Chinese NT 2017

• I'm just glad that An Jiajie is just a puppet coach.

• I am more than happy to see my queen Zeng Chunlei back in the team. :heart:
    To me it was really unfair to cut her from the OG team in favor of Gong and seeing her back is a pleasure.

• Yeah really nice to see Zeng Chunlei back and she played well last night.

I just prefer her with the longer hair.

I'm generally a fan of longer hair but think that little thing she's sporting is super cute on her.

• Coach made poor decision playing Diao since she is new and has not enough time setting to all the players. Lots of miscommunication but China managed to squeeze out a win.

• Happy to see the return of Yan Ni, and she's in very good shape now...slim to her size, a good model for body slimming ads :-) she's still one of the most dependable defense backbones for the Chinese team nowadays regardless the coming of the new array of young MBs.

Feel sad to learn about the Xu Yunli's injury... I really hope that her recent injury was not that severe as some said here, she may recover again to carry on her VB career.

Happy as well to see the Captain Zeng Chunlei's comeback, simply wish her a great time for another great celebration together with the NT, and much likely she will get it here in the WGCC... a humbler consolation for what she'd narrowly missed to take part in Rio.

And as Wei Qiuyue already retired from the NT, the Chinese team is in hurry to grow another reliable setter to back up Ding Xia for the 2020 OG, and so far only Diao Linyu and Yao Di who come into scenes... hope they may grow further to be dependable!

The journey for the Chinese team to stay on top won't be anyway easy, there's simply no identifiable edge over the other top teams, esp. within the Top-4 as I wrote in WGCC thread. At any time those teams are beatable among them.

The on-court service of the Commander Lang will still be necessary. Well, the upcoming Asian Qualifier tournament for the 2018 WCh will be the nearest signficant tournament, and the 2018 WCh is definitely the most important near-term target for the team.

Nonetheless I remain to be very proud of the Chinese team as the only Asian team that's capable to be [very] competitive at the highest level in the world. Just look at the world's TOP-7 at present, the Chinese are the only Asian faces there :-)

And btw I certainly won't use such disrespectful, disparaging term (!!) as a "puppet coach" :thumbdown: it's so irritating to spot such term to be used in sports (though not unusual in politics).

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

Edited 3 times, last by samsara ().

• Just look at the world's TOP-7 at present, the Chinese are the only Asian faces there :-)

Hey now! Let's not be too hasty inaugurating this TOP-7. I get it, but I want to see it before I lose sight of some other Asian faces.

• And as Wei Qiuyue already retired from the NT, the Chinese team is in hurry to grow another reliable setter to back up Ding Xia for the 2020 OG, and so far only Diao Linyu and Yao Di who come into scenes... hope they may grow further to be dependable!

If Diao and Yao can't live up to expectations, I can see Gong Xiangyu coming back to her original position.

• And as Wei Qiuyue already retired from the NT, the Chinese team is in hurry to grow another reliable setter to back up Ding Xia for the 2020 OG, and so far only Diao Linyu and Yao Di who come into scenes... hope they may grow further to be dependable!

The place of setters: Ding Xia > Diao Lin-yu > Yao Di > Chen Xin-tong in this year
    I felt Sun Hai-ping might join NT in 2018.
    However, she also comes from Team Liaoning.
    Could Ding Xia and she become "Wei Qiu-yue and Mi Yang" in the period of London Olympics?

My favourite roster of Chinese (in 2022)
    male NT:
    S - Yu Yao-chen, Chen Lei-yang
    OP - Jiang Chuan, Dai Qing-yao
    OH - Zhang Jing-yin, Yu Yuan-tai, Liu Li-bin, Fu Hou-wen
    MB - Zhang Zhe-jia, Peng Shi-kun, Li Yong-zhen, Jiang Zhen-yang
    L - Yang Yi-ming, Yang Tian-yuan

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu
    OP - Gong Xiang-yu, Sun Xiao-xuan
    OH - Li Ying-ying, Wang Yi-fan, Wu Meng-jie, Zhuang Yu-shan
    MB - Yuan Xin-yue, Wang Yuan-yuan, Zheng Yi-xin, Liu Yu
    L - Ni Fei-fan, Xu Jia-nan

• Yang Fangxu is always overlooked. She could be the best OP for China. Too bad she had a very serious leg injury. Hope she can recover 100%.

• I would like to see An fielding the many of bench players tomorrow against the weakest team, the KOR team, at least giving them the showing time in the early set (if thing goes wrong can still change the lineup) and resting the core ones. I think the bench players are sufficient to deal with the KOR. Let's see if the bench will get more action time then.

I just searched around for the pic of Sun Hai-ping, wanna know about how she looks like, and stumbled across this article:

Volleyball: China survive thriller to reach Girls’ U18 Worlds final - Sport Asia - August 2013
    http://sport-asia.com/volleyba…worlds-final-in-thailand/

ChinaCry - Emotional scenes after China “snatch” victory to reach the final, after beating the Peruvian team
    very narrowly by 2-point margin in five sets in the semifinals, miraculously survived nine match points in the last set - Thailand 20130803

https://youtu.be/Rxu5uM0EPDA

FIVB Volleyball Girls' U18 World Championship Thailand 2013
    http://www.fivb.org/EN/volleyball/competitions/U18/2013/

Chinese girls celebrate their fourth FIVB Girls' U18 World Championship title - Thailand 2013
    Sun Hai-ping (the team captain) is at the front row at the right of the cup, next to her wearing the glasses is Wang Yuan-yuan.

Just be aware that Yuan Xin-yue, Gong Xiang-yu, Wang Yun-lu, Wang Yuan-yuan and Sun Hai-ping (the Captain) all played in that U18 team (I didn't follow that tournament at all). Today Yuan is the most successful player from that team. And if Sun ever joins the NT she'll see some familiar faces there.

Btw I had bad memory about the 2012 London OG - remind me of the painful narrow defeat of the CHN team by the JPN team in a thrilling 5-set match in the quarterfinals (and that victory is the biggest win by the JPN team over CHN women's VB throughout the modern era!) And it is one of the very few OGs in the modern era whereas the CHN women's VB finished with no medal at all! So disappointed with such uncompetitive, under-performing CHN team that I stayed away from watching the VB matches until came back again in the 2014 WCh hosted by ITA! Those things are still vivid in my memory as if just happened yesterday :)

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

Edited 7 times, last by samsara ().

• How is Zeng Chunlei as OH? Is her attack good also from the left wing, despite her being left-handed?

• At least based on the 2 WCC games against USA and BRA she`s doing good as OH. Against Brazil 11/24 - against USA 10/25.

She played both of those matches as OPP
    Honestly she plays very rarely on position 4, she often use combination play when she is on that side. The few times I saw her spiking on left wing she seemed very unconfortable...
    Very weird from Pomi if they plan to use her as OH... But she can still be a very useful OPP ! She is complete, technically good and smart

• She played both of those matches as OPP
    Honestly she plays very rarely on position 4, she often use combination play when she is on that side. The few times I saw her spiking on left wing she seemed very unconfortable...
    Very weird from Pomi if they plan to use her as OH... But she can still be a very useful OPP ! She is complete, technically good and smart

China played with 4 receivers.

Against USA - Serve Reception

Zhang - 21
    Li Lin - 18
    Chunlei - 15
    Zhu - 9

Against Brazil

Zhu -29
    Li Lin - 19
    Zhang - 16
    Chunlei - 14

• I'm surprised the Beijing club let Zeng Chunlei goes. She's still a very important player for the club. Probably Godmother Lang Ping had put a horse head in the Beijing club manager's bed for the deal. I really like her. She still has more than enough juice to get a ticket for the 2020 OG. I hope she still has the OG dream with her.

• Chun-lei has many VIP to lobby to help her IF necessary (Lang Ping, Lai Ya-wen both are now top ladies in the national VB ruling org). And the coach of Beijing BAIC is Kiattipong, former Thailand NT coach and Feng Kun's husband.

From Italian media: http://www.laprovinciacr.it/ne…mi-c-e-zheng-chunlei.html

FORTE DEI MARMI - It's a real surprise that comes from Forte dei Marmi: Zeng Chunlei is the new purchase by Pomì Casalmaggiore, a 27-year-old Chinese athlete, who is almost always used as an opposing international carouser.

Boselli has closed: "We have signed an agreement for a year, and it is clear that opening up to the Chinese market will also direct the company to sponsorship agreements for the Chinese world. We have already begun to weave reports given the importance that the player plays at home and internationally."

• Zhu Ting is still "young" and inexperience as captain. Zeng Chunlei could be an excellent asset as Zhu's shadow mentor and for sharing leadership tasks. Even though the Chinese NT won the Gold medal in the last OG, I still feel sad for her for not being part of the roster.

• Tomen, any info what will be China's roster for this WCh Asian Qualifier? I hope CHN will take it seriously fielding a strong team

Wonder why the AVC does not combine these two pools in one tournament to get the Top-4 as the qualifiers... it may give slightly better chance for teams like the VIE & TPE i/o the current set-up.

Women’s World Championship ASIAN QUALIFIERS From Sept 20 to 24, 2017 - AVC

POOL A - September 20 to 24 - KAZ
    The Rio Olympic gold medallists China, hosts Kazakhstan, Chinese Taipei, Australia and Fiji. Only top two teams from this pool will make the cut for the next year’s Japan Finals.

POOL B - September 20 to 24 - THA
    Hosts & Asian silver medallists Thailand, World No.10 South Korea, DPR Korea, Vietnam and Iran, with only the two best-ranked teams making the cut for the next year’s World Championship Finals in Japan.

A total of 24 teams will contest the next year’s FIVB Women’s World Championship Finals in Japan from September 30 to October 21, 2018. The teams which have already qualified for the top-flight championship included hosts Japan, defending world champions USA, Russia, Serbia, Turkey, Italy, Azerbaijan, Germany, the Netherlands, Bulgaria and Brazil.

See: "Qualifiers - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Championship Japan 2018" - http://japan2018.fivb.com/en/qualifiers

Edited 2 times, last by samsara ().

• Wonder why the AVC does not combine these two pools in one tournament to get the Top-4 as the qualifiers... it may give slightly better chance for teams like the VIE & TPE i/o the current set-up.

In theory, the team will be the same as the one participating in WGCC 2017.
    Volleyball Casalmaggiore has said that Zeng Chun-lei will take part in the qualifiers of WCH 2018.

My favourite roster of Chinese (in 2022)
    male NT:
    S - Yu Yao-chen, Chen Lei-yang
    OP - Jiang Chuan, Dai Qing-yao
    OH - Zhang Jing-yin, Yu Yuan-tai, Liu Li-bin, Fu Hou-wen
    MB - Zhang Zhe-jia, Peng Shi-kun, Li Yong-zhen, Jiang Zhen-yang
    L - Yang Yi-ming, Yang Tian-yuan

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu
    OP - Gong Xiang-yu, Sun Xiao-xuan
    OH - Li Ying-ying, Wang Yi-fan, Wu Meng-jie, Zhuang Yu-shan
    MB - Yuan Xin-yue, Wang Yuan-yuan, Zheng Yi-xin, Liu Yu
    L - Ni Fei-fan, Xu Jia-nan