USA NT 2017

• Photo 1: Kiraly and Qiao Ting [a MB participating in 2013 WGP and 2014 WGP]
    Photo 2: all the people
    Photo 3: Kiraly and Zhang Yu [a MB participating in 2015 WGP]

• But the US training camp is not like mostly places where they choose around 20-30 players only and that is it... Hundreds of players are invited and spend the summer at the camp practicing. At the end after evaluating everyone they choose who will compete in each competition, and which players will be on the main roster. The twins and Liz have never been chosen to compete in any senior tournament yet because their level is not good enough. this won`t be their first time in the process, they have been considered senior players for a long time. I think Liz is over 25 and the Twins over 22 or 23.

Just to have a idea the recent tryout had over 240 players. Players still in college are evaluated and invited to practice with the US NT every year.

That "tryout" is a totally different thing. They are mostly college or high school players competing for a spot in the collegiate summer tour / junior national team. They are not competing for a spot in the senior national team.

• Kim Hill back in ( not sure but I think it was in 2012 or 2013) was part of the try out. If remember right she was the only 1 player out of the 250 participants that was chosen to join the National Team. The whole story is on her profile on the US NT page.

I could be wrong but I think Kasrta Lowe was picked from the try out as well. And there`s a few other players that came out from the try out as well...

That "tryout" is a totally different thing. They are mostly college or high school players competing for a spot in the collegiate summer tour / junior national team. They are not competing for a spot in the senior national team.

• After a standout indoor and sand volleyball college career at Pepperdine from 2008 to 2013, Hill was one of 240 athletes at the 2013 open tryouts. She not only made the national team, but earned a starting role.

http://www.oregonlive.com/olym…kim_hill_took_an_unl.html

From March 3-5, 2017, around 240 athletes converged on Colorado Springs with hopes of earning a spot in one of the U.S. Women’s National Team Programs. Athletes who have come out of the tryout include Kim Hill, the 2014 FIVB World Championship Most Valuable Player. Athletes will be bidding for spots not only in the Women’s National Team gym, but also positions on the U.S. Collegiate National Team Programs, both domestic and international.

http://www.teamusa.org/usa-vol…men/national-team-tryouts

• Kim Hill back in ( not sure but I think it was in 2012 or 2013) was part of the try out. If remember right she was the only 1 player out of the 250 participants that was chosen to join the National Team. The whole story is on her profile on the US NT page.

I could be wrong but I think Kasrta Lowe was picked from the try out as well. And there`s a few other players that came out from the try out as well...

MOSTLY college or high school players, obviously there could be some players who already graduated but I would say not many...

Kim Hill was probably the only one who participated in this tryout in the recent years and then went on to the senior team, and a lot of other national teams players participated in this tryout as well but they were still in college at that time.

I would say A LOT of the 240 players are not looking for a spot in the senior A team, they really are competing for spots in the collegiate teams

• MOSTLY college or high school players, obviously there could be some players who already graduated but I would say not many...

Kim Hill was probably the only one who participated in this tryout in the recent years and then went on to the senior team, and a lot of other national teams players participated in this tryout as well but they were still in college at that time.

I would say A LOT of the 240 players are not looking for a spot in the senior A team, they really are competing for spots in the collegiate teams

The 240 players invited are used by USA volleyball to determine if they have any potential with a national team, A or B. Many of the players are seniors in college, but some of the younger players get the invite to see if they can play on the age level teams or college tour teams.

The thing with Kim Hill was that she had played a different position in high school and college. Only durIng the tryouts did they switch her to outside hitter and then she jumped right to the team. A similar player going way back was Yoko Zutterland, who was not wanted by the Japanese federation because she wanted to play in college for her mother. Federation wanted her to join a Japanese club and she said no. She had an American father and went to the open tryout and went straight into the national team.

• The 240 players invited are used by USA volleyball to determine if they have any potential with a national team, A or B. Many of the players are seniors in college, but some of the younger players get the invite to see if they can play on the age level teams or college tour teams.

The thing with Kim Hill was that she had played a different position in high school and college. Only durIng the tryouts did they switch her to outside hitter and then she jumped right to the team. A similar player going way back was Yoko Zutterland, who was not wanted by the Japanese federation because she wanted to play in college for her mother. Federation wanted her to join a Japanese club and she said no. She had an American father and went to the open tryout and went straight into the national team.

Also Kim Hill played for a weaker college team.. All the other girls have played for the top teams and are pretty known by the time they graduate.. For example Penn State- Alisha Glass, Fawcett, Harmotto, Hodge; Nebraska- Jordan, Kelsey, Banwarth; Stanford- Akinradewo, Klineman

• The tryout is mostly a money grab as well as a chance to make sure no one fell through the cracks. 95% of the players there are trying out for a spot on a summer USAV team. It's not actually where the scouting for future NT players takes place.

• Schwerin's setter Lexi Dannemiller has also been invited to NT training. She says she has been there in 2014 and 2016 already and is proud to be called again and will fight for a place in the team that will play in official tournaments.

• is there any possibility that Hooker will get back on the team? she has an amazing season in Minas (the second half towards the end of the Superliga). i just feel the 2 lefties of the current NT are underperforming and Fawcett has been nothing but a promise.

That ship has sailed. Karch was an assistant in 2012 Olympics and saw first hand when Hooker was part of that team. He decided that ne did not want her going forward. She has not been back since and I greatly doubt she will be back with NT when he is coach.

• Photo 1: Kiraly and Qiao Ting [a MB participating in 2013 WGP and 2014 WGP]

Photo 1: Kiraly and Qiao Ting [a MB participating in 2013 WGP and 2014 WGP]

What is the Beijing BAIC team doing here? Taking part in any competition there, what kind of competition? Or just a vacation bonus for the team? :D

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

• What is the Beijing BAIC team doing here? Taking part in any competition there, what kind of competition? Or just a vacation bonus for the team? :D

Travel + warm up for 13th Chinese National Games

My favourite roster of Chinese (in 2022)
    male NT:
    S - Yu Yao-chen, Chen Lei-yang
    OP - Jiang Chuan, Dai Qing-yao
    OH - Zhang Jing-yin, Yu Yuan-tai, Liu Li-bin, Fu Hou-wen
    MB - Zhang Zhe-jia, Peng Shi-kun, Li Yong-zhen, Jiang Zhen-yang
    L - Yang Yi-ming, Yang Tian-yuan

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu
    OP - Gong Xiang-yu, Sun Xiao-xuan
    OH - Li Ying-ying, Wang Yi-fan, Wu Meng-jie, Zhuang Yu-shan
    MB - Yuan Xin-yue, Wang Yuan-yuan, Zheng Yi-xin, Liu Yu
    L - Ni Fei-fan, Xu Jia-nan

• Additional players will be added to the 2017 training roster following the completion of their pro leagues overseas or finishing their college’s academic year. Training rosters are subject to change weekly with new athletes added or removed. Team USA works out weekdays from approximately 8:30-11:30 a.m. All practices at the American Sports Centers are open to the public.

Player (Position, 2016-17 Pro Club, College, Hometown)
    Inky Ajanaku (Middle, Rehabbing in USA, Stanford, Tulsa, Oklahoma)
    Rhamat Alhassan (Middle, College Senior-to-Be, Florida, Glenarden, Maryland)
    Amanda Benson (Libero, Final Season in College, Oregon, Litchfield Park, Arizona)
    Danetta Boykin (Outside, None, Cal St.-Northridge, Los Angeles, California)
    Madi Bugg (Setter, NUC (Switzerland), Stanford, Apex, North Carolina)
    Megan Courtney (Outside, Wroclaw (Poland), Penn State, Dayton, Ohio)
    Lexi Dannemiller * (Setter, Schweriner (Germany), Michigan, West Chester, Ohio)
    Tori Dixon (Middle, Rehabbing in USA, Minnesota, Burnsville, Minnesota)
    Morgan Heise (Libero, Final Season in College, SMU, Hempstead, Texas)
    Madi Kingdon (Outside, IBK (Korea), Arizona, Phoenix, Arizona)
    Micha Hancock (Setter, Wroclaw (Poland), Penn State, Edmond, Oklahoma)
    Molly McCage (Middle, Wiesbaden (Germany), Texas, Spring, Texas)
    Liz McMahon (Opposite, Dresden (Germany), Illinois, Liberty Township, Ohio)
    Kelly Murphy (Opposite, Henan (China), Florida, Wilmington, Illinois)
    Sonja Newcombe (Outside, Sichuan (China), Oregon, Lake Arrowhead, California)
    Krystal Rivers (Opposite, Final Season in College, Alabama, Birmingham, Alabama)
    Amber Rolfzen (Middle, Dresden (Germany), Nebraska, Papillion, Nebraska)
    Kadie Rolfzen (Opposite, Dresden (Germany), Nebraska, Papillion, Nebraska)
    * Note: Lexi Dannemiller’s first day of training will be May 4.

Interesting that Karsta Lowe and Natalie Hagglund are not on the list. But the lists seems to be made up of many players right out of college or a year of pro play. And more will come as soon as they graduate this month. Several OPPs for a change. So I say this is a tryout for them to move up to the next level.

• Karch gave a interview for volleyballmag.com and he said Glass retired.

While most international competitions allow for 14 players on the roster, at the Olympics there are only 12. Kiraly figures that just seven will or might return to the program.
    “I can’t predict that for sure, but we know that (setter) Alisha Glass is retired. She’s getting married and starting a family.

https://volleyballmag.com/kiraly-060917/

(I heard people on volleyballtalk saying maybe she got 2 year suspension for the doping, which means she would not be able to play next season again.)

• American players also started to retire as early as Chinese ones :white:

The 5 players that will not return will be Glass, Lowe, Thompson, Banwarth and Harmotto? :teach: I wonder if two times Olympians Larson and Akinradewo are still considered for the next cycle. They had Scott Arruda when she was 40 years old so I won't be surprised if Akinradewo and Larson would also still play in Tokyo.

Lloyd-Murphy
    Hill-Robinson
    Akinradewo-Adams

Still a good core for next Olympic cycle :super:

The players that were cut before Rio were:

Kreklow-Fawcett
    Crimes, Paolini
    Bartsch-Easy-Vansant
    Hagglund

Vansant and Kreklow retired. Fawcett and Crimes will be 34 at the same age with Larson. Easy and Bartsch will most probably the offensive OHs next Hill and Robinson. Paolini could be the 3rd MB. Did Hagglund also retired?

• Paolini? Like Lauren? She has never been a real contedor in the NT, in fact she has never been picked up for some big tournament.. Gibbemeyer is better than her, so was Dixon before the injury.. If Tetori gets back to her pre-injury form I expect her to be a starter.. They also have fresh faces in the team, Paolini is out of the picture..

My biggest worry is the setter position, as well as the OPP.. Lloyd ia a good player of course, but we know how much she struggled with the fast ofense, and also she was pretty bad in Italy this season.. Alisha retired, Thompson retired, Kreklow retired.. so 3 of the setters that got to play in the last 4 years, and gone now (not to mention Alisha is one of the besh worldwide and was a big big reason for that success)