Italian NT 2017

• You are totally right, that`s probably her choice ( I really did not think about that) and if she thinks this is the best for her, I will respect that.

I did not realize Club Italia wont play A1 next season. That`s a bummer, but still, A2 is really strong for their level and they will still keep improving.
    And yeah I`m sure the Clubs in A1 will think twice about signing any of them, but at the same time, I don`t think that should be a problem right?, They don`t have a problem betting on the young foreigners coming from different leagues. One example is Haak, she`s only 17, I don`t know but I`m assuming she will be a starter unless they sign a Top OPP. And there`s many other examples. But I do think Italian/Turkish teams are a little foolish sometimes, because they trust and give more chances for foreigners than local players, and a lot of times the foreigners are not that good as they think, that`s why I say they can be foolish sometimes and they dont see the potential and value on the locals.

But after all that's probably her choice:

And obviously Club Italia won't stay in A1 (but I think that – sadly, may be – the new group will grow there better than in A1).

The main problem for me will be in two season (2018-2019): how many Serie A1 teams will bet on the players coming from Club Italia (that will play Serie A2)? And probably this players they won't even have big chances with the NT, since Mazzanti said he will work with a small group of players...

• because they trust and give more chances for foreigners than local players

Yeah, that's true sometimes [for example, is Carlini (which I've never watch playing, I must admit) actually better than Cambi?] but I don't think it's a main problem now, it's not that massive and it's focused on very promising players. I'm afraid that's going to be a problem in the 2018-2019 season because of the 'Club Italia in A2' problem (remember that player from USA are also around 3-4 years older than players coming from Club Italia).

BTW, I actually don't have problems with taking in Italy young very promising foreign players like Bricio, Carlini, Haak: among the youngs they are the top of the top in the world, so It's ok for me to bet on them, as is normal to bet on Egonu or Boskovic, that in fact immediately find space as titular in top teams.

I must say I found this 'habits' way more evident in the male league (there are the Russell and the Christenson – but they had big experience with the NT too, so it wasn't a blind bet – but also the Sam Holt that in two years practically never played...).

• There just seems more female talent in Italy than in men it seems.

Boys are probably playing soccer or basketball so it's probably hurting the sport.

I'm guessing that's why it's more acceptable in superlega to accept foreigners than in the women's side.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• No she is not, and I can say that because I have watched Carlini for the past 4 years, and not only that, but I have watched her play in person. She is a good setter, she`s already 22. But there`s nothing special about her besides her height 6`2. And she is that kind of setter that is always attacking the ball, which I don`t like.

I`m sure Carlini will become a really good setter and could be in the 2020 OG, I know people will think I`m a hater (again). but I don`t think Scandici would sign her if she was not american or coming from NCAA.
    Another example James Shaw, last season when I heard Podova signed him and he would be a starter I was surprised. And as a result, we all saw that he is not that good yet. But again, if he was not coming from NCAA, Padova would have never signed him.

And when you look at, it is funny that Cambi will probably spend another season on the bench, but a american will come in and be a starter right away.

It is ok when you sign young players, but those that have proved them in the International level, like Ruseell and Boskovic for example. In Brazil,China,Russia,Japan that is what they do, they mostly only sign World Class Players, they wont sign rookies with no experience just because they are coming from a different country and assume they have something especial. Because they give the chance for their local players.

Yeah, that's true sometimes [for example, is Carlini (which I've never watch playing, I must admit) actually better than Cambi?]

• I think that the attraction of the NCAA system is that it's all youngs vs youngs, so in a certain way it's easier to select a young promising player (that's work better for the female that for the male imho). You just have to pick the MVP/the better player in his role ;)
    And obviously USA have a strong tradition in volleyball and in practicing high level sport in the university.
    (But I do agree with you overall about the excess of 'blind' trust fro NCAA, which imho is even more evident with the setters.)

About Cambi, I think that the 'problem' with her is that she has a contract with Novara (as far as I understood), which obviously has advantages in keeping her. I'm not sure she could actually choose to go in a different team to play as titular (I can't guarantee she would have find one, though. She is not a 'name' like Malinov or Orro).
    But may be there are also young players that instead of being titular in a low-level team prefer to be the bench player in a strong team, which means strong athletes and coach, european competition, nice chance of winning something and may be the hope to become titular one day. If you think about it, that was Giannelli path for example.
    Ok, he is very very talented, but if you think about it for Orro and Egonu it will be the third year in Serie A1 and they've never been a subs (well, Orro had to compete with Malinov two years ago, but in the same year she was preferred to Malinov in the NT)

• I'm a big fan of Piccinini and I almost watched all game of Novara this season. I can surely say Cambi was better than Djenkema. Cambi played well with Barun and that's why she scored this season. I think she has to play a team where she can show herself and improve her game day by day. I really like her.

• That is the problem for the local players. When they get a chance, it is only 1, and that is it. Whenever they make a mistake they go right back to the bench, and whenever they have a bad game, that one single bad game will hunt them for the whole season.

Teams spend a lot of money on foreign players, but when they don`t play well, they won`t get replaced because the club has too much pride.

2 good example. Bernardo/Rexona.
    Last season he signed Courtney Tompson, she had a rough season, she never found any connection with the middles at all, and he had to replace her quite often with Roberta during the whole season. In the semis they lost game 1 and Tompson played bad, 2nd game he started with her again and must replace her again with Roberta, and thanks to Roberta they win the Superliga.
    When you look back, Bernarndo should have played all season with Roberta, but he did not because he did not want to show the fans and club bringing a international player was not the best idea and the club just wasted some money. And now Roberta is a starter and with the NT. But if she had not go the chance to play none of this would ever happened. Nobody would know she`s that good.

And the same exactly thing happened with Anne/Drussyla this season.

Cambi/Djekema - can be another example. I think if Cambi had started the finals, Novara would still won. But once the club paid more money for Djkema, it makes more sense to let her play. But if anytime Novara was in trouble of course Cambi would have to come in.

When the local player is not playing well, it is really easy to send them to the bench or just keep them there.

I think she has to play a team where she can show herself and improve her game day by day. I really like her.

• Kk15 - about Gianelli. He played this season 2017/2016 and they won Silver. 2016/2015 lost in the semis and Silver CL -

2014/2015 - Trentino won the tittle and Gianelli was MVP right?? and was this his first season as a starter? how many season did he bench before?

• Unless you have insider knowledge about what goes in their training sessions then the italian club coaches earn the right to keep on benching their locals.

OT: I think Rezende always had realistic goals in mind for her local players especially for his young and talented personnel.

For example, when they got Pavan... it would be super unrealistic that their local opposite will bench Pavan but with that process Natalia became better as an Outside Hitter as the opposite became unrealistic for her to take without Pavan being benched or if she left the club.

But with Thompson and Anne, everyone knew the upsides of their locals and the downsides of Thompson and Anne from a mile away.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• Yes, I am agreed with you. When Djenkema was not good in final game and Cambi has changed game. It was not one game, during whole season it had happened. I only dont understand after changing game against Modena in final why Fenoglio still prefered to start with Djenkema for next game. The same I can compare Cruz with Loda. I think Sara Loda was better than Cruz. I only liked Adenizia this season she was the best. Why Italian clubs dont try to transfer Brazilian players? Their game style look like each other. I think they can make Italian league much more interesting.

• Well, I think Brazil is still in crises, but the Brazilian League is still really strong and they are able to make enough money for a good living and I think players always prefer to play at home and be close to family and friends.

Adenizia, Thaiza, Natalia went to play in Europe, because of the crises and the ranking system. Adenizia said she loves playing in Italy, she loves the league, the fans, her teammates, everything. But it is still so hard to be away from family and friends. She said in Italy she`s living in a apartment and she does everything herself, clean, cook, laundry etc, but in Brazil she lived in a house and she had help with cleaning,cooking, all that. She loves the experience of living in a different country but there`s nothing like living at "home".

here`s the interview with her.
    http://www.melhordovolei.com.b…vo-com-o-melhor-do-volei/

But I do miss the days when the Italian League was flooded with Brazilians both men`s and women`s.

Why Italian clubs dont try to transfer Brazilian players? Their game style look like each other. I think they can make Italian league much more interesting.

• 2014/2015 - Trentino won the tittle and Gianelli was MVP right?? and was this his first season as a starter? how many season did he bench before?

Actually in that season – his first in Superlega – he was the bench setter (Zygaldo was the starter). Giannelli practically became titular when Trento was losing 2-0 match 1 of the final (and eventually won 3-2). If I recall well he wasn't titular in match 2, but in match 3 and 4 yes (Zygaldo didn't even entered the court, first time in the whole RS + Play off).
    Giannelli stats in 2014-2015 RS
    Zygaldo stats

Ps sorry for the off topic :S

• Oh that`s interesting, I did not know he benched that season. He jumped from the bench to the Olympics basically ......pretty impressive.

thanks for the stats, I will check it out.

Actually in that season – his first in Superlega – he was the bench setter (Zygaldo was the starter). Giannelli practically became titular when Trento was losing 2-0 match 1 of the final (and eventually won 3-2). If I recall well he wasn't titular in match 2, but in match 3 and 4 yes (Zygaldo didn't even entered the court, first time in the whole RS + Play off).
    Giannelli stats in 2014-2015 RS
    Zygaldo stats

Ps sorry for the off topic :S

• Italy lost 3-1 in the friendly match vs Nederland, but I read they did quite good, especially in block.
    Malinov 9 points!

Starter: Malinov-Egonu, Bosetti-Bosetti, Folie-Bonifacio, De Gennaro. Everybody played except Parrochiale.

Slothjes didn't play.

• Second friendly match:

OLANDA-ITALIA 1-3 (25-17 18-25 13-25 20-25)
    OLANDA: Belien 8, Plak 10, De Kruijf 5, Balkestein-Grothues 9, Dijkema 2, Buijs 10, Schoot (L), Stam-Pillon (L) ne, Knip, Koolhaas 1 Jasper, Polder ne. Stoltenborg 1, Sloetjes ne. All. Morrison.
    ITALIA: Malinov 5, Bosetti C. 10, Bonifacio 13, Egonu 23, Bosetti L. 11, Folie 14, De Gennaro (L), Loda 2, Guerra ne, Orro ne, Sorokaite, Chirichella ne, Danesi ne. Parrocchiale (L) ne. All. Mazzanti.
    Spettatori 2000 circa Durata set: 22, 21 22, 26.
    Olanda: bs 4, bv 8, m 7, er 8.
    Italia: bs 17, bv 8, m 10, er 13.

I image Chirichella has some minor physical problems...

Loda went in to serve for Folie and got two ace, so today there wasn't any major substitution (I guess that also Sorokaite was a short change..)

• For the Gran Prix we will have back Sylla, Guerra (physical problems, Guerra was in the WCh qualification roster but never played), Tirozzi (her wedding).
    They will probably start trying Egonu as OH (Mazzanti words).
    Diouf will end her 8-week recovery on July the 2nd, then she will find rhythm again with the juniores and Mazzanti, then we will see.

• what are they training for?

i thought diouf had said she would never play for NT again? after she was cut from olympics?

i wonder if they have given up on training egonu as a passing OH. i think they should continue to try... if brayelin martinez at 200 cm can do, so can egonu.

and if diouf improves her mobility and ball-handling, ... can you imagine an ITA team with such powerful hitters that can also play defense? they'd be unstoppable.

are gennari, guerra and tirozzi coming back?