Chinese NT 2017

• Li Ying-ying (OH/OP): Tianjin refused her joining NT for the junior event of National Games

The mystery continues. Tianjin wants to keep her in the pocket so no chance of her getting injured playing somewhere else?

• The mystery continues. Tianjin wants to keep her in the pocket so no chance of her getting injured playing somewhere else?

Pretty much since Tianjin is a powerhouse in Chinese league. They care about success more than players.

• I notice the Chinese NT use Liu Xiotong a lots (Montreux and WGP). She's 27 now and she will be 30 in 2020. I'm not criticizing the Chinese NT or saying Liu is too "old". I'm just curious about the Chinese NT strategy.

• I notice the Chinese NT use Liu Xiotong a lots (Montreux and WGP). She's 27 now and she will be 30 in 2020. I'm not criticizing the Chinese NT or saying Liu is too "old". I'm just curious about the Chinese NT strategy.

This year doesn't have the big 3 world titles so bench players and newcomers will get more playing minutes. I think Lang Ping doesn't emphasize on winning lesser events like Montreux and WGP but focus on giving players more chances to develop and improve. So far the new players don't look as promising as previous years. B team members Yao Di, Li Jing, Zheng Yixin, and Wang Yunlu have not improved at all. Gong Xiangyu seems to regress from her 2016 performance. Everyone else besides Zhu remain the same level. Lets hope Zhang Changning develops into a world class star to play alongside Zhu. Over relying on Zhu will not always work out like in 2014 World Championships when she ran out of gas during the final.

I think someone here said "China hides their game until it counts". That's probably what's happening. What's she gonna do when Zhu and Zhang wanna play? I watched some matches over the last few years where Lui seemed like the goofy kid happy to get some minutes off the bench. I'm re-watching the China Grand Prix matches and she's the cagey veteran now :roll: I think she's playing fine.

Speaking of veterans, I gotta say ... Xia Ding is killing me. That girl's got some attitude. I'm loving her to death. I'd love to watch this CHN v RUS game with one of those fancam deals on her like they do for K-Pop groups where there's a close-up camera trained on just one player.

• Another note about this WGP group - It looks to me like Xinyue Yuan has gotten quicker and has seriously upgraded her attack angles. That's scary. Imagine a front line of Zhu Ting, Xinyue Yuan, Zhang Changning. :white:

Liu Xiotong has a nice serve.

I wanted to like Yuanyuan Wang more. She's blocking okay but China shouldn't bank on being Too Big to Fail. She's a liability when she's not in the front row.

Yi Gao, so far, looks like the most impressive teenager. She looks comfortable all over the court.

I don't get Di Yao

Li Lin looks like she could do without the post-point circle dance :lol:

I miss Yanhan Liu and Junjing Yang, not to mention Wei Qiuyue and Zeng Chunlei. As the world turns, I guess.

• Because Yang Wen-jin [No.19] is born in 1997, U20 Chinese team has to change the person for 2017 U20 WCH. Do you know the shirt number of two OHs of U20 Chinese team in the friendly match?

According to the rumor,
    China U20 NT has six warm-ups - vs Beijing Senior: 1w 2l, vs Brazil U20: 2w 1l ...

My favourite roster of Chinese (in 2022)
    male NT:
    S - Yu Yao-chen, Chen Lei-yang
    OP - Jiang Chuan, Dai Qing-yao
    OH - Zhang Jing-yin, Yu Yuan-tai, Liu Li-bin, Fu Hou-wen
    MB - Zhang Zhe-jia, Peng Shi-kun, Li Yong-zhen, Jiang Zhen-yang
    L - Yang Yi-ming, Yang Tian-yuan

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu
    OP - Gong Xiang-yu, Sun Xiao-xuan
    OH - Li Ying-ying, Wang Yi-fan, Wu Meng-jie, Zhuang Yu-shan
    MB - Yuan Xin-yue, Wang Yuan-yuan, Zheng Yi-xin, Liu Yu
    L - Ni Fei-fan, Xu Jia-nan

• Why is Li Yingying not in the U20 roster?

• Why is Li Yingying not in the U20 roster?

Pretty much since Tianjin is a powerhouse in Chinese league. They care about success more than players.

• Speaking of veterans, I gotta say ... Xia Ding is killing me. That girl's got some attitude. I'm loving her to death. I'd love to watch this CHN v RUS game with one of those fancam deals on her like they do for K-Pop groups where there's a close-up camera trained on just one player.

Agree for Ding Xia. Her acrobatic digs and her spikes (unusual for a setter) are fun to watch.

• Agree for Ding Xia. Her acrobatic digs and her spikes (unusual for a setter) are fun to watch.

I love it when setters spike the ball. The setter for Japan in the WGP, Koyomi Tominaga, is spiking it. With her right hand. That's double cool. Ding has an advantage being a lefty. And she's got more attitude. The way she struts around cracks me up. She has made a new fan.

• I love it when setters spike the ball. The setter for Japan in the WGP, Koyomi Tominaga, is spiking it. With her right hand. That's double cool. Ding has an advantage being a lefty. And she's got more attitude. The way she struts around cracks me up. She has made a new fan.

Therefore, I give you this:
    Ding Xia's spike:
    http://video.tudou.com/v/XMTc4NjAzMTgzMg==.html

My favourite roster of Chinese (in 2022)
    male NT:
    S - Yu Yao-chen, Chen Lei-yang
    OP - Jiang Chuan, Dai Qing-yao
    OH - Zhang Jing-yin, Yu Yuan-tai, Liu Li-bin, Fu Hou-wen
    MB - Zhang Zhe-jia, Peng Shi-kun, Li Yong-zhen, Jiang Zhen-yang
    L - Yang Yi-ming, Yang Tian-yuan

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu
    OP - Gong Xiang-yu, Sun Xiao-xuan
    OH - Li Ying-ying, Wang Yi-fan, Wu Meng-jie, Zhuang Yu-shan
    MB - Yuan Xin-yue, Wang Yuan-yuan, Zheng Yi-xin, Liu Yu
    L - Ni Fei-fan, Xu Jia-nan

• Lovely. It looks like she might have been actually playing OP position in some of those. Did she?

• Her acrobatic moves (dig and pass)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWZvXijA3l4/

I just re-watched that game yesterday and totally remember that point. She set the ball perfectly, underhanded, from way back court. Lovely, I say.

• I have also become a Liu Xiaotong fan. I've watched from Montreux through this first WGP round and I think she is playing like a captain. She's out there with kids, for the most part. She's got a great serve, she blocks okay, she attacks strongly from all over the court. She's got a great attitude and court presence. What's not to like? Well ... she's not very quick, but nobody on China aside from Ling and Ding has much speed.

Sure, she doesn't have much of a place when Zhu and Zhang start playing, but I think she deserves a big round of applause for what she's done these past couple months.

• I also like Liu Xiatong, I was just curious when I ask why Liu was used intensively. Because it's very rare a Chinese NT player with 30 yrs of age in a Olympic Games. Since she will be 30 in the Tokyo2020, I was just wondering why the Chinese NT still invest so much at her. Honestly, I will be happy for her if she can get the ticket for the Tokyo2020. This means the Chinese NT players had finally broke the over 30 yrs old barrier.

• Just imagine what the Chinese coaching team might have said to Liu Xiaotong before the WGP is rolling on.

So now Liu has [too] many hours to play on... and she can't complain for that, if any... :D

To get serious, what an encouraging development for Liu. Just around one year ago or so, she hardly be quite a firm part of the core team. But now even though Zhu and Zhang are around, Liu seems to get a very firm hold there.

Liu Xiaotong was awarded the most favorite volleyball player of the year voted by fans - Radio Beijing (RBC) in 2016

I recall someone in this board commented that Liu's insertion into the court was one of the key factors that turned over the match versus the Brazilian team in Rio.

A short compilation video on Liu: https://youtu.be/PUIYXNUtgf8

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”