• Serbian team for Rio 2016
    S: Maja Ognjenovic, Bojana Zivkovic
    OPP: Tijana Boskovic, Jovana Brakocevic
    OH: Jelena Nikolic, Brankica Mihajlovic, Tijana Malesevic, Bianka Busa
    MB: Milena Rasic, Stefana Veljkovic, Jovana Stevanovic
    L: Silvija Popovic

Malagurski and Cebic are out.

source: http://www.odbojka-volleyball.com/

• I knew Sanja would belong to the last cuts but it's still painful.
    I hope Serbia manage to grab a medal in Rio de Janeiro and I believe they can, pratically they have the highest chance among the 4 european squads.

• I knew Sanja would belong to the last cuts but it's still painful.
    I hope Serbia manage to grab a medal in Rio de Janeiro and I believe they can, pratically they have the highest chance among the 4 european squads.

I hope they don't choke at the Olympics this time. They are the most physical team in the competition and has the biggest potential IMO. After Russia, they are the next team I am rooting for.

• So no surprises, but still I'm sad that Malagurski didn't make the cut. In 2012 she missed the Olympics because of her injury, and even 4 years later she still isn't at her best ;(

I don't see what Busa can contribute to the team, she wasn't convincing in any element this summer, but Terzic will know why he chose her. A better choice than Molnar or Djerisilo at least...

• I wonder who's going to take the starter spot along with Rasic. Stevanovic is a splendid slider but her performance in NT hasn't been as shining as her club career. Veljkovic played awesome during the WGP both in attack and block. When Rasic and Veljkovic play together at the same time they tend to slide a little bit bur mostly hit in front of the setter as they prefer that way. I'd say Terzic has got a nice dilemma.

I'm not too convinced with Busa either, nevertheless she will for sure have a role to do and for instance if she plays as good as she did against China in WGP, that will be a jack pot, although she wouldn't have many chances to play.

• So no surprises, but still I'm sad that Malagurski didn't make the cut. In 2012 she missed the Olympics because of her injury, and even 4 years later she still isn't at her best ;(

I don't see what Busa can contribute to the team, she wasn't convincing in any element this summer, but Terzic will know why he chose her. A better choice than Molnar or Djerisilo at least...

Hopefully Busa can play the way how see played against China in the GP.
    But Malagurski could be more useful....

Really strong team, can't wait too see them in action.

• the last team who has not announced the final roster yet.
    the last but not the least, Serbia is quite strong and so many talents deserve the play in RiOG.
    i hope Cebic and the sweetie Busa could make it finally.

i may not be the tallest,
    the fastest, or the strongest,
    but at least i can do one thing better than anyone else,
    to be me...

• Nice interview with Brankica: http://zurnal.rs/odbojka/repre…e-publike-u-riju?lang=lat and as it says here: Terzic has not yet officially announced the final roster. There's also nothing on Serbian's federation site.

• I wonder who's going to take the starter spot along with Rasic. Stevanovic is a splendid slider but her performance in NT hasn't been as shining as her club career. Veljkovic played awesome during the WGP both in attack and block. When Rasic and Veljkovic play together at the same time they tend to slide a little bit bur mostly hit in front of the setter as they prefer that way. I'd say Terzic has got a nice dilemma.

I'm not too convinced with Busa either, nevertheless she will for sure have a role to do and for instance if she plays as good as she did against China in WGP, that will be a jack pot, although she wouldn't have many chances to play.

i think it's veljkovic. she's faster and way more explosive and her middle attack is just devastating as thaisa. olympics is a short tournament and you gotta start with your best players every game.

• Isn't that the official final roster?

It is now.
    http://sport.blic.rs/ostali-sp…a-ih-sve-pobedimo/bbndmzw

Terzić: We can play against everyone, we're looking for a win in every game.
    Ognjenović: We have higher ambitions than in 2008 and 2012. This team is ready for big things. I can't promise a medal, but I promise we're going to fight as hard as we can.

Poor Malagurski, though. Always getting cut in the last moment, it must be so frustrating. ;(

• Poor Sanja ;(

To be honest I never thought Nikolic would continue her career this long considering all the injuries she had been suffering with back then. Will she retire after the Olympic games?

Nicely said by Maja, 2012 was surprisingly disastrous, everyone got injured and all the bad lucks came to the team. Hopefully it will be the Gold that they are coming back home with and they deserve it.

• Terzić said that it was never more difficult for him to make the final roster because everyone performed really well in training and deserved to go to Rio. Very small things made the difference in the end.
    I hope it's at least some comfort for Sanja and Suzana. Although, I really wonder if we'll be seeing them on NT again. Ćebić has been there for 10 years, all the time, in every single competition, she's paid her dues. And it must be really heartbreaking for Malagurski to keep missing the final roster in the last moment year after year.

It will perhaps be a strange situation for Maja to be in the same place with her ex-boyfriend. I hope it will not distract her. :S And I hope Stefana Veljković won't be distracted either, as her current boyfriend Miroslav Raduljica will also be there with the basketball NT. :D

• So, who was injuried in 2008 and 2012? I don't remember, because I didn't give much attention to Serbia back then...and I always read you people talking about those injuried and I keep wondering.
    I do remember 2006 semifinal against Brazil and bronze medal match against Italy and I was very impressed by Maja at that time.

• Nobody was injured in 2008, but there was a problem between Terzić and Anja Spasojević, who was a key player in 2006-07. Then she didn't want to play at World Cup in 2007 because she was recovering from an injury and wanted to rest, Terzić disagreed, they had a fallout and she was never invited on NT again. She was by far the most popular female player in Serbia at the time, the whole thing got a lot of media attention and it dragged on for months and months, culminating when she didn't make it to the final roster for Beijing.
    But anyway, they just didn't play that well in Beijing. Vesna Čitaković recently said in an interview that they got overwhelmed by the occasion. They were just happy to be there - only 8 years before Serbia literally didn't have a women's team to speak of. Vesna said that in the beginning of her career she dreamed of just playing at the European championships some day, the Olympics seemed like climbing the Mount Everest. And then it all happened so quickly and suddenly and they didn't quite know how to deal with it.

As for 2012, basically the entire team was injured at some point during preparations. There were some days when they literally couldn't get anything done in training. They left for London in bad shape and in a bad state of mind and everything went from bad to worse there.

• Nobody was injured in 2008, but there was a problem between Terzić and Anja Spasojević, who was a key player in 2006-07. Then she didn't want to play at World Cup in 2007 because she was recovering from an injury and wanted to rest, Terzić disagreed, they had a fallout and she was never invited on NT again. She was by far the most popular female player in Serbia at the time, the whole thing got a lot of media attention and it dragged on for months and months, culminating when she didn't make it to the final roster for Beijing.
    But anyway, they just didn't play that well in Beijing. Vesna Čitaković recently said in an interview that they got overwhelmed by the occasion. They were just happy to be there - only 8 years before Serbia literally didn't have a women's team to speak of. Vesna said that in the beginning of her career she dreamed of just playing at the European championships some day, the Olympics seemed like climbing the Mount Everest. And then it all happened so quickly and suddenly and they didn't quite know how to deal with it.

As for 2012, basically the entire team was injured at some point during preparations. There were some days when they literally couldn't get anything done in training. They left for London in bad shape and in a bad state of mind and everything went from bad to worse there.

Thanks a lot for all the explanations! :win:

• but in london, they were also in the toughest bracket, with US, BRA, KOR, CHN, TUR (whereas the other bracket was ridiculous, with RUS, ITA, DOM, JPN, GBR and ALG). KOR surprised everybody and TUR was also a tough team, so SRB didn't get any easy games. i always thought that if TUR and SRB were in the other pool, they might have gotten to the QF.