Dutch NT 2016

• ;( ;( I really hope it's nothing serious. If she can't make it and Koolhaas rejoins, that's going to be a big loss for the dutch team. Imagine either Belien or De Kruijf having a bad day and Koolhaas is the only one who could replace them...

It must be really painful to adapt for Quinta as well, only a week left for everyone's dream and an injury is disturbing her. I hate it.

• According to Google translator Quinta has a partially torn ligament in her knee. Doesn't say which ligament though...

EDIT: I checked again, it says "a little tear in the hamstring", and she is optimistic to be ready for OG.

• According to Google translator Quinta has a partially torn ligament in her knee. Doesn't say which ligament though...

EDIT: I checked again, it says "a little tear in the hamstring", and she is optimistic to be ready for OG.

The second translation is wrong, "kniepees" is the patellar ligament (between the kneecap and the shinbone), not the hamstring.

Obviously this is a bit worrying, but I'm still hopeful... And I'll still be going to Rio myself whatever happens. The players are heading over tomorrow.

http://www.volleybal.nl/nieuws…essure-quinta-steenbergen

• Dutch NT safely arrived in Rio...

No news yet concerning Quinta's injury.

• Quinta Steenbergen is most likely going to participate in the Olympic Games.
    http://m.telegraaf.nl/telesport/rio-2016/article/26337984/‘quinta-steenbergen-tijdig-fit’

Guidetti says he knows how hard she's been working to be in shape and how much she wants to be in the team, so he will take the risk since her injury should take 4 weeks to be healed. Speaking of which, it's for sure going to be painful for Koolhaas :( Someone should be cut anyway...

I think it's the best decision they could make :drink:

• What to say after the Olympics ???

The result:

Anyone who predicted a 4th place at the Olympics in October 2014 (13th place at WCH in Italy)...would have been taken to a hospital for psychologocal treatment immediately.

Even in May 2015, as Guidetti started his job, nobody would have ever predicted this result.

Now, after the tournament, everbody in Dutch volleyball-community is really disappointed concerning the result...only a 4th place.... because the team was SO close, beating China in semi's.....

Why it went wrong in semi's and in bronze medal-match? In my opinion: lack of experience at highest level/under very big pressure.

In general: volleyball is such a small sport in our country....there isn't even a professional domestic league...it is a miracle our team ended 4th...for a big part, of course, Guidetti is responsible for the result. I can't thank him enough for becoming our headcoach...grazie, Giovanni !!!!!!!!!!!!!

My notes:

Dijkema: good
    Sloetjes: very good
    De Kruijf:good
    Beliën: good
    Grothues:good
    Pietersen: very good
    Buijs:good
    Stam:very good
    Plak: good
    Stoltenborg:bad
    Steenbergen-
    Schoot: good
    Guidetti: very good (yes, I know about bronze-medal match)

The future:

Stam and Steenbergen will retire.

Stam's retirement will be a big loss. She has played excellent as libero. Both Schoot and Knip are not yet at her level.

Steenbergen has been a very reliable player. Not spectacular, but always decent level. There are ofcourse two good MBs left, but behind them is a big gap...

Also there needs to come a better substitute for Laura. Stoltenborg is simply not good enough and she will not improve anymore... Britt Bongaerts needs to develop in next years..I'm confident she will!

• Tasks for Dutch team for the next Olympic cycle:

- gain more experience (will happen automatically by playing more on high level)
    - get more depth into the roster in general, i.e. develop more young players
    - develop better setters (Dijkema is good, but they need more)
    - develop good liberos
    - Guidetti needs to control his nerves better in some situations where he harms his team, e.g. when he gets too angry about referee calls and forgets about the match, or when he makes weird tactical decisions that take away the players' confidence - doesn't happen often overall, but even the best coach in the world can still become even better

Given their development in the last 15 months, there is a bright future ahead of them :super:

• China as World Cup 2015 Champion and World Championship 2014 Vice Champion called "with no experience"..

• China as World Cup 2015 Champion and World Championship 2014 Vice Champion called "with no experience"..

NED has basically same roster from 2014 WCH. China has had lof ot changes from 2014,2015 and now 2016.

Yuan Xinyue, 19 , 3rd season with NT
    Zhu Ting , 21,3 rd season with NT
    Yang Fangxu, 21, 3rd season with NT
    Gong , 19 1st years with NT, did not play WCH and Wcup.
    Changning , 20, 2nd year with NT , did not play WCH
    Li Lin, 24, did not play WCH
    Ni Yan, 29, did play the WCH

China`s avearge age in 24...NED`s 26 :lol:

• Agree 100% with Sander... If a team keeps losing sets 29-27 or at least 25-23, it suggests they have the level to win them but lose the crucial points.

Also, rotation 1 seemed to be rather expensive, especially against China. That match could have been VERY different without losing so many of those points.

BUT... The fact that they (and maybe we) are disappointed with 4th place, losing to China and the US in the final four, shows the level they're at, and they should be very proud of what they've achieved.

• Sorry, Zhu Ting is 4th season...

My favourite roster of Chinese (in 2022)
    male NT:
    S - Yu Yao-chen, Chen Lei-yang
    OP - Jiang Chuan, Dai Qing-yao
    OH - Zhang Jing-yin, Yu Yuan-tai, Liu Li-bin, Fu Hou-wen
    MB - Zhang Zhe-jia, Peng Shi-kun, Li Yong-zhen, Jiang Zhen-yang
    L - Yang Yi-ming, Yang Tian-yuan

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu
    OP - Gong Xiang-yu, Sun Xiao-xuan
    OH - Li Ying-ying, Wang Yi-fan, Wu Meng-jie, Zhuang Yu-shan
    MB - Yuan Xin-yue, Wang Yuan-yuan, Zheng Yi-xin, Liu Yu
    L - Ni Fei-fan, Xu Jia-nan