Japanese NT 2017

• I'm rewatching the JPN v NED game because it wasn't clear to me how JPN came around. I found it on another youtube site. At 14-11 JPN in the third set you can hear the NED coach say (I think): "Stay away from #4, Stay on #2 and #11". Which I think he meant 'Don't worry about Shinnabe, it's Koga and Nabeya who are going to beat us'. Haha. Smart coach :win:

Edit - Midway through the 4th set NED coach says again "Stay away from #4" but I think he's talking about serving. Shinnabe is a good receiver. Haha. Smart coach :win:

• Has Nakaoji retired or is she going somewhere else? I like her.

No further information if she will join other teams in the future.

I"ve only ever seen the 18 player list on that jav.or.jp site. Maybe I haven't looked at the right time.

You just need to scroll down to the very end of the page and you will see this table http://imgur.com/a/q2Ddm Those who are going to play the WGP are marked with a circle.

• You just need to scroll down to the very end of the page

:aww: thanks

• After re-watching that JPN v NED game, I think NED lost it as much as JPN won it. I wonder if there are statistics out there re: what percentage of games that go to 5 sets the Japanese win. I imagine it's above 50%. I've never seen the Japanese players look or play tired. I bet they might have beaten DOM if they could have forced a tie-break, but I dunno. The performance of that DOM team was almost other-worldly. They gave 110% all the way and didn't look like they were going to slow down even if it went five sets.

As for the JPN v NED game, I noticed that Koga was hitting the ball harder as the game went on but couldn't pinpoint where her success was coming from. Nabeya just found the zone with her attacks. Shinnabe played well. Okamura brought some good energy in limited minutes. Team defense was up to what it should be even though there's not much anyone can do against a Plak attack. I really like Plak. Koga had three or four great digs in a row to start the third set which may have boosted her confidence.

And now that shadowman007 has knocked Miyashita off the pedestal I had put her on, I watched Tominaga with new eyes. I could totally live with her. She's clearly got more experience running through her veins. I'd miss Miyashita's defensive digs but Tominaga stole my heart when I saw her spike the ball--three times! :obey: With her right hand, not one of those lefty pushovers (which are also effective, just not as cool). She had the cutest, guilty smile after one of them was called out, like "maybe I shouldn't have done that", but a Nakada challenge showed the ball was in and she got the point. I'm in love :rose:

• Finally, I'll mention:

Risa SHINNABE Uniform Number: 4 Wing spiker Age: 26 who if you look real hard you'll probably see more of her as time goes on. She's been on and off the NT since at least the 2012 games (I think). She's one of the Hisamitsu Club Sleepy Sisters. To be fair, I do think she is 2nd to, if not equal to, her Sleepy Sister Yuki Ishii in terms of all around solid and dependable at every spot on the floor. Good passer, decent serve. Best at quick attacks.

Risa is better than Ishii in terms of reception and floor defense. Ishii improved but I still think Risa is better that's why most of their opponents(both in national team and club team) don't want to serve to her. The coaches know it too.

• Japan has always have special place in my heart. Brazil will always be my #1 favorite, but Japan comes close. Watching Japan plays is another type of excitement you can only get when you see their crazy defensive skills. Japan is no powerhouse when it comes to hitting, but everyone who loves volleyball knows when it comes to floor defense, Japan is on another level. I think the fact that they are shorter than all the other girls forced them to work on their defense floor more. some people say they wish Japan has taller players. i say, no. because their size is actually their advantages when it comes to floor defense. look at russia. they are almost, if not more than 2m, and they move like snail on court.

japan has given me some of my all time favorite players. the legendary kimura who was one of the best all around players of all time. the best thing about kimura is her attitude on court. she never shows arrogance, always humble, and smiling. and during her last years on court, she was like the big sisters to the younger players. even when she was no longer on her glory days, she often rose to the occasion when needed. her floater serve is just amazing to watch and her defensive skills is always entertaining. kimura, ebata, sakoda, and the iconic takeshita and sano made me fall in love with Japan NT even more.

these young players, especially this new Olympic cycle, is quickly caught my attention. the team on the Rio Olympic cycle lacked something, I don't know what. but i lost my interest watching them. but this Grand Prix team brought back the spark.it is nice to see Koga finally playing like that future star that she is destined to be. she is much, much better this time than the last cycle. Ishii and Shinnabe always provide the support system that the team needs. I might be bias but Miyashita is my favorite setter of Japan. I hope she will step up her game. her defensive skills are amazing but she lacks precision and connections. but when she gets it right, she gets it right real good.

kinda funny as well that i also fell in love with japan men nt recently because of their performance in world league. yanagida, yamauchi, otake, and fuji caught my attention. and of course my japan favorite boy, ishikawa, these new generations of players, both men and women, seems promising. i am excited to watch these two teams in more tournament after this.

• Risa is better than Ishii in terms of reception and floor defense. Ishii improved but I still think Risa is better that's why most of their opponents(both in national team and club team) don't want to serve to her. The coaches know it too.

Thanks for helping drive that point home. Risa is a quality receiver from what I've seen, and more importantly she's consistent at it. Not only receiving the ball but also making a good pass with it. Yuki Ishii has been struggling in the WGP with serve reception. And by struggling, I mean she's misjudged a few and given up an ace on them. Happens to the best of them.

:drink:

• floor defense

So that's what you call defense that comes after a block fail :aww: I was getting tired of either pretending that blocking wasn't part of defense or verbosely describing it as "defense that comes if you don't get a block" :D

:aww: thanks :aww:

• Midway through the 4th set NED coach says again "Stay away from #4" but I think he's talking about serving. Shinnabe is a good receiver. Haha. Smart coach :win:

I watched the NED match again because it's a fun one and NED coach does say "Don't serve to #4 (Shinnabe). I'm okay serving to the Libero now. Stay away from #4". Good for Risa. She deserves that respect.

Also, at the end of the game when Nabeya scores the match point and all the girls run to huddle in the middle of the court, the first thing Tominaga does is run over to Coach Nakada, and she gives her a High-10 and a big hug with a big smile, like they're old friends. Nakada is almost in tears!

I think Miyashita may already be out. :whistle:

• too bad though because I like Miyashita. she is very quick on defense and having a tall setter for Japan will be an advantage for them. i hope the head coach will not cut her. making her a back up setter will be good as long as she has time to develop with the NT. I dunno how old Tominaga is right now but I think Miyashita is younger. so she has the energy and time to develop. I still have faith for Miyashita to make it to Tokyo 2020.

• I really like Miyashita, and when Japan won the Silver at the 2013 GP I was felt like Miyashita was ready to take over Takeshita`s place. I just don`t know what went wrong and why she did not keep improving.

• Koyomi Tominaga is already 28 (born in 1989) as far as I remember she was invited to NT trainings a few times many years ago but never got a chance to show her up. Nonetheless, I think she's a really good setter and I get why Nakata seems to like her over Miyashita.

It's interesting the average height of Japan NT's setters has got a lot enlarged compared to the time with Takeshita and Nakamichi (both 1,58cm). :white:

• It makes me a little sad if we are already writing Miyashita's obituary because as I've said, I think she is the quickest most courageous on the floor defender on the team. But she's got a day job, and that's setting the ball and controlling the pace. I'm pretty happy with what I've seen of Tominaga. And she spikes the ball! She'll be 32 in 2020. I think a 30-something setter is not unusual, but she won't be the digger Miyashita is.

I think I read somewhere that Miyashita started out as an outside hitter and was transitioned to setter by ... Manabe? Maybe she'll transition back and fill in at setter if/when needed.

This video's got a little Miyashita love:
    JAPAN - Legendary Defense - FIVB WGP to Volleyball WORLD CUP 2015

• I think I read somewhere that Miyashita started out as an outside hitter and was transitioned to setter by ... Manabe? Maybe she'll transition back and fill in at setter if/when needed.

She was transitioned to setter by Kawamoto, coach of Okayama Seagulls, when she was scouted and joined the team.

Miyashita is also my favourite. I hope she will perform better this weekend.

• Just occurred to me that a lot of the other teams at the WGP are fielding young players while Japan seems to be a bunch of old fogeys. Koga is the youngest and she seems like a veteran out there. We'll see how this plays out.

They should have drafted YANAGITA :mad:

• Just finished the JPN v THA game. It was fun but not terribly exciting.

My scouting report from the WGP so far:

Shinnabe has been rock solid everywhere. No surprise.
    Yuki Ishii is struggling a bit. I bet her stats are okay but she's made a few more mistakes than usual, I think. It's a Sleepy Sister issue. I don't notice all that she does that's good, because it's expected, and usually without flourish.
    Shimamura is a stabilizing presence but gosh darnit she needs to hit the ball harder. Seems to always lollypop it over, which is effective now and then but I wanna see her crack 'em a little more. Maybe it's Tominaga's fault.
    Koga is Koga and improving, imo. She's digging really well when she's in the back court. I'm happy about that. And I still think/hope she will become a blocking machine someday. She has good timing if she's set, but doesn't do as well following the attackers (because, as I insist, she's not very quick on her feet).
    Nabeya is attacking very well, but a small liability on other hits. She's a bit of a drama rush. Flapping her arms and looking like a goofy bird, running over the floor moppers, bumping into teammates and whatnot. I like her but she makes me a little nervous.
    Tominaga continues to impress. Love her spiking. And she's digging really well. Has the best timing relationship with Okumura, I think. Miyashita is almost a distant memory ;(
    Inoue is doing fine at Libero. She's growing on me. She's quick and getting better at block coverage. I love how quickly she bounces back up after a dive/dig. She and Kobata have been rotating almost every other play it seems. Is that unusual? I don't notice Kobata as much. You should notice your Libero. They should get camera time if they are doing their job.
    Iwasaka didn't play today. I don't know how to judge her.
    Still puzzled by the Uchiseto (one of my least favorites) in place of Horikawa (one of my favorites) move.

• Rotating liberos is a coaches thing. One does serve receive and the other on defense when the serve. Liberos can't score any points (dig kills, but who's counting), so essentially digging and alternate setter. I would just go with one, but to each their own. Manabe tried it during 2015 World Cup.

Looking at numbers for Japanese players
    The middles are really ineffective Okumura did good in last two games over .600 hitting, but Iwasaka and Shimamura are just not getting kills. 21 blocks in 21 sets for the middles as a total. Where is Araki when you need her?
    Koga is getting the ball way too much. 54, 63, 53 and 40 attempts. Japan may want her to be the focus of the offense, but middles cheat in blocking.
    Tominaga has been ok, attacks more than Miyashita, which is ok to keep the defense honest
    Nabeya has been the spark plug for Japan since her time with Manabe. Japan play differently with her in the game. I would almost prefer her to start, but if she comes off the bench, I understand why.

• Looking at numbers for Japanese players

Thanks Brahmin for such a great insight. I always knew (and obviously can see) there's something wrong with the current MB line up but really, numbers do speak for themselves. Literally have no idea what Iwasaka is doing at the moment. Either Kana Ohno or Araki would be a far better choice than Nana, period.

Anh big big applause for sitenoise to make this topic alive :heart: . Im pretty head of heels about Japan's team as much as you are but definitely not able to express and follow them as detailed and closely as you do now. Keep it up :drink: .