Chinese NT 2017

• Lang Ping's public lecture at the Beijing Normal University

Lang Ping delivered a public lecture at the Beijing Normal University (one of the oldest and most prestigious universities in China), talked about her early careers, incl. coached in Italian club(s) (might have something to do why Chun-lei plays in Italy), the difficult years of the NT and so forth... yet of course the main, the most interesting part was her team stories and struggles behind the scenes, the off-court stories. This most fascinating part, which took the most of her speaking time, was what substance that kept the audience engaged throughout the nearly 1.5-hour session. Lang talked about the huge time-zone difference and its challenges, the up-hill battles in the preliminary pool session and its dismal outcome, as the bottom qualifying team thus had to face the 1st rank of the other pool... which resulted in the mission-impossible like battle against the hot favourite defending champion and the host team, Brazil, and she did mentioned a very skewed head-to-head record between the two teams before this match. There was so much scepticism within the Chinese team supporters, in particular from the Chinese media side about the odds to overcome the host team, which Lang revealed in amusing ways with her lively gestures... incited the laughters.

She did mention the busy works to prepare the team from match to match from the prelim stage to the knock-out one... and the 6-day interval between the last pool match to the QF provided the team ample time to do the final preparation, analysis on the opponent, which player was suitable to field as the starting six in that QF match in view of the opponent profile and player's own readiness, training and re-energize the team to face the pinnacle task etc. That QF match was indeed the most important one for the Chinese team, even Lang did confirm so, passed this hurdle the next journeys were just easier (Lang definitely had higher confidence against the rest of opponents, significantly higher than against the Brazilian team; she indeed regarded the BRA and USA teams as the toughest opponents). The match against BRA was everything for the CHN team, to be or not to be, to succeed with medal or perish with nothing (the team baseline target was winning medal, of any color), packed and flew back home the next day or the day after tomorrow (they even thought of the flight availability back home in case of failing that match)... will be glad if any one may add up some further info from this video :thumbsup:

2016.09.10.北京师范大学郎平学长报告会郎平演讲部分 (84-min)

(In CN with no Engsub)

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

Edited once, last by samsara ().

• source: http://weibo.com/1974223200/Fq…comment#_rnd1507910950185

She hopes to be a coach in the future.

My favourite roster of Chinese (in 2022)
    male NT:
    S - Yu Yao-chen, Chen Lei-yang
    OP - Jiang Chuan, Dai Qing-yao
    OH - Zhang Jing-yin, Yu Yuan-tai, Liu Li-bin, Fu Hou-wen
    MB - Zhang Zhe-jia, Peng Shi-kun, Li Yong-zhen, Jiang Zhen-yang
    L - Yang Yi-ming, Yang Tian-yuan

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu
    OP - Gong Xiang-yu, Sun Xiao-xuan
    OH - Li Ying-ying, Wang Yi-fan, Wu Meng-jie, Zhuang Yu-shan
    MB - Yuan Xin-yue, Wang Yuan-yuan, Zheng Yi-xin, Liu Yu
    L - Ni Fei-fan, Xu Jia-nan

• Thank you, Samsara..for your latest insight into the Chinese Team 's Rio preparations. Well, maybe it's a bit far fetched..but I believe China actually wanted to meet Brazil in the QF. Their ultimate target is GOLD and nothing else. Their top players stayed away from the Grand Prix Finals in BKK, says a lot. Their loss to the Dutch in the opening game may have changed some of their plans. They have done a lot of research and groundwork on their opponents. At that stage in the competition, you can't make your players jump any higher or spike any harder but you can give them a psychological advantage. Maybe meeting favorites Brazil in the QF gives them a better chance than in the Final. Brazil, being the top team in their group might be a bit complacent and over confident playing the weakest qualifier from the other group.Sometimes playing at home can either be an advantage or disadvantage. If underdogs, the crowd could lift you up..but if as favorites it can add a lot of unwanted pressure...and Jenny Lang Ping played that to the hilt. China,with their bad reputation of a slow starter practically allowed the Brazilian spikers a free for all in the opening set. I remember reading somewhere about the confidence of spikers being blocked. I guess that's when they tightened the screws from the second set..My 2 cents on the game..

• Thank you, Samsara..for your latest insight into the Chinese Team 's Rio preparations. Well, maybe it's a bit far fetched..but I believe China actually wanted to meet Brazil in the QF. Their ultimate target is GOLD and nothing else. Their top players stayed away from the Grand Prix Finals in BKK, says a lot. Their loss to the Dutch in the opening game may have changed some of their plans. They have done a lot of research and groundwork on their opponents. At that stage in the competition, you can't make your players jump any higher or spike any harder but you can give them a psychological advantage. Maybe meeting favorites Brazil in the QF gives them a better chance than in the Final. Brazil, being the top team in their group might be a bit complacent and over confident playing the weakest qualifier from the other group.Sometimes playing at home can either be an advantage or disadvantage. If underdogs, the crowd could lift you up..but if as favorites it can add a lot of unwanted pressure...and Jenny Lang Ping played that to the hilt. China,with their bad reputation of a slow starter practically allowed the Brazilian spikers a free for all in the opening set. I remember reading somewhere about the confidence of spikers being blocked. I guess that's when they tightened the screws from the second set..My 2 cents on the game..

Nope I don't think that the CHN ever wanted to face the hot favourite host, BRA in the QF at the original plan... and I believe any team wanna avoid the host in the QF, I can imagine the host team was a hot potato that no one wanna hold in such early KO stage :-) but the slip against the NED in its 1st match might have changed the CHN team's plan altogether... they might possibly just take the challenge of destiny since if it attempted to invest an all-out in the prelim to alter its bottom position, the team might possibly still fail to alter its pool position yet it expended its resources and might not have much left in the QF. Therefore I guess that after secured two straight 3-0 wins over ITA & PUR and saw no upset, the CHN team just locked its 4th position in the pool and prepared accordingly....

I didn't get this part

He he he you just spotted the weird part of the info :-) and I had to look back on the schedule to try to decipher it...

There are two possibilities:

(1) I simply wrongly understood what Lang Ping said on the available days to make preparation from pool to the QF match; or

(2) Lang clearly saw the path her team would tread after losing to NED (1st match) and winning over ITA (2nd match) & PUR (3rd match)... that CHN would eventually end up in the 4th position and an early encounter against the hot favourite host in QF was inevitable thus made next plan based on that new reality. I checked the match vs PUR was on 10 Aug and QF was on 16 Aug :-) and btw I didn't get the opportunity to watch the pool match CHN vs SRB & CHN vs USA... the replays were just locked by the great IOC or its bloody sponsors' copyright embargo :wall:

Well, it's up to every one's take what to believe I guess... (and I believe in the 2nd part)

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

Edited 4 times, last by samsara ().

• source: http://bbs.vbol.cn/thread-293227-1-1.html
    China U18 3-0 Russia U18 [25-19,25-23,26-24]
    The roster of China U18:
    WS - Zhuang Yu-shan, Xu Lu-yao (also OP), Sun Xiao-xuan (also OP), Che Wen-han, Liu Yu, Sun Ruo-jing
    MB - Wu Meng-jie, Jiao Dian, Sun Yu-qing
    S - Sun Yan, Chen Fang-lin
    L - Ni Fei-fan
    Russia U18 including Pushina (MB)
    In 2017, the matches of "China women's volleyball national team" should be ended.

• --- though she is still in the roster of Jiangsu VC of Chinese League 17/18.
    source:
    http://sports.sina.com.cn/othe…doc-ifynwhww5724748.shtml
    title:
    The time to say goodbye is closer and closer. Hui Ruo-qi said, "I will find a timing to announce the retirement."

male NT:

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu

• Lol why do Chinese retire so damn early. Like she is only 26, what is you in a hurry about :rolll: When you think about it there are so many players that haven't even been shining untill their mid 20s, I know it is not very usual but definitely not rare either. Just leaves me confused and worried, imagine Zhu Ting retires in a few years... :aww: :down: ;(

• Good luck to her. I guess her heart problem is not getting better.

• http://www.volleychina.org/b/2017/1130/3981.html
    the roster of players: https://pan.baidu.com/s/1c1Hxuq0
    According to Wu Meng-jie's age, they should be the age of 15 and 16 in 2018.
    The roster equals "the wide roster of 2018 U17 ACH for the first time".

male NT:

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu

• Happy Birthday to Lang Ping.
    Today is her 57th birthday.

male NT:

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu