Chinese NT 2017

• source:
    http://grandchampionscup.2017.….com/en/teams/chn/players

Head Coach: An Jia-jie (one of rumors: Lang Ping may return!)
    Assistant Coaches: Bao Zhuang, Lai Ya-wen (others in the junior event of National Games and U23 NT)
    S - Ding Xia, Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu
    OP - Gong Xiang-yu, Zeng Chun-lei
    OH - Zhu Ting, Zhang Chang-ning, Li Jing, Liu Xiao-tong, Wang Hui-min, Duan Fang, Liu Yan-han, Hui Ruo-qi
    MB - Yuan Xin-yue, Zheng Yi-xin, Wang Chen-yue, Xu Yun-li, Yan Ni
    L - Lin Li, Wang Meng-jie

Will the four players return? Time will prove it.

My favourite roster of Chinese (in 2022)
    male NT:
    S - Yu Yao-chen, Chen Lei-yang
    OP - Jiang Chuan, Dai Qing-yao
    OH - Zhang Jing-yin, Yu Yuan-tai, Liu Li-bin, Fu Hou-wen
    MB - Zhang Zhe-jia, Peng Shi-kun, Li Yong-zhen, Jiang Zhen-yang
    L - Yang Yi-ming, Yang Tian-yuan

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu
    OP - Gong Xiang-yu, Sun Xiao-xuan
    OH - Li Ying-ying, Wang Yi-fan, Wu Meng-jie, Zhuang Yu-shan
    MB - Yuan Xin-yue, Wang Yuan-yuan, Zheng Yi-xin, Liu Yu
    L - Ni Fei-fan, Xu Jia-nan

Edited once, last by tomen ().

• I used to love Zeng Chunlei ! She was my crush back in 2014 =) I'd be glad to see her again but I doubt she will make it for Tokyo.
    I'd be happy also to see Yan Ni and Xu Yunli.. two heroines of Rio =) :heart:
    Is this a major tournament? I have never heard of it .. :what:

• I also welcome the return of these adults but would have liked to see Gao Yi hang around. I think she's performing well in WGP for a youngster.

I think most around here anyway do not consider the GCh Cup a major tournament. It doesn't grant FIVB points towards World Rankings. Japan always hosts so they always play, then the AVC Champs and Korea as wild card. So three Asian teams out of six. I'm okay with that :D Heck, they could dis-invite USA and let Thailand play and I'd be okay with it. But I agree with others that calling it the WORLD GRAND CHAMPIONS Cup is a bit of a misnomer--especially if you type it in ALL CAPS :rolll:

inside.volleycountry thread

• It is not that important because it does not give points and I dont get why not, FIVB created this event in order to have a "major" event every year besides the GP and WL. , but teams does take it seriously and always play with their main roster.
    But Im surprised to hear that China will play with the main squad because they are playing in the GP FInals, in the past Lang Ping rested starters in the GP to have them ready for OG and WCH.
    I bet Brazil will have their main roster as well.

And this tournament wont last 1 week...

I used to love Zeng Chunlei ! She was my crush back in 2014 =) I'd be glad to see her again but I doubt she will make it for Tokyo.
    I'd be happy also to see Yan Ni and Xu Yunli.. two heroines of Rio =) :heart:
    Is this a major tournament? I have never heard of it .. :what:

• Thanks for the message.. I think I have never watched this tournament in my life.. hope it will be broadcasted =)

It is not that important because it does not give points and I dont get why not, FIVB created this event in order to have a "major" event every year besides the GP and WL. , but teams does take it seriously and always play with their main roster.
    But Im surprised to hear that China will play with the main squad because they are playing in the GP FInals, in the past Lang Ping rested starters in the GP to have them ready for OG and WCH.
    I bet Brazil will have their main roster as well.

And this tournament wont last 1 week...

• Does anyone have the name of that handsome assistant on China's side? Is he a former player? What's his favorite food? And other stuff like his age?

:rose:

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• I already got his name. Li Tong it is and he's only 22-23 years old.

https://kknews.cc/sports/38abmmg.html

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• I recall reading an article about Lang Ping's 2nd hip surgery, which was carried out not long before the 2017 WGP kicked off... there it mentioned that Lang Ping would be definitely absent from the court in the entire WGP tournament. The article implied... to put it in other words, Lang Ping just stayed away from court temporary, she shall return to court once she recovers from her surgery... [and her new promoted position as the VP of CVA won't bar her involvement with court duties :D ] Therefore I won't be quite surprise to see her with the team on court at coming WGCC.

Btw I am the one happy to see ZENG Chun-lei back to the NT for this WGCC, let her have a great moment there with the NT... in the FIVB Women's GRAND CHAMPIONS CUP... :drink: :flower:

I guess this tournament can be quite her last "major" one with the NT at the international competition.. for I don't think Zeng will take part in the 2018 WCh (but perhaps she can play at the 2018 Asian Games) and definitely she won't attend the 2020 OG. Somehow I feel sorry for this former team captain that the team couldn't include her in the Rio OG... [after her noticeable contribution in the 2015 WC] but what to say... that's a correct decision... so I really wish her a great tournament in the coming WGCC, perhaps this one will later be recorded as an unofficial farewell for her playing with the NT, her last participation in the FIVB major tournament. As for Hui, Yan and Xu, they all had their great moments in Rio so they miss nothing indeed... Let's see this early September... :bump:

//EDIT: Just peeped into the schedule... the JPN team really loves the CHN team... the host again puts the match of CHN v JPN as the last one, the closing match, just like in the 2015 WC :D :lol:

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

Edited once, last by samsara ().

• Do you think Hui will not be part of Tokyo? She will be 29, not that old.. I don't think currently there are many options available outside Zhu and Zhang...the other all see messy and incosistent in particular when it comes to blocking..
    Also Yan Ni wants to continue till Tokyo..she'll be 33 I don't know if the youngsters will be good enough to take over.. =)

I guess this tournament can be quite her last "major" one with the NT at the international competition.. for I don't think Zeng will take part in the 2018 WCh (but perhaps she can play at the 2018 Asian Games) and definitely she won't attend the 2020 OG. Somehow I feel sorry for this former team captain that the team couldn't include her in the Rio OG... [after her noticeable contribution in the 2015 WC] but what to say... that's a correct decision... so I really wish her a great tournament in the coming WGCC, perhaps this one will later be recorded as an unofficial farewell for her playing with the NT, her last participation in the FIVB major tournament. As for Hui, Yan and Xu, they all had their great moments in Rio so they miss nothing indeed... Let's see this early September...

• Hui Ruoqi has a heart problem so not sure how healthy she will be in 2020. So far China doesn't have good enough replacements in the OH department. Hopefully younger blood comes along. I'm rooting for Wu Han.

• Hopefully younger blood comes along. I'm rooting for Wu Han.

Me too. WU Han :super:
    I haven't watched enough junior league to know if there are others out there, or who they might be. Jingwen Qian looks promising and there's that big secret southpaw Yingying Li.

I don't think currently there are many options available outside Zhu and Zhang

What happened to Zhang in this NED game? Seems like coach's don't have confidence in her when the pressure mounts.

• I think I have never watched this tournament in my life.. hope it will be broadcasted =)

Pretty sure FIVB won't be live streaming it or archiving it for "growing the game" purposes--based on them not having videos for previous ones on their site. This means getting to watch it live is up to gosh knows who the pirates will be, which, since it's in Japan it will be extra tough. My experience is that Japan is the crankiest in clamping down with their broadcast rights--because Japan wants to show the world that they love volleyball the most in the world without letting anyone see it, and hosting tournaments like the recent Club World Championships where no one attends.

I hope I'm wrong

• Zhang Changning was causing problems with the organization of the attack during transition and block defense. She was left out from week 1-3 so it's an expected risk after recovering from an injury just in time for the final round.

Liu Xiaotong was pretty bad with her attack but atleast she wasn't making life hard for the setter and everyone around her.

#FreeBritney

• I already got his name. Li Tong it is and he's only 22-23 years old.

https://kknews.cc/sports/38abmmg.html

Li Tong was the former player of Jiangsu men's club.
    He was the teammate of Yu Yao-chen, the setter of the runner-up of 2013 U19 WCH and the third place of 2015 U21 WCH.

male NT:

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu

• Pretty sure FIVB won't be live streaming it or archiving it for "growing the game" purposes--based on them not having videos for previous ones on their site. This means getting to watch it live is up to gosh knows who the pirates will be, which, since it's in Japan it will be extra tough. My experience is that Japan is the crankiest in clamping down with their broadcast rights--because Japan wants to show the world that they love volleyball the most in the world without letting anyone see it, and hosting tournaments like the recent Club World Championships where no one attends.

I hope I'm wrong

Ha ha ha... it will be pretty bizarre if this FIVB WGCC ends up the same as the IOC multi-sport VOLLEYBALL competition... so good the sanitation, EXCLUSIVE broadcast rights, no live stream, no accessible archives... all files are copyrighted by IOC/NBC/BBC and so on... that one must dig deep into the Torrent (Russian-language torrent resources) and Filez forum (the Chinese-language resources of China's CCTV archives for matches involving the Chinese team) to try to excavate the filez .... :D :P :lol: note about all the non-English resources due to so well the Copyleft protection nets... even one-year after Rio those files still see no lights... may they live in the eternal darkened world forever... :lol:

yeah that's the great way to popularize Volleyball following the footstep of the BIG Fxxxx greedy IOC + broadcasters like NBC :wall: :wall: :wall:

Note: until today I don't see the many volleyball QF matches of Rio OG

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

• Don't you think that WU HAN is a bit too shot to compete against huge blocks (Egonu, Boskovic..)?
    There was another interesting player that I saw during BRICS, N.19 Yang, but she seems to have disappeared.. :what:

• Don't you think that WU HAN is a bit too shot to compete against huge blocks (Egonu, Boskovic..)?
    There was another interesting player that I saw during BRICS, N.19 Yang, but she seems to have disappeared.. :what:

She [Yang Wen-jin] returns Team Jiangsu Junior in order to get ready for the junior event [U22] of 13th Chinese National Games.
    After the meeting, she should join Team Jiangsu Senior with Wu Han and Rong Wan-qian-bai for Chinese League 17/18.
    Please wait for her future.

male NT:

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu

• Do you think Hui will not be part of Tokyo? She will be 29, not that old.. I don't think currently there are many options available outside Zhu and Zhang...the other all see messy and incosistent in particular when it comes to blocking..
    Also Yan Ni wants to continue till Tokyo..she'll be 33 I don't know if the youngsters will be good enough to take over.. =)

Due to Hui Ruo-qi's heart problem, I don't think she will play in the 2020 OG. Even slim chance for her be included in the 2018 WCh. Regardless your opinion, Gong Xiang-yu cannot be less valuable choice than her (remember that Gong played as a setter in her early career before transitioning into an attacker, basically she's an all-round player), then there's Qian Jing-wen... anyhow, if Hui has no health issue, she may have better opportunity to compete for the berths.

About YAN Ni, yes, read that too... early this year there's no picture of players like GAO Yi and WANG Yuan-yuan in the NT scene, but suddenly in the WGP Gao Yi esp. radiates her shine... so now thing becomes less certain... after all the 2020 OG is still three years away... possibility is still quite fluid :D And who knows if the CHN team will bring in the young MB, YANG Han-yu, into the senior NT scene... after all her name is in the senior NT training list in this year's session. So let's see in the 2018 WCh and 2019 WC... btw I wonder whether CHN as the defending OG champion will have to take part in the WC or not, or it just applies to the host team... last time the BRA team as the OG host & defending champion was exempted from WC.

Well, to refresh the memory. the last slot of the CHN Olympians in the 2016 OG (was decided between Gong XY OR Zeng CL) was just taken at the same year, just a couple of months ahead of the event (possibly the 2016 WGP F6 in Bangkok could serve as the last confirmation event back then)... so right now it is surely too early to say anything, it should be an ongoing observation until the near finish line :D :whistle:

Don't you think that WU HAN is a bit too shot to compete against huge blocks (Egonu, Boskovic..)?

I believe it's just a pipedream to see WU Han ever plays with the senior NT in major international events... she may even pose slim chance to be ever called in for the senior NT training. WU Han [born April 1998] at 183cm is unfortunately(!) not tall enough to become the attacking part of the CHN NT. However she may have chance to play in the continental events and other non-major ones incl. the age bracket ones (perhaps the next biennial event, U23 WCh in the 2019 edition).

Watch out for the young left-handed player, Li Yingying 李盈莹 (OH) 192 / Feb 2000 / Tianjin Club, she can possibly be part of the NT in the future, at least that's what the local sport media touted about her.

Edited 3 times, last by samsara ().

• I think Gong has improved a lot, jumps higher and is more consistent in attacking. She also could have been the strongest blocking setter after Kun Feng ( :heart: ) but as opposite she is quite good (not Bosckovic or Goncharova's level but still high)

Due to Hui Ruo-qi's heart problem, I don't think she will play in the 2020 OG. Even slim chance for her be included in the 2018 WCh. Regardless your opinion, Gong Xiang-yu cannot be less valuable choice than her (remember that Gong played as a setter in her early career before transitioning into an attacker, basically she's an all-round player), then there's Qian Jing-wen... anyhow, if Hui has no health issue, she may have better opportunity to compete for the berths.

Yes MB we have plenty... The problem is outside hitters... I expect Yuan to turn into the best MB in the planet in this Olympic cycle!

About YAN Ni, yes, read that too... early this year there's no picture of players like GAO Yi and WANG Yuan-yuan in the NT scene, but suddenly in the WGP Gao Yi esp. radiates her shine... so now thing becomes less certain... after all the 2020 OG is still three years away... possibility is still quite fluid And who knows if the CHN team will bring in the young MB, YANG Han-yu, into the senior NT scene... after all her name is in the senior NT training list in this year's session. So let's see in the 2018 WCh and 2019 WC... btw I wonder whether CHN as the defending OG champion will have to take part in the WC or not, or it just applies to the host team... last time the BRA team as the OG host & defending champion was exempted from WC.

Feel sorry for her... talented but borne in the wrong years as China has some superstars for that position right now. She is clever indeed, reminds me of a young and shoter Hui..

I believe it's just a pipedream to see WU Han ever plays with the senior NT in major international events... she may even pose slim chance to be ever called in for the senior NT training. WU Han [born April 1998] at 183cm is unfortunately(!) not tall enough to become the attacking part of the CHN NT. However she may have chance to play in the continental events and other non-major ones incl. the age bracket ones (perhaps the next biennial event, U23 WCh in the 2019 edition).

I know her..good overall skill but maybe she lacks of jumping power and seems quite slow in movements.. :whistle:

Watch out for the young left-handed player, Li Yingying 李盈莹 (OH) 192 / Feb 2000 / Tianjin Club, she can possibly be part of the NT in the future, at least that's what the local sport media touted about her.