA to produce a solid receiving libero! :S But hopefully she'll evolve at the next level.

• Another player I'd like to see being given a chance is Ashley Benson. She is one of the best MBs in German league and the outstanding player of her team. She has a very big variety of attacks and is also a decent blocker, I think she's not weaker than for example Adams.

Becky Perry will spend the summer recovering from her knee injury, otherwise I'm pretty sure she would have been there. She's a bad receiver but her attacking has been absolutely amazing in the matches when she was in top shape. I hope she'll get back to that shape next season, she still has plenty of time to make a good career.

• Gibbemeyer, Paolini, Jessica Jones, Jackson and Benson should find more space during the summer, considering both Akinradewo and Harmotto may miss part of the competitions. I can't see Crimes among them. Her season in Azerbaigian was poor. Gibbemeyer wasn't doing great there too, but now she's back to her best in Conegliano. Adams is not as strong as the others.

For outside hitters beside Logan Tom and Jordan Larson I'd call Newcome, Mancuso, Lichtman, Fonoimoana, Danielson and Hodge. USA has a good number of international level OHs! Hill was poor this season. Faucette will never be a good player for NT. Klineman maybe, but she's too weak a receiver.

For the opposite Hooker first choice, no doubt, then Murphy and Fawcett.

My setters are Alisha Glass and Lindsey Berg. Maybe Jenna Hagglund or Spicer can have some chance waiting for the best Berg. Lloyd is poor during this season.

Libero position Natalie Hagglund first choice. Then Miyashiro, she is a very strong passer and Banwart. Davis had a poor season in Romania, most of all because her team wasn't at her level, and she also left the team halfway...

I worried about USA for this summer, half of the main team is injured! I hope they could reach their top for the World Grand Prix and the World Championships.

• I agree that Hill underwhelmed during the pro season. In fact, I think Hood, Lichtman, and Hill could all easily be replaced by a few of the other players I mentioned earlier. The aforementioned three OH's don't do anything spectacularly that I don't think could be performed by another player.

There is no relation between Jenna and Natalie Hagglund. Just same last names like Kim and Alisha Glass :) I think Hagglund should definitely be given a shot, but like most American liberos she is a much better defender than she is a receiver. I would love for the USA to produce a solid receiving libero! :S But hopefully she'll evolve at the next level.

I don't think she played that great.. In the first week she surprised us all cuz she was a tall OH who passed decently and attacked some balls.. The first weekend she played OK, as the weeks were passing she was worse and worse.. I am not judging since she is a converted OH from MB.. but she has a poor attacking approach, she is a very very bad defender.. I watched her even live with USA against Serbia and she was so poor in defense.. she doesn't know where to stand or she can't reach for any ball when she has to run for it..

However I think she has potential maybe she'll improve, she's young. My point was not dissing her, but saying she was not really performing that great, that's the reason for her bad season.

• Why do you wanna see Berg back in NT. Don't get me wrong she ran USA offense so great in 2011-2012 but she has been inactive for a whole season now, and she played only half of the last. USA has another group of talented setters.. as you mentioned. I wrote somewhere that I thought Carli was underperforming, but you think the same.. I agree, what I don't agree on is not having her in NT. I would like to see her as second setter.. maybe she'll get back to her 'Busto-self :D ' so she can do miracles..