Japanese NT 2017

• Shinnabe has been solid this tournament. What I like about her is she is so elegant in her passing. Almost always puts it right where the setter can do the most with it. I often mention player A or player B being good at receiving/passing, but I'm really just talking about the passing part. The receiving part should go without saying. I'm not sure I understand why receiving a serve should be a problem for any one of the 10-20 women chosen as the best volleyball players in their country. Other skills, I guess.

Part of it depends on the coaching that the player had when learning the game. Russ Rose, Penn State coach, said that while players may focus on specific things for their position, all players must pass and set on his teams. This enables a well rounded player when needed.

Japanese culture is very much into practice makes perfect, so the serve receive teams take a ton of practice. Additionally, this has been a focus of the national team even in Manabe's last few years. Good passing leads to a better run offense. I want Japan using the middles to help the outsides. With good passing, that is possible, without it "everyone go towards Koga" to block.

Plus with only 3 main targets (middles only take the ball when it hits the net or is too short) in serve receives, you've got to move to get in front of the ball in a short time and then get ready to hit.

• I suppose me asking 'why can't every volleyball player receive a serve' is like asking 'why can't every baseball player hit a pitch'. That's the game! :D Certainly sensible to put your best receivers in a position to receive and make a good pass, because, as you describe that's where the offense starts. I could never receive one of those crazy knuckle balls coming over the net :rolll:

I don't know much about Nomoto and how well she receives but calling her up in place of Horikawa is interesting. I wonder how Mari ended up in the doghouse. I thought she played well the first week (serving errors aside).

When Nagaoka comes back it will be nice having her and Koga on the wings to spread the defense a little. I think it's @Rains_of_Castamere who prefers an OP who can also receive, but that involves a deeper understanding of the game than I possess at this juncture.

I can't judge the MBs on their blocking very well, but it seems like Ohno is one of the better attackers (that might just be her connection with Yamaguchi, her NEC comrade, though). And Okumura is making a name for herself in that department in her absence.

• So ... if Japan beats Russia tonight (or tomorrow, depending on where you are) and either BRA or NED lose then JPN makes the Final 6. NED is unlikely to lose to BEL, and it's in BRA's favor that their game is in Brazil. Not to mention that JPN has to beat RUS. I'm loving the drama. (hope I have that scenario correct)

What lineup do you think Nakada will put out there? Will she pull another one out of her hat or go with:

Tominaga and Inoue
    Koga and Shinnabe
    Okumura and Shimamura (or go with the taller ones)

Nabeya will stroll in at some point, maybe run over one of the floor-moppers and trip over one of her teammates, and be the hero. Yay Yurie!

This is my first International tournament as a volleyball fan and it's been a lot of fun.

• I really don`t know what line up Nakada will go with this time, but it gotta be their best line up, but at the same time coming up with a new line up could work just like it did against Brazil and even Serbia. I think Koga will play for sure and probably Shinnabe.

Yeah 2 Japan vs Russia today, and this match up is one of my favorite, 2 complete different volleyball style. Both games will be fun.

• Both setters were fantastic for Japan.

Very different styles of play.

Tominaga being the more aggressive setter and Sato as the more collected and sublime playmaker. I especially love the way Tominaga delays her set. It seems like she's about to attack the ball and Sato is really good at giving the more precise ball whenever it is out of system.

Miyashita better improve or else I can see her not making the olympics roster.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• Nabeya as I keep saying is a spark plug. If she's not in and Japan loses a set or two, she comes in and Japan's a different team. With Manabe, she was a serving substitute. But with Nakada, she's an receiving/attacking substitute, which in my mind makes her more valuable to the team.

• I know it's only one game but I "felt" Nabeya was a little awkward as a starter. I think she is playing well, attacking really well and deserves big minutes, but think she is better suited as a 'sixth man', if you will (sorry for my continued NBA analogies) coming off the bench.

The one thing that makes me nervous about her is on those plays where the ball is just going to be 'bumped' over the net. I only saw her dork up one of those (earlier in the tournament) but it has tainted my feeling every time she's going to have to do that move. I get scared she's going to flub it. I'm hardly ever nervous about any Japanese player doing almost anything. There was something amiss last night.

I'll just mention this here as I'm working up my post mortem, my thank yous, etc., saying goodbye to the Japan NT for now ;( ... That game last night against Russia, while wonderful in so many ways--almost everyone stepped up beyond imagination on individual offense--was one of the worst games I've ever seen almost any Japanese team play. I couldn't believe the number of balls hitting the ground because of confusion over who was supposed to get it, or just simply slow decision making, a lack of courage. I need to re-watch it, but it was so disappointing to me I don't know if I can.

• I'm hardly ever nervous about any Japanese player doing almost anything. There was something amiss last night.

Not quite the same feeling, but personally right now all of the Japanese's OH gives me nervous. :obey: :obey: :obey:
    They can't even guarantee a point while facing only one blocker.
    They need to be more aggressive in their attack.
    I am not sure if its because the ball is too fast or too low, but they need to work it out.

• Not quite the same feeling, but personally right now all of the Japanese's OH gives me nervous.

Did you see Shinnabe's cross court shot from Zone 2 a handful of points into the third set against Russia? It went practically parallel to the net. That was a jaw dropper. Beautiful. Smart hitting

• I'm re-watching the first JPN v THA match just because ...

There's a play at 6-4 in the third set where Tominaga, the setter, is in the front row and after a couple volleys receives a soft shot; she passes it to Inoue, the libero, who sets it right back to Tominaga who spikes it. I don't know if that happens more and I haven't noticed it, but it didn't look like a broken play. It looked like a set play. Pretty cool.

If Nakada continues with Tominaga and Sato as main setters for the next few years I hope it doesn't break Miyashita's spirit. Tominaga and Sato are an Olympic cycle or more older than Miyashita. She still has her time to shine. I still contend she and Arisa are the team's best belly-flop on the floor defenders, and I think Japan missed that from them this GP -- mostly in block coverage which I found disappointing throughout.

[Edit] Another thing I notice about this game is that Nakada is talking more to the girls during Timeouts. Ferhat hasn't moved into full talk talk position yet.

[Edit 2] At 15-10 in the third set, the front row is Tominaga, Okumura, Koga (2,3,4); JPN serves, THA returns a long floating overpass to Okumura who sets it to Tominaga who attacks successfully. Damn, what's up with that :D

• Roster for Asian Championship

L: Kotoe Inoue, Mako Kobata
    MB: Shimamura, Iwasaka, Erika Araki (yes!!!), Mai Okumura
    S: Miya Sato, Tominaga
    OS & OPP: Koga, Shinnabe, Nomoto, Nabeya, Risa Ishii, Uchiseto

Yuki Ishii is out of this tournament. I think that she'll be back for Grand Champions Cup.

• So Miyashita is done?

• It helps that she's a lefty so she's more naturally comfortable at doing some of those things. (Tominaga)

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• It helps that she's a lefty so she's more naturally comfortable at doing some of those things. (Tominaga)

Who's a lefty , and what things?

Tominaga doesn't appear to be a lefty. She spikes with her right hand when she does it. And the thing about these plays above that I describe is that they aren't the more typical play where a setter decides for some reason to spike instead of setting. These looked like set plays.

After second thought, the one where Okumura "sets" it to Tominaga and Tominaga spikes it ... well, that one could have been that Okumura was "passing" it to Tominaga and Tominaga just decided to spike it. But if you watch it, it doesn't look like Tominaga made a change decision, she actually takes a few steps back to set herself up for a spike just a Okumura is about to pass/set it....instead of facing center court to get ready to 'set' it to someone.

The one where Inoue set it to Tominaga, there was no going back as it was going to be the third contact. Whomever Inoue decided to pass to was going to have to attack it. Inoue decided to set it Tominaga.

No big deal. I'm just looking for love angles. :rose: :thumbsup:

• So Miyashita is done?

I hope that some of our Japanese insider friends can update us on her situation. I was blindsided by her not being the main setter even though a newbie like me was aware of some of her limitations.

I'd also love some news about Arisa Sato. Inoue and Kobata have been serviceable, but I miss Arisa. She seemed better at block coverage, which is a huge need for Japan. I actually like Inoue quite a bit just for the way she looks and the way she bounces back up off the floor so quickly. She's got a muscular toned body that's uncommon to the Japanese. I wish I could edit little clips of Youtube videos and post them here. There's a play (don't remember where now, but I re-winded and watched it a bunch of times) where Inoue dives out the back court for a spectacular save and in the span of a heartbeat comes diving in (from off screen) across the 3 meter line for another major dig. Some players might rest on their laurels after a spectacular backcourt save. I've seen Kobata be a little slow in recovery.

Anyhow, I wonder any news on how Nagaoka is coming along?

• Must have been tricked by her delayed setting/fake attack. She's really good at that which probably confused my brain on her laterality.

#FreeBritney

• Setters have the most volatile position as always so it is usually the one that gets replaced by someone else.

Japan has a lot of good setters too so the competition has been really tight for Miyashita.

All she can do now is improve her game to catch up to Sato and Tominaga. She's still young and the olympics is still far away.

I really love the balamce berween Sato and Tominaga. Like Yin Yang. Both are extremes of the other. Could help make Japan more unpredictable than they were before.

#FreeBritney

• I like Sato and Tominaga, and agree it's a good they are Yin Yang--doubles the size of scouting report--it's just hard for me to digest--Sato especially is so different from Miyashita, in that Sato is a clever and elegant setter, but she's a giant black hole as a defender, especially when she's covering Zone 1. But as with so much I'm learning around here, Miyashita's flashy defense may not win them games, but it was fun to see. Seems like Japan peaked in their competitiveness when they had peak Setter.