Germany NT 2017

• 19 players are training in Schwerin for ECH preparation. Dora Grozer is out, she hasn't fully recovered yet from a knee injury earlier in summer. Lisa Izquierdo joins the team for the first time this summer after recovering from an ankle injury and Berit Kauffeldt is back after a hand surgery. Lisa Gründing apparently left a good impression in the few days she was with the team before WGP because she was invited again. Koslowski intends to reduce the team to 16 players for the matches against Turkey in 2 weeks.

S: Denise Hanke, Irina Kemmsies, Lena Möllers
    OPP: Louisa Lippmann, Kimberly Drewniok
    OH: Maren Fromm, Jennifer Geerties, Jana Franziska Poll, Tanja Großer, Lisa Izquierdo, Lena Stigrot (also OPP)
    MB: Marie Schölzel, Leonie Schwertmann, Jennifer Pettke, Barbara Wezorke, Berit Kauffeldt, Lisa Gründing
    L: Lenka Dürr, Anna Pogany

• Koslowski has reduced the team to 15 players and has cut Lena Möllers, Lisa Izquierdo, Berit Kauffeldt and Barbara Wezorke. Newcomer Lisa Gründing is still there :white: She must be doing really well in training to be picked over Kauffeldt and Wezorke. Next Friday the team has an official friendly match against Turkey in Schwerin, followed by two inofficial training matches on the weekend. One more player has to be cut before ECH.

Current roster
    S: Hanke, Kemmsies
    OPP: Lippmann, Drewniok
    OH: Fromm, Geerties, Poll, Großer, Stigrot (also OPP)
    MB: Schölzel, Pettke, Schwertmann, Gründing
    L: Dürr, Pogany

• As mentioned in the transfer news topic, Lisa Izquierdo suffered a season-ending knee injury some weeks ago when she was preparing for the season in Romania. On DVV site she says that she managed to destroy everything in her knee (ACL, meniscus and two more ligaments) and she can't play volleyball for 9-12 months, depending on how well her recovery goes :white:
    That means no NT for her next year and I have a feeling that she'll only return as a shadow of her former self :S She has always been a player who relied a lot on her jumping ability and with such a bad injury I just don't see her coming back as the same player. Plus, already now she has a few pounds too much, so a year without volleyball might not do her good in that sense either...

• As mentioned in the transfer news topic, Lisa Izquierdo suffered a season-ending knee injury some weeks ago when she was preparing for the season in Romania. On DVV site she says that she managed to destroy everything in her knee (ACL, meniscus and two more ligaments) and she can't play volleyball for 9-12 months, depending on how well her recovery goes :white:
    That means no NT for her next year and I have a feeling that she'll only return as a shadow of her former self :S She has always been a player who relied a lot on her jumping ability and with such a bad injury I just don't see her coming back as the same player. Plus, already now she has a few pounds too much, so a year without volleyball might not do her good in that sense either...

Really sad to hear! I always thought She and Geerties will be OH duo in German NT for many years, with so many injuries she won't the same player anymore :S

• I was very surprised and also sceptical when she decided to go to Italy with just 18 years but she is using her chances really well so far. Looks like we might finally get some good OHs in NT, besides Orthmann there are Lina Alsmeier (2000) and Emma Cyris (2001) who get a fair amount of playing time in Bundesliga this season and make a good impression.

• Remember when JoanaBG said Germany is like the Caroline Wozniacki of volleyball which I agreed on. Because even though she/German NT both are 'limited' when compared to big teams/players they always at least put a fight on don't go home without a battle :box: Well when Wozniacki made the final of the Australian Open yesterday it made me remember that comparison again. And who knows what Germany can do in a few years if they keep pushing :D