Chinese NT 2017

• indeed, Liu and Zhang were the "turning point" of quart finals in the Olympic games.

• I was addressing my own previous view that Liu should step aside to make room for WU Han. :D Whether Liu makes it to, and contributes to, the 2020s remains to be seen. After watching her a little more closely these last couple months I came to the conclusion: "Hey, she's pretty good". This is the time for China to try out new players, with these "unimportant" tournaments and 2020 still a few years out. But I don't think they would accept outright losing and went with Liu to provide some leadership and whatnot. She probably feels a bit like a sacrificial lamb, but then even greater kudos to her. This is her time in the limelight and she's lit up. Applause.

• I also like Liu Xiatong, I was just curious when I ask why Liu was used intensively. Because it's very rare a Chinese NT player with 30 yrs of age in a Olympic Games. Since she will be 30 in the Tokyo2020, I was just wondering why the Chinese NT still invest so much at her. Honestly, I will be happy for her if she can get the ticket for the Tokyo2020. This means the Chinese NT players had finally broke the over 30 yrs old barrier.

She's a backup player. In case Hui doesn't make it or there are no suitable substitutes available, Liu will be there to take that role and she knows it clearly. Age won't be a big deal since Yan Ni made her first Olympics at age 29, not much younger than 30, and her first A team at 28. Since Lang Ping took over, she has been sending bench players and B team to play in Montreux and WGP Finals so they can get experience and hopefully develop into better players. Liu is just doing her role as a backup until everyone returns for the big events after this year. So far Liu will likely make 2020 because the current OHs playing are not better than her. There's also Liu Yanhan but I think she's just a poorer version of Liu Xiaotong and has not showed signs of improvement at all.

• http://www.volleychina.org/b/2017/0714/3480.html
    Date: July 26
    Head Coach: Bao Zhuang
    Assistant Coaches: Yuan Zhi, Yu Fei
    Players:
    S - Zhou Yu-jie, Liang Gui-qian
    OP - Chen Pei-yan, Guan Rui-ge, Liu Meng-ya
    OH - Liu Yan-han, Wang Yun-lu, Jin Ye, Cai Xiao-qing
    MB - Zhang Xiao-ya, Huang Rui-lei, Lei Yan-xi, Yan Kai-lun
    L - Huang Liu-yan, Shu Zhi-jia
    Others in the roster but not in the training camp [mainly U23]: Wang Si-min (L), Huang Feng, Li Wei-wei (MB), Wang Zi-chen, Yu Jia-rui (S)

Although I shouldn't say this, this might be the weakest Team B of Chinese NT.

My favourite roster of Chinese (in 2022)
    male NT:
    S - Yu Yao-chen, Chen Lei-yang
    OP - Jiang Chuan, Dai Qing-yao
    OH - Zhang Jing-yin, Yu Yuan-tai, Liu Li-bin, Fu Hou-wen
    MB - Zhang Zhe-jia, Peng Shi-kun, Li Yong-zhen, Jiang Zhen-yang
    L - Yang Yi-ming, Yang Tian-yuan

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu
    OP - Gong Xiang-yu, Sun Xiao-xuan
    OH - Li Ying-ying, Wang Yi-fan, Wu Meng-jie, Zhuang Yu-shan
    MB - Yuan Xin-yue, Wang Yuan-yuan, Zheng Yi-xin, Liu Yu
    L - Ni Fei-fan, Xu Jia-nan

Edited once, last by tomen ().

• Liu Yanhan got demoted to U23 team. I think she is a better option than Wang Yunlu or Li Jing.

• Liu Yanhan got demoted to U23 team. I think she is a better option than Wang Yunlu or Li Jing.

She is born in 1993.
    She can only particiapate in 2017 ACH.

male NT:

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu

• She is born in 1993.
    She can only particiapate in 2017 ACH.

Yeah I thought u meant both teams for the training roster. My mistake. I think she won the U23 World Championships in 2013 and Yao Di got the MVP?

• I like when Liu Yanhan would roll up her sleeves. I like the new Chinese uniforms here at WGP. They got rid of the sleeves.

• Yeah I thought u meant both teams for the training roster. My mistake. I think she won the U23 World Championships in 2013 and Yao Di got the MVP?

Yes.

male NT:

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu

• The training roster of Chinese NT B for 2017 ACH [and 2017 U23 WCH]
    http://www.volleychina.org/b/2017/0714/3480.html

Btw, just passing here as I did my check...

The 2017 Asian Women's Volleyball Championship is scheduled to be held from 09 to 17 August 2017 in Philippines. Matches will be held in two cities; at the Alonte Sports Arena in Biñan, Laguna and Muntinlupa Sports Complex in Muntinlupa, Metro Manila. 14 teams will participate.

The 2017 FIVB Volleyball Women's U23 World Championship will be its 3rd edition, and the world championship for women's national teams under the age of 23, organized by FIVB. The tournament will be hosted by Slovenia in the city of Ljubljana from 10 September to 17 September 2017. 12 teams are expected to compete: Slovenia, Turkey, Bulgaria, Brazil, Argentina, Dominican Republic, Cuba, Egypt, Kenya, Japan, Thailand, China.

FIVB World Ranking - Women Under 23 (as per January 2017):
    http://www.fivb.org/en/volleyb…_Ranking_WU23_2017-01.asp

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

• During the match against Turkey, Gong Xiang-yu was as a setter in Set 1 and Set 3, an OH in Set 2 and an OP in Set 4...

male NT:

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu

• Li Jing finally had a good game. Maybe she hasn't shown her potential because of teaming with Yao Di all these years.

• I agree. Liu Yanhan should replace one of the two.

I second to your opinion, Liu YH should play here i/o Li J or Wang YL... these two players, Li & Wang do not qualify for International tournaments... but are still okay for the Asian Continental ones.

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

• During the match against Turkey, Gong Xiang-yu was as a setter in Set 1 and Set 3, an OH in Set 2 and an OP in Set 4...

I noticed that interesting scheme too but Gong only came in as setter subbed Ding in later points, >20 points iirc, i guess CHN wanna add up the firepower in the front court at the terminal stage and held firm the lead till the end. They should explore more winning strategies... tho this TUR team is relatively weak so it didn't really tell much how effective such thing was. And somehow I wonder why the coach stuck so long with Li Jing on court... what they tried to prove in her, and she's no longer young... she seems to be maxed out already, no much room for improvement, just be that... and conclusion should have been drawn... both Li and Wang YL just pull the team down under... in particular when facing the strong ones.

• I'm catching up on some China matches and the surprise for me is XINYUE YUAN. She looks quicker, more savvy, and just generally more coordinated than she did in Rio, like she's finally grown comfortable in that big body. Who else can score a set point with their face. That was hilarious in the USA match (set 3). As was Li Lin's point but the US libero gave her that one.

I'd like to see more YIXIN ZHENG. She looks kind of sassy and dances well to the mingle music, but she's not tall enough for the China team.

I don't have an overall opinion on GONG's performance but I like her TAKE THAT attack style.

• I'm catching up on some China matches and the surprise for me is XINYUE YUAN. She looks quicker, more savvy, and just generally more coordinated than she did in Rio, like she's finally grown comfortable in that big body. Who else can score a set point with their face. That was hilarious in the USA match (set 3). As was Li Lin's point but the US libero gave her that one.

Indeed, YUAN was the best scorer in this match from the Chinese side. Not bad for a MB.

• Indeed, YUAN was the best scorer in this match from the Chinese side. Not bad for a MB.

Why be so mean... wny "not bad" instead of good or even great? :D for the Chinese team in particular, the matter that an MB is the top scorer, is not the usual phenomenon :-)

Yuan got 21 points, Zhu & Gong each 19 pts, and Gao Yi 14 in that match while Kingdon had 23, Murphy 22, and Bartsch 21 for the USA.

Happy to see the significant improvement of Yuan, faster, deadlier at the front court, keep on growing to a better player! Indeed at the beginning I expected to see the improved performance of Zhang Changning post-Rio in international competition after watching her stellar plays in Jiangsu team in CVA League. But have to defer such wish for her exclusion in the early WGP rounds. Not sure whether or not will see Zhang playing in Nanjing.

Must admit that Li Jing had a good game in that match, thus I should retract my earlier harsh words against her. Though I don't see her place in 2020 OG, but she earns her playing time in those less crucial matches like all the WGP ones, or in Grand Championship and the kind and other continental tournaments.

Any one notices that China played with no libero at some crucial stage against the USA. Saw Lin Li rested at bench, and those taller figures came into court to strengthen both the offense and defense :-) another improvisation in addition to replace Ding Xia with Gong Xiangyu (in preceeding match vs TUR) :-)

Glad to witness the good performances of both young MBs: Wang Yuanyuan and Gao Yi... they may very well succeed to Yan Ni and Xu Yunli one day.

PS: Correction, btw Yuan scored the last point in set-3 by HEAD, not face. If it's a facial treatment, it'll be an ugly situation (recall the Maja's incidence in Rio).

Edited 2 times, last by samsara ().

• Her baby face and the way she moves and jumps make me sometimes think she's a giant toddler :rolll: .