Germany NT 2017

• Felix Koslowski is now officially the head coach of German NT. In 2016 he didn't have a "real" contract, now he does. However the press release does not say anything about the duration of the contract, just that 2017 is an important year for NT, that they want to qualify for WCH and reach quarterfinals in ECH...

I think it's a good choice. I was sceptical last year, but Felix did a very good job in summer with the reduced team and the players like him a lot and speak very positive about him as coach.

• What will happend with German NT this year ??

Who is out from older players ?? Does Germany have new good players as old ones ?
    I don't know any good new OH or OPP..

• I don't think Saskia Hippe will be back to NT, there was no explanation for her absence last summer but I remember some rumors that it had to do with Koslowski.

The only one who has officially retired from NT is Heike Beier, plus Maggi Kozuch has moved to beach volleyball. There have been no news about Brinker, Weiss, Apitz in terms of NT. I guess the core of the team will be the same that we saw in 2016 plus a few new faces and maybe some old ones returning.

• Wide roster of men NT has been announced today, so I hope there will be info about women's team soon as well. Either way, here are my thoughts:

S: Mareen Apitz is the best setter we have, but no idea if she still wants to play NT. Denise Hanke must be there as well. In addition I want to see Denise Imoudu and especially Irina Kemmsies as young prospects for the future. IMO there is no space for Kathleen Weiss, Lena Möllers or Mareike Hindriksen anymore.

OPP: aka problem position #1, the only real OPP we have after Kozuch's departure is Louisa Lippmann. Hanna Orthmann was supposed to be turned into OH in her club but it didn't work out well at all, so maybe she'll remain as backup OPP in NT after all. Also Lena Stigrot could play as OPP. I have no idea if Saskia Hippe has any intentions of returning to NT, if she does she could surely be a big help.

OH: I have no idea if Maren Brinker will return, she could be important for experience. Other than that I expect the same names as last year, that means Lisa Izquierdo, Jana-Franziska Poll, Hanna Orthmann, Lena Stigrot, Katharina Schwabe, maybe Anne Hölzig but she didn't impress in her club, plus I expect Jennifer Geerties to return. As new faces I think Tanja Großer and Sina Fuchs deserve an invitation for their performance in the league.
    EDIT: Of course Laura Emonts also deserves to be back, totally forgot about her earlier...

MB: aka problem position #2, we simply have no players on international level there. Berit Kauffeldt's stats in Beziers are rather...."modest", Wiebke Silge spent almost all season on the bench of Potsdam and when she got chances she blew them, Leonie Schwertmann isn't any better than last year, there are no news about the condition of Anja Brandt who could be a big help if healthy, Marie Schölzel still is in the "talent"-status, Jennifer Pettke played very little in Stuttgart and when she did she wasn't impressive. Juliane Langgemach played a good season overall, plus Barbara Wezorke should really be invited finally. Lisa Gründing who kicked Wiebke Silge out of Potsdam's starting six IMO doesn't have the potential to play on international level, but I wouldn't mind her getting a chance to prove me wrong.

L: Lenka Dürr will be main libero for sure, but then it gets thin...I assume Sophie Dreblow will be there again as young talent, but other than that I have no idea who could be invited. Maybe Anna Pogany and Lisa Stock, but neither of them is really great.

• Wide roster of men NT has been announced today, so I hope there will be info about women's team soon as well. Either way, here are my thoughts:...

After watching a lot of of players in the last months on court: Apitz disappointed me in the two matches I watched. Hanke was rather better. I would prefer to see Großer and Kemmsies in Nationalteam. They have developed very well, a very nice step forward. Orthmann and Hölzel has not yet reached the level, successfully playing in the national team. In MB we have the problem, that only 2nd ranked german MB played in the league. Silge seemed to have the problem of not getting any ties in Potsdam. Schölzel and Pettke played only a little. Maybe Schölzel is the solution for the future, but she needs al lot of match practice. So its not useful, to sit on bench in Schwerin.

In the other opinions: I agree with you.

• Lisa Izquierdo says that she suffered an ankle injury in January but continued to play until the end of the season which made it worse. I could imagine that she joins NT late or depending on her recovery even takes the summer off...

• German 22 player roster for Montreux: http://www.volleymasters.ch/de…ger%20germany/team_roster

Maren Brinker is the new team captain.

S: Denise Hanke, Lena Möllers, Irina Kemmsies
    OPP: Louisa Lippmann, Kimberly Drewniok, Frauke Neuhaus
    OH: Maren Brinker, Jana Franziska Poll, Jennifer Geerties, Lena Stigrot, Julia Schaefer, Lisa Izquierdo, Dora Grozer, Laura Emonts
    MB: Jennifer Pettke, Berit Kauffeldt, Marie Schölzel, Juliane Langgemach, Leonie Schwertmann, Barbara Wezorke
    L: Lenka Dürr, Anna Pogany

Hanna Orthmann and Sophie Dreblow are not in the roster, I assume they are with Junior NT during Montreux but will join senior NT afterwards.

What can I say...looks like Koslowski loves players that spent the whole season on the benches of their clubs (Drewniok, Neuhaus, Schaefer, Grozer, Pettke, Schölzel) :aww: and he doesn't like those who were on court and showed good performances (Tanja Großer, Sina Fuchs, Katharina Schwabe for example).

New players: Irina Kemmsies, Frauke Neuhaus, Julia Schaefer, Barbara Wezorke (Anna Pogany, Dora Grozer and Kimberly Drewniok have practised with the team last summer but didn't play any matches)
    Returning players: Maren Brinker, Jennifer Geerties, Laura Emonts, Juliane Langgemach (she was with the team in WGP 2015)
    OUT: Mareen Apitz, Kathleen Weiss, Wiebke Silge, Anne Hölzig, Denise Imoudu (I heard that she was invited but refused for this summer)

• No Hippe :?: ;(

• And here already is the official announcement by the federation: http://www.volleyball-verband.…-gibt-kaderkreis-bekannt/

In addition to the 22 players listed above, Lisa Stock (L) and Lisa Gründing (MB) were invited, so my initial picks weren't that far off :D
    Koslowski also states that he has been talking to Saskia Hippe, she has some knee problems at the moment and wants to go through some medical checkups after the club season, but she might join NT if her health allows it :super:
    There is no mention of Hanna Orthmann and Sophie Dreblow though...so maybe they will be only with Junior NT this summer.

Koslowski is quite annoyed that several players (he doesn't give names) refused the invitation due to injuries, University or "personal reasons". He says now it's his job to make playing for NT more attractive again for the players, in his opinion it should be the greatest honor for a player to be allowed for her country...

He will call 18-20 players for the preparation to WCHQ and Montreux starting on 8 May, after Montreux the rest of the invited players will join the camp and prepare for WGP and ECH.

• Apitz told a newspaper from Dresden that she declined the invitation due to "personal reasons" and that NT is not a matter of interest for her right now, she refused to explain it any further.
    Kathleen Weiss is already 33 and even in her best days wasn't a superstar, so it's time for new setters IMO. However I'd rather have Weiss than Möllers to be honest, but my hope is that Irina Kemmsies will use her chance well, she has big potential.

• Apitz told a newspaper from Dresden that she declined the invitation due to "personal reasons" and that NT is not a matter of interest for her right now, she refused to explain it any further.
    Kathleen Weiss is already 33 and even in her best days wasn't a superstar, so it's time for new setters IMO. However I'd rather have Weiss than Möllers to be honest, but my hope is that Irina Kemmsies will use her chance well, she has big potential.

I didn't know about Apitz.. I think she is good, at least I think she's the best among the german setters. Weiss is experienced at least and that is always needed IMO :rolleyes: if Hanke (since Apitz is not there) has problems, having Weiss could be comfortable.. anyway thanks Matthias! :wavy:

• VC Wiesbaden announced that their OH Tanja Großer now has been invited to NT trainings and they quote Koslowski saying that she is one of the few German OHs playing as starter in a top team of the league and being a leader on court so of course she deserves an invitation. No idea why she wasn't on the original list though :roll: Maybe she was meant to be there but there was a confusion between Großer and Grozer...

• 18 players for the training camp for WCHQ and Montreux preparation:

S: Hanke, Möllers, Kemmsies
    OPP: Lippmann
    OH: Brinker, Geerties, Poll, Stigrot (also OPP), Großer, Grozer
    MB: Kauffeldt, Pettke, Schwertmann, Langgemach, Wezorke, Schölzel
    L: Dürr, Pogany

After Montreux the rest of the players will join the training. No mention of Laura Emonts, she's no longer in the roster but there is no word about why.

• Another change in the wide roster for Montreux: Hanna Orthmann replaces Julia Schaefer (who was supposed to join NT after Montreux anyway). No info yet about why Emonts is no longer in the list for this summer, she's playing very well in Prostejov at the moment.

• This comes quite as a shock: with only 20 years, Wiebke Silge decides to retire from professional volleyball :white:
    She says she never liked the idea of combining a career as athlete with studying at the same time, so now she decided to just focus on studying.

She was supposed to be the biggest talent in Germany on MB position, being in Senior NT already with 18 years, and now she quits :( She already spent pretty much the whole club season on bench and when she played she was no good, probably she didn't really enjoy playing anymore for quite a while, but I was hoping she'd get back to her former shape at least...

• Wiebke Silge

This comes quite as a shock: with only 20 years, Wiebke Silge decides to retire from professional volleyball :white:
    She says she never liked the idea of combining a career as athlete with studying at the same time, so now she decided to just focus on studying.

She was supposed to be the biggest talent in Germany on MB position, being in Senior NT already with 18 years, and now she quits :( She already spent pretty much the whole club season on bench and when she played she was no good, probably she didn't really enjoy playing anymore for quite a while, but I was hoping she'd get back to her former shape at least...

This comes quite as a shock: with only 20 years, Wiebke Silge decides to retire from professional volleyball :white:

Wow this is indeed a big shock :white: She was considered to be even bigger prospect than Fürst :aww: Any other prospects in MB position?