Russian NT 2015

• I see...just cause I saw a tweet from volleywood talking about a russian volleyball couple geting splited, and imagine their were talking about them...hehehehe not that there is anything really important about that.. :P

Yes, but they are separated obviously, she took off all Obmochaev's photos from her instagram. I still wonder what was the rush to change her beautiful Goncharova surname into that terrible-sounded Obmochaeva.

• Yes, but they are separated obviously, she took off all Obmochaev's photos from her instagram. I still wonder what was the rush to change her beautiful Goncharova surname into that terrible-sounded Obmochaeva.

Agree. But we have the opposite case. Makhno into Evdokimova ;) I like her married name better.

• It's only a few days ahead to Yeltsin Cup. I confess that, since the announcement of Kutiukova's absence, I'm a bit sad about the Russian NT. I was expecting Kutya to make an real impact this season.

But we need to move on. The great enigma in the team is Biryukova. She arrived in the NT after a season where she began in the bench of the worst team in the SL - Voronezh, and ended as the best receiver in the final, playing quite well indeed. I'm still skeptical about her potential, but she's young, so, who knows? About a year ago, Kristin Hill was treated like trash by many people here, and then, few months later, she was the MVP in the WCH.

If Biryukova's potential is for real, she'll be a very important player in the future. She combines size (about 1'93"cm) with agility, something hard to find. More or less like Hill.

PS: Semisonic, is good to read from you again. You're our Russian Connection here. Please, stay in tune.

• Not Kristin, but Kimberly Hill :D

It's a big pity that Kutyukova can't be in NT once again and I wonder how will develop Biryukova in the future :roll:

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• russia women's volley fan :drink:
    I'm also VERY sceptical on Biryukova's chances in NT. Not only she began the season on Voronezh's bench, she pretty much spent it there. And then yes, she a had a couple of good games in the finals, but does it make her NT player? I doubt it. And I don't think she has a good technic in reception, so consistency will definitely be lacking. On the other hand nowdays in Russia we don't have a single player with good reception, even liberos are all bad. So Biryukova being young could impove, so maybe this expirience will do her good.
    Very sad about Kutya, how unlucky is she. Also my favorite young player Rita Kurilo decided to become a mother early in her career, like many Russian players, I hope she'll come back to develop her game.

• russia women's volley fan :drink:
    I'm also VERY sceptical on Biryukova's chances in NT. Not only she began the season on Voronezh's bench, she pretty much spent it there. And then yes, she a had a couple of good games in the finals, but does it make her NT player? I doubt it. And I don't think she has a good technic in reception, so consistency will definitely be lacking. On the other hand nowdays in Russia we don't have a single player with good reception, even liberos are all bad. So Biryukova being young could impove, so maybe this expirience will do her good.
    Very sad about Kutya, how unlucky is she. Also my favorite young player Rita Kurilo decided to become a mother early in her career, like many Russian players, I hope she'll come back to develop her game.

Yes, i was very surprised not to see Kurilo in NT.. Then the news came out.. I though she was promising

• Kondzio, thanks for the correction. You know, I have a terrible tendency to confuse names. I probably switched Hill's first name for Hildebrand's.

Semisonic, I agree about Biryukova. Also, I neither understand all the "hype" around Olesia Nikolaeva. Gilyazudinov and Pankov praise her all the time, but I don't see nothing special in her. Her game vaguelly remind's me of Scherban's, but still in a quite lower level - and I'm not a Scherban's enthusiast either.

About Kutyukova, I know she's unlucky, but we need to keep the faith. So, next year in Rio, Kutya will astonish the world! Wait and see.

• Kondzio, thanks for the correction. You know, I have a terrible tendency to confuse names. I probably switched Hill's first name for Hildebrand's.

Semisonic, I agree about Biryukova. Also, I neither understand all the "hype" around Olesia Nikolaeva. Gilyazudinov and Pankov praise her all the time, but I don't see nothing special in her. Her game vaguelly remind's me of Scherban's, but still in a quite lower level - and I'm not a Scherban's enthusiast either.

About Kutyukova, I know she's unlucky, but we need to keep the faith. So, next year in Rio, Kutya will astonish the world! Wait and see.

Oh.. I thought Nikolaeva is like a teen and now saw she is born 1994. Well I thank case I don't see anything special in her either.. There are players of her generation which are on much higher level

• Russian girls getting ready for European Games 2015. Malkova, Bavykina and Nikolaeva are beautiful :cheesy:

• After the recently concluded Yeltsin Cup, I do not think we can formally
    make conclusions on how Russia's A team is performing (they were
    expected to win gold anyway seeing the absence of strong teams). On
    hindsight, I wonder if it were a better decision for Russia's A team to
    play in the European games, and for the B team to play in the Yeltsin
    Cup. Kosheleva not recovering in time for the first leg of GP would hurt
    Russia obviously, but I think this is the time to try new OH
    combinations. But nonetheless, below are my observations:

OPPS:

Obmochaeva(or do we start calling her Goncharova if the rumors are true :whistle:
    ) - she seems to have picked up from the great shape she had in club
    season, definitely she's in better shape than the disaster she was in
    last year's Grand Prix; as expected she will still be the main offensive
    power (along with Kosheleva if the latter will recover in time)

Malykh
    - to be honest I don't she will be used that much (maybe against
    "weaker" teams?), Goncha has more power, faster and a better blocker

OHS:

Ilchenko
    - I have to admit I haven't seen this girl play before being invited to
    the Nt this year; she seems to be a capable attacker that i can say
    much; I'm not too sure though if she can help with the team's reception,
    that we'll see

Pasynkova - even against "weaker" teams, her
    spikes still lack power, I think she relies more on placement than power
    in her spikes; not sure what advantage she would have besides being
    taller than Ilchenko

Biryukova - she didn't get as much playing time and for that reason, I can't comment further re her performance

MBs:

Fetisova
    - she will be starting MB if only for her good blocking skills; she
    still needs to improve her attack, she seems to prefer/ more effective
    on the slide than to attack in front of the setter though

Lyubushkina
    - other members here have pointed out that she had a great club season
    in Italy but in the few games I have seen her play, I don't see anything
    special with her??

Efimova/Orlova - used very sparingly (if at all)

Shlayakovaya/Samolyenko
    - If I'm not mistaken I don't think she ever got to play the entire
    tournament, I really liked Natsya pre-injury and hope we can see her
    back to her old form

Setter:

Kosianenko - used extensively
    throughout the tournament and in fairness to her, she sets the middles
    frequently; don't have any further comments except I still prefer
    Startseva :lol:

So
    in a nutshell, if we compare it to last year's WGP campaign, this team
    is more or less the same coming to this year's GP. Last year, Koshe was
    100% and Goncha was not, this year seems to be reversed :down:
    Fetisova was already starting MB last year, and I expect will be the
    same this year; MB2 maybe Lyubushkina/Orlova; the problem lies if
    Kosheleva is not able to play in the latter stages as it would surely
    hurt Russia's chances as we don't have a powerful and reliable OH, and
    as we all know, this is all how Russia plays. Lastly, with Startseva's
    mild injury I expect Kosianenko to be main setter for this Russian team

• Marichev interview: Scherban will play as libero in the GP! http://www.championat.com/voll…itogakh-kubka-elcina.html

OK, if it was Kutiukova, i'd understand - but Scherban??

He also said that Shlyakhovaya is still injured and that some players currently in the B team will move to the first NT. I don't know if it is in Nastya's place, but, IMHO, Zaryazhko certainly deserves a place in the A team. She's playing very well and can be an important weapon.

I agree with Incognito, I also don't like Lyubuchkina. USAvolleyfan wrote about it a thousand times here, but I'll repeat him: Dianskaya is much better than Lyubuchkina, but now its just history.

• Regarding Lyubushkina - I like her fast movement, she's very athletic compared to other russian MBs. I think she played great throughout Jeltsin cup, didnt she? Her blocks are not the best but she attacks very well.

Agree about Natasha Dianskaya. She had a good season in her club and I dont get at all why she's not even in the bigger picture...

• Dianskaya ended up in bech on club season, and she basically just does slide, and for me Lyubuschkina is better on it, even Podskalnaya .... but i still prefer Zayazhko and Nastya, and i'm looking forward to see Orlova

If there is no Gamova this year, i would certainly move Kosheleva to OPP and back Goncharova to OH, cause even if she is no a true OH, neither has a good pass, it is still better than Kosheleva, with the addtion of Ilchenko/Pisarenko, it looks like a good team to me

• Dianskaya ended up in bech on club season, and she basically just does slide, and for me Lyubuschkina is better on it, even Podskalnaya .... but i still prefer Zayazhko and Nastya, and i'm looking forward to see Orlova

If there is no Gamova this year, i would certainly move Kosheleva to OPP and back Goncharova to OH, cause even if she is no a true OH, neither has a good pass, it is still better than Kosheleva, with the addtion of Ilchenko/Pisarenko, it looks like a good team to me

Russian MBs have always been good "sliders" Tishchenko, Morozova comes to mind (Malkova in the new generation is promising, but she isn't "really young" born in 1989). The problem is the real lack of MB who can attack decently in front of the setter. For that, we have Zaryazkho who is only really effective against much shorter teams since she relies more on her height and not technique. The other good one we have is Nastya S. but sadly is still not injury free. Hopefully in the near future, Fetisova will develop her slides and she is really young and will have a bright future in NT.

Although Goncharova and Kosheleva both seem "interchangeable", I don't think moving Kosheleva to OPP position would pay off very nicely. And besides, Goncharova is more effective as OPP than OH. The only time I would move the latter to OH is if Gamova was present. Speaking of opposites, Daria Isaeva from the B team really impresses me. If not only for her "height" (186cm) she would have been considered as OPP on A team (maybe as OH?). I agree with Brazildk, I would like to see Pisarenko move to A team. Assuming no Kosheleva, Ilchenko/Pisarenko seems a nice combination.

• I wonder if Marichev is ever thinking of switching some players from team B to team A, or maybe the other way.

Here are my personal thoughts about some players.

Daria Isaeva : She's playing very well so far, I've been repeating it many times that it's a big pity that there's Obmochaeva and Malykh in front of her. She's a great server and never get afraid of hitting balls thorough the blocks. If she were able to pass at least a little bit, she could be used as an offensive OH, but from what I've seen, she can't.

Irina Zaryazhko : Unfortunately she has to rely on her height, no special attacking skills. However she would be useful against smaller teams. It's still questionable though, Marichev doesn't really seem to like her.

Malkova / Podskalnaya : Both of them are good sliders but weak blockers...I hope they stay in team B.

Anastasia Bavykina / Daria Pisarenko : I think both of them deserve to play for team A. Nastya's reception is a bg question and clearly she has shown that but her attacks are worth trying, would like to see her as Kosheleva's back-up. Regarding Pisarenko, I think she's playing fairly well, not as awful as in her club. Decent reception and smart attack. But with the strong belief of Marichev towards Pasynkova and Ilchenko, I don't see big chances...so the only available spot is OH2 because there's no way Kosheleva will be taken off.