Japan NT 2014

• In new system in NT called MB1 we have Saori and Risa as classic OHs and Ebata as OP ^^. Others tried on wings are Ishii, Takada and Uchiseto. As false MBs they're trying Ishida, Nagaoka and Sakoda while normal MBs are Yamaguchi, Iwasaka and Ohno. For S we have Nakamichi and Miyashita, while L are Sano and Tsutsui.

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• Well, its quite funny how the Japanese MBs work out. Yamaguchi is probably the smallest MB although she does very well in slide attacks, last year Japan had plenty of problems on MB position since none of them could score more than 5 points per match, So I expect her to play as starter this year. Iwasaka was given enough chances but never used them, I don't think she has more potentials than what was already proved...Well, she's a tall blocker but that's it.

Nagaoka is an okay player and attacks well through the middle and also in Zone 2, but as a blocker she lacks good skills. She simply can't follow blocks...

Ohno seems to be the most promising young MB among the whole roster.

• Japanese roster for WGP 1st round.

S : Nakamichi, Miyashita
    OPP : Ebata, Shinnabe
    MB : Yamaguchi, Ohno, Nagaoka
    OH : Kimura, Takada, Ishii, Ishida, Uchiseto
    L : Sano, Tsutsui

• Japanese roster for WGP 1st round.

S : Nakamichi, Miyashita
    OPP : Ebata, Shinnabe
    MB : Yamaguchi, Ohno, Nagaoka
    OH : Kimura, Takada, Ishii, Ishida, Uchiseto
    L : Sano, Tsutsui

No surprises. the same team played in Yeltsin Cup and in Italy ^^ anyway players from NT shouldn't be divided into OHs and OPs, maybe without Ebata who's playing as regular OP right now ^^ Shinnabe, Takada, Ishii and Uchiseto can play both as OH and OP, while I expect that Ishida can be another "false MB" next to Nagaoka becuase she was also tried there :wavy:

• I wonder why Nana didn't make the coach's list. She's now the best Japanese MB. Injured or what?

• Nana Iwasaka is the best japanese MB? I hope you're kidding :white: She may be a bit helpful in blocks, but she can't simply make points by attacking...plus she's slow and can't follow the blocks when the setter of her opponent plays with fast balls. She's not injuried, It was obviously the coach's decision. IMO, Yamaguchi and Ohno are better MBs than her, she's only about her height, besides she was given so many chances and she never used them...

• It's strong roster. However, I don't understand Arisa Sato's absence, she was very good defence player. :win:

Nana is very good blocker, but her attack is too weak for international level. But, I'm surprised that Riho Ohtake isn't in the roster. What do you think about her absence?

Gold Medal - Prediction Game - Men's - Olympic Games 2012
    Gold Medal - Prediction Game - Men's - European Championship 2015
    Silver Medal
    - Prediction Game - Women's - Olympic Games 2012

がんばれ 日本!

• Oh, I forgot about one case. I don't understand why Mr Manabe still believes in M.Ishida and M.Uchiseto. Mizuho was only reserve player in Hisamitsu Springs during this season and Uchiseto was still blocked in Montreux... ?(

Gold Medal - Prediction Game - Men's - Olympic Games 2012
    Gold Medal - Prediction Game - Men's - European Championship 2015
    Silver Medal
    - Prediction Game - Women's - Olympic Games 2012

がんばれ 日本!

• Given the MB choices Iwasaka had the best numbers in the V-League last year.
    Yamaguchi is a veteran and can be depended on.

Still I can't see Japan doing the World Championships with 2 MBs, it will not work blocking against taller teams.

• It is now official, it is not MB1 anymore, it is Hybrid 6.
    Picture

He said sometimes they'll have 2 Middle Blockers, sometimes 1, and even 0. He also said that "Japan's team is short, so they are going to try everything to win."

I just see this as a ridiculous move. You need to block some balls to win. Digging helps, but the players who have not been middles do not get the timing down for blocking.

Out of 12 teams in Group 1, Japan was 9th with 72 blocks in 37 sets, so less than 2 blocks a set. Japan was 11th in Blocking Faults with 107, so just under 3 a set. And Japan tied Serbia for 4th with 222 rebounds, 6 per set. So Japan was touching 8 shots a set, potentially 8 points.

Turkey led in blocks with 125 in 39 sets, 3.21 and 173 rebounds, 4.44 or 7.65 shots a set.

China was (116+290)/36=11.28 shots a set
    Brazil was at 12.8=(117+267)/30

Japan's leading blockers were Miyashita and Nagaoka at 13 blocks. Miyashita had 43 rebounds, leading the team, so 56/37=1.51 shots per set
    Nagaoka was at (13+17)=30/37=.81 shots per set
    Yamaguchi was at (10+21)=31/37=.84 shots per set

I just think that Manabe wants to try something different because he can say, I won you medals in London and 2010 World Championships. The JVA believes in him, so he's free to try some, what I think are, stupid ideas. He is trying to put as many spikers on the court as he can, but forgetting that blocks count as points too (even affecting opponent shots).

• Japan's final roster for WCH 2014.

S : Hitomi Nakamichi, Haruka Miyashita
    MBs : Mai Yamaguchi, Kana Ono
    Opposite Hitters : Yuki Ishii, Yukiko Ebata
    Outside Hitters : Saori Kimura(Captain), Risa Shinnabe, Arisa Takada
    Hybrid MBs : Miyu Nagaoka, Saori Sakoda, Mizuho Ishida
    Liberos : Arisa Sato, Sayaka Tsutsui

Mami Uchiseto didn't make the cut.

• Sakoda is back :dance4: pity that Sano isn't there ;(