Dominican Republic NT 2014-15

• Lisvel Eve in local press, unfortunately in Spanish :(
    http://issuu.com/beatrizlassis…ssuu/1?e=11452656/8548228

I hope that she'll be back in shape and she maybe will be back in NT in next year :roll: Vargas is 33 years old, so she can play until Rio, but later NT will need experienced MB because they have still young Arias and Fersola (no more Rondon please :D). Eve can fill this gap, moreover she can be used on left wing as an alternative for De La Cruz/River/Pena :wavy:

Thanks for sharing this. :thumbup:

The interview starts with her talking about her nickname Kiara (she said a friend of her decided to start calling her like that, cause she reminded of someone he knew with that name, and the nickname sticked. She also told her other nickname La China, comes from childhood...also her dad had similar nickname (Lo Chino).

Then she tells a bit of the beginning of her career...then playing Olympic Games, what meant to her, that stuff..

About her injury she told she was afraid that could be the end of her career, and that she was really bad after what happened, she had ugly thoughts and everything, but eventually she started taking positive things from it. About the recovery she said she does exactly what the doctors tell her to do...without being desperate to return, she trusts God's time.

She said that if everything keeps going as it is now, she will probably be back to court in the end of this year. And she dreams of going back to NT and playing Olympic Games. ;)

• Thanks for summary of text Joana :thumbsup: :flower:
    It would be wonderful to see Lisvel back on courts :roll: I hope that her recovery is going in right direction ^^

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• As far as I remember Eve was "Lisvel Elisa Eve Mejia". Maybe she has on jersey Eve-Castillo because got married ?( Wikipedia claims that she did.

"Eve is married with the Olympic boxer Gilbert Lenin Castillo." (from wikipedia)

And I don't know on which position she'll play, but MB is more probable than OH. She would be a sub as OH because there are Rivera (30) and De La Cruz (27) and place of Rivera probably will be taken by Yonkaira Pena (21). Meanwhile Annerys Vargas (33) may retire soon (maybe after Olympic Games...), so Eve in good shape can be starting MB without any doubts because she's more experienced than both Arias and Fersola, she was in NT at the age of 16 :D

• Republica Dominicana will play some matches against Spain NT next 15, 17 and 20 May. Matches will be broadcasted

Dominican Players:

Brayelin Elizabeth Martínez
    Priscilla Rivera
    Jineiry Martínez
    Erasma Moreno
    Gina Mambrú
    Lisvel Elisa Eve
    Niverka Marte
    Marianne Fersola
    Camil Domínguez
    Cándida Arias
    Winifer Fernandez
    Ana Binet

Spain Players:

María Schlegel
    Jéssica Rivero
    Milagros Collar
    María José Corral
    Helia González
    Ana Correa
    María Segura
    Isabel Guerra
    Amelia Portero
    Ana Muller
    Mireya Delgado
    Paula Pérez
    Alba Sánchez
    María Figueroa
    Danira Costa
    Anna Espadalé
    Sara Folgueira
    Patricia Llabrés

• We have some missing names as I see, roster looks this, having players on each position:
    S: Marte, Dominguez
    OP: Mambru
    OH: B. Martinez (also OP), Rivera, Eve-Castillo (also MB/OP), Moreno
    MB: Arias, Fersola, J. Martinez
    L: Binet, Fernandez

Lisvel Eve is back :thumbup: this time probably we can see her more as WS, but she can be useful as MB, if she is able to be back in old shape :roll:

No Yonkaira Pena (OH), Rosalin Angeles (S), Sidarka Nunez (OP), Jeoselina Rodiguez (;() (OP/OH), Annerys Vargas (MB), Marifranchi Rodriguez (MB) and the biggest absences De La Cruz (OH/OP) with Castillo (L) :wavy:

it seems that Cindy Rondon as MB is given up idea, I wonder if Dahiana Burgos (OH/OP) wants to come back :roll: I heard that she is back on courts again ^^
    I stopped counting Carla Echenique (S) here because she's playing as local player in Puerto Rico :wavy:

it's quite interesting if most old names return or if we see more younger players like Gaila Gonzalez (OP), Natalia Martinez (OH), Pamela Soriano (OH) or Celenia Toribio (S)

• Lisvel Eve is back :thumbup: this time probably we can see her more as WS, but she can be useful as MB, if she is able to be back in old shape :roll:

Eve played as OH for Mirador in Club WCH but unfortunately she was nowhere near her old shape :( She lost weight but she hardly jumps and can't score, she doesn't seem to have full confidence in her leg yet...

• Is Jeoselna healthy? As i remember she had some kind of injury

Another injury ?( she had injury in last year... ;(

• Interesting Domonican roster during Pan-Am Cup:

S: Niverka Marte, Rosalin Angeles
    OP: Gina Mambru, Brayelin Martinez
    OH: Prisilla Rivera, Lisvel Eve-Castillo (also MB), Yonkaira Pena, Erasma Moreno, Ana Binet (back row)
    MB: Marianne Fersola, Cindy Rondon
    L: Brenda Castillo, Winifer Fernandez

Comparing with American qualifications for World Cup we have some absences: Camil Dominguez (S), Bethania De La Cruz (OH/OP), Jineiry Martinez (MB) and Candida Arias (MB). Also Annerys Vargas (MB) isn't here, maybe she will be back for WC...

Surprisingly we see Angeles and Rondon back because of lack of other players.
    I wonder if WS like Nunez, J.Rodriguez or Burgos can be back :whistle:

• DOM shirt names are soooo confusing (like CUB).

annerys valdez shirt says "vargas"

jineiry martinez shirt says "valdez"

and now yonkaira's says "pena-isabel". did she get married?

who's rosalin angeles? is she the really tall setter?

kwiek is a very creative coach. didn't he have annerys and fersola play OH before?

• Dominican team is sometimes funny and ridiculous :wavy:
    they have problems with shirts indeed, but it is because they are so mean and players often play in jerseys with bad names :mad:

about some confusing names, we have:
    Annerys Vargas Valdez - it's ok
    Yonkaira Paola Pena Isabel - it's also ok, her main name is Pena, Yonkaira is first name :D
    Jineiry Martinez - Vargas is not ok, that's problem with jersey - she played with this for Vargas... :whistle:

Rosalin Angeles is quite tall S indeed - according to FIVB she's 189 cm tall ^^

• about pena: i was confused with the isabel on the shirt name. did she get married?

i only watched a little bit of the montreux matches, and i thought jineiry martinez was very promising, and she's only 19. at one point, she came in against GER and had 4 blocks in a row!

don't know erasma moreno much, will have to see.

i think both yonkaira pena and brayelin martinez can both be big hitters for DOM if they can only improve their passing, basic technique and blocking. they are tall and big hitters but often clunky. pena is copying pri rivera and turning into a dink queen.

eve-castillo as OH is a mess… she is getting very few kills.

• I don't think that Pena got married - she was always Yonkaira Paola Pena Isabel :D

Jineiry Martinez is a good prospect indeed, but she can be older - we had cases, in which Dominican just switched ages of few players :what: Castillo and Nunez are examples :wavy:

Moreno is new here, IMHO she found place because few others like Nunez, Rodriguez or Burgos are out :tzz:

agree about both Pena and Martinez, but I don't know, on which position Kwiek sees Brayelin - she is sometimes used as OP and sometimes as OH...

Lisvel Eve is after serious injuries and I think that she still needs time to be in better shape, although I worry that she may be not as good as she was... but she played better as MB overall :D though she can be also OH/OP - she was rather a mess on this position also in the past, but was better hitter...

• ok, it's just that her shirt before always said "pena" and now it's hyphenated, so i was just wondering…

just finished watching the match vs. GER. how does this team that finished joint 5th at the WCh. play like this? how sad… getting beat by a B team like GER (and the overall montreux performance). although i must say, kwiek seems to be using montreux to do his experimenting, like last year. DOM was a mess at montreux with pena and martinez as passing OH, but then they go and finish 5th at Wch.

moreno has only one shot: sharp cross court. sometimes she gets a kill, but also too many errors. still she has potential.

also camil dominguez is very promising. she's good, not quite excellent yet, but good.

now, i always wonder, why do the DOM players not focus on basics: passing, setting, digging, etc. with their size and height, they should be so much better. if they spent less time with the hair and makeup… maybe they should imitate THA, who has such good skills (to compensate for lack of height).