Serbian NT 2017

• New year, new thread.

There was some speculation whether Terzić would remain as the coach, he said there was never any doubt about it and he's as eager and motivated as ever. He's had two big dreams, one was to win an Olympic medal and the other to become the world champion. One has been achieved and if Serbia wins the WCh, he'll consider his job done.

According to him, the most important tournament this year will be the WCh qualies in Poland. That's something I totally agree with - the group is tough and direct qualification in May is an absolute priority. After that, the goal is to win a medal at ECh. They also want to do as well as possible in Grand Prix, but they'll mostly use it as a preparation, like always. Speaking of GP, Serbia will apply to host the final tournament next year.

There shouldn't be many changes from the Olympic squad. Ognjenović and Nikolić said they might retire from NT, but it's not certain yet. I'm pretty sure we won't be seeing Nikolić again. It should open up a spot for an OH and I believe Bojana Milenković and Nikolina Lukić will be given a chance. Both have struggled a lot with injuries and illness over the last years, particularly Lukić had fallen off the radar after being one of the biggest prospects for Serbia. Now they're finally fit and healthy and they're doing great in Serbian league. I'm sure both will be called up, especially considering that Terzić stated that getting as many players from the domestic league to the NT level is a high priority for him.

• I just wish Malagurski was playing as OH in Italy, and she had played as OH last season in Turkey....because she`s killing it. Maybe she can adjust well like Mihajlovic play in club as OP and NT as OH> and the good news for Serbia is that Mihajlovic has been playing as OH in China... a Boskovic/Mihajlovic/Malagurski would be really strong. I hope Maja comes back for the World Championship.

• Someone tell the Coach that Mihajlovic and Boskovic service errors are actually killing them. :whistle:

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• I agree 100% that the WCH qualies have to be the main focus for this year, but the schedule is quite unfortunate. The matches in Poland start on May 23rd but many of the top players will be playing the Club WCH which ends on May 14th. If Volero, Vakifbank, Eczacibasi and Oscasco are all at the CWCH then a lot of key players will not have much time to prepare with the NT and may be tired. Still, Serbia should qualify without too much difficulty due to the strength of the roster.

I really think gold should be the target for the ECH. Europe has a lot of strong teams of course, but for Serbia to go home with anything less than bronze would be very poor I think and gold is certainly achievable since we know they can beat all the other teams.

Hopefully Nikolic will not come back again, she has added nothing to the NT since 2011! OH is probably the most interesting position because there is Mihajlovic and Malesevic but not very much after that. There is Busa of course and I think she is a good player but she hasn't shown anything yet to make me think she can be a starter for one of the best NTs in the world. I don't know much about the youngsters but I would be interested to see some fresh names in the roster. Could Lazovic be given a chance or is it still too early for her? Is Rankovic still considered an option?

• Someone tell the Coach that Mihajlovic and Boskovic service errors are actually killing them. :whistle:

In a way I agree, but sometimes their serves can really help the team (especially Boskovic's). Sure they miss a lot, but these are points that the opponents mostly win anyway. If Boskovic can hit 3 or 4 of her jump serves well in a row then it can be the difference between winning and losing a set

• In a way I agree, but sometimes their serves can really help the team (especially Boskovic's). Sure they miss a lot, but these are points that the opponents mostly win anyway. If Boskovic can hit 3 or 4 of her jump serves well in a row then it can be the difference between winning and losing a set

It helps them in a way? I can't really believe that considering most female players can't really crush the ball as hard as men. Even a good jump floater is enough to cause havoc in the reception but if Serbia keeps on relying on that then good luck to them on their more silver finishes or less. :whistle:

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• Well, their serves were one of the main reasons why they reached the final in the first place. I'm sure Russian players still remember them.

More like thanks to Kosheleva not being able to receive or the fact the russians were without some of their key players.

Serbia were a good enough team to beat Russia. It could have been a surprise if they didn't.

#FreeBritney

• More like thanks to Kosheleva not being able to receive or the fact the russians were without some of their key players.

Serbia were a good enough team to beat Russia. It could have been a surprise if they didn't.

Whatever, what key players was Russia missing? Starteseva? she was not even a starter and would have not made any difference, Ichenko? no difference either. If u r talking about Gamova and Sokolova, then I guess you live in the past.

Serbia beat everybody else expect for China in the past 2 years,that`s why they wont 2 silver medals. They just have a problem with China, same in the men`s Italy can beat everyone expect for Brazil. ( they beat China in the preliminary round, but I`m talking finals )

And all the Serbians performance in club leagues says it all, and also Boskovic`s MVP at the CWCH says even more.

• When Boskovic competed at the WCH 2014, she was 17. Does anybody knows if she was still in High School at that time?

And in Serbia how does it works? The kids practice sports in school like in the US or they need to find a club to practice like in Brazil for example?

• Whatever, what key players was Russia missing? Starteseva? she was not even a starter and would have not made any difference, Ichenko? no difference either. If u r talking about Gamova and Sokolova, then I guess you live in the past.

Serbia beat everybody else expect for China in the past 2 years,that`s why they wont 2 silver medals. They just have a problem with China, same in the men`s Italy can beat everyone expect for Brazil. ( they beat China in the preliminary round, but I`m talking finals )

And all the Serbians performance in club leagues says it all, and also Boskovic`s MVP at the CWCH says even more.

You sound rude.

Russia wouldn't be that weak if their pool was deflated.

And for starters Startseva>>>>>>Pankova

Btw Serbia had become a better team because Serbia finally found out that having Malasevic as your other outside hitter would be more beneficial to the team.

And look at Eczacibazi now. Getting beaten up. :whistle:

And how dare you to imply that I can't see Boskovic for the talent she is or anything.

I'm just begging for someone to tell the coach that there are better serves out there for Boskovic and Mikhaylovic. You know it all comes down anyway with service errror vs service attempts anyway not power. (it doesn't hurt to add that)

I still don't get that Serbia can't beat China considering they never really met in a final until that. China can't even be bothered anyway since Lang Ping has been taking her team B instead.

BTW,China won in the final because they controlled their errors. :read:

#FreeBritney

• And in Serbia how does it works? The kids practice sports in school like in the US or they need to find a club to practice like in Brazil for example?

No, it's not like in the USA. Schools and clubs are independent of each other. Most teenage athletes who are seriously doing sports only to go to high school part time, that is, they get a special dispensation not to attend the classes every day and instead take exams periodically (like I believe was the case with Bošković), or they go to a special high school for sports where daily classes are organized around their trainings. Of course, the number of students in such school is limited and not everyone gets in.

• I think Rankovic must be invited considering they lack good receiving OHs.. I am not sure why she hasn't been called till now, but I hope Terzic invites her

She was on the wide roster last year but didn't make the cut because of Nikolić who probably Terzić thought he owed her to go to another Olympics and Buša who is his favourite for whatever reason. I'm sure she'll at least be given a chance again this season.

I don't know what to think about Sanja. Terzić insists that she, Popović and Ćebić earned the silver medal as much as those who played in Rio, which would mean he's seriously counting on her. But I guess it must be really hearbreaking to spend the whole summer with the NT year after year only to be cut off at the last moment.

• I agree on the discussion about Boskovic's serves but not to Mihajlovic's. Boskovic is like a ticking bomb in the serve line and so far in Eczacibasi, I didn't see her being dangerous except 2-3 matches from the serve line. The problem is she misses too much or serves only top spins under stress. When she serves really hard which happens once in a while, she gets a direct ace but that's not enough. I think most coaches would prefer players who has more amount of serves per set than only the number of aces they make. I'm glad she is with Neslihan though who is a very good example of showing that you can be consistent and have a dangerous serve...On the other hand, if Boskovic learns to be consistent from the serve line, she will sure remain as world's best opposite for years :drink:

Edit: Just wanted to add her serve stats from this season: She served 10.7 times per match, made 1.4 aces and 4.2 errors per match. It's unfortunately very few number of total serves per match and her number of errors are quite high, compared to what she delivers.

• I agree on the discussion about Boskovic's serves but not to Mihajlovic's. Boskovic is like a ticking bomb in the serve line and so far in Eczacibasi, I didn't see her being dangerous except 2-3 matches from the serve line. The problem is she misses too much or serves only top spins under stress. When she serves really hard which happens once in a while, she gets a direct ace but that's not enough. I think most coaches would prefer players who has more amount of serves per set than only the number of aces they make. I'm glad she is with Neslihan though who is a very good example of showing that you can be consistent and have a dangerous serve...On the other hand, if Boskovic learns to be consistent from the serve line, she will sure remain as world's best opposite for years :drink:

Edit: Just wanted to add her serve stats from this season: She served 10.7 times per match, made 1.4 aces and 4.2 errors per match. It's unfortunately very few number of total serves per match and her number of errors are quite high, compared to what she delivers.

I agree wholeheartedly.

I have reservations with Brankica but then having two players committing service errors could kill a team like they did in the olympics.

And yes totally agree with service attempts/service error ratio becoming a better reflection on a player's effectiveness on the service line rather than ace per set.

#FreeBritney

• ololol after talking so much about Boskovic`s serve, she scored a ace to give Ecz a 3-0 over Uralocka

Too bad Vakifbank or Fenerbahce weren't Uralocka when Vitra needed that ace. :whistle:

#FreeBritney