Russian NT 2015

• Russian players are very tall and have long arms, IMO that's where their advantage got from.

I'd add Isaeva to strong server list, she has got some outstanding arm swings that in general we don't see very often these days, many erros can be made, but still entertaining. Also Samoylenko is a good one, just like Fetisova. I don't think she even targets somebody, however the opponents hardly take them.

Agree about Sasha and Zenya, especially Sasha improved a lot and turned out to be a strong server.

• After watching the match between Russia and China, it's pretty clear that the weak link in the team is the OH2 position. In my opinion, Ilchenko it seems should be the first OH option. Second OH can either be Scherban/Pasynkova depending on the situation. Ombochaeva is in just pretty great shape, somehow she manages to fill the absence of Kosehleva in terms of firepower. Malova too had a superb performance, digging almost all balls :obey: The only new thing that caught my attention was Orlova. With her height, she's such a strong presence in the net and can attack decently as well and should be starting MB in this team. Whether on not Kosheleva recovers in time, it remains to be seen if Russia can address this issue along with the reception of course :lol:

• After watching the match between Russia and China, it's pretty clear that the weak link in the team is the OH2 position. In my opinion, Ilchenko it seems should be the first OH option. Second OH can either be Scherban/Pasynkova depending on the situation. Ombochaeva is in just pretty great shape, somehow she manages to fill the absence of Kosehleva in terms of firepower. Malova too had a superb performance, digging almost all balls The only new thing that caught my attention was Orlova. With her height, she's such a strong presence in the net and can attack decently as well and should be starting MB in this team. Whether on not Kosheleva recovers in time, it remains to be seen if Russia can address this issue along with the reception of course

After the 1st wekeend Grand Prix, my Russia Team for the next weeks and next competitions is:

Kosianenko - Ombochaeva
    Ilchenko - Kosheleva
    Orlova - ?
    Malova :obey:

My bests MB with Orlova is Morozova and Shlyakhovaya...

• After the 1st wekeend Grand Prix, my Russia Team for the next weeks and next competitions is:

Kosianenko - Ombochaeva
    Ilchenko - Kosheleva
    Orlova - ?
    Malova :obey:

My bests MB with Orlova is Morozova and Shlyakhovaya...

We still do not have confirmation as of this time if Kosheleva is ready and able to join the team in the next stage.. re the MBs, Morozova declined to join the NT this year for personal reasons and Natsya S. is still not fit to play unfortunately. Next to Orlova, it seems the next best MBs Russia currently have is Lyubushkina/Fetisova.

My ideal lineup w/ Kosheleva:

Kosianenko - Goncharova
    Kosheleva - Ilchenko
    Orlova - Lyubushkina/Fetisova (both are interchangeable, but Fetisova is the better blocker)
    Malova

**With Kosheleva back, Russia won't have problems killing the ball in OH position. Ilchenko as defensive OH would complement her nicely (also Pasynkova if more height is needed)

w/o Kosheleva:

Kosianenko - Malykh*
    Goncharova** - Ilchenko
    Orlova - Lyubushkina/Fetisova
    Malova

Reasoning: Since russia has a hard time killing the ball w/o a reliable, offensive OH, why not Goncharova** be converted to OH? Passing would still be non existent sure, but at least the ability to kill balls would be there. And since Malykh is quite underused at the moment, why not give her more playing time as OPP instead? Even better if changes occur and Pisarenko will be transferred to A team, she can be used as offensive OH so Goncha can remain as OPP.

Thoughts/Comments? :wavy:

• I thought the same thing but I asked if Malykh can play as OH since Goncharova is great as OPP now and wouldn't like to change that.. Hasn't Malykh been playing as OH in Zarechie?

As for the MB.. I would like Nastya S. or Morozova, but since both can't play I think till Kosheleva is back they can play with Lyubushkina since she is a far better hitter than Fetisova and can run the slide great, so that opens some one on one opportunities for the other hitters on the wings. When Kosheleva is back, there is no need her to be left with one block so Fetisova can come and make their block better

• Malykh played at least 3 times as OH in the 13/14 season and the result was awful. She's even a worse receiver than Bavykina. In the past, I had an expectation that she may try to traine reception, but she doesn't want to.

About the team, I like what I saw in the 1º week. Ilchenko was good - and, remembering her age, she can only get better; Malova returned to the 2013 shape; Orlova is a commanding MB; Goncha is in great form.

Only Lyubushkina doesn't convinces me. Against China, most of her attacks were defended, and she's limited on block - she isn't that tall and hardly jumps. Zaryazhko is doing a great season in B team, she's probably they top scorer in the Universiade. The competition ends next sunday, and I really hope that Marichev brings Zarya to the main team. I'd sack Lyubushkina, but, if Shlyakhovaya doesn't recover...

Another thing I'm liking is Marichev's attitude. Last year, most of the time, he looked absent and irritated. I even wondered if he was thinking about resign. Now he's more like in 2013: engaged with the team, talking a lot in the time outs, really present.

About Kosheleva, if somebody still doesn't know, she resumed trainning about 2 weeks ago. She'll certainly join the team in the 2º week, and I guess that, maybe, she'll be ready to play in the final round.

About Pisarenko, I don't think she can add much in attack. Overall, I see her as unstable as Scherban, though for different reasons.

I don't give a dime to the GP. All my attention is on the preparation to the World Cup. And, based on what I've seen so far, I believe that, with the additions of Kosha, Gamova, Startseva and, hopefuly, Shlyakhovaya and Zaryazhko, Russia can give at least a hard time to USA, and certainly beat China. I mean, it's fair to expect the 2º place in that tournament.

• Russia women's volley fan I agree with your observation re Malykh. She is even worse when playing as OH, but she is clearly more prolific as OPP. But now that you have confirmed Koshe is in training, this point is nonsense :lol: We have the same sentiments re Lyubushkina, she is "short" for Russian MB standards and won't repeat what has been said numerous times in this thread. You seem to have a preference with Natsya S., just curious is there something special you see in her? I remember she was very promising in 2013 pre-injury so.. Pisarenko really impressed me during EG, so hopefully she can transfer to A team so she can gain much experience playing in high level.

You seem to be quite optimistic in your last paragraph/statement, but I guess it's not too farfetched. Zenya really adds a different dimension to this team, and along with gamova where she has a great connection to, I also hope they can have a top finish in WC.

• Let me conclude the overall performance of each russian player from 1st round.

First of all I'm very happy to see Malova with such awesome shape, she was running all around the court, digging all the time, encouraging her teammates, isn't that how one excellent libero is supposed to play like? I think she's already better than Kryuchkova and Ulanova. Hope she keeps that shape and develops a bit her reception.

Regarding the MBs - Orlova played great, especially her blocks and serves were helpful, but yet, she needs to improve her attacks, a bit too slow and doesn't have good connection with Kosianenko or Efimova. This is why I suppose a good attacker like Lyubushkina should be playing at the same time. If Morozova or Samoylenko were healthy, we would have seen them in stead of her, but with the injuries of them, I think Lyubushkina is the best alternative. Zaryazhko playing a great tournament in team B, so she might get some chances to come back to team A.

Completely agree about Obmochaeva, she's been playing superb, glad to see her back like that. Last year she was like a lazy zombie, not willing to do anything, maybe Gamova's come back news had exerted a bad effect on herself. The OHs on the other hand having a big homework to solve, only Ilchenko played well, absolutely a good prospect, with this good performance of her, she definitely would be Kosheleva's OH partner. Scherban played a good match against Germany, but versus China she was so bad, same word goes to Pasyknova. Playing well against this D.R doesn't count anything IMO.

Kosianenko seems quite much balanced and confident which is a great sign for Russia, I hope she considers using the middle more often though, well, only with decent reception. I dislike Efimova in contrast, her sets were in general either horrible or not manageable, we all know how a strong hitter Malykh is and whenever she got Olga's sets, she couldn't do anything, this is what we call a disaster setter.

• But did Zaryazhko's level dropped so consistently in the last two years? I remember she was really good back in 2013...now she's playing with team B!

Personally I don't really like her, but I was wondering why she isn't so considered anymore...

• I just do not like because Marichev exchange other team. This is bad because the team does not create a face, an identity. The team needs to win and lose MAINLY together, to take shape and out of various game situations. But a mistake he ever takes the player. For me, let the whole weekend, with or without defeat, ends with Kosheleva, Ilchenko and Obmochaeva.

Pasynkova and Sherban is 28 years old and has no long life in the team. Ilchenko is the present and the future, the only player capable of replacing Sokolova in the main foundations of reception and attacker.

With Shlyakovaya recovering from his injuries and returned to the team, Russia becomes stronger with her and Orlova.

My ideal team:

Kosianenko - Ombochaeva
    Ilchenko - Kosheleva
    Orlova - Shlyakovaya
    Malova

Russia was world champion in 2010 with a player receiving (Sokolova) and other Kosheleva in the attack. Ilchenko has the potential to repeat it, and will only reach its maximum level, if you play enough.

:super:

• Orlova is not so young I believe, so I would add Fetisova to this list. IMO she and Shlyakovaya would be the main MBs of this team for years to come. Both are young and could have a bright and long career in NT. I agree with everything else, only missing is Zenya if we add Gamova to the picture. :box:

• I don't think age really matters perhaps except some players depending on their physical condition.

Pasynkova is 28 but Sherban is 26.

• Tatiana Kosheleva will join the team this weekend :drink: She's already in Kaliningrad with other girls. Ira Fetisova will be replaced due to her knee injury. Not certain how serious it is.

http://www.russiavolley.com/69…e-with-us-in-kaliningrad/

Russian roster for 2nd round in Kaliningrad.

S : Kosianenko, O.Efimova
    OPP : Obmochaeva, Malykh
    MB : Orlova, Lyubushkina, E.Efimova
    OH : Kosheleva, Pasynkova, Scherban, Ilchenko, Biryukova
    L : Malova, Kravchenko(also OH)

Ilchenko - Kosheleva - Ombochaeva :super:

But Marichev likes Pasynkova... i think she is OH starter with Kosheleva :wall:

• Goncharova a bit anxious in qualifying for GP Final Round, as according to her, it didn't bring the team good luck when they qualified, and fared badly in the other tournaments in the same year following GP.

Source: http://www.russiavolley.com/69…ot-bring-good-luck-to-us/

Well to be fair to her, I think Marichev as well is not too big on the idea in qualifying for Final 6 in USA in preparation for World Cup (arguably the most important tournament this year). Just a pity, as I think she is playing her best career in NT this year.

By the way, do we have any news if Kosheleva is skipping this GP entirely? Startseva will only be able to join the team after GP, and the condition of Shlyakhovaya's injury is still up in the air.

• According to volleyrussia's facebook page, Russia need only 1 win to qualify for the finals. The pool Russia is in this week is very tough but they can win against Belgium, even though I don't want them to advance to the finals too.

• come on guys you talk like fans but the reality is that russia has no good reciver; since liouba is not there no other player could recieve as good as here...
    the midlles are taking part more and more in the offense but it is still not good enough; to make it easier to outside hitters; russia really needs to work on the speed of it's midlle blocker.
    is gamova really coming back for the world cup;;
    goncharova is doing a great work i dont think that gamova could do better;;; in my opinion having liouba back in the court will bring more reception consistency so more offense choices to the setters.

• Russia has good receiver: Yulia Kutyukova - unfortunately she's not with NT because of injury once again :(
    Sokolova is almost 38-year-old player and IMHO she's getting worse, she's not good as sgood passer as was :wavy:

maybe Ksenia Ilchenko or Margarita Kurilo can be decent passing players in the future ^^

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• i don't agree it is not a matter of age
    here passing is still good and here stats or russian league and european cups showed that;
    setter and reception come with experience the more you have experience the better you will be.
    so i still think she could help the team at least in back reception defense .

• well, older player gets exhausted quicker and tends to make more mistakes, so as sub she can be ok, but it's better to invest in younger players :wavy: someone has to replace Sokolova right now :!:

how long will we see Sokolova or maybe even Estes in Olympic Games ? :lol: maybe we call also some older ones like Tishchenko or Vasilievskaya :D

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game