Japanese NT 2017

• according to Japanese wikipedia, she retired 6th June 2016 :wavy:
    it appeared also on queenseis' website - look at archive from June 2016: http://queenseis-tab.com/2016/06/

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• Thanks a lot for finding the sad news ... she retired on my birthday ;( I tried looking on their website through Google Translate but there isn't a search box I could see.

It's not often that a setter jumps out at me like that. Maybe it's because of the camera angle of the game I was watching. It's almost like one of those "scout" videos where a single camera, though moving and zooming a bit, is positioned behind the server.

• I just saw that recently. I can't remember why or who it was linked from but I'm pretty sure it's exclusively a Japanese thing. They're are the forefront of robotics. I remember them saying those robots move as quickly as humans but the big upside is they don't get tired or suffer injury.

• Nakata said that she doesn't expect Nagaoka to play for the national team this summer due to her injury.

It is also strange that Mizuno did not give the women's team a new uniform this year.

• Thanks for the news guys. I guess Nagaoka's injury is her knee? I watched the fateful replay a few times and couldn't tell what happened. Knees are much worse than ankles, right?

Ohno looked solid through the Club Worlds. I wonder when she got injured?

Torigoe wouldn't play much on the NT with Arisa around--unless Arisa got injured. Torigoe's 25-ish. No longer a Red Rocket? I thought you had to be Chinese to retire at 25.

Iwasaka the new Captain. Hmm. She is, like, the tallest player ever for the Japanese NT, I think. I don't know these girls at all, but I find myself compelled to say I might have picked Shimamura (the only woman in Pro VB to play with product in her hair) if Araki didn't want it. She has great posture. Even Ohno seems like more of an emotional leader. But I used to like Iwasaka more until I soured a bit on the whole Hisamitsu/NT/Nakada thing.

[Edit] Oh, the uniforms. The Japanese uniforms look like anime armor to me. Like they would stand up all by themselves without anyone in them (compared to other teams that either go the Fruit-o-the-Loom T-shirt route, or the nylon body-hugger Brazillian style). I like them. I don't like sleeves.

• Kana Ohno had surgery on her elbow after CWCH so she isn't on NT camp now.
    NEC officially announced 2 weeks ago.

• It's a shame I get no gloating privileges after NEC swept Hisamitsu at the Club Worlds. It wasn't fair with Nagaoka and Shinnabe out. Imagine a full strength Hisamitsu against NEC without Koga and Yanagita. Shivers.

• I don't know if this have been posted here but SAORI SAKODA is retiring from the National Team.

Some people think that she is also retiring from the sport. At this time, from the national team it makes sense (was not going to get in front of Nagaoka unless she changed positions). From a club standpoint, if she retired, Toray would be in real trouble.

• Some people think that she is also retiring from the sport. At this time, from the national team it makes sense (was not going to get in front of Nagaoka unless she changed positions). From a club standpoint, if she retired, Toray would be in real trouble.

You're correct, she's really retiring from the sport as well. She's only 30 :(

• she's really retiring from the sport as well. She's only 30

Well this makes me sad. She was my favorite player until I discovered the NEC Red Rockets. She was the only Japanese NT player I've seen who would beast. And I don't know how most other folks define that term but for me it means simply incorporating a micro-moment of violence in your swing. :super:

And I enjoyed that a successful beasting would trigger a response of joy from her and a big smile, rather than setting off a testosterone bomb like it does in most other players.

Have a happy life Saori!

• A big shock to see that Arisa is not in the Final 18. I wonder if she got injured in training, just speculation no actual information.

Horikawa will probably be the starting Opposite, with Ishii as the backup, in my mind.

• so we have:
    S: Miyashita, Sato, Tominaga
    OP: Horikawa, Y. Ishii (also OH), Nomoto
    OH: Shinnabe, Koga, Uchiseto, Nabeya, R. Ishii, Takahashi
    MB: Iwasaka, Okumura, Shimamura, Matsumoto
    L: Inoue, Kobata

there's some kind of generation change:
    - only Miyashita stayed from S, both Sato and Tominaga were deep reserves in wide rosters few years ago
    - new OP - Sakoda retired, Ebata is absent, while Nagaoka injured, Ishii played mostly as OH, but with quite inexperienced Horikawa and Nomoto she may help on right wing
    - OHs are probably position where most players remained, BUT Saori retired, the rest of names looks similar as in previous years AND Shinnabe returned what should secure passing (some kind of replacement for Saori)
    - only Iwasaka and Shimamura from MBs, Araki is surprisingly out
    - new L, neither Inoue nor Kobata played main role in NT, we had some different names in past years, so it's weird seeing Sato out...

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• Another of my favorites gone or missing. ;( I'm sure there is a story about Arisa, she's too good to be cut. I don't get the Uchiseto love. Yanagita mops the floor with her, from either side of the court. Watanabe is a better hitter but maybe lacks some maturity. Oumi is a no-brainer but I'll wager it's her choice not to play on the NT. Best passer I've seen.

The Libero position will be interesting to watch. I like the muscular Inoue as a server and court presence, but I'm not sure of her as a Libero.

I'm sure Nakada knows what she's doing but this is the Internet where we get to pretend we know better. :teach:

• Help! I just looked at this page: http://w-volley.necsports.net/member_list/

YANAGITA Mizuki is positioned first, which usually means they are the Captain. Sadly, very sadly OUMI Akari is not listed at all. Can any of my Japanese friends shed some light on these situations? Has OUMI retired? Is YANAGITA the new captain?

Edit ... :
    It's true!
    Captain Mitsuaki Yanagida (Newly appointed)
    Secondary captain Kaname Yamaguchi (Newly appointed)
    Secondary captain Saya Koga (newly appointed)

Edit #2 ...:
    I think this means OUMI is retired (along with Torigoe):

Players who are mercilessly retired, how hard the fighting place is. The play of everyone who stood on the court with whole body spirit will remain forever in my heart. Especially, I was really happy that I was able to witness the two victory scenes.
    Akari 's spiritual play, Miku' s Dig and a splendid jump toss were exactly what I thought was this team 's dynamo. It was the number of "6" and "8" jersey that I wanted permanent missing numbers.

;( ;(

This forum doesn't have a good, wet :cry: smiley :wall:

Edit #3:
    Nami Sagawa isn't there. ;( And Rina Sho and bad-ass Emiliya Nikolova are missing.

I've lost a lot this year :P

• Oumi was a great passer, and she could almost beast. Best of all she had a winning court presence. Shucks. This is a big hole.